Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm excited, too. Feels like it's been ages since we've had new Doctor Who!

I've no idea if Jodie will be good but seeing as there's a new writer onboard she's got a better chance than most imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Season where the doctor regenerates every episode

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SiKboy posted:

I'm always slightly surpised how often, when blue sky thinking doctor who concepts, people accidentally reinvent "the Curse of the Fatal Death".

that was the joke thanks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

But I like the rubber masks :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How was it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Just saw the first episode. Looks amazing. I love the Doctor and the companions. She seems a lot kinder, several of the past doctors would have shouted at them when they didn't listen and Nan got killed.

One question I have and it comes up all the time - how do humans not know about aliens? Did they not deal with a planet wide issue on a weekly basis during 10s run?

donna was really busy ok

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Licarn posted:

Moffat didn't know how to do characterisation without just having the characters look at the camera and say it repeatedly. One of the worst ones was Danny, who was a soldier.

Run You Clever Boy And Be A Doctor

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

Scenes? The entirety of Hell Bent is a rebuke of that plot point.

I'm glad the doctor will risk the universe to save Clara and not his wife or in-laws, what a cool guy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

So what you're saying is that the thing that the episode explicitly presented as being hosed up is in fact hosed up?

Yeah or he should do that poo poo more often, whichever

Mostly I'm just mad they took away Donna's memories, that's the most hosed up

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Clara goes back in time to make sure Adric absolutely cannot leave the doomed spaceship

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I love Bradley Walsh and he was my favorite part of the episode. Jodie is ok also I suppose!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Safeword posted:

I only really know Walsh from The Chase, so seeing him act in a half decent way really caught me off guard.

He was great as the gruff sad cop on Law and Order UK so it was weird to find out he's basically always been a game show/soap opera guy

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 10, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's probably notable that Big Finish has done a Donna/10 box set, a Rose/10 box set, and now they're doing... another Donna set, because nobody cares about Martha

no love 4 martha

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

As high regard as everyone (including me, obv) holds The Eleventh Hour, I don't think I've ever seen anyone demand the return of the Atraxi.

So yeah.

remember when they inexplicably decided to bring back the santa robots to overwhelming ambivalence

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

what are some good big finish 7th stories, mccoy is awesome

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the doctor should be played by jean reno

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It is a good costume because it makes her look like an idiot

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I thought she looked pretty cool in 12's suit tbh

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://giant.gfycat.com/SparklingDeliriousDevilfish.webm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Spatula City posted:

I want a past character to return, see the TARDIS crew, and immediately know which one is the Doctor because she's dressed the silliest. :3:

You know very well they'll do a dumb gag where some returning character thinks Bradley Walsh is the doctor ha ha

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Listening to Chimes of Midnight and it seems good so far

e: what a stupid ending lol

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 13, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The entire final episode is just people doing exposition at eachother until the exposition solves the problem. What a waste of an interesting concept!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Eccleston was awesome and his outfit was part of that. I can't imagine any of the other doctors doing that scene in Dalek as well as that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Seven is the best doctor because he has the best umberrrrrrella. Qed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8 was obviously the Ska phase

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dirksteadfast posted:

12 is the “your mom won’t let you listen to this, but I won’t tell her” phase

he's actually the high school nerd who thinks listening to led zeppelin makes him smarter than everyone else

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

This is evil and you should both feel bad.

Some ones that I like:

Colditz - contains a guest starring pre-Doctor David Tennant as well as an interesting character that will go on to be a companion later
The Harvest - written by Dan Abnett, introduces a new companion, feels a bit New Adventures-y without the clag that generally goes along with that feel.
Live 34 - some nice format tomfoolery here, the whole thing is presented as a radio broadcast that the Doctor and companions appear in bits of
A Thousand Tiny Wings/Survival Of The Fittest/The Architects of History - an arc brings back the character I mentioned in Colditz as a companion. I really don't want to spoil anything about this arc as I think they're probably the most interesting companion that 7 has had and it's very much all about them.

Oh, almost forgot

UNIT: Dominion - if there's any chance you haven't had this one spoiled for you at this point it'd be a miracle but it's great even if you have. An excellent turn from Alex MacQueen too.

I have only listened to like eight or nine big finishes ever so really any recommendations are good. I've basically heard, uh, the monthly range from storm warning to chimes of midnight and that's it. I like Charley and 8 together, they seem fun. That also does include Colditz, which was rad as hell. Maybe I'll just start from the beginning and listen to everything in order lol

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 14, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

10 has the worst outfit by far imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mameluke posted:

11's immortal grad student look was far superior to the generic Victorian frock coat he ended his tenure in. Didn't he have two of those?

Yeah, they were lame. I liked his 1920s professor look more, it was great

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

He looks like someone doing an 8th doctor cosplay, it's weird and not good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I've been watching season 5 again and it's like, they clearly want the viewer to think Rory is a lame wet blanket but he's always right

Amy sneaks into an evil vampire school and he's like, this will go wrong, and she does anyway and what a shock

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Buml0r posted:

I was so happy when they acknowledged police boxes. It feels like the whole revival so far, nobody's ever acknowledged that police boxes were a thing in real life.

They didn't look like that at all though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Bradley Walsh is great, the other two are kinda....there?

I can't believe you'd say such things about New-Style Amy And Rory

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I hope that, someday, they'll attain the same level of quality as Jon Pertwee era Dr Who. He's the best doctor ever and I love him, I'm watching Season 7 and it's amazing

He's literally just Alan Quatermass and he's the best

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 14, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

jng2058 posted:

I mean, she's kinda gotta say that, but really, the gloomy interior doesn't really suit her, at least as she's been acting so far. She's pretty much the upbeat happy Doctor thus far, this TARDIS fits more with the War Doctor or late era Seven, maaaaybe Eight or Lonely God Ten. Thirteen needs something a little more cheerful and brightly lit. :colbert:

I think that clearly she'll be tormented on the inside or something like that. Also making the set that way makes it very easy to do the "everyone looks at the tardis console" shot with moody lighting so that's the other reason

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

What Capaldi brought to the role is complicated, and I think a lot of people couldn't see it past his resting bitchface. Fundamentally, 12 is a busted-up dude, who in his first two seasons is deeply codependent and insecure - constantly trying to live up to his own standards and self-critical in extremis, especially compared to the cavalier attitudes of 10 and 11.

The Doctor Falls is all about that tension. 12 is, by now, more confident in his ability to be The Doctor - confident enough to try to (and succesfully, though he never gets to find out) turn Missy - but without believing his own hype at the same time. It is constant work to be a good person, but hard work and self-flagellation aren't the same thing. By the end, 12 knows that.

We're constantly told This Is The Dark Doctor but he's no more dark than Chris Eccleston was. Just being old isn't enough to make him morally ambiguous, nor is a hamfisted monologue where victorian lizard woman talks about veils

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't think this episode was very good. Yaz has done nothing of note and they had a perfect situation to give her some stuff here yet didn't.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Now that I think about it, this is really exactly what I expected from a Chibnall season.

The episodes he's written to date have never risen above 'serviceable', and that's how these last two episodes have been. Not awful, certainly not good or great. Just kinda there. No risk-taking (beyond the laudable casting of the Doctor, that is)

Hard to say next week isn't some kind of risk taking though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Cybermen are from Mondas except when they aren't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I don't want episodes predicated on promoting future good stories though, that's how you ruin a show. Foreshadowing is not a substitute for good writing!