Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Colin looks ready to audition for Bon Jovi in that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If you're an actor in the UK, be smart and try to land a bit part in Doctor Who. You never know when you'll be able to cash that check in.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

We'll never get a secret new Doctor reveal ever. There's too much promotional value in it for them to let it just happen as part of a story without anyone knowing in advance. Which is a real shame.

I wonder if, now that they have written the regeneration limit out, they can afford to hire a guest star for a rapid-fire/one story regeneration or something along those lines.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
John Hurt's appearance was pretty public actually, but only a few people put two and two together based on the costume and realized he was an incarnation of the Doctor, IIRC. This was roughly when the finale of the series accidentally went out early and spoilers were trickling out (though they didn't spread much, mostly because the Doctor Who people were begging the internet not to spoil it).

Also, IIRC, one of the early spoilers was vague and there were two versions: one where the reveal was of John Hurt, the other where it was actually... David Tennant?

EDIT: Wow, I've done a terrible job at explaining it, so let's try to reword things (but keep the original message out of shame):

1) The finale went out early because of a mistake with Blu-Ray shipments. Some people watched it way before it was intended.

2) Some limited spoilers circulated, explaining how the episode was laid out and the reveal at the end, but they didn't really spread because the Doctor Who people begged the internet not to leak the ending.

3) It was therefore unclear whether the person that appeared at the end of the episode was John Hurt's character or David Tennant.

4) John Hurt had been publicly involved with the 50th special for a while, but so far the understanding was that he was playing an important role as a sort of side character. The fact that he was another Doctor was hiding in plain sight.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 19, 2018

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Sooner or later someone is gonna reuse the Valeyard. Maybe not Chibnall. Maybe not his successor. But someone will. Contradicting all of Big Finish's work on the character. Which is okay.

(But it's probably gonna be bad.)

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, the article seems to imply that production is shorter because now they can rely on what was built for the first Whittaker season, so I wouldn't be so pessimistic. That said, lol if there's another gap year so soon.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

She loved Rose. Liked the quirkiness, the humour, the mystery, the creepy autons, and now wants to plough on with the rest of that series. She's going to give the newest series a watch, see if it clicks, and in the down time between new episodes go back to the Ecclestone episodes.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who enjoys Rose. I get it, I get it, the autons are silly, and the humor is pretty broad, but overall I think it's a fantastic presentation of the character of the Doctor and a fun action-romp.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

That said, didn't he take a writer's room approach so while every episode might have an individual writer's name on it, there will be some uniformity to the episodes as everybody was pitching in, working on ideas, adding dialogue/coming up with alternate views on stuff?

Based on an interview, he employed a system that is sort of between the American writer's room and the British model. He didn't really divulge more details than that, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I feel like I'm the only person who watched Daleks in Manhatthan and didn't think "those are penises!"

Though it was a bad practical effect, yes.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Clara definitely had problems in season 7. There just didn't seem to be much to the character at that point, though Jenna-Louise Coleman still did a fantastic job with her.

I do think Clara in season 8 and 9 is a good character, not necessarily always likable, but certainly pretty interesting to follow around. Although I feel like a lot of decisions made on a creative level as to how to handle her exit from the show were... well... bad.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I love the crazy lighting in the Sontaran two-parter. If not in Doctor Who, then where?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not that I believe it, but I'd be curious as to who exactly they could grab as a showrunner after Chibnall. It doesn't feel like there's a successor lined up right now.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If RTD taught those writers that Doctor Who should be queerer and queerer, that can only mean good things, to be honest.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
We know. It's been discussed for a while, and frankly, considering we've kinda touched on every single Christmas theme, it's not a bad idea.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Someone got a scarf for Christmas, and she’s showing it off at her New Year bash.

This costume is queer culture.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

*the monkey's paw curls as RTD excitedly announces a new series of adventures featuring a young man and his paving stone girlfriend, fighting some particularly gassy Slitheen*

I'd unironically listen to that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Mameluke posted:

Is it anathema to suggest Jane Espenson get the job, even though she's American? She has decades of well-received genre work and already collaborated on Torchwood.

I always got the distinct impression that there would be riots if Doctor Who was handed to a creative team outside of the UK. Most of the flaws of the Doctor Who movies are attributed to the fact that american collaborators were involved, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU94xJteCdk