Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Man, Grace’s death has left a really bad taste in my mouth. It felt very unnecessary, and they telegraphed it coming quite hard. I was hoping it was a misdirect, but no.

I didn't see it coming at all. I was actually surprised.

I really liked it and got properly invested in the story from the start. A very different and refreshing tone. I felt like a real step up to me for the production and the writing. The villain was very generic (as a character if not as a design) but otherwise I thought everyone was strongly characterised from the start, even the bit parts. The Doctor was still The Doctor but the focus of the story really feels like it has shifted back to 'The Doctor as traveller' rather than 'The Doctor as the most important being ever'. Low key and effective.

I'm a bit sad to see the Capaldi outfit go though, it was actually a really good look for Whittaker. But then I'll probably have a clearer opinion on the new costume when we properly get to see it in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

docbeard posted:

And Jodie Whittaker is, of course, phenomenal as the Doctor. A bit of Tennant in her portrayal (completely understandable when you figure how closely they've worked together in the past) and a bit of Smith too, but she feels like a distinct character.

Yeah, Tennant-ish seems like a good way to describe her in this one. They seemed to drop the 'The Doctor doesn't know how to act around Earth-people at all' thing that Smith and Capaldi had a lot of. It would be a bit of a coincidence, and probably just due to the change in production and script direction, if the first woman Doctor ends up also being the first one in a while to have passable social skills and emotional adjustment though; like women can't be creepy stunted weirdos too. :v:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently it's a version made for young adults. There's some gore (when they find the body in the garage) and Grace's fall and impact are shown. Etc.

Seems a bit pointless, if true.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Tiggum posted:

It really felt like there was a scene missing where the Doctor actually transferred the bombs. I think maybe they wanted to have the solution be a surprise to the audience, but it really shouldn't have been because it would have worked a lot better if it had been properly set up.

Yeah, that came back to me today. It was, as shown, a complete arse-pull. It's a structural thing though.

Part of the episode's tension came from the DNA bomb threat. If they'd had a scene where they got rid of or otherwise diabled them on-screen, the characters lose that threat hanging over them and also some of the explanation as to why they're hanging around this massively dangerous situation (except The Doctor of course). But by not setting up that something's been done with the DNA bombs, you keep that tension which helps drive the story forward at the cost of another deus ex machina ending. I'm not sure how to work resolve that without cutting the DNA bomb plot point entirely. :shrug:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

:doh: Can't believe I didn't put that together. Something to look out for on a rewatch. I guess that's egg on my face then.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I admit, having Ten and Donna (and Wilf!) experiencing new adventures makes me feel like Big Finish is giving Moffat the finger for what he did to Donna during Journey's End.

That was RTD though. Several times, Moffat wrote scenes that seemed to be rebukes of that plot point.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I'm going to the Winn-Dixie to make groceries!

Sounds like a euphemism for taking a poo poo.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Dabir posted:

I mean, at that point he'd spent the majority of his life as that man.

Given how fast The Doctor runs through lives, it still might be the longest time spent in one life.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

That was a completely fine episode but like SiKboy I felt it was really a series of very good individual moments that didn't make a particularly coherent overall story. The two contestants deciding to call it a draw didn't really feel earned, the cloth was creepy until it started talking, and the "timeless child" stuff feels like the worst of Moffat's series theme stuff making a return.

That said, visually it is gorgeous, I really like all the companions (Yaz is currently the weakest, but I imagine she will get her chance to shine) and the Doctor is, as always, great.

Yeah, I agree with this. Part of what I really liked about last week was that it seemed like we were dropping ~The Lore~ and were just going to focus on fun stories. I just don't care about The Doctor's off-screen past life in a stuffy old space aristocracy or how important she is in the universe.

I think the two contestants wore their life philosophies one their sleeves a bit too much as well. I did like Graham and Ryan's sort-of heart-to-heart and attempt to fix the boat, that was great. Whittaker's Doctor was good in this, still feels like the character is finding its feet though. Still got really heavy Tennant vibes from her performance, with a dash of Smith's lighter moments.

Speaking of Tennant, I'm surprised how much the 'No Guns, ever' thing has stuck with the character considering it started in The Doctor's Daughter (IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong), which otherwise didn't matter much for anything. It felt so on the nose here. The Doctor didn't say something like 'Don't go out and shoot the robots because you'll probably get mowed down', 'The robots might be unaffected by their own lasers', or even give the line about out-thinking them before Ryan runs out, but just comes across as holding a general moral principle against holding a trigger. It came across as a bit weird in this case as these clearly seemed to be just dumb, unsentient, and unintelligent robots; nothing living would've been harmed.

I wonder if the Tim Shaws are going to be the overall villains of the series or if they'll just show up in the background of things every now and again.

Pesky Splinter posted:

It did feel a bit rushed towards the end.

And, like the last episode, it did feel like it need another go through the dialogue just to tighten it - I have a feeling this is going to be a recurring pet peeve of mine during Chibnal's stuff.

I've avoided spoilers but did check Wikipedia to see who wrote this (I missed it the first time around) and it looks like he's doing the first four eps this series. So that feeling might endure for another few weeks or so.

Also, big fan of the really old-school take they've done on the opening and theme. The new TARDIS interior seems okay, a bit hard to tell in the low lighting. Doesn't seem very homely though. The new costume seemed fine, it's okay, it doesn't draw much attention to itself or seem overly distracting.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

So Alabama's segregation ends because of a grandfather paradox started by a far-future white supremacist that ensures the bus was full that evening?

Okay.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

No it happened, he went back to try and change it, the Doctor and companions nudged things back as close to the original conditions as they could and happily did a good enough job that things went back along their original path. If the time-racist hadn't shown up and tried to change things, then the end result would have been the same: Rosa Parks refuses to move from her seat and gets arrested.

See that's what I thought until The Doctor said "We're part of the story" (or something like that) so I shifted to the other understanding it. I'm probably just weighting that line too heavily. I guess that old couple would've been on before the shenangians. :shrug:

quote:

My biggest concern going into the episode was that Rosa would only do these things because she was inspired or directed to by either the Doctor or her companions, so I was glad they were mostly just along for the ride trying to keep the obstacles out of her path so she could do what she was always going to do in the first place.

That was good though. I liked a lot of the ideas in this episode, like the mostly non-violent butterfly effect villain and the indirect conflict between the two forces. As other people have noted though, it did feel a points like something you'd play to the class in the last few days of the summer term. Especially the way they shot that last scene in the TARDIS (which I'm liking the look of!).

Overall the episode was good. It was good to see an overtly socially concious episode that didn't back away from what it was trying to do. The overt racist outbursts of the townsfolk were well executed and genuinely uncomfortable to watch and they didn't massively gently caress it up and do something like "Rosa Parks is a Rutan".

JFC and I thought I could be dense

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Szmitten posted:

Weirdly specific opinion but I thought the episode was really good but the use of the "Rise Up" song was really a bit much. It felt very "X-Factor contestant gets through", inappropriate for the era (and playing it during the credits was weird), and I feel like "Rise Up" isn't quite the right thing to use lyrically for a person who sparked a revolution by sitting down.

Very good bold and effecting episode otherwise. Song just reminded me of being in school having James Blunt songs blasted at us for positive reinforcement.

Wasn't a fan of the song either but it was pretty funny they kept the song going over the Next Time trailer, bridging Rosa Parks being arrested with an attack of the Giant Spiders.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

It seems like these four episodes have been an extended intro arc. I wonder if any of the villains we saw will be back in the end. Apart from Tim Shaw and maybe Krasko, they've not faced dramatic comeuppance.

Anyway, that was probably the tightest feeling episode of the 4. The Doctor's gun aversion felt handled much better here, as there was actually someone trying to use them as a lazy and cruel solution to the problem at hand. I'm the liking the dropping in of realistic-sounding scientific tidbits in the background of the stories. (I have no idea if real spiders hate vinegar and garlic.) Helps the whole thing feel more down-to-Earth and less like magic bollocks is constantly happening.

Jerusalem posted:

I guess we're left to assume that they dealt with the spiders in the panic room after the fact somehow, but they did just kinda go from "rear end in a top hat shoots the dying mother spider" to everything else is just fixed now in a heartbeat, which was disappointing.

I guess The President-Elect of 2020 delt with it after the others left. They probably didn't have much of a life span anyway, given the size of them.

Also "You're that bloke!" is such a great line. The characters were all really strong in this episode. I found it funny that Chris North was basically Trump but they mentioned Trump is actually the US President in the show's world and so his character has to be someone who's got personal beef with him.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

that was ok because it was series 3, the one in which he refuses to shoot the master because he would never kill anyone using a gun, so it's in perfect characterization really

fixed

but seriously, The Doctor's moral principles between stories usually seem about as consistent as the time travel physics (excluding actual arcs of character development)

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

More seriously, Ten has some major problems with his morals but some of that is addressed in the story - everyone acknowledges the Racnoss thing is purely monstrous in context, and it's repeatedly suggested to him that he needs someone to travel with him to reign him in.

I prefer "Coward, every time"/ "The man who never would!" to "I used to have so much mercy..."/ "No second chances!" personally.

Eleven had a lot of that as well, to be honest. It's a bit weird, thinking about it again, that Twelve was meant to be this big, dark arc for The Doctor but I don't really remember him doing anything as sketchy as drowning a whole race of children, killing already retreating foes, or blowing up spaceships of semi-alive cyborg-foes just to leverage information. He was just a bit curt about people dying for a while.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

It had a few nice moments (mainly the antimatter speech) but I found it a bit dull overall. Felt like filler. I didn't connect to the various dramas although the jokes generally hit. I ended up checking my phone in the last minute during the general's eulogy. I much prefered last week.

The guy that played the android had some good dynamic poses when he was doing stuff in the background, the one who played the chief doctor was okay, the general's story felt like it needed more time to make me care, Ryan's arc was nice (because I already like Ryan as a character) but the space-dad and the 2nd-in-command doctor didn't really have anything outisde of "I don't believe in myself... Now I believe in myself". The Pting was obviously just a hungry animal from the second we saw it so there wasn't much tension in figuring that out.

Next week looks like it could be pretty interesting though.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I think the "worst" thing about this episode is that the new medic/doctor didn't really get any growth or development after the initial,"I'm new and nervous and not confident in my own abilities" bit.

Although I also really didn't like the implied (though probably not intended) message of,"If you don't keep your baby, no matter how unprepared or capable you are, that is bad." The obvious intention was that the dad was more capable than he believed himself to be (in conjunction with the other doctor who didn't believe in herself) and just needed encouragement, but it was very clumsily handled.

I hadn't even thought about it that way. It just seemed obvious he was going to keep the baby from the start to me. I didn't genuinely feel there was a tension there.

Maybe because every bit from his introduction involving him had a joke or quip of some kind. He's clearly meant to be comic relief and that'd be a bit too serious for him, leaving aside how it dovetails for Ryan's and Graham's family backstory.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Jodie looks like Chadwick Boseman did after having to do the Wakanda Forever salute for 47,000th time.

https://twitter.com/blogtorwho/status/1060933174530850817

"We did twenty takes and that was the best one."

However, I like the look of the TARDIS set in that shot. That's good lighting for it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Overall, that was good. Very much a family drama about the divisions of the partition (which like Graham, I don't know much about) where the team were just in the background.

The alien aspects felt a bit crowbarred in after their deal was explained. Why were they such pricks to the group who obviously had already blown their cover and wanted to know what was up with these famous former assassins? The Doctor didn't make them come clean, they just did it themselves after she mentioned that fact to their face. I wonder if that mystery would hold up on a rewatch.

Anyway, I think the only bit I wasn't feeling was the last little scene with Yaz and her gran. Something about it didn't quite click for me and I'm not sure what, maybe it felt a bit too saccharine perhaps? I'm guessing the war stuff was included partly because of the airdate but it felt very naturally included.

Funnily enough I noticed more lines to explain things we've just seen in this one, and The Doctor's lines in the first scene felt a bit Smith/Capaldi, but otherwise the script seemed really well written. The guest-characters were all clearly drawn and you knew who they were in seconds. I hope the other 3 or so writers we'll get in this series will be as good.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I didn't realise that Cyberwoman was a semi-improvised comedy.

That would explain a few things though.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I enjoyed that when I was watching it. I really liked the idea of the setting and the design of everything. Although despite the new production values, the CGI's credibility got pushed to its limits during the conveyer belt scene. But now that I'm writing my thoughts down, I have a few puzzlements, though it may just be stuff I've missed. It's all in the climax's end and the bits just after.

I felt the last scene with Charlie lacked that last bit of oomph to really sell it. Was he a lone agent or part of an organised group? Will others try this plot or something like it again? I think maybe a more angry or hateful final few moments from him /his actor may have worked better because The Doctor has, from his view, ruined what seems to be the best prospect of fixing a galactic unemployment crisis. And is she not annoyed at the system for apparently choosing to kill employees at random in order to rout out the saboteur and then (maybe) sacraficing another to get at that individual? (I get that it targeted Yaz with the antique lamp order because she was new on the system but surely someone who started work that day can't be responsible for a long term issue although they may be related to it.) It seems that having a system that would do that as a response to problems is a set of issues all by itself and may be grist to the anti-Kerblam mill. Despite Charlie meeting a fate of his own design, the ending still felt a bit rushed. Prehaps the setting as a whole bit off more than the story could chew.

Also I don't think I've popped bubble-wrap deliberately since I was little so that part of the trap seemed a bit weird to me. It's a clever way to hide bombs in plain sight but I dunno. Felt a bit too silly.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The system didn't kill the other employees, that was Charlie reprogramming the dispatch robots to kill anybody who got too near Dispatch where he was holding back the other dispatch robots for the big teleport. The system did try to lure Yaz there, but only because it knew she was one of the Doctor's crew and (we can assume) figured she'd be better equipped to handle it - which she was, Lee Mack didn't consider the robots threats which is how they killed him, but Yaz immediately got freaked out and made a run for it.

Huh? I didn't really get that impression at all. Again, I might have just missed one of Charlie's last lines (I know he said he studied cybernetics and a buch of other things to pull this off) but I thought they'd established dispatch was all automated (except for the cleaning staff) and no (non-cleaning) humans were allowed down there anyway.

I guess, after learning what was happening and hearing your take (which seems reasonable), I'm struggling to get what happened to Lee Mack. Shouldn't it have told him to go back before it killed him if it sent a message meant for Yaz that he answered? Yaz thought at the end that it would have killed her if she followed that call so it wasn't clear to her by the end that that had happened. And the whole scene was still in the warehouse, not dispatch (which getting to required jumping down a chute or teleporting, although I can imagine there were stairs or a lift somewhere). We still have the issue of 'kill first, don't clarify to humans' AI. (Unless the call for Yaz was from Charlie's machinations, in which case that would make sense to me. He's clearly willing to kill people for the 'greater good'.)

quote:

It absolutely did deliberately kill Kira and more should have been made of that, I agree.

Yeah, that felt overlook felt weird especially after The Doctor spent time saying she had a good attitude and defended her against the manager.

I think if I think about this too much, I'll wreck it a bit for myself even though I had fun watching it.

However, one good point is that I feel like this episode had the sections where Whittaker got to play some moments that really sold her Doctor and what she's about. I think the bits where she was standing up to the management really showed how she could somehow take control of a situation and try to make everything right again.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I never got the vibe that the Kerblam company was okay and hunky-dory or that the show was fully on board with it. It's obvious that the society that the company comes from is basically in the poo poo and the warehouse is a clearly overbearing, jargon-filled hell, with under-resourced managers/caretakers, which takes advantage of the luckiest of the desperate who have to work for a living.

But having The Doctor resolve a smaller problem instead of the major one (i.e. the economic and social system) has been what she's done all series so far. She stopped (at least) thousands of people (who just happened to be using a presumably monopolistic space-goods distributor) from being killed and (generally) solved the mystery of why people were being disappeared from the warehouse.

Sure, she didn't personally smash the whole company there and then but that's not what The Doctor does on the whole in many of these situations. The even more brutal future-capitalism and commodification of Oxygen is left to fall to a revolution later on without his intervention. Even in The Happiness Patrol, where he did help a revolt against Helen A, it wasn't led by himself and it came after she had already started a deliberate state-led mass-slaughter program against those who wouldn't conform.

Necrothatcher posted:

What the christ was the point of that? Giant corporations are great and workers rights campaigners are monsters?

gently caress off.

It depends on if Charlie was a working alone (i.e. as some kind of a Unabomber type) or with others. He's not started a union or (on-screen) tried to organise anyone, he's just gone straight to 'kill people who buy goods until things change'. It depends on if we're supposed to think he represents workers' rights supporters in general. As he is not shown as trying to unionise, I don't think he is. If the cleaners at actual Amazon warehouses used the couriers to start bombing people with their parcels, it'd be seen as unconscionable. If anything, he's a violent and isolated young man. He barely speaks to anyone at work at his break, except Kira. He comes across as a bit of an incel.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's kind of an accidental pro-revolution story, given it's mostly about how Bob Holmes hated the Inland Revenue.

I've not watched that story but now I might now check out this tale where I presume a ball of seaweed is collecting taxes and doing bureaucracy.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Well this was going great until the Morax/Alien tech stuff took over.

True, but that was maybe 4 minutes of the episode at most.

I absolutely loved this (maybe because I've been out drinking recently before this today). No idea how accurate the portrayal is, as I've not studied James VI and I specifically in much depth, but Alan Cumming's King James is a hilarious foil and it's a shame they wrote it so that he killed Becka and Whittaker's Doctor is pissed at him forever. It'd be great to see him ham it up as an ignorant, arrogant king again. I hope the Witchfinder General's hat gets a few more uses in her run.

Also the Morax Queen's speech was too on the nose. "We're going to bring hate and power" etc., or however it went. It's overly cartoonish and not believable for me for someone to actively say they're bringing hate. People usually hate while avoiding acknowledging that they're doing so, couching it in some 'greater good' or 'way things should be'. I think that line needed a re-write.

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 25, 2018

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Following the above two posts, I'm never sure how to feel about historical episodes in Doctor Who. This one really helps me express something that has bugged me.

Part of me feels that (when set far enough in the past), The Doctor cannot help but patronise those (fictional) people who could not have known any better. (Obviously, I hope, this doesn't apply to Alabama in the 50s. By that point, Michigan and it's folk could have known enough to know better.) I think this may be something from the writers of historical episodes. I'm not surprised that, when all the alien things were somewhat explained to (the way in-over-his-head and dense) King James I and VI, that he still understood it under the paradigm of 'witches and Satan'. Why wouldn't he? When The Doctor says 'the cells are all being taken away' (or however exactly it goes), that cannot mean anything to him. Cells weren't discovered until just after James dies by Hooke (and even then, not fully in the way we understand). While, of course to our eyes, James is wrong to run to Becka shouting "Burn the witch!" (also lmao they got Cummings to say that, I enjoy that very much), I'm not sure that, remembering the limitations of the C17th scientific paradigm, The Doctor can just proclaim her correctness to these people. She is right to go after Becka because as we see she is executing people from of her position of authority to try and save herself from her disease/the Morax/the idea of 'Satan', but I'm not sure the episode or any of the cast show any real understanding of (the nowadays ludicrous) worldview of the time.

All in all though, the atmosphere until the big reveal is so well done. This is a great episode, imo

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

It's, what? The third? Fourth time that's happened this season?

I assumed that, had Alan Cummings's King James not burned her, she would have lived, or at least The Doctor thought so. The Morax would have left her body and it could've been written off as a possession or some such to be never spoken of again. It shows a complete lack of grasp of a (for The Doctor) fantastically old fashioned mindset. Even Becka, the person infected by the Morax Queen, thought she was possessed by Satan's powers. She's a somewhat tragic figure killed by something beyond her comprehension, aiming to fix her problem in an inhumane way allowed for by the politics of the time. Like last week, I think, the more I reflect on it, the worse it gets.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Narsham posted:

The other corpses seemed to be as intact as they were before being filled with Morax, so that's quite possible. It's also possible that by burning that body, James killed the Morax Queen as well as Becka. I assume that this Doctor would be upset at both.

Now it's been a day (and a hangover later), I think I was making way too much hay out of that bit at the end to be honest. It's basically the same character moment that happens in The Woman Who Fell to Earth and Arachnids in the UK. The main threat has been resolved and someone who has been powerless so far against the threat chooses to stick the boot in after it's justifiable or needed. Karl kicks Tim Shaw off of the crane after his DNA-bombs have backfired, Robertson shoots the spider when it's already dying from its size, and King James tries to "burn the witch" after it's clear that the Morax is being driven away. I guess that's a recurring theme in this series.

In that scene, James' flaw is a lack of curiosity about the occurring events beyond the superficial details. It looks like witchcraft and magic so it must be, despite him being told by a clearly knowledgable person that it isn't. He 'knows' how to deal with magic; purify, burn, and (dare I say) exterminate it. While he says he wants to know the mysteries of existence, he doesn't take any time to reflect or consider that he may not know anything more than the gist of what's going on. Given The Doctor's skills and knowledge of the details of James' own life, he doesn't even think to consider a corollary explanation about her, for example her being some kind of emissary from God or some such. He can believe in tangible ambassadors of Satan and evil, but not in anything good and worthy beyond himself and the way he would do things. Compare that to Willa, who is equally if not even more so scientifically ignorant, but actually has an attitude that (despite being intimidated by the force and power of the Morax and of the King) allows her to trust in others and not rush to destructive stock actions. In retrospect, I'm happier with that part of the ending even acknowledging that it basically goes to pot the moment the Morax Queen shows up.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

SKIN

OF METAL!

and a body that will never age or die

Doesn't Trigger also do the voice of the Cyber Controller in that one? That's such a good touch.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Listen to the trees

Well, the Cheem seemed like a pretty sensible lot. Roots everywhere.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

That got very surreal at the end, to say the least.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

spog posted:

What, 'being able to act' is a weird standard?

I don't think 'being able to act' is a weird standard but I found her performance and accent completely believable so I found her a good choice.

If anything, the one weird bit was they did a bit of that thing where being blind is secretly a superpower (at least in the mirror realm) because it meant she couldn't be fooled by the Solitract.

Also, as others said above, it just becomes exposition central after they go through the mirror. But Graham's confrontations with 'Grace' were so good, it carried the expo dumps up to the Frog scene. Which was so weird it was an amazing climax. I love that they used a rubber frog and not just a CGI one too. Makes it that more strange.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

It was okay? I enjoyed watching it, but I basically always do enjoy watching an episode at the time, however the attempts at feeling larger and more epic for the finale didn't grab me. The Graham/Ryan arc/plot was good, Tim Shaw isn't really that interesting by himself, never really felt the Ux or their faith as interesting and the amnesiac captain was fine.

I find 'established villain gets extra powers and a god-complex' a bit cliché for pulp media. I guess the return was meant to make this feel a bit more exciting? I enjoyed last week's a lot more.

I did cringe a bit at "I've got a Ghost Monument". Didn't land correctly for me.

I think this series has been at its best when its shied away from trying to be grand and spectacular and focused on the central characters more. That's definitely how this episode went.

E: I did like the moment where Ryan calls The Doctor out for her views on weapons and she just says she changes them all the time. It got a laugh from me.

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 9, 2018

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

What is the difference between placing someone in stasis for eternity vs killing them?

You can revive them from stasis for expanded universe materials. :colbert:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

God I hope this is in the 2020 series.

Also, an old friend of mine retweeted this thread on the issues in the finale. I thought it articulately put a few things into my mind I hadn't thought of before, so I thought I'd share. Don't know who the author is but his profile says he's a script-writer/editor, which is good although he does live in Basingstoke.

https://www.twitter.com/ellardent/status/1072087053054214144

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

There's also this updated version too, on the same channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNuHV-iLBRw

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

Humans crave structure. We want things to fit into our lives in simple, easy-to-remember folders. When things change, we get scared.

Source: me, upon hearing Doctor Who is taking 2019 off

That's not unusal at all though. :sigh:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Just finished calling it back. Very fun. It did feel like I was switching channels between Eastenders and an sci-fi action movie at points, but it somehow managed to keep the tone nicely balanced. The actors brought their best stuff to this. Cole gave a fantastic performance in the café scene. When Graham started the reveal of the TARDIS to Aaron, Walsh seemed like, in another world, he could've acted a great Doctor too. Whittaker was great in this too. I know some people have said she's not felt fully like 'The Doctor' so far and, while disagreeing, I could see where one would be coming from with that. If someone says that after this episode, then they'll baffle me. Still seems like Chibnall doesn't know quite what to do with Yaz most of the time though, which is a shame.

Chibnall did the same thing Davies did in Dalek - one lone, deadly Dalek (with some new powers). It worked really well, and felt like more of a threat from the moment it was revealed than, in my eyes, anything that Moffat did with them. The recon-Dalek's antics were great to watch (credit to Ritchie for selling the facial expressions and movements well) and the home-made casing looked great too. The CGI didn't sell me on a couple of the flying shots and the missile stuff but nothing's perfect. The lighting in a few of the shots felt a bit flat at some points; it'd go from looking great to looking a bit cheap to great again. Not sure why, I don't know much about TV filming. :shrug: The UNIT bits and the family wi-fi gags were pretty silly but the editing managed to slot them in without breaking the tone. The labelling looked awful although the GCHQ bit was hilarious - might be up there with that "TO BE CONTINUED" gif from Journey's End.

Resolution felt a bit quick; the recon-Dalek standing in a spot to get sucked into space by 'dalek-sized vacuum', and not having any contingency plan like 'get someone else to stand by the doors in case there's a trick', was a bit of a "We have 5 minutes to wrap this up"-thing but, eh, the revival series has been full of that sort of stuff for almost 14 years at this point. I did believe the show coould have actually killed off Ryan's dad, because they did that with Grace, (even though thinking about it now it'd be a bit too grim for a New Year's special) so the scene still had some tension.

Overall, one of Chibnall's best. The dialogue felt a lot less functional/stating things we can see throughout, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Pastamania posted:

That was pretty good, but as ever with Chibnall, there's a shitton of one liners and plot points that go nowhere that just leaves a bit of a weird proverbial aftertaste.

I'm sometimes a bit nitpicky with this show but the only bit I'd really agree with you on here is the recon-Dalek letting Lyn live. None of the other things stood out to me. And with regards to Lyn and the Dalek, it's basically so we can have the scene with Ryan's dad in the climax and not have him die and to not be overly brutal to a named character in a special meant for a slightly broader audience. It seems a tad out of character for a Dalek, but I'm sure someone somewhere will write into some licensed novel or BF story why that actually makes sense as a tactic. I mean, it doesn't really matter either way because Lyn and Mitch don't really do anything in the rest of the plot.

Thinking back, I find it amusing just how unsubtle it was for a reconnaissance troop. It could have gone completely under the radar for a time when it got it's gun back and it seemed to make itself basically untraceable. (Actually, I feel that Chibnall perhaps somewhat over-egged the tracking capabilities of the TARDIS and the recon-Dalek's ability to block them. That scene was almost all just :techno: exposition.) But that the old "WE ARE THE SUPREME BEINGS"-thing drives it to make a new Dalek casing at all costs, despite not having half the required tech, and then rush into sending the signal ASAP felt completely in character.

Stabbatical fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 3, 2019