Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
There's a 13 Twitter emoji now, and it appears any time #DoctorWho is in a tweet. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Stabbatical posted:

Yeah, that came back to me today. It was, as shown, a complete arse-pull. It's a structural thing though.

Part of the episode's tension came from the DNA bomb threat. If they'd had a scene where they got rid of or otherwise diabled them on-screen, the characters lose that threat hanging over them and also some of the explanation as to why they're hanging around this massively dangerous situation (except The Doctor of course). But by not setting up that something's been done with the DNA bombs, you keep that tension which helps drive the story forward at the cost of another deus ex machina ending. I'm not sure how to work resolve that without cutting the DNA bomb plot point entirely. :shrug:

That isn't a Deus ex machina. They asked about the bombs after she made the sonic, and she said "give me nine minutes". Furthermore, their collarbones weren't glowing afterwards. It was a reveal that the Doctor had done something off screen, which is not in any way unusual. Showing her removing the bombs would have defused much of the tension.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just rewatched Husbands of River Song last night, River's line "two hearts, stupid clothes, you can't miss him" really stood out

Yeah she honestly looked badass in the raggedy Capaldi getup

I want a past character to return, see the TARDIS crew, and immediately know which one is the Doctor because she's dressed the silliest. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Okay, so, the idea of each Doctor having their own theme music was only introduced with Eleven. I am the Doctor is so amazing. I love it so much. Twelve's theme, Good Man, was great too. Nine and Ten shared a theme. All choir ahs. But it was a theme for the both of them and the fact that they shared it always felt to me like they'd had there own if things went more as expected.

There is no evidence, now that Murray Gold is gone, that Thirteen will have a theme at all.

But if it's the music that played when they made their sonic, I am gonna' be so pumped. I would love to hear that every time they solve a problem at the climax.

That music also played during the big "I am the Doctor" moment and also when she chose her outfit, so I am actually 100% certain that's her theme. Hoping we get a faster electric guitar version at some point.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

That was about what I expected. It definitely had too many ideas not effectively knitted together. but Epzo and Angstrom were pretty interesting, and I thought their final resolution worked. The big issue I had was hearing a lot of the dialogue.
Also that the guests were better fleshed out than the companions. There were some good interactions that may pay off down the line, but this episode made me nervous for the first time about the number of companions.
The Doctor giving up was weird, and made me think whatever the evil cloth was hinting at had her rattled.

My impression of Chibnall's writing so far is someone who has a ton of cool ideas and only the vaguest idea how to put them together. Having said that, this episode is still better than any episode he wrote for the show prior except for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It feels like she’s using a Harry Potter wand every time she does it.

She's a space wizard, lol. I like it, it's extremely silly, and I think she's trying to impress her new friends. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The excruciatingly long game of charades was just my sort of stupid.

One of my favorite Who scenes ever.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Too late in my time zone for detailed thots but Graham is great.
Also this is probably the best "time traveling series tackles racism in the 1950's" episode.
Also Krasko himself is just a neutered time traveling Proud Boy, but liked the reference to Stormcage as the show up until now did seem set in a different universe, and it's a little comforting to see a little nod to the broader universe.
Krasko feels like he needs to come back, because he implied things when talking to Ryan. Also it wasn't clear if he was alien or human, if he were alien it would take on an interesting spin, like that human progress out into the stars depends on social progression, so if you can derail that, you can stop humans from ever spreading through the galaxy. But it seems darkly plausible that there's still white supremacist dipshits in the far future, too. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Joe McCarthy is an interesting guy because everything you learn about him makes him even more of a cartoony villain. He's one of history's most successful lazy opportunists, which is really saying something.

A Red Scare historical episode could be legit awesome.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Episode thots: 8/10 good spoders but not as many as I wanted, Chris Noth was hilarious, Tanya Fear is ludicrously gorgeous and I hope Chibnall invents some tenuous excuse to bring her character back, Yaz's family is adorable, Whittaker seems to be playing the Doctor as a tender-hearted dork, Yaz protested a bit much when her mom asked if she and the Doctor were dating so there's a ship right there, empty hotels are inherently spoopy, and Graham's grief subplot gives all the feels.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Astroman posted:

Actually so far this is a theme isn't it?

Tim Shaw: zapped back to his home planet

Ilin the Race Guy: swans off, no consequences for being a dick

Krasko: sent to the past or something

President Bigly: goes on with his businesses and presidential campaign

It seems a bit much to assume Chibnall is having every single rear end in a top hat get away with it at the end of each episode without setting something up for later in the season.

I sure hope so, it would be kind of cool if in lieu of a series arc, the finale ties a bunch of disparate threads together. It's just hard to imagine Chibnall isn't doing this on purpose. alternately, he could deliberately be characterizing the Doctor as still finding her footing, and there's finally a big moment where the Doctor definitively handles an antagonist. The Doctor hasn't yet met with serious sexist treatment in Earth's past, so that's going to be very interesting, too.

It's weird because I don't think the writing is BAD, but it's lacking structure and polish in the way a lot of Moffat episodes have. on my wishlist for next season I'd like to see Chibnall hand more episodes off to guests, and also not frontload the episodes written by him.

also I haven't seen much yet to justify why the Doctor should have three companions. I defended the move before the season because I saw potential, but it's creating some weird problems I didn't anticipate.

Here's the biggest - other than the premiere, so far nothing's been particularly fatal in consequence. With four characters with plot armor, who all need moments, it's difficult to also develop guest characters doomed to die. so nobody dies in Ghost Monument despite the stated risks. Rosa obviously isn't one of those "risk of terrible death" episodes, but Arachnids in the UK is, and of the three confirmed deaths, only one is a speaking character, and none of the victims ever meet the Doctor and companions. Once the group gets together, nobody dies, nobody's even injured.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Martman posted:

By emphasizing that the Rosa Parks event needed to have the circumstances be just so in order for the civil rights movement to happen, I think that episode diminished the agency of the black rights movement. By the end I was hoping they would fail to actually line everything up perfectly, and then find that Rosa Parks and the rest of the movement just kept on trucking, picked a different day, and made it work. Instead of acknowledging that the system could have reacted basically the same on any random day and that the black rights movement was deeply planned and well thought out, the episode acted like they just happened to hit the jackpot on that day for no good reason. It's kind of insulting.

I think the idea was that little changes could have a ripple effect, even the circumstances of Rosa Parks getting arrested. The Doctor didn't want to risk that, and didn't have access to the TARDIS to calculate if it would matter. If you knew a malevolent time traveler was making minor alterations, even if they seemed trivial, I think you'd want to stop them.

It was sort of vague what the threat was, so I can see why people would think the show was definitely saying that Rosa Parks' arrest would not have happened then. It's worth noting that the episode went out of its way to show Blake being awful to her years before, and also in real life she avoided riding a bus driven by him as much as possible. The history between her and Blake mattered. It wasn't just any driver.

I dunno, I'm being charitable to the show I guess, but I think it was vague enough that either position is supportable. Which is a bit of an issue.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Is "the great Earth hero Avocado Pit" supposed to mean something?

If Moffat were still running the show I would assume Ryan or Graham end up doing something in a future episode, and giving that as a fake name. Moffat sured loved time loops.

Am I crazy for considering this my favorite episode of the season? It was fun, had good production design, was the most coherently structured episode Chibnall has written in his tenure, and it properly ended. Thia time the enemy not being destroyed made sense, as it was set up as xenomorph-level durable. Also I appreciate the Doctor solving the twin problems by using one to fix the other. The solution was pretty obvious, but satisfying nonetheless.

Also the Doctor felt the most Doctor-ish she has so far, while also making her specific idiosyncrasies more obvious. The antimatter speech seems uniquely Thirteen.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

That was a fantastic episode. I teared up when the aliens showed up right before Prem got shot.

Patel seemed to know what Chibnall was going for better than Chibnall himself, and also wrote really well for the Doctor. Also, hey, this is the first time the Doctor's gender has been remotely relevant. It really seems like Yaz doesn't believe the Doctor is serious about having previously been a man. The Doctor babbles so much silly nonsense, it would make sense if Yaz thought it was just the Doctor being a weirdo. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that twelve didn't think a black man could be a math teacher and just... wow, yeah, that's pretty gross.

His negging on Clara's looks the whole season bothered me in the moment, but this one whizzed right by and I didn't notice how :stare: it is.

I liked him a lot better in his second and third series.

The writer of that episode, Gareth Roberts, is a lovely person with horrifying opinions. He will probably never write for the show again.