Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

Who employs a Christmas casual for twelve months?

I started working at BCF as a Christmas casual and stayed on for more than a year. I believe the idea was that if you could survive a Christmas rush, the rest of the year was easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Zenithe posted:

That kind of implies you were not allowed to ask to go permanent before this?

The change is the "reasonable grounds" thing, not the asking.

bell jar posted:

Lowering the work week from 38 hours to 34,

Or at least getting rid of the "reasonable overtime" loophole. My entire industry mandates 40 hours of billable time - and "patterns in the industry" is one of the tests for it being reasonable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I started working at BCF as a Christmas casual and stayed on for more than a year. I believe the idea was that if you could survive a Christmas rush, the rest of the year was easy.

That isn't the retailers complaint. They mention Christmas casuals. If you are at work in Jan, you're no longer a Christmas casual. It is not Christmas.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

Won't they just stop giving work to casuals who've been there eleven months?

Well the next step is allowing casual staff access to wrongful dismissal clauses. Oddly, considering how stacked the FWC has been since Abbott won power, and the recent decisions around terminating EBAs and various other employer-friendly rulings, they seem to be moving in that direction.

Honestly, if you can't demonstrate good reason for terminating or reducing a casual's hours to zero while the workload remains (aka spill and fill), there's no real justification to not have some sort of protection there. If employers insist on making everyone casual, then we have to change what that means for the humans who are trying to survive under those conditions.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Well the next step is allowing casual staff access to wrongful dismissal clauses. Oddly, considering how stacked the FWC has been since Abbott won power, and the recent decisions around terminating EBAs and various other employer-friendly rulings, they seem to be moving in that direction.

Honestly, if you can't demonstrate good reason for terminating or reducing a casual's hours to zero while the workload remains (aka spill and fill), there's no real justification to not have some sort of protection there. If employers insist on making everyone casual, then we have to change what that means for the humans who are trying to survive under those conditions.

There are already loads of agreements that mandate casual conversion at set times or percentage of workforce. If you shitcan people at 11 months to avoid that responsibility you will end up in fair work. It should be the same here, but it's going to be a lot of poorly informed/represented people rather than organised workforces with EBAs, so I can't imagine there will be many cases but you never know.

e: not that it matters that much anyway, you just ring Toll People and get them to send you casuals that you will never have any responsibility to.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 2, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

There are already loads of agreements that mandate casual conversion at set times or percentage of workforce. If you shitcan people at 11 months to avoid that responsibility you will end up in fair work. It should be the same here, but it's going to be a lot of poorly informed/represented people rather than organised workforces with EBAs, so I can't imagine there will be many cases but you never know.

That's true, but I'm going to assume they're less common in the retail sector, where the SDA has been the sole representative for workers for time immemorial.

I expect this may start changing under the right conditions - say RAFFWU taking a larger role in bargaining, Sally McManus' ACTU leadership, and a potential reworking or replacement of the FWA to allow unions to bargain from a stronger position.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Here's how it works:

Casual employee has worked in a role for 12 months for consistent hours, and feels justified in being brought on permanently, either in a part-time (according to their shift pattern) or full-time role.
Casual employee brings this up to their boss.
The boss refuses, citing reasons that don't apply to the employee's situation
If the employee has the time, and the money, they apply to FWC to have the situation resolved
FWC either rules for or against the employee depending on the time of day/weather outside
The employee is quietly let go weeks afterwards

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Here's how it works:

Casual employee has worked in a role for 12 months for consistent hours, and feels justified in being brought on permanently, either in a part-time (according to their shift pattern) or full-time role.
Casual employee brings this up to their boss.
The boss refuses, citing reasons that don't apply to the employee's situation
If the employee has the time, and the money, they apply to FWC to have the situation resolved
FWC either rules for or against the employee depending on the time of day/weather outside
The employee is quietly let go weeks afterwards

FWC wouldn't arbitrate on this unless the employer agrees to arbitration. It would be mediated with no ruling.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Regardless of the actual mechanisms of FWC, the employee still ends up without a job at all, 100% of the time. It should be automatic and mandatory, not a "please mister boss may i have stable shifts and sick leave sir, may i??"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Correct, was just saying it's even worse.

Like you need to go through heaps of mediation before a medical panel will convene to assess a rejected work cover claim. It's hosed.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

yeah they're trying to draw a really long bow here, maybe their regular casual staff will all suddenly ask for permanency just before Christmas, thus ruining Christmas somehow?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Coles and Woolies staff can't ask for leave around Xmas anyway coz the SDA sold them out, idk why Colesworths are complaining.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think the Christmas retail spending capitalist meltdown was due to the penalty rates for saturday and weeknights after 6pm going from 10% to 25%, not the full time conversion bit. Most stores do 2-4 weeks of 9am-9pm leading up to christmas.

Which is still hilariously stupid, mind.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Laserface posted:

I think the Christmas retail spending capitalist meltdown was due to the penalty rates for saturday and weeknights after 6pm going from 10% to 25%, not the full time conversion bit. Most stores do 2-4 weeks of 9am-9pm leading up to christmas.

our profits will be slightly less gargantuan :cry:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

froglet posted:

Coles and Woolies staff can't ask for leave around Xmas anyway coz the SDA sold them out, idk why Colesworths are complaining.

Speaking of which, if you know anyone who works for Coles, they have recently been making a push for permanent staff to go casual to make it easier to downsize soon after they demerge from Wesfarmers.

You should never go casual anyway, but if you know anyone in this situation then get on them to not take it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:eyepop:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Small target shortens gonna lose, again. They'll say it's not his fault, turnbull Morrison was new face people weren't yet sick of like abbott turnbull but shorten will get it next time and we'll never be rid of him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Laserface posted:

Does the "weekdays after 6" count for all hours after 6, or just those shifts which start after 6?

I got hosed over by that sort of bullshit when I was a kid. Most likely it was the boss lying to the staff and wage stealing.

But I stole so much poo poo from that job I'm pretty sure I came out ahead.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Be honest here, how many of you think Scott Morrison will win the next election.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Anidav posted:

Be honest here, how many of you think Scott Morrison will win the next election.

I am convinced he won’t win, which is also what I thought about Abbott, Brexit and Trump. I also thought Bush was grandstanding in Iraq and wouldn’t go in when Afghanistan was turning into such a quagmire, so I think I’m finally coming to terms with frequently confusing the improbable for the impossible.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

I think he has about a 55% shot at it. Barring any further serious infighting or policy fuckups, they might sail clear through to May

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Anidav posted:

I don’t.

But I was reminded of how I’m in my own lefty bubble this morning at work when some dickhead (member of the public, not a co-worker) used the term “little abo kids” and I was literally speechless.

So gently caress knows.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

When the overwhelming reaction to Scomo becoming PM was "Who?", I figured he has a decent shot. The lib voters will probably cool down enough before the election to not protest vote.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's amazing how much the Liberal Party can get away with regarding leadership turmoil in comparison to Labor.

I wonder why.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

hi

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dude McAwesome posted:

I don’t.

But I was reminded of how I’m in my own lefty bubble this morning at work when some dickhead (member of the public, not a co-worker) used the term “little abo kids” and I was literally speechless.

So gently caress knows.

I don't know how anyone can crawl far enough into the bubble to forget that Australians are by and large racist, selfish people.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

drat you guys love guessing the worst timeline will continue.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

i haven't been proven wrong yet

unfortunately

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

SCOMO will be +20 on popularity in January because he's extremely similar to Australian political folk hero John Howard.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hambeet posted:

*Crawls back into a bottle*

Sucks to be you, guy.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

SCOMO will be +20 on popularity in January because he's extremely similar to Australian political folk hero John Howard.

He'll start power walking around Darling Harbour to re-enforce the image.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

He does nothing but talk about sports. This will appeal directly to braindead swing voters

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This will aid Morrison

CHANNEL 9 has swung the axe on the NRL Footy Show.

Nine has confirmed an initial report inThe Daily Telegraph that network executives have decided the concept will not return in any format in 2019.

CULTURE WARS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Always knew Father Christmas was pulling a big tax dodge

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

JBP posted:

I don't know how anyone can crawl far enough into the bubble to forget that Australians are by and large racist, selfish people.

Don’t forget to add sexist to those qualities!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Colour me the colour I already am (filthy pale) learning that Andy “George Pell’s victims are liars” Bolt is laying into Brett Kavanaugh’s accusers.

It’s no news he’s a disgusting gently caress but what a disgusting gently caress.

edit: the comments on his blog. swine. loving swine people.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 2, 2018

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Always knew Father Christmas was pulling a big tax dodge

All those imports he brings into Australia from the North Pole and doesn't pay a cent of GST on them :bahgawd:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The motherfucking goddamned radio just reminded me the department of home affairs has only existed since December jesus loving christ it feels like arch chancellor Dutton has been head of the secret police for 3 years. A 10 month old monstrosity headed by possibly the worst person in Australia given to him by Turnbull, desperate save his own rear end, and it's already untouchable.

Shorten already says he's gonna be bipartisan on security matters which means the liberals are going to control all policy.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shorten also says he'll abide expert advice which I would love somebody to convince me aren't all psychos either appointed by or fellow travelers of Dutton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Bill Shorten policy promise to you - we've had Change, but have you tried I Can't Believe it's Not Change?

• Locked thread