Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

snoremac posted:

I disagree with this Americanisation of Auspol thread.

agreed, everyone please stop saying 'folks' immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

when i see people saying it online i assume it's because their brains have been poisoned by american liberal idpol discourse

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

:sludgepal:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Folks' is a useful word, though. And it's one syllable, handy for Australian linguistic laziness.

unless you're american, in what possible sense does it serve any purpose not covered by 'people' aside from giving me the shits

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

spoilers: at least half of them think less of you because of it

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

The looney left is at it again. This time, the PC crusade is targeting plural nouns

just say 'people' idiot

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

Ask any of your male (straight) friends if they gently caress guys and that will let you know if its gendered or not.

ask them if they mean 'i want to have sex with you' when they say 'gently caress you'

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

this piece of string? what????

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

sorry, is that 'get' as in 'acquire'?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

I am a firm believer that immigration policy will shift into something good once they are in government.

jfc

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that greater racial representation in Parliament is bad, just that "I'm X race, you're X race, therefore you should vote for me" is lovely reasoning. If a white candidate ran against a non-white candidate and said "vote for me because I'm white", the thread would (rightfully) be up in arms.

whitlam, upon reading a blatant fairfax anti-greens hitpiece about tram stops being delayed so they can be redesigned to include cyclists as well as disabled people after the plans were rushed and didn't meet the original spec: WHY dO YOU HATE DISABLED PEOPLE

whitlam, when an ethnic minority attempts to increase its representation in parliament: well now hang on,

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

As someone who has to read newspaper comments sections daily I can tell you that most people in those bubbles are self funded retiree weirdos who think anything that wasn't made in the 1980s is communism. The disadvantage of comments sections in journalist websites is that the comments section itself is sometimes more important to read than the article itself. What this means is you end up with a community of commenters who use other commenters in order to comment on the article itself which is often distorted from the original tone of the article.

Then you know companies know this because they write articles to feed the commenters so they can meet their unique visits or clicks KPI but no one really reads the full article.

So the Australian's percentage becomes believable when you put a asterisk next to it clarifying that people who read the Australian trust themselves to be correct in the comments section in an article written in order to feed the comments section so a journalist can reach their KPIs.

jesus christ

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

you painted a vivid picture of an example of how broken media has become and I just had a small moment

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

two birds sunset ale owns

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Australia being 5 years behind the rest of the world in anything

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tithin posted:

fwiw, you are coming across as being condescending / disbelieving with that post
disagreement is fascism

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tithin posted:

I'll bash your fash

don't disagree with me thanks

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Anidav posted:

gently caress Labor

saved

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Other things my housemate believes: 9/11 was an inside job. The Roman Catholic Church invented Islam. Refugees get tons of money and housing and are treated really well, including the ones on Manus Island. The media is covering up a massive Muslim gang problem. The Virgin Mary was artificially inseminated by aliens. The Egyptian pyramids were generators for Tesla energy. Russian time travelers have gone back in time to ensure we live in the best timeline. White people were responsible for the American civil rights movement.

minus the racism this is my favourite type of person

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

except when you know people like this IRL and you are in hospital due to your genetic illness and they are all "have you tried jamming activated crystals up your rear end? big pharma is poisoning you"

everyone knows crystals are used by chrononauts for their ability to bend spacetime

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

the aum shinrikyo nuke is one of the GOATs and even with all the evidence against it I think there will always be a small part of me that unironically believes it

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

tfw you're the australian labor party and you're being outflanked on the left by a lib

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://twitter.com/jonkudelka/status/1055213317843644416

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

say hello.jpg posted:

I went to uni with the guy I was actually in a group assignment with him in database 1. He would spend the classes reading time cube with his nose pressed up against the monitor was pretty surreal. Apparently he interrupted/hijacked a lecture to try to tell people about time cube. I ended up deferring and after I got back I found out what happened. I only found out about how far his obsession went here on SA quite a few years later.

Onto conspiracy things. I've been told that we have nukes however they are disassembled into components. Now normally if these components are within a certain distance of one another they are still classed a nuclear device. The theory is that because of the size of Aus we can store the components with out them being close enough to be classed as nukes.

this or variations on this is something that some states absolutely do

but I have serious doubts that Australians are competent enough to keep something like that a secret

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

The Neon Demon is currently on Netflix.

I love drivecore

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

And this is contentious because...

this may come as a shock but there are plenty of lgbt people that vote liberal for economic reasons

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hidys posted:

Katherine Murphy

hidys posted:

Craig Laundy

:chloe:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Does anyone know what's precipitated the sudden deluge of sympathy for asylum seekers (at least, some of them)? Indefinite detention has been going on for over half a decade now and all of a sudden it's front page news. Remember that the US transfer deal came about before Donald Trump was even president. It makes me feel like some conspiracy theory psycho but I can't help but wonder if some higher ups in the media foodchain are pushing everything to cripple ScoMo to whatever end.

The Coalition is doing it therefore it's bad. Wait until Labor get back in, it will go back to not being spoken about (by these people at least).

Similar story in the US - Obama was almost as brutal as Trump, but because it's Trump the issue of detention has gone from a nonstarter to a massive story.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

They've written multiple biographies for loving horses

These people are insane

stop loving melting down and using italics

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

using italics just returns us to the days of kislerger kid or however the gently caress you spell his name

italics has the stink of tvtropes and reddit

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Frogfingers posted:

I've had a VPN for 3 years now. Anyone else bothered by it does too. It's an issue put to bed already.

:wrong:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Still loling at this btw

it's true and goongrats on having the worst writing style in the world

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

why did you put quotation marks around a true statement

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

bell jar posted:

You should read...GBS

:shuckyes:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

What would be the point of a federal EPA?

To save Qld and WA from themselves

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Schlesische posted:

If it was a Porsche Macan GTS they might convince Caulfield to vote even more Liberal than they already will. If it's just a Volvo then clearly "they just aren't the right kind of people".

Make it a Cayenne and you'd have half the inner eastern suburbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

lmao https://www.openaustralia.org.au/debates/?id=2017-10-23.181.1

• Locked thread