Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rewatching The Power of Three in preparation for the Ch.era. Its the debut of Kate Stewart ^-^! Also, "science leads" reference which is echoed in the 50th. I heard on the Radio Free Skaro latest episode that this episode isn't so good because of the end? i'm half way through and its pretty cool so far. a very relaxed chill vibe. There is space and little moments. Which will be cool to see. I always felt the 12th Doc was rather neurotic (especially in the beginning). It'll be cool to see the 13th's atmosphere as more open. There is also this neat scene in power of three where the doctor muses to Amy about how quickly life goes by and how he appreciates every moment of it :3 "I am running to you and Rory before you fade from me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

All my love to long ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JpbE_sVabI

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

48 hoursish right? i feel its such a long assssssss weight.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

spog posted:

At the very real risk of being 'that guy', did the new screwdriver design remind any other viewers of something else?
novelty answers:
-this has been discussed ad nauseam
-maybe its low key on purpose for empowerment reasons
-spork
real answer:
-production would have definitely been aware of this. but its snazzy.

also, gonna show my flatmates and friends the ep on the big wall projector tonight! can't wait to see the powerful ep in massive detail :love:
e:

Safeword posted:

So why did the Doctor get all pissy at that guy for kicking Tim off the crane?
i can only assume its a quick beat to establish Doctor Who's pacificism/pacifistic nuance as to when its definitely not ok to kill a villian "... no right..." echoes tennant stuff.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 8, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Entropic posted:

I knew we were in trouble from the moment it started out with the utterly bizarre attempt at a heartwarming family thing centered around... a grown-rear end-man trying to learn to ride a bike? What? With a stepfather resentment angle thrown in for some reason? Is any of this going anywhere?
Are you familiar with the term 'ableist'?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I rewatched the 50th anniversary ep. Its such a big deal that the Doctor has uncovered a living Gallifrey. And its set up like locating the planet will be the overarching quest of the next season. So like, what happened? Was that storyline just dropped super fast? Its sad because its the crescendo of the A plot resolution.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ Yeah without creeping any Star Wars thread analysis into this thread I agree.

I managed to wrangle a friend into DW through showing the first 13th Doctor ep and she loves it! And she's been watching the 2005 series! We just finished Dalek and mate, that ep is a rollercoaster of feelings towards the dalek. Astonishment, fear, pity, anger, fear again, compassion, hope and finally sadness.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Faction Paradox is a spin-off of Doctor Who, originating in the novel Alien Bodies.
http://factionparadox.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_Paradox_Wiki
Uh what. There is this fandom for a, from my perspective, obscure spin off series from a DW novel?! What is this and how has it eluded me?!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm fine with the racists being racist, it was more stuff like the scene where Ryan and Yaz just sat down and spelt out the entire message of the episode.
People need it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Run you clever boy and become the doctor, I'm Clara and I'm literally the most important person ever
Clara was best in her debut Asylum of the Daleks. Her personality was brimming with initiative, confidence and verve. When she became a companion she slid into a stock character of reacting.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There is this diminishing of episodes and episode length in fandom BBC shows. Sherlock, etc. Once a show reaches critical hype, its more important they put out stuff that is:
a) able to be hyped up even more. as hype becomes the runaway factor and
b) bottle neck/filler/not-so-important episodes eat away at the hype. so 4 IMPORTANT episodes makes more sense than 10 ones for the nerds.

so theoretically, you don't even need production at x point in the future. you just need to announce the new doctor and let it sit there in perpetuity. just endless podcasts and posts will ensue. i call it: the Harriet Jones factor. who was another PM machine.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

It is sincerely better that a blind actress get roles and paid work than that they meet your weird standards.
I agree. And I love the casting of one shot characters this series.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

There is this diminishing of episodes and episode length in fandom BBC shows. Sherlock, etc. Once a show reaches critical hype, its more important they put out stuff that is:
a) able to be hyped up even more. as hype becomes the runaway factor and
b) bottle neck/filler/not-so-important episodes eat away at the hype. so 4 IMPORTANT episodes makes more sense than 10 ones for the nerds.

so theoretically, you don't even need production at x point in the future. you just need to announce the new doctor and let it sit there in perpetuity. just endless podcasts and posts will ensue. i call it: the Harriet Jones factor. who was another PM machine.
Ah, it seems that The Harriet Jones factor strikes! And I still think it's for the reasons I outlined. I mean, sure, there is probably some production bottle neck. But I still maintain its because they know they can get away with it as there is a core DW base that will keep vigil.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Speaking as a trans person, kindly go gently caress all the way off with this take.

"Shut up and let the rest of us do the talking about the real issues, person consistently marginalized by society" is not the grand leadership you think it is.

This happens every time. The civil rights movement, the disabilities act, gay marriage. It's a weapon hateful people use to make fighting for a better future sound selfish, and people buy it every loving time it happens.
QFT.

Also, I just watched the series 1 finale of the revival. That moment where 9 turns to Rose still gives me shivers. And how cool was Captain Jack in this story as a leader rallying the future humans *swoon*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^Agreed to all three posts.

Another thing I noticed was how much overacting Rose in the fish and chip shop does. It's a very weird jarring ramp up leading to a crazy rear end messy run out the door. It's almost like B. Piper overplayed it and production was like "gently caress it, lets call it a day here."