Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

Only a week to go~

I love that you can see the Yorkshire accent in this gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Thanks to the new day I have to wait until I get home from work on Monday to watch it, truly I will suffer the most of you all.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Listening to Chimes of Midnight and it seems good so far

e: what a stupid ending lol

There's an interview with the writer where he comments that he's a bit confused about how iconic it's become because he rushed the last episode and thinks it's not great. Personally I like it, but probably mostly because it reminds me coincidentally of another piece of media I love.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

York_M_Chan posted:

My main dig at the episode was that the Doctor didn't do anything to get the TARDIS back, it just showed up and wasn't integral to the plot whatsoever other than being the location of the end of the race. Just like the first episode this felt like a 2-parter that was cut down and they forgot to plug the holes.

She did the thing to get the TARDIS back last episode: she tracked its location and built a teleporter to get her there. She probably teleported in time as well to when it was about to appear. This episode was just dealing with the complications arising from that.

I enjoyed it overall, but my complaint is that she pointed out virulent people-eating microorganisms in the water and then spent like 20 minutes repeatedly wondering out loud where all the people went. Isn't that enough of a reason?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

And also the concept of the Matrix (the Gallifreyan one, not the movies).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NowonSA posted:

They did subvert my expectations by not having Graham take over as the bus driver to make sure events happened as they were supposed to, but on the other hand that could have been one hell of a powerful scene. To see a guy who was clearly not racist at all have to act in a way he despises, and towards a woman his recently dead wife greatly admired, just to make sure history goes down how it should. That's some Doctor-style weight to bear and I think she's had to do that kind of thing more than a few times, I would have liked to see Graham's actor given that kind of material to work with instead of just standing there. He can slap on a bad American accent or the doc can throw some tech at him to pretend to be Blake, I don't see him not actually being Blake as a full-stop "can't do that" obstacle with how the story was presented.

Then again if Graham had to act as the driver that would add emotional conflict and possible lasting change or trauma to a character, who wants that?

I feel like giving that much emphasis to how much it hurt a white dude's feelings to have to act racist would have been a super bad idea, like, really awful. This episode isn't and shouldn't be about his feelings. They already showed him feeling discomfort about being complicit in what happened, and that was fine.

Also, on another topic in the thread, while I agree the episode certainly didn't present Parks' actions as definitely pre-planned, I don't think it did anything to go against that idea? It showed that she had a history of taking a stand, that she was actively involved in activist circles, and it leaves it entirely possible that she planned to take the next opportunity she saw to refuse to give up her seat. It then made sure she got that opportunity as she was supposed to. I'm no American historian but it seems like that's doing a much better job than most tellings of her story manage.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 22, 2018

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'm gonna be honest, that guy looked and sounded like Justin McElroy doing a bit.

God yes, he looked so much like him it totally threw me out of the scene.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I have a feeling the reason for the intricate plan was that if he just timejumped Rosa out of 1955, her friends and family would notice and it would ripple in a less predictable way, or Time Cops or whatever would notice the massive change. Just stopping her from needing to give up her seat is a small, subtle thing that no one would notice until it was too late.

That's a really good point. If she disappeared they'd probably figure someone murdered her and that would have sent things off in all sorts of new directions.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I was meh about the episode as a whole (haaaaate spiders so that didn't help) but I am loving 13's thing about just deciding on what she's gonna call people and sticking with it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Stairs posted:

I really like the low key feeling of this season. It's like Old Who in that not every confrontation has to be a world-ending event. Some days you just ruin someone's plot to make a bunch of Mona Lisa's.
The only thing that worries me is are they focusing on family so hard because the Doctor is a woman? I hope not, but even if they are doing that it's better than Moffat's "Oooh she's so powerful/dangerous because she's a laaaaaydaaaaay"
Can't a woman just be a person? Not all of us have feminine "wiles" or are naturally loving and supportive of family.

That's why I liked the dude giving birth plotline tbh. Aside from it being queer as all hell, it's all about men grappling with family and babies and other issues that are usually given to female characters to worry about. It's so so far from that godawful WOMAN STRONG BECAUSE WOMAN CARRY BABY from that one Christmas special and so good for kids to see.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I got so excited when I thought this was turning out to be an episode about how the automated system had developed a conscience and was crying out for help because humans were abusing it to hurt people... :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

It kinda was up until the point it decided that turning maverick was the best way to prove it's point to it's assailant.

Okay technically yes but I meant the way all the workers were being treated.

All the deaths seemed super mean-spirited too. Maybe I'm just soft but the way this season keeps following up "hey these people have been disappearing" with "wow all those disappeared people are super dead" is depressing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Speaking of harsh pragmatism, I just realised that Ryan was 100% correct at the start of the episode when he said the girl's father probably just hosed off and left her.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I know he told her, I'm saying I wished she'd been there to see it. Him telling her after the fact is nice but lacks the impact that being present would have had.

The Doctor is a role model, and after a season of watching assholes walk away without learning a lesson/getting off scott-free, I think it would have been more appropriate for her to see one (the first one she met, in fact) face his comeuppance at the hands of one of her proteges. It just felt (to me) like that was what the season was building to, but she was off doing her own (remarkable, to be fair) thing with Yaz when the big moment came and I feel that was a missed opportunity.

On the other hand there's more weight to Graham making the decision all by himself with no one there to stop or influence him rather than with the Doctor present.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't mind the idea of an American showrunner nearly as much as the the idea of an American Doctor, and people keep suggesting those...

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Why not join us Big Finish nerds? A significant portion of them are way better than anything produced on the TV show.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Counterpoint: the soldier walking into the building with the obvious Zygons is the stupidest loving scene in the entire show to date.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Haha, I hate that scene so much. I'm usually one of those who gets irritated by people who complain about emotional people not making perfectly reasoned and logical decisions in high stress situations but it's just so.... terrible! The absolutely blatant nature of the trap, the supposed high level of competence of soldiers, the full awareness of the abilities of the people they're confronting, the walking into an open trap... everything about it is just so poorly handled and executed.

I had such high hopes for those Zygon episodes. At least the second part was better than the first part.

Yeah this. They *know* that Zygons can turn into other people, why the gently caress would they believe their family suddenly being there to the point that they walk into an unknown building with them just because they say so? I understand not wanting to gun down a being that is 99% probably the enemy but looks and sounds just like your mother and there's a slight chance that it could actually be, but there's a pretty massive line between shooting them and actually trusting them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Rochallor posted:

This series has been so dire that I almost forgot that this exact thing happened almost every. loving. Episode. How many times this series was a character like, "Yeah, my gay partner's loving dead, deal with it." Five? Six?

Yeah I think it's an unfortunate side effect of bringing back the RTD-era awesome thing of random characters in random episodes just happening to be queer, but also wanting to have a lot of dead characters - at least it feels like the body count was higher than usual this season, there was a lot of people going missing and turning out to be actually dead when I feel like usually they'd be rescuable.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

On another inclusivity-related topic, I didn't realise how much I'd appreciate it being a new years special rather than a christmas special until I watched it. I didn't grow up with christmas and have 0 emotional attachment to anything to do with it so christmassy stuff is neutral at best and irritating at worst, but new years is much more relatable. Now that I think about it it would have been especially off to do a christmas special given that Yaz might not celebrate it either. I do think it was a scheduling thing that made them change it but I actually think new years is a much better holiday for the show to celebrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I also really appreciated that they let him in on the whole Doctor and TARDIS thing. It would be impossible for him to build any kind of relationship with Ryan without knowing about it but I could see the show having the secret be a plot point for a while, and I'm glad they got it out of the way so he can be honest about his life to his dad.