Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In on the ground floor, can't wait for the new season. My wife lost interest during the Capaldi years ("Is Steven Moffat depressed or something?"), but she's all in for the new direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Has this episode of Graham Norton aired yet? Or is this just a tease for it?

edit: It has. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0blqj2g/the-graham-norton-show-series-24-episode-1

I just need to find a stream available in the US.

edit edit: Found one. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ufa31

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 1, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Unfortunately, almost none of that Graham Norton episode was about Jodie Whitaker. Basically, the clip posted earlier was the best part.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Astroman posted:

Also Americans don't forget, it will be simulcast in the afternoon on

so we can all livepost internationally!

Do we know if that will be true every week? Or just for the premiere?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

The theme with a trailer for this season's guest stars:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1049019070576779264

Wait, Chris Noth? They get an actual American to (I'm assuming) play an American and not just get some to use a terrible American accent? I'm shocked.

I wonder if it will take place in D.C., New York, or the dessert, where all American episodes take place.

edit: Oh, and the episode was great. Feels like a whole new show. Can't wait for more.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 8, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

HD DAD posted:

I want the Doctor to try and go to Disney World, but gets stuck trying to track down meth addicts in a run down Orlando suburb.

As an Orlando resident...accurate. Also, I want this as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Loved the episode, loved Jodie, loved the new opening, loved the new Tardis, loved everything. So excited for this season.

New Tardis interior reminds me of 9 and 10's, if darker. More organic, both built and grown.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Soothing Vapors posted:

It's weird that it happened twice during Twelve's short tenure though. Moffat really did need a break

As hbomberguy pointed out in a video at the beginning of the year (which I just discovered), reusing ideas was kind of Moffat's thing. Like how the archive glass lady thing from his Christmas special (which stores the memories of people before they die) is basically the same thing as iCloud Heaven from the end of Capaldi's first season. Which itself is extremely similar to the computer system in Silence in the Library "saving" people into a computer system.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Is that "Timeless Child" bit referring to something I'm missing? Or are we not supposed to know yet?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CommonShore posted:

gently caress I love that scene every time I watch it.

That scene is one of my favorite things I've ever seen on television. Every once in a while I look it up again just to smile about it again. (I also do this sometimes with 10 saving River in the library. "I'm VERY GOOD!")

I got into Doctor Who because the buildup to the 50th anniversary was this crazy media event thing that had people I knew super excited, and I loved the idea of a show that would just go for it like that. A super deep lore that it could dip into and have fun with. So I watched Matt Smith's first season, and then the 50th (because it aired right when I finished that season) and I was hooked. In hindsight, I spoiled myself, because I maintain that's the best stuff the show has ever had to offer. But I don't even care. It was pure euphoria.

Astroman posted:

I usually read spoilers and I'm pretty sure McGann was a shock to me.

I remember McGann being a shock to everyone. A movie/TV news site I go on posted the video and he was losing his mind about it, while being very careful to not say WHY he was losing his mind over it. They kept that one under wraps.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 19, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

"It was then that I wondered, 'What if Charlotte was right, and Big was behind the giant spiders?' Could I ever go back to him knowing that?"

Yeah, when thinking of who I would expect to guest star on Doctor Who, Chris Noth probably wouldn't even be on the list. It's a weird one, for sure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chiming in late, but god drat did I love that episode. That was really something. If there were any justice in this world, Bradley Walsh would win an Emmy for his scene where he talked about trying to be a good man. But that's not really the world we live in, so...

I also know next to nothing about the Partition, being an uneducated American, so this episode, and reading up on it after watching this, has been pretty gut wrenching. Which is exactly what this episode should do to me.

drat, this was a good episode.

So in the preview for next week, I saw Lee Mack for a moment there! Which is awesome.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I thought Chib had already said there would be no returning villains this season.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SiKboy posted:

It wasnt all the bubblewrap, just the packages which were being held back. If it was in ones or twos word would get out quickly and no one would accept their kerblam delivery, but if all the contaminated packages were sent out at the same time, via teleportation, then loads of people would be killed instead of just a few.

What was with the final shot being all, "Oooooh, scary bubble wrap can blow up!" when it was just the original package?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

I think that was just a "You might just be scared of this average thing now, kids, because of Doctor Who!" moment a la the ending to Blink.

If so, it didn't really work for me at all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lunatic Sledge posted:

okay so the system can send one (1) robot man in to try and choke out Charlie while the rest of the gang is present to defend him, why couldn't it do that when Charlie was by himself, maybe even like... sending way more robots to do it. System clearly has no issue murdering somebody, just kill Charlie the second he's busy unclogging a shitter somewhere

That's...hey, yeah, why didn't the system just kill Charlie?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

CommonShore posted:

I think it's tied for me between this and The Demons. I like them for different reasons, and there's basically no overlap in what appeals to me about them.

I know we shouldn't empty quote, so I'll just say :same:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Davros1 posted:

Let's move away from this and into something fun:

https://twitter.com/haruspis/status/1074457555303309312

I have a question I've been afraid to ask for years...who is Ian Levine, and why does he keep coming up in the Doctor Who world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Seems like a real winner, thanks everyone!