Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how Doug isn’t just this brooding, tormented loner - he’s chill, friendly, supportive, and kind of a space-case. Like, sure, he’s undoubtedly got some baggage, but it doesn’t define him in the ways you’d expect.

Also interesting that they just casually included a gay couple as minor characters in Episode 2. I’m just way more used to these sorts of shows coyly dancing around the idea that gay people might exist in their setting and might actually get into relationships with each other so they don’t scare off the straights while they pile on the subtext. But no, they just made the comedy arguing couple in a one-off scene two dudes. I mean, T&B had Nathan, but it still feels slightly unusual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

an actual dog posted:

Every scene with these two feels like it's gonna end with them declaring their love for one another it's rad.

You mean with Kiril declaring his love for Doug and Doug declaring his love for Eighties bubblegum pop, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I’m assuming Doug’s old partner just moved to another department, huh?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I swear there were a couple of shots early on where Kirill's body was CGI while his head was 2D, I guess because they didn't want to hand-animate that complicated pattern on his coat. I don't think I've seen that technique before.

Land of the Lustrous did something similar to that in order to give its characters livelier expressions.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

just completely skipping over whatever Derrick's tale was, lol

We saw it in the intro. Dude really wanted to become a bartender.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Who voices the narrator, by the way?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, what do you reckon are the odds that B is packing some Hundred Power? We know it's not a unique ability, and it feels like the sort of twist this team of writers would pull.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the impression that Zabel really did gently caress up and really was about to get executed, and for whatever reason, the prison was impenetrable for Bamboo Man (maybe because it was so big, solidly-built, and maze-like that his powers would run out before he got to Death Row?), so B, who was one of Z's hitmen, had Zabel confess to a crime that he, B, had committed on his boss's orders (because Esperanza's lettered officers are ranked in reverse alphabetical order) in order to get him out and render him rescuable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Poor Apple, the only one without a partner.

Also god drat, I just realized Max's gun is a gatling assault rifle. And it has an entirely unusable scope.

Also also I want to know the eyepatch girl's story.

It was kind of interesting how it felt like we were coming in at the end of a high school movie with her and the jock as the leads.

As for Apple, he's the DJ. He's facilitating dances, not dancing himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Max and Yuri still need to kiss.

True, but it was nice of this episode to just casually acknowledge that they're a couple and presumably do a lot of kissing off-screen. One thing that's consistently separated this show from more straightforwardly baity stuff is the constant, background understanding that LGBT folks exist in this setting, and are actually pretty common. Putting more of that on-screen would be neat, but at least they're saying 'yeah, that's an option' rather than hiding in vague subtext and ambiguity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was expecting max's backstory to be something regrettable or pathetic she had risen past since it involved a high school prom. nope! it turns out that max was always cool as hell and it was everyone else who sucked.

It was a neat and surprisingly heavy twist, particularly since the story they seemed to be building towards seemed pretty lame.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The one thing that really surprised me is that Kiril is legit good at rocket-skating.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

So Pink's gun fires high explosive rounds?

I mean, it's not like that's much of a surprise, is it? It even kind of looks like the XM109.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Or a guy, who knows what'll happen. I'm open.

Kiril definitely broadened his horizons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think he was counting on him being a follower, sometimes people with power don't try to aim for the top. Clearly not the case here, but it happens sometimes.

That does seem like a generally unwise assumption in a criminal organisation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like how they gutted any possibility of Yuri coming back. Damned robotic ethics

Not any possibility. They've got a backup body, and mentioned that the odds of her core surviving were one in a million. That probably means she'll be back next episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I am genuinely confused as to what Valery's gender is supposed to be.

Kirill initially introduced them as his sister, now they show up playing the role of his brother, and...
Are they a woman (cis? trans?) who's now dressing as a man to disguise themself? That doesn't gel with Kirill now calling them his "brother".
Are they a trans man? That doesn't fit with what you mentioned about 'crossdressing out of necessity'!
... are they genderfluid? :iiam:

Cis man who disguised himself as a girl in order to throw any otherworldly pursuers off their tail, before hitting puberty, realising this wouldn't work for much longer, and leaving Kiril for good. Kiril was very young when they left Ankoku, so he only remembers Valery as a girl and is pretty confused by the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do enjoy that the main villain of this show is literally a killer klown from outer space.