Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I had a weird flashback to The Keys of Marinus with this episode, including a deadly lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o558CLSNI4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I just didn't feel like Jacket Man was as threatening or as sinister as, say, the regular people in the episode (who were accurately portrayed as vile pieces of poo poo)

Technically, that's correct as written. No matter how racist he is, he can't hurt anyone. The "wholesome white folk" not only could do so, their society encouraged it.

What makes him so dangerous isn't his ability to threaten harm, it's his knowledge of the events to occur and how he only needs to tip things slightly to get what he wants.

Richard Spencer or Steven Miller aren't particularly threatening in person, but they are dangerous for what they can encourage.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Who fandom is large enough that opinions will probably always vary on any individual run of episodes in the show's history.

That said, I'm loving this season. It's not perfect, which I'm happy to talk about, but as someone who also watched classic Who on late night PBS in-between pledge drives, this feels a lot closer to the old-school than at any point in the revival.

I think at various points in the revival, "a plot" came to mean a big ending that either involved a million million somethings exploding, the end of a civilization's status quo, or the reveal of an overly complex puzzle box. Chibnall's not great at solid endings, definitely, but I've been far more underwhelmed by the resolution to Impossible Astronaut, A Good Man Goes to War, and especially, especially Hell Bent. Of course, in the classic series, a lot of the "plot" was just people running from point A to B to C and then back to A.

To me, the character interactions are a breath of fresh air, and I'd rather have my [One, Susan, Barbara & Ian] [Two, Jamie & Zoe] [...] [Thirteen, Graham, Ryan & Yaz] in the forefront.

As for those characters, Yaz and Ryan are far more complete characters after 5 episodes than Clara was after 3 full seasons and several specials.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

I would chuckle if the reason we weren't given a Tardis bookend in the Tsuranga Conundrum is that the teleport goes wrong and strands the team in the next episode.

Kind of like the "transmat arc" that took up most of Tom Baker's first season. But, no, probably just a production issue.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

McDragon posted:

Also Legends of Tomorrow is the best.

CW's Legends of Tomorrow became decent the moment the writers realized how stupid it was to take their first season seriously in which they had to find serious reasons for their team to act dumb. Once they accepted this and deliberately wrote the show as being about a timeship of losers who know they're losers, it started to become something magical.

Torchwood had the same problem, and almost from the beginning, I argued that it worked best to think of Torchwood 3 (Cardiff) as the department no one took seriously at Torchwood 1 (Canary Wharf). The setup even unintentionally played into this with Torchwood 3's original sole responsibility being storage for alien objects, property of late members, and temporary holding cells for alien criminals.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

(and the jab that bascially UNIT was disbanded due to Brexit)

That plus the DW version of Trump trying to get out of it just like NATO and every other international treaty.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there actually currently a dalek fleet to respond to the call?

There is, but it's going to take 131 years to arrive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cOZzxKqkjM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

I love the new vortex effect because I imagine every light wizzing by as a single event in time they can fall into at any moment.