Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Okay this is a great OP! I voted 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

Can someone explain to me why there is still the perception that the ALP is playing small target politics?

Because they are? Can you give any examples of things the ALP has pledged to do that rock the boat at all? All they do is watch the LNP implode and go "hey look at this guy lmao" while consistently voting with them on most major policies, and offering nothing different in return.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

aejix posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/02/labor-to-force-companies-to-compare-ceos-pay-with-that-of-median-worker

I know they feel they can't go harder on this because murdoch will release the LABOR DESTROYING JOBS / POLITICS OF ENVY hounds (which they will loving do anyway) but seriously what the gently caress is this supposed to achieve as is.

"If you have a need and can explain that to investors, you'll be fine"

"Hi I've increased your dividends again by making the guys in the warehouse fight to the death over who gets to eat lunch that day, and my personal golf course needs the irrigation systems completely redone, give me millions of dollars please"

*approved*

This is pathetic. Oh we'll make the top 250 companies self report and then we'll ask them really nicely why their ratio is off and then nothing will happen. It should be mandatory for all publicly listed companies to publish data on their salaries

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Franking tax credits hth

:shrug: I hadn't heard about this, and had a look into this here. It's not something you see Labor get attacked about, and something I doubt most people have even heard of.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Incrementalism is small target politics

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

The royal commission into banking? All the infrastructure spending? Tax reform?

If the Govt hadn't actually held the RC into banking, Labor definitely could have carried that to an election, but if you remember, the only reason the Govt held one was because of overwhelming public support and George Christensen threatening to cross the floor. Turnbull knew he didn't have the numbers so he capitulated as usual. Infrastructure spending is par for the course, and the only tax reform policy I've seen from Shorten is "we'll reverse the changes that the LNP put in place".

It's all bullshit, the ALP aren't sticking their neck out for this election, they're going to just cling to their common sense centrist incrementalism and wait for the LNP to gently caress themselves and Steven Bradbury their way into power.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Yeah but even the lowest effort ALP agenda is still miles better than the LNPs agenda at all effort levels.

For sure, agreed. But saying they aren't playing small target politics is just dumb

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's small target politics maintaining the status quo with minor tweaks. A bit of tax reform here, a bit of spending there, getting behind massively popular policies and avoiding the unpopular ones.

You know what's not small target politics? Welfare overhauls giving everyone a fairer go and actually raising the rates of things like Newstart and Austudy to comfortable, affordable levels. Lowering the work week from 38 hours to 34, and lowering the retirement age. Giving greater rights to casuals and the underemployed. Bringing asylum seekers onshore and treating them humanely. Disrupting the people smuggling business by offering subsidised airfares for people who want to apply for asylum from Indonesia. Proposing to start the process of becoming a republic. Providing more services on Medicare. Giving doctors greater incentives to bulk bill. Universal Basic Income trials. The list goes on.

Don't be satisfied from picking up the scraps of policy from Labor when it's clear that they don't actually have a stance on anything that would significantly differentiate themselves from the Government du jour

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CASUAL workers now have the right to ask their bosses for changes to their employment, thanks to new rules that started on Monday.

quote:

CASUAL workers now have the right to ask their bosses for a permanent position if they have worked regular hours for at least one year.

The Fair Work Commission released a ruling last year that an employee who worked an average of 38 hours for at least 12 months could ask for their position to be converted to a permanent full-time job.

Those who worked less than 38 hours can ask to be a part-time employee if they work a “pattern of hours”, according to the ruling that took effect on October 1.

The workers have to put the request in writing to their boss, who can still refuse it but only if there are “reasonable grounds” and after they have discussed this with the staff member.

This could include that the position would likely not exist within the next 12 months or if the hours of work would likely drop. They can also refuse if the days or times the employee is expected to work is expected to change.

Becoming a permanent member of staff would give staff access to paid sick leave and paid annual leave. It also guarantees them a certain number of working hours and pay. At the moment casual employees can have their shifts cut at the last minute.

The change comes as casual retail workers also have their penalty rates increased on Saturdays and weeknights, ahead of the busy Christmas period.

The full bench of the Fair Work Commission, headed by Justice Iain Ross, ruled the Saturday penalty rate for retail casuals should be increased from 10 per cent to 25 per cent.

Casuals starting work after 6pm on weekdays will be brought into line with permanent retail employees, who get a 25 per cent loading on those shifts.

“In our view, the current casual rates for Monday to Friday evening work and Saturday work lack logic and merit,” the decision said.

Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association national secretary Gerard Dwyer said the changes would benefit more than 350,000 workers covered by the award.

“These measures go some way to addressing the unjust treatment of casual workers under the award who are not properly compensated for the absence of sick pay, annual leave and the insecurity of work,” Mr Dwyer said.

The new rates are set to come into place from November 1.

Retailers are fuming over the “disastrous” decision, expressing grave concern for the industry ahead of Christmas trading.

“Retailers usually thrive during the Christmas period. However, this year I’m concerned many retailers will bear the brunt of an unjust and detrimental decision,” Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman said.

“Casual staff are the lifeblood of the retail industry and instead of seeing our retailers shine this Christmas, we will see them undertake more pressure and have to make serious decisions about their Christmas trade.”

The penalty rate increase comes after the commission last year cut retail casuals’ Sunday rates, with those changes to be phased in by July next year.

https://www.fwc.gov.au/documents/decisionssigned/html/2018fwcfb4695.htm

Thanks Labor!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Here's how it works:

Casual employee has worked in a role for 12 months for consistent hours, and feels justified in being brought on permanently, either in a part-time (according to their shift pattern) or full-time role.
Casual employee brings this up to their boss.
The boss refuses, citing reasons that don't apply to the employee's situation
If the employee has the time, and the money, they apply to FWC to have the situation resolved
FWC either rules for or against the employee depending on the time of day/weather outside
The employee is quietly let go weeks afterwards

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Regardless of the actual mechanisms of FWC, the employee still ends up without a job at all, 100% of the time. It should be automatic and mandatory, not a "please mister boss may i have stable shifts and sick leave sir, may i??"

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Be honest here, how many of you think Scott Morrison will win the next election.

I think he has about a 55% shot at it. Barring any further serious infighting or policy fuckups, they might sail clear through to May

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Cartoon posted:

ScoMo only has a hope in hell if he goes to an election before the next budget or earlier. Why?

1/ Housing crash jenga has offically begun. https://www.afr.com/real-estate/sydney-property-prices-fall-the-fastest-in-nine-years-corelogic-20180902-h14udy

2/That pesky NBN roll out. March 2019 is crunch time for many users and the whole musty edifice is about to collapse into a pile of waterlogged copper and foreign call centre poop. Mum's and Dad's without a working internet connection or phone line? Yeah that'll pull votes for the LNP architects.

Scomo talking points:

1/ The only reason we're in this mess is because of 6 years of fiscally irresponsible Labor government, a LNP government will take care of the economy and ensure house prices remain strong

2/ The only reason we're in this mess is because of 6 years of fiscally irresponsible Labor government overpromising on NBN's budget, speed, and rollout timefame. The NBN under the LNP government is stronger and faster than anything Labor could have done.

The CPG will lap it up unquestioningly and gratefully as per usual

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I keep seeing Instagram ads for Asher Judah who is the Liberal in my electorate, talking about removing traffic lights at South Rd/Nepean Hwy & South Rd/Warrigal Rd, by lowering South Rd through the intersections, similar to the level crossing removals that have gone on in the Bentleigh area.

So I see the ads and my first reaction is "Oh that's a good idea!", then immediately followed by "what happens to those major intersections while the intersection is being lowered?", also followed by "how much would this cost? fix Punt Rd first"

But I can see a lot of people getting stuck on the first thought and voting Liberal

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

State & Territory Treasurers have come together to agree to scrap the tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products. Another nail in the coffin for the Liberals, who spearheaded and accomplished this reform on tax, while Labor will definitely coast to victory in the next election, having rejected the notion for the entirety of its time in opposition apart from the last 6 months, when Bill Shorten learned that women vote

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Woah haven't the liberals been in power for 5 years now? It's labors fault it took so long.

Only a party with a Minister for Women could make this happen

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Good of the LNP to implement Labor’s policies though

https://twitter.com/catherinekingmp/status/990311714699841536?s=21

bell jar posted:

State & Territory Treasurers have come together to agree to scrap the tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products. Another nail in the coffin for the Liberals, who spearheaded and accomplished this reform on tax, while Labor will definitely coast to victory in the next election, having rejected the notion for the entirety of its time in opposition apart from the last 6 months, when Bill Shorten learned that women vote

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/25/the-tampon-tax-is-not-a-marginal-issue-its-the-force-of-structural-sexism-at-work

quote:

There was a brief moment of hope for Australian women in 2015 when Joe Hockey agreed to consult the states about lifting the goods and services tax on menstrual products. Alas, the state treasurers couldn’t agree to remove the tax because stimulating economic growth was considered more important.

At the time, Labor claimed to support lifting the GST and shadow treasurer Chris Bowen said: “These are in effect health products and aren’t simply a matter of choice for women.”

And then along came the federal election campaign during which Bill Shorten changed his mind, saying “we can’t afford” to lose the revenue.

He needs the revenue. Let’s just think about that for a moment.

July 2016

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's so good of Labor to go hard on tampon tax like the RC into banks they supposedly bullied the LNP into, and thats why we don't have the tampon tax anymore. Only a reactionary party would change their policy on the back of a wave of popular thought after successful repeals of tampon taxes in notorious loving hellholes like New York

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Did I miss the time in the past five years when the Liberals weren’t in control?!

Maybe if he'd campaigned in 2016 on repealing the tampon tax he'd have won? But it wasn't in his policy and he lost :shrug:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

monkeu posted:

Parties change their policies all the time. Only a truly moronic and incompetent government would keep their policies on things like fossil fuels for example frozen despite mounting evidence that they’re not only unreliable but also economically a disaster. In their defense the liberals have technically shifted their policy though - they used to have an energy policy (albeit a terrible one) but now they don’t have one at all.

As I said though, labor announced this policy six months ago. Nice for the liberals to finally implement it.

Do you somehow think that I am praising the Coalition? I'm condemning Labor for being a carbon copy of them, with little to no difference in policy - the difference in policy literally becoming smaller by the day as the Government passes the populist platforms that Shorten has only adopted in the farcical hope that it would convince people that the ALP aren't just interested in gaining power and maintaining the status quo. A vote for either party is a vote for the same neo liberal bullshit economic ideology. The same needlessly punitive, inhumane (and probably illegal) refugee policies that leave us an international disgrace. The same approaches to funding infrastructure through privatisation, and privatisation of existing infrastructure. There is no difference apart from, apparently, a small change to franking credits.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bowmore posted:

I'm actually ok with ditching the bra tax as well

Would that stretch to all undies, or just bras? Could I pay less for guyfront trunks

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

14/8/18

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

TIME THEFT

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

lol I missed this and also what is that av?

lmao i guess i made some people mad in pyf

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Good on Trioli for actually going in and saying the things she said, you wouldn't catch Leigh Sales interrogating MPs like this. Another video that shows that the ALP is at best superficially different from the Liberals. When Trioli asks why he thinks it's acceptable to have children in detention, he says he doesn't agree with having children in detention (*who have medical issues). What about the children without medical issues? Ah well, gently caress em

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Shorten won't do anything about refugees because he likes things how they are. You could make any moral, economic, medical argument to him that you want, he prefers it that asylum seekers are kept offshore. He doesn't challenge the Govt on their stopped boats rhetoric, while Albo goes on interview admitting that the LNP have indeed stopped the boats (which obviously they haven't). He thinks that it's good that people are there. He just might want to tweak the conditions there a little bit so they're slightly more palatable to left wing people, under the guise of incrementalist change that completely gets swept away by the time Govt changes hands again

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I can't ever see myself voting Liberal higher than Labor, but I also can't see myself voting Labor higher than the Greens. But like you say, people here have lost faith in democracy - well, Australian democracy at least, which is anything but democratic in reality.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

He is also Indigenous

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Konomex posted:

It's kind of lovely and racist to say 'this country is run by white people, I am not white, vote for me'. Seriously, give a better reason for people to vote for you other than 'you're Chinese, I'm Chinese, vote Chinese'.

No it isn't lovely or racist you loving idiot, the reason that 'you're Chinese, I'm Chinese, vote Chinese' works is because Chinese-Australians aren't represented by the lily white racists that make up the current Govt

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Whitlam posted:

I don't think anyone is arguing that greater racial representation in Parliament is bad, just that "I'm X race, you're X race, therefore you should vote for me" is lovely reasoning. If a white candidate ran against a non-white candidate and said "vote for me because I'm white", the thread would (rightfully) be up in arms.

lol your understanding of nuance is impeccable as always

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Apex gang got me. Someone spent $150 at Culture Kings on my old bank account while I was in Greece savouring the birthplace of glorious western culture. I have informed Uncle Tony X.

That was me, thanks for the new kicks

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

No worries, I'll get the money back because I only shop at Country Road/RM Williams.

If this is true then drat, I feel sorry for you

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I think instead, they should just let all the horses into the opera house and broadcast that on the screen

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

How the gently caress is Luke Foley still Opposition leader.

Like, HOW.

Also lol champion of the left Albo is like chill out kids, let adverting be everywhere!

There is no difference between the parties apart from superficial poo poo, so it's unsurprising to hear Anthony "Peter Dutton Has Stopped The Boats" Albanese advocate for turning the Opera House into a loving billboard

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

photoshop the barrel to point in he own mouth

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

I’m outraged at gambling advertising on the Opera House, and shocked that Labor supports it too.

COUNT CHOCULAAAAAAAAAAAA

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

has kiegelsuhr kid ever logged on again

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Link pls

Yeah post the post so I can ask JBP how changing the ALP from within is going, again (I know you're not a member)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

https://www.alp.org.au/fairgoactionplan

Labor seems to be launching a policy platform extremely early.

:roflolmao: their main points are all "we'll bring back the status quo from before the lnp were in power" :roflolmao: why would you vote for this stupid fuckin party

the status quo was poo poo. propose something better instead of just winding back the clock you reactionary incrementalist fucks

• Locked thread