Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Idris Elba just seems too... above something like Doctor Who. And I don’t mean that as an insult toward him or the show, I just can’t see him running down corridors and monologuing to Daleks. I know he’s been in other genre stuff like Pacific Rim and Star Trek, but he still played fairly serious characters in both those films. He’d also be the most well-known actor to take the role, even more so than Eccleston, Capaldi, or Davison were when they were cast, and I prefer it when the show casts relative unknowns or actors who’ve mostly stuck to tv in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I finally watched Withnail & I just this last week and this makes me extremely happy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I think I hate this. It sounds like someone playing a drum track over the Davison theme in a completely different time signature.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Diabolik900 posted:

It's happening for everyone, on every platform, and even on old posts. It's something on SA's end.

You can negate it on iOS by holding down on the apostrophe and quote keys and using the first highlighted option instead.

'
"
It's a pain, but it works for now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I wish Gallifrey had remained lost/locked away forever, though my opinion may be colored by my dislike for Hell Bent and the awful hybrid plotline.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Finally was able to watch the episode.

:shrug:

I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. 13's manic energy gives me a very Tennant vibe, and I couldn't stand Tennant. That said, she was great during the Tim Shaw Showdown and the last few minutes, so who knows. Deep Breath is one of the worst episodes of the revival and Capaldi still ended up as one of my favorites, so I’m just going to chock this up to typical regeneration episode roughness.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Soothing Vapors posted:

that was a super interesting read but it's also sort of depressing that it took that much work to design such a terrible costume

It’s a great costume aside from the trousers/pants

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wolfechu posted:

The fact that her pockets are completely empty in the same episode that she's lost the TARDIS just reinforces my belief that the doctor's pockets are linked up to a catch-all "pockets room" on the ship.

:hmmyes:

dirksteadfast posted:

(Seriously, was Eccleston’s “costume” the production trying to keep the revival more grounded for new viewers, or was he just not wanting to play nice with that aspect of the show?)

I can buy 9 purposely choosing a low-key outfit because, like War before him, he’s just incredibly burnt out and a wacky costume would feel inappropriate. He is in a bit of a mourning phase after all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Vinylshadow posted:

Seven, Eight, and Nine could be the co-called "grunge phase"

Seven was clearly his punk phase

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I wish the intro was a bit longer and I wouldn’t mind seeing the Tardis and Jodie’s face in it, but I really dig the simplicity. It’s the polar opposite of the ultra-busy Tennant intro with the guitar theme or Smith’s stormy intro.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

spog posted:

"guns are bad, I hate guns, you shouldn't ever use guns"

~deonates bomb~

In fairness, this has been a problem with the show for a very long time. The Doctor’s never really been one to shy away from violence.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Just once I’d like a revival Doctor who’s tenure wasn’t half-wasted by delays

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Teek posted:

In other news, was just looking over some of the various Marvel and Star Wars Hot Toys and thought Doctor Who would be killer in realistic 1:6 scale. Someone like Hot Toys doing a line that features all 14 Doctors would be amazing. Made me wonder if there was something like that already out there. Apparently a company called BIG Chief Studios is doing that very thing!

https://www.bigchiefstudios.co.uk/collectables/doctor-who

Oh, oh no...

The Eccleston’s not bad, but uh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

God drat it, the 11/12 control room was excellent and all you guys who hate it are jerks.

It suuuuuuuuuuucked and I will gladly die on this hill

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The best TARDIS interior will always be the one from the TV Movie (if they increased the lighting maaaaaaybe 10-15% so it’s a notch above “mid-90s Fox atmospheric lighting”)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I genuinely believe The Beast Below is one of Smith’s top 3 episodes, and it’s crazy that it was only his second episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDix_GCbWf0

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I've gotten a very 5 vibe from this whole season, in that I like the cast a lot but the stories haven't been very interesting. Rosa has probably been the best so far, but all the others just kind of run together in a generic way.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

misadventurous posted:

Which by extension means she’s the best developed character the entire series has produced since 1963

Ace was the prototype for every modern companion, fight me

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Terry Grunthouse posted:

The interior of this TARDIS is growing on me hard. I don't think anything will ever top Twelve's bookcase, chalkboards, and guitars blue, brown and orange one, though.

Going all in on the blue/orange is probably the worst thing about it, right after the salt lamp crystal aesthetic

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Terry Grunthouse posted:

thinking about twelve's console room, I went back and did some screencaps

this one is before he put more round things on the walls

I’m not a fan of this console room, but I do think it looked better during 11’s tenure when the rotor and other lights were more blue/green than orange.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Someone got a scarf for Christmas, and she’s showing it off at her New Year bash.

It’s like the Davison and Bakers’ costumes had a transporter accident but the resulting monstrosity was allowed to live :eyepop:

:getin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is there any pattern to these sets yet? I get pushing Tom’s first season since he’s probably the most recognizable Doctor, but why do his last season next? It’s completely atypical for that Doctor and, honestly, a bit dull.

You’d think they’d do 1st seasons for each Doctor first.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

seizure later posted:

This is the worst season of the revival so far imo

Ehh, I don't know about that. Series 3 (Martha/10) had an extremely weak first half that was briefly buoyed by Human Nature-thru-Utopia before completely botching the landing with two of the worst revival episodes in The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords. The biggest problem with declaring this season to be the worst of the revival (aside from the fact that we still have three episodes left) is that it hasn't been memorably bad like the worst of the RTD or Moffat years. It just exists. I'm worried Jodie is going to continue the tradition of great Doctors squandered by poor writing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How dare you

Look I love Baker and I’m probably a bigger fan of the JNT era than most folks, but watching him whine about entropy with Adric in tow for an entire season was just too much.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
One thing I will say about this season is that I really enjoy the subdued synthy soundtracks, particularly some of the stuff in Rosa. It’s a nice change from the bombastic orchestral stuff from the last 10 seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
For me so far, Best to Whatever:

It Takes You Away
Tsuranga Conundrum
Demons of the Punjab
Arachnids in the UK
Rosa
The Witchfinders
Kerblam!
The Woman Who Fell to Earth
The Ghost Monument

- The ending of Tsuranga had already been done in The Expanse, but it was a solid episode with some nice far-future weirdness that reminded me a bit of the far-future stuff we used to get in RTD episodes. Plus the alien was basically Stitch, right down to the squat little body.
- Punjab and It Takes You Away are the only emotional plots that have landed for me this season. Killing off Grace for little reason in the pilot left a bad taste in my mouth, but at least Graham got a nice bit of closure in ITYA.
- Rosa was fine, but parts of it tread a little too close to “I couldn’t have done it without you, Doctor!” territory and the scene with Rosa being pulled off the bus really didn’t need a slow distracting pop song played over it.
- Witchfinders and Kerblam would both be ranked higher had they not completely botched their resolutions.
- I honestly forgot Ghost Monument existed until I looked at the list of episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I honestly wonder if the show would be better off doing a Year of Specials format permanently. Just do 2-3 feature-length episodes each year instead of 10-13 45 minute episodes. I’d rather have less Who each year than long year+ gaps between seasons.

Not to mention how gaps like this just destroy any momentum and enthusiasm you’ve gained among the fanbase.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gravastars posted:

The last time we did that, all the episodes were bad!

Sure, but it was Tennant and RTD running on fumes, the format was schedule-mandated instead of purpose built, and nearly everyone was just tired of 10, RTD, and Murray Gold at that point. If you knew well in advance that you’d be writing for that format and schedule and built your “season” around it the result would be much better.

Also, :wom: is solid if you turn the tv off with 30 seconds left.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

This is still the weirdest thing to me. Imagine idolizing a man as a kid, taking the same role he once had when you’re an adult, marrying his daughter, and then giving him a grandkid. It could be the plot of a horror movie, like some kind of obsessive psycho fanboy long con just to buy time with him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I know this isn’t Ian Levine, but it’s been forever seared into my brain as the default mental image whenever someone says his name. The bad cgi background, the ill-fitting headdress, the vacant stare as he silently composes an angry tweet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don’t care when it happens, I just want another 8 appearance. You’ve got a perfectly good Doctor with a grand total of 1.5 tv appearances (does Night even count since it was a webisode?) and the actor is still youngish enough to run down corridors. 8/13 buddy special, let’s get it done already.

Now that I’m thinking about it, if you count Tom as the Curator, 5 in Time Crash, and 8 in NotD, then C. Baker and Sly are the only living classic Doctors who’ve yet to make an (non-archive) appearance in the revival.

So I’m really asking for a 6/7/8/13 buddy special.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 19, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d really like the trend of “Doctors regenerating in Christmas specials” to end with Jodie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

There's a bit in the Type 40 TARDIS Manual book that came out recently about a Time Lord's regeneration getting more and more violent and explosive the older they get, with recommendation that any Time Lord going through regen 6 or above to not do it inside their TARDIS.

I like how the Doctor has not only ignored this, but now puts the TARDIS in flight with occupants inside each time they regenerate.

“If I’m going, you’re all going out with me!”