Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Just in time for the new season, I just watched the first episode... of the last season (or series, whatever.)

I was waiting for it to come to netflix and then when it did I started procrastinating on it hard and here we are. I think I'll end up watching the new episodes when they come out and the old ones when I feel like I want more but next week isn't here yet. Hopefully they don't reference the past season too much! I mean, I know that almost never happens, but it would be just my luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CityMidnightJunky posted:

This is actually one of my issues with Chibnall. Doctor Who, at least since the revival, has always had a diverse supporting cast. Which is great, mostly because they didn't feel the need to draw attention to it. But he pretty much said he's including as many demographics as possible in the companions to give it a wider appeal, and something about that really rubbed me the wrong way. It's calculated, self-congratulatory and kind of insulting that he thinks someone would only watch if the companion was the same demographic as them.
Ok, but would it be better if everyone was white? I don't see the downside. Diverse casts are still rare in the grand scheme of things so it's nice to have one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Plavski posted:

At the time we said her lesbianism was handled really well and underplayed, only making references when it was appropriate and it was never forced. What changed?
What changed was you thinking that there ever was a "we" who agree on something related to Who.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

jng2058 posted:

So the big problem I had with Grace's death was that it was so clearly telegraphed by all the ads which show all three of the ongoing companions but didn't show her. As soon as she showed up with the other three I was like "Oh, she's gonna die to give everyone else motivation. How annoying." And sadly, I was proved right. I was hoping they'd go Rory's dad with her and have her be the one who stays home, but since she had the active personality and Graham the passive one, it became clear that she wasn't going to make it through, which undercut the emotion of the event for me.
Not paying attention to promotional material pays off again. Although I didn't like that development either at least I wasn't dreading it for the whole episode.