Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can sortof see the theme the episode was going for - the characters are thrown into a deliberately cruel situation where everything (even the water and random garbage!) is out to get them, and you have an alien who can't trust anyone due to the world being so cruel. Then they realise that they're all in the same boat and need to trust each other to get by.

I think the thing the episode really needed was a proper resolution for Epzo's arc - that would've made the ending more satisfying and brought the theme into focus. I can totally believe that the experience of being saved and working together on this planet changed him, but we don't really see that happen. Just a brief scene showing some emotional resonance between Epzo and Angstrom would've gone a long way.

I actually liked the part where The Doctor broke down though. To me it seemed like The Doctor was optimistic and practical as long as there was something she could do to help, but once she realized there was actually nothing else she could do the crushing realization that three people would die due to her mistake hit her. Ultimately she couldn't solve everything on her own, she needed the help of her oldest companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

By that point in the episode it was already established that firing at the robots would just draw their ire. Ryan wasn't defending anyone from imminent danger, and he should've listened to/trusted the character who knew what they were dealing with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The writing was very heavy-handed but I did like the idea of a villain who's just trying to bugger up history due to being racist. Looking forward to his return where he'll be teaching dinosaurs to be racist.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm fine with the racists being racist, it was more stuff like the scene where Ryan and Yaz just sat down and spelt out the entire message of the episode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

docbeard posted:

She clearly wasn't "fine" with the big one suffocating, she just didn't get a chance to do anything about it before Mr. Bigly shot it.

I do agree that the show could stand to make her "guns bad but killing in some other fashion okay" attitude a little more nuanced, especially since it really seems more like "it's okay for me to kill things but not for the rest of you to", and that's an attitude that could lead somewhere interesting, given the Doctor's history.
I think it's mostly that a) people use guns without actually working out the best course of action first and b) guns are rarely good solutions to the problems she faces. Generally they just piss the monster off or attracts more alien soldiers to you. She'll only use violence after working out that it's actually required, and if she does it's generally on a larger scale that will actually solve the problem.

The spider at the end wasn't an immediate threat and there may have been some way to keep it alive in captivity.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She's just good at maintaining her work-life balance.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah massacring the Racnoss was specifically presented as Going Too Far and the reason Donna gave for joining Ten was to stop him from doing it again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the Great Intelligence also calls him out on it later?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regardless of the wider story beats I now appreciate that RTD and Moffat were both mostly pretty entertaining to watch throughout their runs. The new series felt painfully clunky and heavy-handed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the episode, it did a good job of selling the dalek as a uniquely dangerous threat and the Ryan storyline was very well done. I'm not sure those two aspects of the episode gelled together perfectly but it still worked pretty well.

Is there actually currently a dalek fleet to respond to the call? I've lost track of whether they're still around or totally dead forever this time.