Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
"Who says I'm not [x]" jokes will never not slay me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well I'm just offended to my very core.
That was a perfectly good jacket.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And I'm quite sure the racist ex-con whose into causing butterfly effects being punted back in time will have no consequences whatsoever.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean “villain who can’t directly kill but is really into the butterfly effect” is way too good to pass up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also the timeline in Doctor Who is seven shades of buggered anyway.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The thing is, the “queen” spider was suffering an inevitable horrific, painful end and no amount of well meant palliative care on the doctor’s part was going to make things much better for it. Shooting it should have been a mercy.

The problem is that the person who pulled the trigger was a callous asshat whose primary concern was how this whole affair effects his chances of being the next Trump.

I’m not sure of the writers idioted themselves to this or it was deliberate but this is basically the case that the Doctor came upon the wrong answer for the right reasons and captain planet villain came to the humane answer with the most cynical of thinking behind it.

(We could also argue Ryan ‘shooting’ Racist Greaser back to the past, alongside the doc’s indifference to it, was similar in mindset, the right idea with nothing but anger (albeit righteous indignation in that instance) behind it, but I imagine that’s coming close to can’o’worms so that’s as far as I’ll take that one)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 28, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given the Time Racist’s whole butterfly effect thing the story does write itself to a degrees.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tim Burns Effect posted:

this is absolutely what would happen in real life just fyi

ya'know not every episode of Doctor Who needs to be an episode of Captain Planet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

marktheando posted:

Voting is very important, people died for America’s right to choose between being eaten by giant spiders, or four more years of Trump.

Hey now, are you sure that leaking the Democratic Manifesto for 2020 is a good idea?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Chalice/beetroot class smacks of SCP.

That was what was going though my head there.

That said if it's another misunderstood creature I will have to suplex a person.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good episode, amazing premise, if I see one more instance of "the aliens are misunderstood" this season I'll slap a bastard.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That’s in debate?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

What the christ was the point of that? Giant corporations are great and workers rights campaigners are monsters?

gently caress off.

Oh thank christ, I thought I was the only one who picked up on that.

It feels like if you presented this situation to any other doctor the whole place would have been razed to the ground after it comes out in the wash that the robots killed someone to “make a point” with “space amazon workhouse” being on notice from minute one due to its inherent nature and only allowed due to being an employment in a real poo poo situation I’m surprised Brooker hasn’t tried for Black Mirror.

Then again, this Doctors’s been sloppy with letting Trump allegories and space death match organisers get away without comeuppance and not caring when a companion pulls a Jason Todd to blast a dood (an asshat who totally deserved it to be sure but still) into the stone age so what’s letting a few new age mavericks loose to share half the workload of an overworked human staff in an amazon future fuckhus?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 18, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

and when Season 10 had the Doctor declare, in no uncertain terms, that Capitalism is a mistake, and then this episode airs... aaaargh.

Which ep was that again? Memory’s a bit fuzzy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Teek posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the show has never truly resolved/stopped one of its capitalistic hell futures has it? It's always, "well this is resolved + a move/promise is made by those left behind to change things". The Doctor always leaves and then we revisit capitalism's shittyness again in an future season.

Granted I’m nu who but I was always under the impression that it was more “Well this problem caused by this being a hellscape is solved, I’m a leave but before that (metaphorically kicks hellscape between the legs) whoops, did I just gently caress everything about this hellscape up? You best go sort that, ta-rah! (Jumps into Tardis)”

Hell it’s not like they haven’t done that to effect by showing that doing that won’t always create a desired result (Space-station 13 comes to mind) but this series has been so anti-serial (to the point where there isn’t even multi-parters) that it feels like everything is trapped to its own cubicle and unable to breathe.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Orv posted:

Yeah but what if it was just Graham though. What if he just regenerated as himself, forever.

I would unironicalty watch Graham’s Bizarre Adventure.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It kinda was up until the point it decided that turning maverick was the best way to prove it's point to it's assailant.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Can someone remind me what the deal with that tub of liquefied workers was?

Honestly, I don't think the writers kept track of it.

If it was whatshisface then he was clearly sick in the head and the story should have made that clear, if it was the system then that's gotten to Sigma levels of needing to be retired.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

The fact that the capitalist evil BBC station in series 1 didn't go away was actually a twist because the Doctor (and audience) thought he'd completely destroyed it, remember

I said something about "Station 13" was that not the right name for it?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Because that'd threaten to be interesting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Azhais posted:

Same destination, but the Doctor got fewer people killed getting there

And the way the Odd got one back on the guy was noted as being monumentally hosed.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 21, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being frank I’d rather have a season that is all over the place in terms of quality than one that is aggressively OK besides one genuine shitfest of an episode.

Though that said Kill The Moon was so aggressively poo poo that it killed the season it was in stone dead.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Stupid question; was Ryan's dyspraxia ever commented on beyond the first few episodes?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Eh, I don't disagree with his sentiment ; that we're getting caught up in the small time bullshit but I disagree what he calls small time bullshit.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rochallor posted:

This series has been so dire that I almost forgot that this exact thing happened almost every. loving. Episode. How many times this series was a character like, "Yeah, my gay partner's loving dead, deal with it." Five? Six?

This season's bounced off of me so hard that I can't tell if this is sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

The Cybermen comedians are actually the ones who did all those Youtube edits of Adric's death scene with funny music edited over the credits.

Is that a thing?