Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A year ago, the review thread got derailed by a PC fuckup. Did it ever catch up the rest of the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The sheer size of the crew in this episode didn’t allow much time for the Doctor to shine. The three recurring companions are fine but the spaceship people couldn’t hold my attention.

I haven’t talked about Doctor Who in a long time and I didn’t watch the last series until just this summer to catch up. I’ll just say Bill is just behind Donna in good companions and it’s amazing they made me eventually sad to see Capaldi go given that his first season was so awful.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DoctorWhat posted:

flies in the face of the messages of anticapitalist action that made Oxygen the best 45 minutes of Who that season.

But that made about as much sense as it did with WALL-E, because Doctor Who is a merchandising/marketing product. And that’s a good thing within reason, since it takes money in for the BBC Cthulhu that doesn’t have to be taken from license fees or force cheaper production.

Doctor Who doesn’t have to abstain from consumerism just because it did an episode wherein money was at the root of all evil. The fact that you could do an episode like that is a sign that for all the criticism the BBC still does do something other broadcasters don’t, because you’d get a lot more resistance getting that episode on ITV.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This episode wanted to be “The Beast Below” and couldn’t pull it off. The dilemma is hardly the same. Why is locking huge spiders in a bunker to die(?) okay but executing a supernormous nightmare Shelob a problem?

The “corporate malfeasance toxic mutation” aspect behind it all only added to the Resident Evil feel you get with spiders that can’t fit through doorways (and boy was that weakness exploited a lot). Blowing away a Resident Evil like spider boss aligns with my values. I’m a voter and I approve this message.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 29, 2018

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yes but it’s also Literally Giant Spiders, a fiction trope done to death in fantasy and horror and really genre fiction altogether. Giant loving Rats would be just as unappealing.

To put it another way, when Literally Giant Spiders achieved a higher level of intelligence and learned interstellar travel and also started abducting and eating humans, Ten and Donna had no problem burning the mother alive, drowning a gajillion babies, and blowing the gently caress out of their spaceship like a giant Christmas candle.

The Doctor’s occasionally vague “protect Earth” mission seems to waver on whether or not they protect humans as the top of the food chain. Really, the only things these spiders had going for them was being Earth-bound creatures themselves, though as unnaturally augmented they’re out of their ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

apophenium posted:

If my wife is terrified of spiders would she be able to watch this episode? I don't want to spoil myself, we like watching together. But she saw the title and was very wary.

As a phobic since the early 90s, this was creepier than past Doctor Who spiders, but not the most horrifying poo poo I’ve ever seen. I got through it by looking at my phone extensively. I think the worst thing is that one scene is patently designed to scare kids away from bathtubs.

I don’t know if video game parallels do anything for you, but I was reminded of older Resident Evil at a lot of points. That or the 3D Zelda games. I wasn’t as freaked out as Bloodborne or Limbo.