Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is there no new episode this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1070096078895165441

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh sure kill the gay robot, smh at u double decker

Also ever since he was introduced I've been wondering what made A so confident about dealing with his invincible superpowered lieutenant. Turns out he's just dumb I guess???

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 9, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh gosh things are heating up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sindai posted:

Also ever since he was introduced I've been wondering what made A so confident about dealing with his invincible superpowered lieutenant. Turns out he's just dumb I guess???

I think he was counting on him being a follower, sometimes people with power don't try to aim for the top. Clearly not the case here, but it happens sometimes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think he was counting on him being a follower, sometimes people with power don't try to aim for the top. Clearly not the case here, but it happens sometimes.

That does seem like a generally unwise assumption in a criminal organisation.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Although it does make you question why he even broke Zebel out of jail in the first place.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ironically Zebel's lies about B that episode turned out not to be lies. That he wanted to kill him and take over the Org.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like how they gutted any possibility of Yuri coming back. Damned robotic ethics

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how they gutted any possibility of Yuri coming back. Damned robotic ethics

Not any possibility. They've got a backup body, and mentioned that the odds of her core surviving were one in a million. That probably means she'll be back next episode.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
"It took weeks and was quite an effort to find her core, but that's boring so we'll skip it."

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
cant say i was expecting kirill to be an alien or B to be the military guy in cosplay and also probably an alien

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Homura and Sickle posted:

cant say i was expecting kirill to be an alien or B to be the military guy in cosplay and also probably an alien

I think the Military guy is B in cosplay.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang, doug's reaction when his dumb prank on kirill ended up making that scene even more harsh.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

I'll agree with others that I don't think Yuri is dead dead but it still feels kinda pointless to kill her at all the way they did, if so. and if she's dead dead then yeah you've killed one of the three gay characters in the same episode as you make a dumb plot justification for Valery crossdressing out of necessity and nothing more.

B being the military guy also seems excessive shock for no discernible reason, while i can at least jive with all the other poo poo thrown in this episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.crunchyroll.com/double-decker-doug-kirill/episode-12-the-detectives-in-danger-777461

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

dogsicle posted:

the same episode as you make a dumb plot justification for Valery crossdressing out of necessity and nothing more.

I am genuinely confused as to what Valery's gender is supposed to be.

Kirill initially introduced them as his sister, now they show up playing the role of his brother, and...
Are they a woman (cis? trans?) who's now dressing as a man to disguise themself? That doesn't gel with Kirill now calling them his "brother".
Are they a trans man? That doesn't fit with what you mentioned about 'crossdressing out of necessity'!
... are they genderfluid? :iiam:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I am genuinely confused as to what Valery's gender is supposed to be.

Kirill initially introduced them as his sister, now they show up playing the role of his brother, and...
Are they a woman (cis? trans?) who's now dressing as a man to disguise themself? That doesn't gel with Kirill now calling them his "brother".
Are they a trans man? That doesn't fit with what you mentioned about 'crossdressing out of necessity'!
... are they genderfluid? :iiam:

Cis man who disguised himself as a girl in order to throw any otherworldly pursuers off their tail, before hitting puberty, realising this wouldn't work for much longer, and leaving Kiril for good. Kiril was very young when they left Ankoku, so he only remembers Valery as a girl and is pretty confused by the whole thing.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

The whole thing is kinda confusing though -- Milla has continued presenting as female enough that Derrick and others read them as female, so it could be like they began with crossdressing to be safe, but then it felt correct enough that they continued presenting as and socially living as female, except bathroom stuff i guess??? that didn't make sense. and it doesn't explain leaving Kiril.

overall though, I'm not real confident in any media giving trans-related issues nuance or accuracy v:shobon:v not holding my breath on Milla being more than just "hey look, a crossdressing character!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This thing's kind of fallen apart these last two episodes. I wish it had just stuck as a wacky police procedural.

Dear anime: stop introducing "Surprise! Aliens!" all the time, it's not a good twist.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

The whole thing is kinda confusing though -- Milla has continued presenting as female enough that Derrick and others read them as female, so it could be like they began with crossdressing to be safe, but then it felt correct enough that they continued presenting as and socially living as female, except bathroom stuff i guess??? that didn't make sense. and it doesn't explain leaving Kiril.

overall though, I'm not real confident in any media giving trans-related issues nuance or accuracy v:shobon:v not holding my breath on Milla being more than just "hey look, a crossdressing character!"

Umm this very season had Lily from Zombieland and it was handled pretty drat well. You wouldn't expect it from a comedy idol series where the girls are zombies and their manager is a jerk necromancer with a heart of gold

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the idea is that despite valery no longer dressing as a woman as a disguise, he's still kirill's brother. people mistake kirill for a woman all the time and valery, like kirill, is incredibly pretty.

i thought valery was a post-op trans man and that kirill was instantly completely cool with it, but i guess not. that would have been a much better explanation, though!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

overall though, I'm not real confident in any media giving trans-related issues nuance or accuracy v:shobon:v

Play The Missing, or just watch SGF's LP of it.
It's very good.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Umm this very season had Lily from Zombieland and it was handled pretty drat well. You wouldn't expect it from a comedy idol series where the girls are zombies and their manager is a jerk necromancer with a heart of gold

Might have to watch that, then :) thank you!!

The_White_Crane posted:

Play The Missing, or just watch SGF's LP of it.
It's very good.

Good point; I've seen a couple preview LPs of it and know the story, but I'm a little shy on horror/gore games, so I haven't played it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm glad Kirill's landlady got involved.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I thought this one sealed Valery's identity, if anything. He goes by Milla because he's used to it/it's how Kirill introduced him, but as soon as they want things to Get Serious, they call him Valery and he responds by going back to his dude voice.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do enjoy that the main villain of this show is literally a killer klown from outer space.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's not that this is a bad finale, it's just that I have a hard time caring about this plot.

E: YES!!!

Holy poo poo

Holy poo poo

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 23, 2018

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thats some serious Chekhov guns everywhere

Zabel being hyper competent, planning everything to bring down Cooper and then breaking the 4th wall saying that it would be too much to ask for everyone in the main cast to survive before pulling the trigger was super funny. Everything else was fun too

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 23, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

meh.

all of this back half plot stuff was dumb in a way that wasn't entertaining and really brought down my feelings on the show. it's a shame these good characters had to muddle through all that because i liked them all but they deserved a show that let it shine through more.

that post credits gag was perfect though

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Should have been a slice-of-life show like Patlabor. Just a day in the life of these wacky detectives and relegate the big story episodes are two or three parter things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was basically completely zoned out for the first half of the episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

dogsicle posted:

meh.

all of this back half plot stuff was dumb in a way that wasn't entertaining and really brought down my feelings on the show. it's a shame these good characters had to muddle through all that because i liked them all but they deserved a show that let it shine through more.
Pretty much how I feel.

Maybe it'll get a sequel that does that Blood Blockade Battlefront did

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 23, 2018

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
This was a bunch of likeable characters who were let down an uninteresting plot. This wasn't a bad finale but it was wrapping up things I didn't care about.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Echoing the sentiment on the weak plot, but everything else makes up for it, kinda like Tiger & Bunny.

Doug is the best rear end in a top hat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also wish it was longer and also that there was a Yuri episode

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

I also wish it was longer and also that there was a Yuri episode

It would have been cool if there was one, but something felt off the entire time leading to the payoff in finale.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I might be the only person in the world who didn't mind the plot, I had fun with it getting space weird. There'd been so many unexplained questions that got brought up that I thought something that outlandishly weird tying it together kinda worked?

Like ... it's a dumb twist, but it's a dumb show, so. For me it was fine and I was along for the ride rather than frustrated or bored.

I loved the heroic moment fakeout with Doug. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I don't know what it is with this show and fakeouts or why it hasn't gotten old yet.

Next season is gonna open up with 140 of those dudes dying somehow and it's gonna own.