Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I had this saved on my phone. Sorry it's so tiny, I don't know where i got the image from originally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Jodie Whitaker was incredible. And the companions were good.

The rest of it though?

Uhhh....

I didn't really like it that much. A bit too dour and like an episode of Broadchurch. Want some exciting science fiction adventures for the whole family? Well here's Bradley Walsh giving a eulogy and then telling the Doctor he has cancer

I also don't understand the montage of disposable British TV guest stars at the end as if it was a selling point, as if anyone who has ever watched Doctor Who has ever given a poo poo about them.

My thoughts exactly. Jodie was great although the "we have to evolve but respect what came before" speech was more on the nose than Capaldi's broom one.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

howe_sam posted:

When I was rewatched season 4 it was shocking just how much RTD seemed to hate Donna, she got poo poo on more than any companion I can think of off the top of my head.
RTD loves Donna, probably not to the extent he loves Rose, but he didn't hate her.

He probably doesn't even remember Martha though.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Plavski posted:

The RTD book about writing Who is just page after page of chain-smoking, stress and chronic overwork.

That book was so eye opening to how rough the last few years of RTDs run was, and how close it got to falling apart, yet kept completely hidden from the public view.

I'd love to have had a Moffat version.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Do you guys think when RTD was running Doctor Who, he used to every so often pick up little BBC executives in his giant hands, lift them squirming into the air and bellow with laughter for awhile before putting them down and letting them scurry off down a corridor?

Because it's ALL I think about. Every day.

If The Writer's Tale is anything to go by, Julie was doing that, while RTD was trying to get 5 first drafts written, probably while chainsmoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
It was alright, still suffers from too much exposition and 'stating the obvious' lines. The puppeted lady commiting crimes was the best part.

It's a shame they still didn't Yaz anything to do and the big emotional scenes with Ryan nd his dad fell completely flat for me.