Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

It’s fine to address a group as guys when you are speaking to the liberal party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Way to poo poo up a new thread guys.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Can someone explain to me why there is still the perception that the ALP is playing small target politics?

Because the media think that's "balance"? The "small target" has been a media narrative way after it was abandoned as a tactic. Whether it's real or not doesn't matter, its an excuse to dismiss the opposition when the media can't be bothered doing their jobs. ALP internal politics bore them shitless, I have to read bloggers to figure out if anything important is going on.

Similarly, if/when the coalition become the opposition, they'll be dismissed with a narrative of 'chaos'.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/02/labor-to-force-companies-to-compare-ceos-pay-with-that-of-median-worker

I know they feel they can't go harder on this because murdoch will release the LABOR DESTROYING JOBS / POLITICS OF ENVY hounds (which they will loving do anyway) but seriously what the gently caress is this supposed to achieve as is.

"If you have a need and can explain that to investors, you'll be fine"

"Hi I've increased your dividends again by making the guys in the warehouse fight to the death over who gets to eat lunch that day, and my personal golf course needs the irrigation systems completely redone, give me millions of dollars please"

*approved*

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Can someone explain to me why there is still the perception that the ALP is playing small target politics?

Because they are? Can you give any examples of things the ALP has pledged to do that rock the boat at all? All they do is watch the LNP implode and go "hey look at this guy lmao" while consistently voting with them on most major policies, and offering nothing different in return.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

aejix posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/02/labor-to-force-companies-to-compare-ceos-pay-with-that-of-median-worker

I know they feel they can't go harder on this because murdoch will release the LABOR DESTROYING JOBS / POLITICS OF ENVY hounds (which they will loving do anyway) but seriously what the gently caress is this supposed to achieve as is.

"If you have a need and can explain that to investors, you'll be fine"

"Hi I've increased your dividends again by making the guys in the warehouse fight to the death over who gets to eat lunch that day, and my personal golf course needs the irrigation systems completely redone, give me millions of dollars please"

*approved*

This is pathetic. Oh we'll make the top 250 companies self report and then we'll ask them really nicely why their ratio is off and then nothing will happen. It should be mandatory for all publicly listed companies to publish data on their salaries

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

bell jar posted:

This is pathetic. Oh we'll make the top 250 companies self report and then we'll ask them really nicely why their ratio is off and then nothing will happen. It should be mandatory for all publicly listed companies to publish data on their salaries

Like this won’t result in CEOs aiming for sick kda ratios.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I would say Labor is more than small target given they have more policies than the government at the moment. Scomo doesn't even have an energy policy. Only action he's taken is to create drought squad and eat strawberries.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

scomo will pray and sing and dance skyclad on the parliament house lawn until the clouds give forth in abundance. hallelujah!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

Because they are? Can you give any examples of things the ALP has pledged to do that rock the boat at all? All they do is watch the LNP implode and go "hey look at this guy lmao" while consistently voting with them on most major policies, and offering nothing different in return.

Franking tax credits hth

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

avshalemon posted:

scomo will pray and sing and dance skyclad on the parliament house lawn until the clouds give forth in abundance. hallelujah!

No he can't, there's fences stopping that these days.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Franking tax credits hth

:shrug: I hadn't heard about this, and had a look into this here. It's not something you see Labor get attacked about, and something I doubt most people have even heard of.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Incrementalism is small target politics

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bell jar posted:

:shrug: I hadn't heard about this, and had a look into this here. It's not something you see Labor get attacked about, and something I doubt most people have even heard of.

Is this a bit

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bell jar posted:

The royal commission into banking? All the infrastructure spending? Tax reform?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

Not explicitly condemning Sally McManus and her industrial reform campaign is fairly radical for this media environment.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

Not explicitly condemning Sally McManus and her industrial reform campaign is fairly radical for this media environment.

They can't do it because their backers in unions are supporting the campaign heavily. They probably won't actually sign on or action anything about it or maybe more likely they'll do the most low effort lovely version that doesn't do anything.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's going to be fun watching both major political parties self destruct by ignoring the priorities of their larger support bases and the Greens still not being able to get a second MHR.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Keen for Bill Shorten to announce industry level bargaining during his victory speech while a dubstep remix of WE'RE COMING BACK plays in the background.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

If the Govt hadn't actually held the RC into banking, Labor definitely could have carried that to an election, but if you remember, the only reason the Govt held one was because of overwhelming public support and George Christensen threatening to cross the floor. Turnbull knew he didn't have the numbers so he capitulated as usual. Infrastructure spending is par for the course, and the only tax reform policy I've seen from Shorten is "we'll reverse the changes that the LNP put in place".

It's all bullshit, the ALP aren't sticking their neck out for this election, they're going to just cling to their common sense centrist incrementalism and wait for the LNP to gently caress themselves and Steven Bradbury their way into power.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah but even the lowest effort ALP agenda is still miles better than the LNPs agenda at all effort levels.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If there has to be some to and fro, they at the very least need to implement industry bargaining for smaller sectors that work disparately and enable some kind of mandatory whole of workforce bargains for large companies to stop them just shutting down warehouses and stuff when they want to reset the wages to minimum.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Chambersgc/status/1046902052184457217
cool.....

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Yeah but even the lowest effort ALP agenda is still miles better than the LNPs agenda at all effort levels.

For sure, agreed. But saying they aren't playing small target politics is just dumb

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Heard this morning (ABC 24) that despite protests from the left-wing of the Labor party, Shorten will not break up the mega department Dutton founded.

Not really surprising

e: got beat

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean I wouldn't go to an election with a massive national security target painted on my head either.

Get elected, get some points on the board, THEN start dismantling the surveillance state.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Duh. They voted in support of its formation so they'd get control of it when they're back in government.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Don Dongington posted:

I mean I wouldn't go to an election with a massive national security target painted on my head either.

Get elected, get some points on the board, THEN start dismantling the surveillance state.

lol theyre never gonna dismantle it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bell jar posted:

It was front page news in a bunch of newspapers, talkback radio hated it, and Labor definitely got attacked about it.

quote:

If the Govt hadn't actually held the RC into banking, Labor definitely could have carried that to an election, but if you remember, the only reason the Govt held one was because of overwhelming public support and George Christensen threatening to cross the floor. Turnbull knew he didn't have the numbers so he capitulated as usual.
It's not small target politics when you push the government to capitulate on a policy. Labor can campaign on having fought for the RC and that they can be trusted to actually do something in response to it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's small target politics maintaining the status quo with minor tweaks. A bit of tax reform here, a bit of spending there, getting behind massively popular policies and avoiding the unpopular ones.

You know what's not small target politics? Welfare overhauls giving everyone a fairer go and actually raising the rates of things like Newstart and Austudy to comfortable, affordable levels. Lowering the work week from 38 hours to 34, and lowering the retirement age. Giving greater rights to casuals and the underemployed. Bringing asylum seekers onshore and treating them humanely. Disrupting the people smuggling business by offering subsidised airfares for people who want to apply for asylum from Indonesia. Proposing to start the process of becoming a republic. Providing more services on Medicare. Giving doctors greater incentives to bulk bill. Universal Basic Income trials. The list goes on.

Don't be satisfied from picking up the scraps of policy from Labor when it's clear that they don't actually have a stance on anything that would significantly differentiate themselves from the Government du jour

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Prominent broadcaster dies.

Alas not Alan Jones, John Laws or Ray Hadley. You have to be of advancing age to remember this particular poo poo stain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Casey_(Sydney_broadcaster) That he lived so long and didn't die painfully of bowel cancer in a fire shows there is no justice in the world. Add to your list of graves to piss on.

Don Dongington posted:

Nthing folks as a useful substitute for 'guys'

Sorry that offends your fragile sensibilities Auspol, but I'm just not ready to walk into a room and say 'HEELO FELLOW HUMANS'
people
friends
<leave it out>

Just some of the many choice that aren't nearly as stupid as Don Dongington

The Peccadillo posted:

Is Hambeet a clown who sucks?
Use of sucks is deeply problematic. Try:

Is Hambeet a clown who just isn't funny?
Is Hambeet a clown who is complete poo poo?
Is Hambeet a clown who needs lessons?
Is Hambeet a clown who works in a circus?
<endless list of hambeet insults>

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Feeling targeted here.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hambeet posted:

Feeling targeted here.

Try and be smaller

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CASUAL workers now have the right to ask their bosses for changes to their employment, thanks to new rules that started on Monday.

quote:

CASUAL workers now have the right to ask their bosses for a permanent position if they have worked regular hours for at least one year.

The Fair Work Commission released a ruling last year that an employee who worked an average of 38 hours for at least 12 months could ask for their position to be converted to a permanent full-time job.

Those who worked less than 38 hours can ask to be a part-time employee if they work a “pattern of hours”, according to the ruling that took effect on October 1.

The workers have to put the request in writing to their boss, who can still refuse it but only if there are “reasonable grounds” and after they have discussed this with the staff member.

This could include that the position would likely not exist within the next 12 months or if the hours of work would likely drop. They can also refuse if the days or times the employee is expected to work is expected to change.

Becoming a permanent member of staff would give staff access to paid sick leave and paid annual leave. It also guarantees them a certain number of working hours and pay. At the moment casual employees can have their shifts cut at the last minute.

The change comes as casual retail workers also have their penalty rates increased on Saturdays and weeknights, ahead of the busy Christmas period.

The full bench of the Fair Work Commission, headed by Justice Iain Ross, ruled the Saturday penalty rate for retail casuals should be increased from 10 per cent to 25 per cent.

Casuals starting work after 6pm on weekdays will be brought into line with permanent retail employees, who get a 25 per cent loading on those shifts.

“In our view, the current casual rates for Monday to Friday evening work and Saturday work lack logic and merit,” the decision said.

Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association national secretary Gerard Dwyer said the changes would benefit more than 350,000 workers covered by the award.

“These measures go some way to addressing the unjust treatment of casual workers under the award who are not properly compensated for the absence of sick pay, annual leave and the insecurity of work,” Mr Dwyer said.

The new rates are set to come into place from November 1.

Retailers are fuming over the “disastrous” decision, expressing grave concern for the industry ahead of Christmas trading.

“Retailers usually thrive during the Christmas period. However, this year I’m concerned many retailers will bear the brunt of an unjust and detrimental decision,” Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman said.

“Casual staff are the lifeblood of the retail industry and instead of seeing our retailers shine this Christmas, we will see them undertake more pressure and have to make serious decisions about their Christmas trade.”

The penalty rate increase comes after the commission last year cut retail casuals’ Sunday rates, with those changes to be phased in by July next year.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/decisionssigned/html/2018fwcfb4695.htm

Thanks Labor!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

While the Liberals are in power I can see "reasonable grounds" being "don't wanna"

Good to see, though. This needs an education piece, though. Younger workers especially need to be informed of this as they're probably the most exploited.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bell jar posted:

quote:

Retailers are fuming over the “disastrous” decision, expressing grave concern for the industry ahead of Christmas trading.

“Retailers usually thrive during the Christmas period. However, this year I’m concerned many retailers will bear the brunt of an unjust and detrimental decision,” Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman said.

Man they're not even trying to pretend that they give a gently caress about anything but raw profits anymore, are they.

WHO THE gently caress DO YOU THINK BUYS MOST OF YOUR poo poo, YOU PATHETIC FUCKWEASELS.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
That kind of implies you were not allowed to ask to go permanent before this?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who employs a Christmas casual for twelve months?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

Feeling targeted here.
Just being agile in the cheap shot marketplace.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Try and be smaller

*Crawls back into a bottle*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Won't they just stop giving work to casuals who've been there eleven months?

• Locked thread