Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I FEEL GLORIOUS, GLORIOUS
GOT A CHANCE TO START AGAIN
I WAS BORN FOR THIS, BORN FOR THIS

*shatters glass ceiling*

[voiceover] SHATTER THE GLASS CEILING, OCTOBER 7TH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Rhyno posted:

Only 10? poo poo, in 5 years the season are gonna be Luther length.

I’ll trade the extra 2-3 episodes a year if they could just do 1 series per year consistently.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
This was a super touchy subject and I thought they handled it about as well as expected. There were some missteps, which a lot of people have pointed out the main one: that it portrayed Parks as refusing to give up her seat out of happenstance instead of it being a planned protest. I would counter that they did devote an entire scene to showing that Parks was part of a larger group of activists, which implies it wasn't just a random act. The premise of the episode hinges on the villain stopping the Civil Rights Movement by preventing Parks from protesting on that particular day, which is a bit of a stretch, yes, but it is also consistent with Doctor Who where the Doctor has to ensure a fixed point in time happens as planned (and that if it doesn't, everything can go wrong), even if it means getting directly involved and becoming the cause. And when it comes to something like the Civil Rights Movement, that becomes an issue as well since you don't want to portray a white person as being the savior here. I thought they did a great job working around that and making sure they "got out of the way" of history, this time.

Also pretty sure at one point Graham was supposed to drive the bus until someone pointed out to the writers that he would have to then confront Parks, and that it wouldn't make any sense. It just felt like all roads where leading to Graham being the driver.

marktheando posted:

Yank viewers- how were the accents?

Americans in general don't care about Brits doing American accents. You guys do a decent job as it is, and when it is bad we don't notice because it's usually a period piece and maybe that's how Americans talked back in the 50s? I didn't notice it.

The actress who played Rosa Parks was spot on, and she had most of the dialogue. The police officer was good too. No one else stood out as being bad, except maybe the guy who slapped Ryan.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 22, 2018

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

HD DAD posted:

Generally pretty good - I think the cop was the best one. The slap-happy guy at the beginning was terrible though. Echoing the poster above me who felt like he wasn’t even trying.

Rosa herself was mostly good, but it sounded a little stilted sometimes. Kinda like she watched a few YouTube videos on that accent beforehand and was actively trying to copy them (to mostly great effect).

I think the stilted speech was intentional and in-character. Remember that Parks was supposed to be unimpeachable. She was proper, married, a good worker, etc. She spoke the way a person would who had grown up in the Jim Crow era South where you could be killed for talking to a white person the wrong way. Contrast her to Ryan, who immediately gets slapped after spending 30 seconds in 1950's Alabama because he doesn't know the rules.

corn in the bible posted:

I didn't think people were racist enough tbh it's like they've never even been to the South

I dunno they were pretty racist, man. I felt they pretty much ran the gamut of racist things to depict, unless you wanted them to film a lynching or something?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I agree with the premise of your argument but I was surprised that they didn't face-plant it. My only problem was the omission of the Claudette Colvin / E.D. Nixon / Montgomery NAACP parts of the story. Admittedly, everyone omits that bit in favor of the mythologized version, but it makes it look like Rosa Parks was an uninvolved bystander who unwittingly sparked a revolution, which just isn't true. She was way more badass than that.

I don't know how they could have fit that into the plot, but I wish they'd tried.

To be fair, they included Emmett Till and touched on the NAACP part by showing Rosa in a meeting at her house with her husband, Fred Gray, and Martin Luther King Jr. Fred Gray was an attorney for Colvin (Thanks, Wikipedia). It's subtle, but I'm not sure much more was needed. Doctor Who is not the appropriate forum for setting the record straight on how the American Civil Rights Movement started.

They're trying to tell a sci-fi story too, so you want the background story (Rosa Parks) to be tight and concise so that the viewer can follow the main story (time-travelling dude trying to subtly change history).

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

docbeard posted:

All he said was "ten standalone episodes". Which people seem to have interpreted as "no season arc" but which I suspect just meant "no literal two or three part episodes".

There will be an arc. So far, in three episodes we have:

1. A villain, the Stenza, who have been mentioned twice in the first two episodes and who have an unresolved plot line (they were using the planet in episode 2 to test weapons)

2. A villain, Krasko, who half-told his backstory and then got zapped back into the past by Ryan. That dude is coming back.

I just assume it means no 2-parters, but there will be an arc with a season finale that resolves it.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
How come Charlie didn’t test his bubble wrap bombs BEFORE sneaking into the fulfilment center? He says he infiltrated the place by lying on his resume, so it’s not like he was just a disgruntled worker. Seems kind of over complicated since it means he has to also hack into the robots to control their actions and cover up the deaths of 6-7 people, in addition to the bomb making stuff, all so that he could get the
Bombs just right. Of course he got caught.

Also glossing over the system killing an innocent person to make a point.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Why didn't the system do more to stop Charlie's plan? It clearly knew about the bubble wrap bombs, given that it killed Kira with them to make a point. If it was capable of that, why was it not capable of stopping Charlie? Sending a help message to the Doctor seems a bit desperate when a simpler solution would be a full system shutdown to prevent any of the boxes from being teleported out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Szmitten posted:

Davison era people always said that writing for three companions was hard. You have to find things for everyone to do on top of creating characters native to the time/place of the story. And every episode the Doctor says "You lot, go find out xyz."

Either have less characters, or seperate them and put them in actual peril.

I said earlier in the season that it is a bit too much to introduce a new Doctor, three new companions, and try to tell a new story every week while developing those characters. Something is bound to suffer. I think they did a good job, all things considered, but the short episode count and lack of an overarching story was really noticeable towards the end.

But hey, Graham got a fantastic story arc and Yaz had her moments. Ryan was weird because he had a chance to meet Grace last week and didn't, and he seemed indifferent about confronting Tim Shaw, but at least he called Graham "granddad" and said "I love you." :shrug: