Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
-rummages through box labeled "tired old jokes"-

Ah yes, this thread has round things. Love them. No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nthing the praise that the only mentions of the Doctor's gender were pretty reasonable in context, and everything else was kept to the same type of "I have new limbs and organs" stuff that we've gotten with every other modern regeneration.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ahhh the classic "I love diversity, I just wish they wouldn't be so....diverse about it" argument.

We still exist in a time where minorities of all types are underrepresented in mainstream pop culture. If a showrunner says "yeah, we're gonna take an active hand in correcting that", that is unequivocally a good thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something I haven't seen talked about too much yet...I'm happy to see companions that didn't sign up to be companions. In the revival we've mostly seen people who want to go on a grand adventure, or get to come home on weekends now that the doctor is a perfect TARDIS pilot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

If you really want to blow your mind, take a look at the career of Noel Clarke, aka Mickey Smith

He's a very different person from Thickey Mickey. Apparently, he'd never watched DW before the job and part of the reason he looked so baffled most of the time was because he was baffled most of the time.

He also was under the impression the show was aimed primarily at children, which is why his season 1 performance is so over the top.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

immoral_ posted:

I watched the first season of GoT, back when it started, and that's it.

That's the only one Sean Bean's been more than a cameo in, so you're good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The news article also teases 9th and 11th Doctor stories in upcoming Short Trips. Glad they're finally branching out solidly into the revival era with Short Trips.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Safeword posted:

Hey Doc, give everyone your do anything magic wand before lecturing the mortals on defending themselves with laser rifles. :mad:

I would have been more okay with it if she hadn't JUST got done saying that their enemies were automated robot guards.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just realized the one thing I'm really gonna miss from the Murray Gold era...his Gallifrey leitmotif

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I do wish this one had been a longer episode like the premiere was. Might have given some of the disparate elements (Space WMDs, The Race, Death Water, etc) a little bit more room to breathe

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Doctor being HYPER "no guns ever!!!" is more of a revival series thing. The classic doctors were against violence, but from what I've seen didn't come off quite so preachy about it.

I guess the retroactive justification is the Time War/War Doctor?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

* Former Prime Minister

Yeah, we know who she is

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/river-song-series-6

River Song ends up in the middle of a classic TV story of the 2nd Doctor's. No word yet on if 2 will be showing up in this set...but I would be willing to bet it happens somehow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

How are Big Finish Torchwood generally? Are they any good?

I've been really fond of the monthly series; they're smaller in scope and focus on one or two characters at a time.

I've actually been a bit underwhelmed by the bigger sets though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fist4jesus posted:

I'd like to see this doctor and crew prove themselves without relying on someone like Rosa as a crutch.

Huh...yeah it is weird that Rosa is the only episode of the season, and there aren't 9 other stories (plus a Christmas special) for them to explore other situations and characters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fist4jesus posted:

Let the lady doc prove herself on her own merits.

You mean.....like she did in two other episodes this season? And 7 more to come?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fist4jesus posted:

this season is off to a rough start.

So sorry that lady doctors and mixed race companions are harming your enjoyment of the show so much.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

well slap my face and call me sheila I dunno how I missed that.

You'll fit right in with all the "Why didn't they show us the three suns!" people from last week

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

And also piss off everyone who says we can't refer to the actors by their first names!

Not to disagree with your point; but I have noticed a general tendency to do that more often with female actors than male ones. I don't remember if it was a tweet or an article or something, but I read somewhere that that can be perceived as more dismissive or overly familiar, whereas sticking with surnames for male actors shows more respect.

Its an interesting dynamic

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Doctors 4, 5, 6, 7, 12 and 13 all get referred to by their first names.

And Ten is most frequently called by his full name, you ever notice that?

Oh I'm talking about actors overall, not just Doctor Who ones; but yeah, I get you.

That said, in my completely anecdotal experience, I seem to see "McCoy" more than "Sylvester". Agreed on all the others.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I like how there's already a dozen-journey-wide gap for Big Finish to drop stories into

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was hoping they'd be ballsy enough to say "yeah he's from the future of this time...the year 2018" or something

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's a similar problem to Star Wars...episode VII is seen as too derivative of the original trilogy and gee wouldn't it be nice if Star Wars broke some new ground. Episode VIII goes in new directions and it's seen as utterly ruinous and why didn't they treat the OT with more respect.

You've got two wildly different audience segments and nothing is gonna please them both

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

corn in the bible posted:

did the eighth doctor box sets also get bad? tragic

The biggest crime of the 8th doctor boxes have been refusing to commit to the big arcs. The recent Ravenous set, for example, has three stories with precisely zero reference to the titular Ravenous

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I would be happier if the Dark Eyes/Doom Coalition/Ravenous stories had been released as monthly/bi monthly single releases (but otherwise completely unchanged) rather than big box sets. 1) more frequent doses of McGann, 2) there's not as much of an expectation for each set to be solely devoted to the big arc.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, Doctor Who has never shied away from a political message...but literally having the gun toting potential presidential candidate advocate shooting anything that moves and directly quoting Donald Trump is EXTREMELY on the nose

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Other than the spiders there was one other instance of this again. When Graham and Ryan grab the spider in the pan, they look over, we see a shot of very fast spiders coming at them, reverse shot of Graham bumbling around and then cut to a different scene... They escaped somehow...

Damnit Chris, my brain needs an actual shot of them leaving and getting away because in my brain those spiders were way too fast for them just to stroll the gently caress out of there.

You seemed to have missed the shot of Graham and Ryan running full tilt away from the spiders. They certainly didn't "stroll"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Ha! I knew someone would try and defend that shot. I edited what I wrote above to explain it better. Also I didn't say they strolled so you don't need the quote there.

You literally did say "the spiders were way too fast for them just to stroll the gently caress out of there"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Not really. The show literally shows us "them getting away". They don't sit there and say "oh no what do we do?", they aren't "bumbling around". They see the spiders, and they run like hell.

There's no missing shot in that scene unless you missed the shot yourself coming to complain online about them not strolling fast enough.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Literally a shot of them out pacing the spiders would be good enough.

Good thing this exact shot exists in the episode. Graham (and Ryan, you seem hell bent on pretending Graham is the only one in the scene) run away from the spiders, faster than the spiders are coming at them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problem with the companion dynamic for me is Yaz feeling a bit outside the circle. In the final scene of this episode, Graham is talking about how grief takes time to process and being away seeing the universe helps. Ryan is tacitly included in that since he lost his nan at the same time Graham lost his wife. The show makes a lot of Ryan and Graham building a familial relationship too.

Yaz on the other hand is just kinda...there. The fact that she and Ryan are old schoolmates isn't what brought them together, it's a fact that was brought up AFTER they already ended up together due to the events of the first episode. While I'm sure she feels bad Grace died, she's not a part of the circle of grief; to her, Grace wasn't family, wasn't a friend, wasn't even a regular acquaintance. Yaz is just kinda the hanger on to a core group of characters.

I don't dislike Yaz at all, I like the hints of stuff they've done with her...but she doesn't have a motivation. She's Clara 2.0 "I want to go on mad adventures and then come home for supper"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Yas is trying to figure herself out as a person. She's young, she's in a difficult career at the bottom of the ladder, and she's already tired of looking at her reflection in the glass ceiling. She's more interested in that than in pursuing relationships at the moment, and she has a family that seems to place a lot of pressure on her to be in a relationship and to bring home friends (one gets the impression they mean well, but that they want to be more involved in her personal life than she'd like). The Doctor's adventures are providing her with a sense of purpose her life otherwise doesn't, because of the usual post-college, entry level career, urban isolation malaise.

That's a great concept for a companion and I really really hope she gets the spotlight often enough to flesh that out for me.

It just really stood out in the final TARDIS scene this episode when Graham and Ryan have their shared grief and Yaz just goes "I love my family but they really get on my nerves"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ten was a loving psycho

he's the one that should have been damnatio memoriae'd, not War :colbert:

Thanks for teaching me a cool latin phrase

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Looking at BF's Torchwood page, and it looks like they're bumping the standalone stories up from 6 releases to 12 next year.

The preorder bundles are still in sets of 6 if you want though, which is nice for my pocketbook

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Senor Tron posted:

Anyone else think the Doctor was a little bit tone deaf, emphasizing to them that she couldn't protect them. Pretty obvious when the first time they met ended with the companions wife/grandmother dying.

The Radio Free Skaro guys made a really good observation that it's really a good thing for the Doctor to hammer that point home. It's letting the companions give informed consent to the hazards of traveling. The Tim Shaw situation happened such that the companions (and Grace) just got swept up in the middle of things, and the events of Ghost Monument and Rosa (the former very heavily so) were not adventures embarked on by choice; the scene at the end of Arachnids, on the other hand, is the companions proactively saying "yes, let's keep traveling together"

Contrast this to the end of Rose where the Doctor just says "hey this ship goes anywhere....and anywhen" and off Rose goes into mortal peril. Companions are frequently either A) swept off without knowing that's what's gonna happen (see: Ian and Barbara for the earliest examples), or B) promised "let's go see the universe, it'll be fun!"

Scenario B is usually justified by way of saying the Doctor and co. have plenty of non hazardous adventures between televised episodes...but that's not what we see on TV. The stories we actually see are almost universally fraught with mortal peril. It's honestly kinda refreshing to have the Doctor really solidly emphasize that.

To your specific point, yeah this group of companions probably knows the risks better than others would...but it's still nice to know the companions have been able to offer informed consent to the dangers of being Team TARDIS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Torchwood will be taking on some returning Who monsters in their monthly range next year, including the Big Finish debut of...

The slitheen have been in BF stuff before. Specifically the Lady Christina Box

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can take or leave River, since she showed up in several Doom Coalition stories...but it'll be great to get more 8/Charley

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Although I also really didn't like the implied (though probably not intended) message of,"If you don't keep your baby, no matter how unprepared or capable you are, that is bad." The obvious intention was that the dad was more capable than he believed himself to be (in conjunction with the other doctor who didn't believe in herself) and just needed encouragement, but it was very clumsily handled.

Yeah, speaking as someone who was adopted, that little message could have really come off wrong. I got what they were going for...but it struck me quite a bit like the "hey kids don't take your meds" from a couple seasons back

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LividLiquid posted:

Episode was alright, but all the anti-adoption, keep the baby stuff was really gross.

Media is remarkably lovely to people who're adopted. Like they were all given up because their parents didn't love them enough. A friend of mine is adopted and once it's pointed out, you can't help but see it everywhere.

It's right up there with the don't take your meds episode as missing the mark on a moral lesson so completely that it kinda' ruins the episode for me.

Yeah, seconded. I went off on a coworker the other day for dropping a whole "I can't believe people would be so selfish as to give up their kid". Bitch please, you don't know their circumstance. I'm pretty sure I had a much more stable upbringing in my adoptive home than I would have with my biological mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

howe_sam posted:

I don't have a very good sense of the new control room because the show has spent practically no time at all in it. There's been what, three scenes total in the Tardis this season? I'm probably forgetting some.

Yeah, someone upthread mentioned a comparative lack of "bookend"scenes in the TARDIS so far this season. That's something I've always wanted to see from the show. Does Team TARDIS always bounce straight from crisis to crisis? Or do they sometimes take a day off and chill in the cool space and time box?