Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

some_admin posted:

Hell yeah.
I Read Tom Wolfes “a man in full”, introduced me to Stoicism, actually it just put a name on a good chunk of my belief system.

Thanks for the book suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I'm Desktop Support.
It's literally my job to do exactly that.
I'm just too good at it, and too lazy to find something else. Definitely too lazy to start over doing something else.

Also, since I'm currently contract, I don't have any PTO or holidays.

My advice would be GTFO of contracted IT support. I was fired from a similar role last August and it was the best thing that could have happened at the time.

Jumped to a small shop sysadmin role with a startup company, and not having to exclusively fix end user issues all day every day has massively reduced my stress level - to say nothing of effectively being my own boss, having a flexible schedule and a significant pay bump.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a pretty dumb quote either way to be honest. It's easy to tell others they have no business being 'harmed' by anything if you're y'know, the Roman emperor.

Something something ivory tower.

Lmao the quote was to himself.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like the quote. :shrug:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

My advice would be GTFO of contracted IT support. I was fired from a similar role last August and it was the best thing that could have happened at the time.

Jumped to a small shop sysadmin role with a startup company, and not having to exclusively fix end user issues all day every day has massively reduced my stress level - to say nothing of effectively being my own boss, having a flexible schedule and a significant pay bump.

I've been here 18 month so far. To be fair, the lack of PTO is really the only thing that's "bad" about it. This is a pretty decently run shop, compared to where I was, and things that break are usually actually broken rather than just being dumb stuff. Though there are the usual clueless users. Despite being a contractor, the company generally treats me like a regular employee with respect to celebrations, events, free food, etc. At some point I'll probably get fed up with it and demand they poo poo or get off the pot, and look for something else, but for now, the environment is pretty chill and largely low-stress, which is a welcome turn from my previous gig. I do have insurance through the contracting company I actually work for. It's not the best, but it's better than the Marketplace.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Well presumably being the Roman Emperor means people arent screaming hateful abuse at you all the time and you can shrug off the musings overheard from senators and dignitaries or whatever similarly being an attractive white male makes it easy to shrug your shoulders and roll your eyes when someone calls you a douchebag cuz that's the worst abuse you're likely to come across

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Well presumably being the Roman Emperor means people arent screaming hateful abuse at you all the time and you can shrug off the musings overheard from senators and dignitaries or whatever similarly being an attractive white male makes it easy to shrug your shoulders and roll your eyes when someone calls you a douchebag cuz that's the worst abuse you're likely to come across

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

epic double post

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I'm absolutely making one of these for the new house. Probably one with Megatron as well.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
A friend of mine recently sent me a bunch of random car pictures and said, "Hey, I'm at SEMA for the day for work, lemme know if you want pictures of anything."

...kind of hate him right now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

AdiaBOOtic posted:

Anyone enjoy Stoicism? I've been reading a bunch of Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus quotes recently and they've been hitting home for me.

"Choose not to be harmed, and you won't feel harmed. Don't feel harmed, and you haven't been." - Marcus Aurelius

Oppressive mod tells forum goers to shut up and deal with it.

/s

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

AdiaBOOtic posted:

It's a statement that sounds deep but falls apart when you think about it for longer than it takes to read the words, regardless of who it's aimed at. It's good if you can freely ignore objective reality though I guess? Must be nice.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a statement that sounds deep but falls apart when you think about it for longer than it takes to read the words, regardless of who it's aimed at.

Isn't that true about every philosophy or religion, though? What works for some people doesn't work for others. Find one that works for you and go with it. What (most) other people believe or don't believe doesn't have any effect on your life in any kind of way.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

I've been here 18 month so far. To be fair, the lack of PTO is really the only thing that's "bad" about it. This is a pretty decently run shop, compared to where I was, and things that break are usually actually broken rather than just being dumb stuff. Though there are the usual clueless users. Despite being a contractor, the company generally treats me like a regular employee with respect to celebrations, events, free food, etc. At some point I'll probably get fed up with it and demand they poo poo or get off the pot, and look for something else, but for now, the environment is pretty chill and largely low-stress, which is a welcome turn from my previous gig. I do have insurance through the contracting company I actually work for. It's not the best, but it's better than the Marketplace.

That sounds like a much better situation than the one I was in. It pretty much broke me and proved IT contracting is a scam to be avoided at all costs - I'd pretty much have to be in a situation where it's that or getting kicked out on the street to accept another contract gig.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would rather be shot in the head than vote Republican but holy poo poo, at least they don't bother me every other goddamned day. I haven't missed a single vote since I turned 18, LEAVE ME THE gently caress ALONE.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a statement that sounds deep but falls apart when you think about it for longer than it takes to read the words, regardless of who it's aimed at. It's good if you can freely ignore objective reality though I guess? Must be nice.

It's less an absolute that you should take for 100% true and more a proverb that is a good way to model the way you yourself react to the world. It's not meant to be used for someone to persuade others but to help themselves.

You're being weirdly antagonistic about a quote I shared in good faith and lightheartedly.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Rhyno posted:

I would rather be shot in the head than vote Republican but holy poo poo, at least they don't bother me every other goddamned day. I haven't missed a single vote since I turned 18, LEAVE ME THE gently caress ALONE.

I got a series of six messages from those fuckers. One giant text broken into six messages and my phone wouldn't stop going off; they were somehow duplicated. I told them that six messages was excessive and to leave me alone. They haven't stopped yet.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

QuarkMartial posted:

I got a series of six messages from those fuckers. One giant text broken into six messages and my phone wouldn't stop going off; they were somehow duplicated. I told them that six messages was excessive and to leave me alone. They haven't stopped yet.

A friend of mine just pointed out that it's a TCPA violation and that I should report it. Google is helping with that. But yeah, every other day since Oct 1st. Different numbers every time and not bots, I've engaged with a few of them now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Well it would depend on the context it's used in wouldn't it? If someone is just being a jerk to you it could work, but if someone robbed and assaulted you not so much :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

AdiaBOOtic posted:

It's less an absolute that you should take for 100% true and more a proverb that is a good way to model the way you yourself react to the world. It's not meant to be used for someone to persuade others but to help themselves.

You're being weirdly antagonistic about a quote I shared in good faith and lightheartedly.

Hardly 'weirdly' antagonistic my dude, just making a point.

"Choose not to be harmed— and you won’t feel harmed. Don’t feel harmed— and you haven’t been..."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well it would depend on the context it's used in wouldn't it? If someone is just being a jerk to you it could work, but if someone robbed and assaulted you not so much :v:

Yeah, this is it exactly. Without someone explaining it someone might see it as advice to just passively accept everything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

That sounds like a much better situation than the one I was in. It pretty much broke me and proved IT contracting is a scam to be avoided at all costs - I'd pretty much have to be in a situation where it's that or getting kicked out on the street to accept another contract gig.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised how well it's worked. Kind of surprised they didn't hire me full time after a year, too, but there was no term specified at the beginning.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, getting those here, in TX, too, but for a particular candidate (Beto.)

Rhyno posted:

A friend of mine just pointed out that it's a TCPA violation and that I should report it. Google is helping with that. But yeah, every other day since Oct 1st. Different numbers every time and not bots, I've engaged with a few of them now.

I'm sure that they are getting around TCPA by it being individuals of their own free will rather than a business of official campaign. Never mind that the campaign is asking them to.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

campaigns calling or texting you are not a violation of TCPA.

poltical campaigns are specifically exempt from the do not call list

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's stupid. I hate them more than telemarketers! It seems to have scared this one off though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

Statistically, the more people who vote, the more votes the democratic party gets. However, it's super lovely to do with the frequency they do and makes you not want to support them, despite agreeing with them

BraveUlysses posted:

campaigns calling or texting you are not a violation of TCPA.

poltical campaigns are specifically exempt from the do not call list

It should be against something, because it's obnoxious as gently caress

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's just my irritation talking, ain't no way I'd vote Republican. But I am sick of being bothered over it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

AdiaBOOtic posted:

If you do not allow his opinion to bother you, then you will not be bothered

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Rhyno posted:

It's just my irritation talking, ain't no way I'd vote Republican. But I am sick of being bothered over it.

It's like when tech companies get lovely with their proprietary systems. I'm not going to not use photoshop, but gently caress do they make it difficult to want to pay for that license

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

angryrobots posted:

Great point!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

I'm Desktop Support.
It's literally my job to do exactly that.
I'm just too good at it, and too lazy to find something else. Definitely too lazy to start over doing something else.

Also, since I'm currently contract, I don't have any PTO or holidays.

I’m R&D IT (whatever the gently caress that means) and while I do some amount of support towards end users, the sheer amount of yelling at our outsourced IT, telling clueless managers for the nth time why things take time/cost money/are impossible on top of all the poo poo that’s going on outside of work... gently caress I need a beer.

On a positive note, I just loving fixed my espresso machine. Life is now worth living again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I have been getting these over the last few days as well from "so and so an army vet hoping to get your vote for person xyz" or "somebody from the ahole campaign"

Oddly they have been addressed to my wife, not me but they are coming to my number. I have replied "unsubscribe" which got an immediate bounce back autoreply that I have been removed. I also block every number.

I have no idea how these twatwaffles are getting my number but it is irritating. I don't even pick up numbers not in my contacts list and if they don't leave a message I block them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bolind posted:

I’m R&D IT (whatever the gently caress that means) and while I do some amount of support towards end users, the sheer amount of yelling at our outsourced IT, telling clueless managers for the nth time why things take time/cost money/are impossible on top of all the poo poo that’s going on outside of work... gently caress I need a beer.

On a positive note, I just loving fixed my espresso machine. Life is now worth living again.

It's kind of nice being the new guy and low on the totem pole and basically not being responsible for anything major for a while. I'm paid less than I was, but not hating going in to work is a reasonable compensation for that. I was sole Mac support towards the end of the last job, and with the latest iterations of the macOS and Apple in general, I'm kind of glad I don't have to deal with Macs as much. It's like everything they've done in the last year is to piss off corporate IT. We have few enough here to work around it, for the most part.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh man some of you might be surprised to learn that indiana is still full of lovely people

https://www.essence.com/news/deborah-cantwell-racist-letter-black-child/

quote:

“No N—ERS wanted in this neighborhood – THIS IS A WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD – some people find N—ERS Stressful due to 33 years of NEGATIVE experience and it causes serious health issues,” Cantwell allegedly wrote. “YOUR N—ER KID IS NOT WELCOME.”

“YOU CAN SELL YOUR HOME AND MAKE MONEY ON IT RIGHT NOW,” the note added. “BY THE WAY HOPE YOU HAVE DEEP POCKETS.”

The note made reference to the apparent stress that having Black people in the neighborhood brought on the writer, with the writer claiming that a sibling had been beaten up by Black people and police claimed that their hands were tied because the suspects were Black.
. . . .

Apparently Cantwell also sent texts to an unidentified person, expressing her desire to have an all-white family buy the home.

“I am stressing now that we are going to get Black neighbors,” Cantwell texted. “I am hoping that more people look at the house and an all-white family are the ultimate buyers. I am afraid the stress of Black neighbors could put me in the hospital.

“My blood pressure is elevated just thinking about the possibility,” she added.

By Oct. 18, Cantwell had admitted to writing the letter and vandalizing the family’s home with toilet paper, claiming she was “trying to vent.”

“I was just trying to let them know that they weren’t really … welcome as far as us. … I just needed to let off some steam and it was the – I’m not a violent person so I didn’t think it was any big deal,” she apparently told investigators.

Cantwell also refused to apologize for her alleged actions.

“I am sorry that it caused so much ruckus, but I feel like I released some anger writing that letter” she said.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

She should release all of her anger. By suckstarting a shotgun.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

oh man some of you might be surprised to learn that indiana is still full of lovely people

https://www.essence.com/news/deborah-cantwell-racist-letter-black-child/

63 year old white woman in Indiana? Calling it now - she's going to plead out to something like disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct, and skate by paying a small fine with no criminal record.

Well, that's assuming the charges aren't dropped entirely and they throw a parade in her honor.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Spent last night drinking beer and playing with molten metal and then got to sleep on a boat :)

We were pouring pewter into a silicon mould made from a 3D print I designed. Found that we had issues with some of the delicate bits. Made a very ad-hoc vibration table using a baking tray and an old orbital sander and it helped a lot to move the air out and fill it all in.

Now to make a better, and much smoother vibration table!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

The mike braun ads in front of every youtube video are driving me up the wall. That fucker started running ads last December.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Tomarse posted:

Spent last night drinking beer and playing with molten metal and then got to sleep on a boat :)

We were pouring pewter into a silicon mould made from a 3D print I designed. Found that we had issues with some of the delicate bits. Made a very ad-hoc vibration table using a baking tray and an old orbital sander and it helped a lot to move the air out and fill it all in.

Now to make a better, and much smoother vibration table!

Go on, what were you making?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I've just been sending links back to lemonparty.fr to all the people texting, as it sounds political.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

I've just been sending links back to lemonparty.fr to all the people texting, as it sounds political.

It's not .com anymore?

• Locked thread