Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
At Madison Square Garden for the big premiere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They may have said no two-parters but as the cliffhanger indicated, that's not the same as no continuity.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

braxiatel you rear end in a top hat

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Here he is auditioning to be the new drummer for Spinal Tap

Edit: And of course, here is... The Who!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92RbydVwuc

don't doxx me

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Nonsense. 8 put down the gun belt. War is his ska phase - he pickitupickituppickiyup.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I thought Capaldi was obviously fusing the Two Bakers the whole way through.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think he was pretty heavy on the Colin, not a whole lot of Tom, but I can see that.

What Capaldi brought to the role is complicated, and I think a lot of people couldn't see it past his resting bitchface. Fundamentally, 12 is a busted-up dude, who in his first two seasons is deeply codependent and insecure - constantly trying to live up to his own standards and self-critical in extremis, especially compared to the cavalier attitudes of 10 and 11.

The Doctor Falls is all about that tension. 12 is, by now, more confident in his ability to be The Doctor - confident enough to try to (and succesfully, though he never gets to find out) turn Missy - but without believing his own hype at the same time. It is constant work to be a good person, but hard work and self-flagellation aren't the same thing. By the end, 12 knows that.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

did anyone catch this visual quote?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

We're constantly told This Is The Dark Doctor

Told by who? Just because a character - Vastra, Clara, the Doctor himself - makes an assumption doesn't mean it's true, or stays true. This is a critical thing that Moffat, both at his best and at his worst, maintains in his plotting and characterization- no character is really an authority on themselves or anyone else, they all have biases and make assumptions and mistakes, and the viewer is meant to not take anything as stone fact.

Each of Capaldi's season finales illustrate his character precisely, as does the entirety of s10 very clearly, but s8 and s9 show it too. It's developed, it's rich, it's consistent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

(borad voice) my wife

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i mean that was obvious self-loathing and projection

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

dr who is always at its best when it's aggressively anticapitalist

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

The two different Seventh Doctors irritates me.

it's totally in-character tho

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Doctor Mysterio

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Peeny Cheez posted:

plz to explain

the metacrisis 10 duplicate grown from 10's severed hand that went off to live happily ever after with rose

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I really wanted to like this, and I still mostly do, but it lied about the history it focused on. Parks' protest wasn't spur-of-the-moment - it was a carefully-planned, scouted, and organized act of civil disobedience.

Sure this is better than "oh she was a tired old lady who just wanted to sit" like my school books claimed, and included her activism, but it fucks up the act itself and I shudder to think why.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You pick two at most out of fast, cheap, and good and BBC funding ain't what it used to be.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pretending that racism just ~vanishes~ over time is a neoliberal end-of-history fantasy that only hurts antiracist activism. Better to acknowledge, face, and denounce the evils that fester and recur in humanity than pretend those forms of hate will just fade away.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

poo poo i just realized i said "denounce the evils" like team loving rocket

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I have very complicated feelings about the DW budget.

It shouldn't be starved out the way Moffat claims it has been, but it also should not be a commercial product. It's public television and the whole "slut it up", "big money-maker" attitude flies in the face of the messages of anticapitalist action that made Oxygen the best 45 minutes of Who that season.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Those accurate Montgomery buses were, I guarentee, mondo expensive. Krasco's gun was dirt cheap.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Big finish is capable of greatness. They're also capable of doubling down hard on Dr Who's greatest mistakes, like gross orientalism and Heroic Superchurchill.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The 6th Doctor Regeneration Boxset and the contemporary post-Trial Six-and-Peri stories were so dire they turned me off BF big-time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, when you only get McGann in for 4-6 hours a year, you wanna tell some varied stories, I imagine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

the dick

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

High Warlord Zog posted:

That was fine. The plot was a pretty flimsy and some of the action beats needed more room to breath, but the character moments were great, especially with Graham in his house. So same flaws as the other episodes, but more pronounced. I like that the show is about people now and not convoluted puzzle box storytelling for the sake of being clever and to the end of delivering overblown self indulgent proclamations about the show itself.

the capaldi era was 110% about people

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I really liked that too, it felt like it was giving me back the neurodivergent Doctor who has to work past being self-absorbed and manic-obsessive, which with Capaldi I always found very relatable - Listen is all about Twelve in the throes of a manic episode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

super cool how this episode stans hard for a megacorporation

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

loathsome garbage. what a bummer for a sunday to go by without a new episode of doctor who, instead they aired this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I wasn't gonna get too deep into it when it was announced but man, the announcement that The Doctor is literally getting a Barbie Doll sent chills down my spine when it happened. It makes me start to take seriously the claims that Capaldi's lack of marketability was a big part of his gap year and eventual ousting - and when Season 10 had the Doctor declare, in no uncertain terms, that Capitalism is a mistake, and then this episode airs... aaaargh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oxygen is loving top-tier all-time revolutionary Who, right up there with Paradise Towers and The Ribos Operation and Jubilee.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

amazon is about to devastate my home city and man, I want Doctor Who to make me feel more capable of stopping that, not accuse me of being "heartless".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Like... the show's always had a bit of a leftist streak, but it also sold toy Daleks like a year after it started, so if the idea of merch and marketing makes your skin crawl... I'm actually not really sure how to advise you to engage with pop culture, because at the end of the day, the notion of 'doing it for the art' is frankly just as much horseshit as the idea that Amazon are 'the good guys'. Artists are people who deserve to be compensated for what they do, and if one of the ways they're allowed to do that is because the show justifies it's value via merch, then that's not a bad thing.

look I collect Transformers I'm well aware of all of this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Heaven Sent!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Best episode of the season, edging out Demons.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It is sincerely better that a blind actress get roles and paid work than that they meet your weird standards.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

12 was always good with kids, remember Hide? It was adults he was a dick to .

Hide was 11, Listen was 12.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gravastars posted:

So no new episodes until 2020 after the next special. I really hope Chibnall does step down after all of this because his showrunning is... questionable.

Episode itself was a mediocre capstone to an altogether mediocre season unfortunately.

Any proof of this?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man, I don't even think I wanna wait that long for stories of the calibur we've had so far.