Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fantastic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hey folks I'm from the future and the new episode certainly is something let me tell you!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

(Edit: replaced with version with better legend)

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 7, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dabir posted:

i read the legend at the top and I still don't understand what this graph is trying to tell me

same tbh. I asked the guy who made it to write a better explanation but he didn't care enough to do so.

E: Oh, looks like he put some more stuff in the imgur description.

quote:

Brown line counts days between announcement that the actor is leaving the role, and the regeneration

Blue line counts days between announcement of the replacement Doctor, and regeneration

Red line counts days between the actors final episode as The Doctor, and the regeneration (usually zero)

Finally, post-regeneration, we count in green the days till the new actors first full episode

E: Here's also a version with a new legend:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 7, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They also did a nice commentary video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_Sf1bkXLo

Turns out that giving Doctor Who a try can make you a fan, who would've thunk.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtfbwbjyqY

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My Twitter feed is talking about how kids say this was the scariest episode ever.

Real life racism is much scarier than Daleks, Cybermen, Weeping Angels or anything else scifi can come up with.

I was already a bit emotional because of all the bad news in the world the last couple days, and I thought I'd watch Doctor Who to cheer me up but I'm only more emotional now.

It's a good episode and I'm glad Doctor Who is teaching kids this important lesson. I'm okay with Doctor Who explanations being on the nose sometimes.
But it wasn't very helpful for my emotional state.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/i/events/1054093348963635200

Some powerful tweets.

https://twitter.com/VulcanMonk/status/1054083955421573127

https://twitter.com/CosmicWhoNerd/status/1054089815229112320

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

poo poo i just realized i said "denounce the evils" like team loving rocket

When did you regenerate into Jessie?

LividLiquid posted:

I'mma get a little personal, but I was raised by racist-as-gently caress parents who never came to terms with their own poo poo, so I had to deprogram a lot of it, and I gotta' tell ya': just admitting that racism exists and realizing nobody was saying it was my fault, but that I could be a participant in it, but didn't have to be, unclenched my metaphorical anus by like 30%.

I can't put into words how much I hate my dad and his idiot girlfriend's casual racism.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Which part of Paul McGann is the Middle Eight?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

OH MY GOD THEY KILLED KEVIN

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Did you know that because something something volume surface area, spiders this big can't walk on ceilings at all without falling off?

And also "random landfill mutates spiders into giants",

I mean I'm perfectly fine with a full on fantasy episode but at some points this episode felt like they were trying to put science where it doesn't belong.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Arachnids in the UK gifs:

Man, I'm so glad Doctor Who is back.

You got a broken image in there. I think it should be this one?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I found this on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHcwbYq7Ro8

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dsub posted:

I thought that speech was good up to when Chibnall was given the keyboard back. "It's beautiful. Antimatter powering the movement of matter, bringing... positrons into existence to move other forms of life across space, I love it! Conceptually and actually."

Antimatter doesn't bring positrons into existence, antimatter and positrons aren't a form of life, and I think "I love it! Conceptually and actually!" is something someone who doesn't give a poo poo but is very thankful they got a sentence from Brian Cox to put in their show would say.

Edit: the part where Ryan is giving the dude a pep talk about being a dad was nicely done, though. Also that bit where Yaz said "like the red cross?" and that bit where Yaz said "like at CERN?" and that bit where Yaz said "like a posh version of my uniform camera?" etc. Glad she got to kick an alien but feeling sorry she's just there to understand things on behalf of the audience.

I agree! That speech was by far the worst bit of the episode. For the most part it sounded like it was supposed to be scientifically accurate, and as Jerusalem said, maybe even educational. But the point of it was that they have an antimatter generator on board and then get energy from reacting the antimatter. But that idea breaches one of the base rules of physics: the law of conservation of energy. Creating antimatter uses up as much energy as reacting it does, and then there's always some overhead so in practice it'll use up more energy than it creates. So their "engine" is a net energy drain. It's like having a chemical plant in a car that creates gasoline that is then used as fuel by the car. It makes no sense!
Stop trying to act educational/scientific if you're just going to explain it in a way that goes against basic science.

They could've fixed it easily too. Just explain that the antimatter was created elsewhere or gathered from elsewhere and they're storing it in special magnetic fuel cells or something and use that to power the ship. You could make a neat story out of that and it would actually be scientifically accurate.

In other news, was Avocado a subtle reference to the character Avocato in the fun little animated scifi series Final Space?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SiKboy posted:

I'm literally a physics teacher and *I* want to shove you in a locker and steal your lunch money. They were reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. Doctor who has never really been "hard" sci fi, and really never will be, its a silly thing to criticize. C'mon now, the show ignores fundamental laws of physics in its central conceit. The future sci fi humans found a way to break conservation of energy at the same time they discovered how to go faster than light, have instantanious communication across star systems and create artificial gravity. This is a show where its notable if they get a science detail right (black hole time dilation), not when they get stuff wrong. It just needs to be sciencey enough to suspend the average persons disbelief, and that isnt terribly sciencey.

And I think Avacado was a joke because its a fruit not a person, but the alien thought it was a person. But I may be reading too much into it.

Thinking some more about it, I think my issue actually lies with the exposition others in this thread have also complained about it.

I don't mind exposition dialogue if it's functional or actually educational, like the Yaz/Ryan talk in the Rosa Parks episode.

But to compare this speech to a Moffat era episode, in a Moffat episode, the Doctor would've just thrown in one or two lines of very obvious technobabble with the companions looking confused and that would be it. Instead of obvious technobabble, Chibnall tries to explain what's going on in a way that *sounds* real (using real science terminology instead of "artron energy" or "reversing the polarity of the neutron flow" ) but getting it *just* wrong. It brings the scene right into a sort of uncanny valley between realism and obvious fantasy, where my suspension of disbelief gets broken and I get very annoyed. The same thing happened last week in the spiders episode. I think less exposition would help prevent this.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I am one of those weirdos who don't accept the doctors in The Curse of Fatal Death as real doctors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Listen to this, neither universe was our universe or at least it wasn't our earth.

I have proof.
In the beginning of the episode:
Doctor: "We're in Norway. One of the frilly bits on the top"
A few seconds later:
Doctor: "A cottage in Norway, in winter, but no smoke coming out of the chimney"

So they're in northern Norway in winter. But there's no snow except a little bit on the mountain tops, the forest is completely green, and looking at the background the sun must be reasonably high in the sky.
That's not how earth northern Norway works in winter.
I think they're stuck in an endless set of mirror universes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

"My rules change all the time" - The Doctor

Best line of the season.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Narsham posted:

Shorter Doctor Who fandom: most of these episodes desperately needed some extra thought and a few more drafts and rewrites. Also, we are outraged that the next series won't air until 2020.

See, this is what the fans would like to communicate to the producers.

But the producers need to be lucky or dig real deep to pick up this view from among the hundreds of twitters still complaining about how a :females: Doctor ruined the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, with UNIT gone, I guess this implies the Doctor is no longer the president of the earth either?