Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My wife is watching Holby City right now and holy poo poo Paul McGann is elevating this way more than it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I realised the other day that I'd used my last credit before cancelling my Audible subscription on the first set of 10th Doctor Adventures and finally got around to listening to them. It made me realise that while I think i was ready for Tennant to go and I loved Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi (and Jodie Whittaker was great so far and I'm sure she'll continue to be great) that good god I miss Tennant in the role. I'm looking forward to him doing Big Finish and multi doctor stories forever.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

howe_sam posted:

When I was rewatched season 4 it was shocking just how much RTD seemed to hate Donna, she got poo poo on more than any companion I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't think he hated her, he wouldn't have stuck that line in Last of the Time Lords about her being his best mate if he hated her.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

Shadow of the Scourge :colbert:

This is evil and you should both feel bad.

corn in the bible posted:

what are some good big finish 7th stories, mccoy is awesome

Some ones that I like:

Colditz - contains a guest starring pre-Doctor David Tennant as well as an interesting character that will go on to be a companion later
The Harvest - written by Dan Abnett, introduces a new companion, feels a bit New Adventures-y without the clag that generally goes along with that feel.
Live 34 - some nice format tomfoolery here, the whole thing is presented as a radio broadcast that the Doctor and companions appear in bits of
A Thousand Tiny Wings/Survival Of The Fittest/The Architects of History - an arc brings back the character I mentioned in Colditz as a companion. I really don't want to spoil anything about this arc as I think they're probably the most interesting companion that 7 has had and it's very much all about them.

Oh, almost forgot

UNIT: Dominion - if there's any chance you haven't had this one spoiled for you at this point it'd be a miracle but it's great even if you have. An excellent turn from Alex MacQueen too.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 11, 2018

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Flip-Flop" makes pretty clever use of the audio format but the story itself has Some Problems.

Jonny Morris is a decent dude and has written a lot of decent Who stuff but yeah, Flip Flop (and his first Big Finish, Bloodtide) are rough. Despite the fun with the format I'd skip it (and if you want a really good one by him I'd go with the 5th Doctor story Cobwebs).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's a very bland story. Especially as it's release was bracketed by Dust Breeding (which I very much enjoy) and Project: Twilight (which I can't really stand). And shortly after it you get Eye of the Scorpion and Colditz, so it's pretty easy to forget it even exists.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Twilight just because I like the idea of a vampire who really wants to be Ronnie Kray.

I don't mind the Forge in general, though it's a bit tiresome when they keep trying to get Nimrod over as this ultimate badass everyone's scared of.

Yeah, I dislike Twilight by association with Lazarus and Destiny. The initial ideas I'm kind of fine with but I don't know whether it's the writing, the actor or the direction that makes Nimrod terrible.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Like New York and the entire New England area, you have too many accents for how small you are.

On this topic, I feel it's worth pointing out that Jodie Whittaker's accent is from West Yorkshire. There's also a South Yorkshire accent which is VERY DIFFERENT.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How on earth is Alex Kingston 55, and where do I get my own supply of Artron Energy? Or do I actually have to go to the gym or something?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

You're still being too broad. Someone from Sheffield in South Yorkshire is going to sound different to someone from Doncaster 15 miles away. But at least neither sound like they're from Barnsley, thank god.

I'm a Lancashire born lad who grew up in the East Midlands, it's all unintelligable vowel sounds to me.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I was going to say we've had some diverse accents from the Doctor, but really that didn't kick in until 7. Since then though we've had Scottish, Liverpudlian, Lancastrian, two Doctors with Southern accents again, then Scottish and now West Yorkshire. We could do with a Welsh or Northern Irish Doctor next.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Well yeah, McGann is more RP than Scouse, but there's for sure bits of Liverpool that are in there. Tennant's is less RP than it is Estuary English, so slightly less posh than RP but still very much The South. He should have gone full Scottish with it though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

Imagine a Doctor with a Geordie accent.

“Why aye, Davros, yer Daleks are gettin proper radgie, like”

Stepping out the tardis onto Pluto wearing shorts and t-shirt

"It's a bit warm."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Bringing this thread's discussion full circle, Thirteen regenerates into Billie Piper but she's doing her questionable Belfast accent from Penny Dreadful. :v:

While I know that Belfast is technically what she was going for, I think it's very unfair to the people of Ulster to imply that they in any way sound like that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, like I mentioned earlier, the character was meant to be from Belfast (though it's very odd indeed that she's also supposed to a Catholic but mentions growing up on the Shankill), but she got her tips for the accent from her friend Nadine Coyle of Girls Aloud... who is from Londonderry. :v:

Edit: Also, we sound much worse.

I've only been a couple of times but I've never found the accent as harsh as it's made out to be on TV. I mean yeah, there's some people that are at the extreme end but the majority of people were fine. Barely any Jim McDonalds to speak of. So it is.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Although the 1st Doctor casually beating the poo poo out of that assassin in The Romans, giggling the entire time, was certainly pretty great.

And the 1st Doctor very nearly beating an unaware caveman's head in with a rock.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

Faction Paradox is a spin-off of Doctor Who, originating in the novel Alien Bodies.
http://factionparadox.wikia.com/wiki/Faction_Paradox_Wiki
Uh what. There is this fandom for a, from my perspective, obscure spin off series from a DW novel?! What is this and how has it eluded me?!

Because Lawrence Miles decide to build his OWN sci-fi series! With blackjack! And hookers!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Imagine being the Daleks. You've fought some mind-bending insane time war with a bunch of old assholes who have been running poo poo in the universe for 10 million years and you're WINNING, and it's down to the final moments and you've loving won forever and it's over and ultimate victory is finally yours.... and then all 12* Doctors show up and you just KNOW that they're gonna pull some bullshit :xd:

* No sir.....

There's a lot of things that Moffat gets flak for, and a lot of it that is probably deserved, but I'm really glad he was in the chair for the 50th anniversary.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Organza Quiz posted:

And also the concept of the Matrix (the Gallifreyan one, not the movies).

Didn't they call out the thing Missy had as being a Matrix fragment or something?

The_Doctor posted:

Which is all very similar to the concept of The City of the Saved from Lawrence Miles' Faction Paradox series.

"Maybe Lawrence Miles had a point" is not a thought I expected to have at any point.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Might have to rewatch Sylvester's whole run again now. Wonder if I can make it all the way through Time and the Rani without yelling "OH gently caress OFF" and skipping on to Paradise Towers this time.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey.... this is the Doctor!" in that pitch-perfect Hartnell voice never fails to get to me. :swoon:

There were so many bits of that that made me happy, although I think "...and for my next trick!" was pretty great. I do wish Eccleston had done at least a cameo.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Listening to Jubilee and goddamn it's so loving good

Martin Jarvis and Rosalind Ayres are brilliant in it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really wish they hadn't revealed the next doctor before that scene. Imagine if you didn't know who he was gonna be and them BAM Malcolm tucker's flying a TARDIS. I'd have lost my poo poo completely

We'll never get a secret new Doctor reveal ever. There's too much promotional value in it for them to let it just happen as part of a story without anyone knowing in advance. Which is a real shame.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wonder if, now that they have written the regeneration limit out, they can afford to hire a guest star for a rapid-fire/one story regeneration or something along those lines.

They could have done that at any time anyway though. I mean, we didn't know that dildodoctor counted until Moffat told us he did in Smith's last story, and we didn't know about War until the 50th. Basically the only point at which it would have been narratively a problem to have a single story Doctor was in the middle of Smiths' final story.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I had a dream about that once. In it, I was going through a book about the history of the show, and it mentioned all these lesser known, one-story-only Doctors that were between the main ones. Like between Pertwee and Tom you had Eric Morecambe.

"He won't exterminate many Thals going that speed."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm pretty sure the Moffat version would be riddled with "needless to say, I had the last laugh" type anecdotes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Dreamt that they cast Craig Ferguson as the next Doctor after Jodie and man, that would be the best.

He'd give it a good go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLT-955k3yc

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pictured: the Seventh Doctor, his travelling companion Dave and the Master in a scene from season 27:

Man, I miss the old Drive Room.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I have very complicated feelings about the DW budget.

It shouldn't be starved out the way Moffat claims it has been, but it also should not be a commercial product. It's public television and the whole "slut it up", "big money-maker" attitude flies in the face of the messages of anticapitalist action that made Oxygen the best 45 minutes of Who that season.

It's kind of swings and roundabouts - on the one hand, the show makes money and should get a decent budget as a result, but on the other hand budget restrictions make the production team get creative and you get things like Midnight, Blink, Turn Left (yeah, ok, and Love and Monsters). There's a balance to be had in there somewhere, but god knows where it lands.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

And honestly, we just had a budget-light episode that was stronger for it; the only part of Rosa that looked all that expensive was Krasko's gun, which got very little play.

Was it budget-light? I always assume that any period piece gets expensive pretty quickly if you want it to look right.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who enjoys Rose. I get it, I get it, the autons are silly, and the humor is pretty broad, but overall I think it's a fantastic presentation of the character of the Doctor and a fun action-romp.

Even if the rest of it was poo poo (which it isn't), it'd be worth it for Eccleston's first scene ("Hi Rose, I'm the Doctor." <waggles explosives> "Run for your life!") and for his "That's who I am" speech. I would have watched new Who even if it had been shite, but those two bits alone reassured me that it was in the right hands.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

Eccleston did an amazing job, in that his doctor was a totally new interpretation of the character while remaining instantly recognisable, which I don't think the other nuwho docs have managed. Tennant was definitely his own panto thing, but he never felt very Doctor-y to me, and while I absolutely love Matt Smith's performance, it's very very Troughton inflected. Ditto Capaldi with pretty much every classic doctor.

Too early to tell with Whittaker, although as I've said before, she's a little too Ten so far.

I think it's fair to say (as Tom Baker once did) that the Doctor isn't really an "acting" part, so as long as the person in the role brings a decent chunk of themselves along it's going to work out ok. And Capaldi is a bit of an odd one as he arguably took it in a different direction each series.

I would have agreed with you about Tennant up until listening to the first batch of Big Finish audios with him and Catherine Tate, because it was an absolute joy to hear him back at it again and it totally felt Doctor-y to me. I think it's the episodes full of melodrama that made me go a bit cold on him, but when he's doing silly Doctor stuff he's great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I had to giggle at the idea that Robertson was only running because he hates Trump. It was slightly more subtle than having Noth hold up a big sign saying "I AM A BIT LIKE TRUMP BUT NOT HIM REALLY"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

Honestly, I've half expected them doing something with the now filled-in "hole in the road" in sheffield. I'm old enough to remember this being under a major roundabout in the city, and Chibnall is missing a trick if it isn't the secret entrance to UNIT HQ or Torchwood: Sheffield or something.

Oh, we had one of those in Nottingham!

All filled in now and has been for years, but it still weirds me out a bit that I frequently drive over a long buried newsagents kiosk.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You'd think they'd have let him leave before they filled it in.

The fury of a civil engineer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I've been rewatching the Davies years, and one thing Moffat was good at (when he was good) was structure. His episodes tend to have bookends and repeating phrases that come back with new, sometimes horrible meaning. Sometimes, though, his characters felt like props as vehicles to tell that story.

I think Chibnalls is better with character. It feels like he'd rather spend a little quiet time with real conversation at, sometimes, the expense of a good punctuation mark at the end of a story.

I think the former has more dramatic payoff when it works, but the latter makes for more even writing, and let's the companions grow into people we like more naturally.

Yeah, Moffat was really good at plot and resolution. I'm enjoying this series so far but there's an awful lot of stuff petering out at the end.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oliver Cromwell would be an enjoyable historical figure for the TARDIS team to meet.

Given how they approached Churchill I'd be ok with them not going anywhere near Cromwell.

Edit: also, I think they met him in one of the audios, specifically in Ireland, but it's one of the ones I've never heard.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Barry Foster posted:

They did. IIRC it wasn't actually too bad. It was a Seventh/Ace/Hex one (which was a great TARDIS team with a mostly great run of episodes)

Ace/Hex was a good combo for Seven. I think The Harvest is still one of my favourite Big Finish stories.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I will be interested in seeing how Moffat and Gatiss's "Sherlock-style" Dracula show turns out. :v:

Probably about as well as loving Jekyl did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

McDragon posted:

A Christmas episode this year would reveal that Meadowhall does indeed house the gateway to hell in December

I will always appreciate the fact that he now plays an evil doctor in Holby City. I dunno what he did exactly but he's a big rotter on there

I believe his character gave someone brain damage in order to stop them disrupting his research. He'd make a decent Who antagonist.