Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

The reason they pay these people so much money is so they don't upset the applecart. Also applecart auto corrects to AppleCare on Android this world is a sham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVFRgoQe86U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hooman posted:

Economic Update with Richard D. Wolff is a good podcast listen.

I cannot recommend this enough! Also, his partner Dr. Harriet Fraad has started a new podcast called Capitalism Hits Home, which focuses on how capitalism affects our family relationships, mental health etc. If you like Economic Update, give Capitalism Hits Home a listen, too.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hambeet posted:

People encouraging people to go all Grandpa Simpsons on Alan Jones's sponsors / advertiser's.

Who is vodaphone? Is that some weird knockoff of vodafone? At least one of those advertisers was killed in action.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hambeet posted:

i love our avatars bj

me too :gay: shoulda added a lowtax spine fund thingo to mine. ah well, next time

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I thought this was going to be a chinese lantern or something, but no, its literally just a lamp post, made in China, that the CEO maliciously installed outside Alan Jones' toaster house in order to prevent public injuries.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

get back to me when it's 5 years

I heard telephones, opera house, favourite melodies. I saw boys, toys, electric irons and TVs. My brain hurt like a warehouse, I had no room to spare. I had to cram so many things to store everything in there.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anidav posted:

Let's see how The Australian is responding to the U.N Climate Change Report...

Chris Kenny will gently caress your dog to death, free of charge! It's a service :colbert:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Nuclear To The Node, and for the last mile, clean, safe coal power

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Only the Liberal Nuclear Government can make this happen

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Went on a long expedition to find this classic from hooman

Good to have you posting again Chocula

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Two Birds owns, the brewery is fun to visit if you're in Melbourne's west as well.

a two birds in the hand is worth uh, two in the bush

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

I got an IPSIS(?) call about Federal polling tonight.

Expect an interesting poll in Fairfax papers soon

What was the question? Or questions?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

The Before Times posted:

Quick question: what is the best union for IT professionals (specifically programmers and/or game devs) to join? An acquaintance thinks there's no union for them but I'm psure that's wrong.

I doubt there is one. I haven't been able to find any unions for things like help desk/support which is where the solidarity is really needed. I don't think there's much in terms of unionism in the fygm world of programming.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

how the gently caress can the greens not kick out buckingham

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

If the Greens don't change their behaviour internally within the next five years I will join the Labor party.

hahaha :golfclap:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It should be easier for everyone involved to immigrate here. We can afford it if we actually tax the goddamn rich instead of just workers

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

LNP SELL JOB COOL DAY

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

what's the point of a broom you can't gently caress

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

From theg liveblog:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/oct/15/coalition-morrison-joyce-coal-polls-politics-live

quote:

Labor senator Kimberley Kitching has given her own spin on Labor’s new policy to remove exemptions that allow discrimination by religious schools against gay staff.
In an interview on Sky, Kitching said she wants a bipartisan “discussion” on removing that discrimination law exemption, but that can’t take place until the government releases the full Ruddock review.
Kitching says that “no school is going to embrace the nastiness of discriminating against teachers” and that discrimination on the grounds of sexuality “is unnecessary”. So far so good, it sounds like she’s on the same page as Bill Shorten.

But Kitching then repeatedly references schools’ ability to set their own ethos, and employ people that “abide by the teachings” of that religion, drawing an analogy with the fact schools are not obliged to hire people from other faiths.
Asked if this means schools can turn away or sack gay teachers, Kitching replies that the fact a teacher is in a same-sex relationship is not a “public controversy” that would be known. At this point it’s all starting to sound a bit Don’t Ask Don’t Tell - teachers are allowed to be gay but not to let it be known that they are gay by, for example, having a visible partner of the same sex.

Kitching:
“Religious schools do currently have an exemption around being able to discriminate [in favour of] teachers who [reflect their ethos] ... [A school] can hire someone - currently... who is able to teach the ethos of the school. And that’s different to removing the discrimination around sexual orientation. We don’t need that discrimination.”

So it sounds like Kitching wants to give a red light to discrimination on sexuality, and a green light to positively selecting for characteristics in line with religious teaching, even if that ends up at the same destination.

They had half a populist policy that would pass with bipartisan support and they're already walking it back lmao. Oh you can't fire someone for being gay, but if someone being gay contravenes your religion, well, fire, fire away!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Labor: We're Progressive!*

* actually we're reactionary conservatives working to restore the status quo

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'll give it to Labor that at least they didn't back the Government on this, lmao

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

AgentF posted:

Go get your head checked. The Greens who have been fighting hard for equal rights for decades are the same as the racist reality-divorced homophobic climate science deniers in PHON, are they? Even more tiresome than your usual tenuous anti-Greens jabs.

Did you miss the previous page?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Lid posted:

I think they realised that endorsing white power at the same time as floating they'll move the embassy to Jerusalem may give mixed messages to the Jewish population in Wentworth.

Nah jews are white now, that's why we have the word Judeo-Christian

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Aren't the ALP voting on and announcing the policy for children to be evacuated for medical treatment today?

Only the ones that the AMA has been able to confirm are, in fact, close to death. The rest of them can stay there. Thanks Bill Shorten!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bowmore posted:

apparently Kochie made a slavery joke about Usain Bolt this morning

JBP posted:

loving lol

i thought these were in sequence

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Really feel the administrative error defence was under-utilised at Nuremberg

My great grandfather died at auschwitz he fell out of a poorly administered office

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Liberal Party of Australia in receipt of 10,000 Klan hoods after shipping error.

2:52pm
16/10/2018

The Morrison government has blamed a “shipping error” for several large crates of Down South brand white KKK hoods currently sitting in the lobby at 100 William St.

Mathias Cormann explained that the large shipment of Klan hoods had arrived in error and said “if I’d know that these were Klan hoods, rather than simply plain white hoods as I believed them to be, we wouldn’t be in this situation. It really is a grievous shipping error.”

The surplus hoods are scheduled for destruction this afternoon via large T shaped bonfire on the Kirribilli front lawn.

More to come.

it has to be a lower case t, for tolerance. it's ok to be white

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Australia’s coziness with the gambling industry is like America’s coziness with the gun lobby. Sure, make gambling legal, but shouldn’t there be restrictions on advertising? Shouldn’t pokies be banned? The entire industry exists to take money from vulnerable people.

Absolutely. Agreed. It seems like the laws have been relaxed over the last decade or so because I'm seeing so much more gambling related advertising each year. It's hosed. My dad is a gambling addict (restricted to horse bets on good days) and I just thank his failing eyesight and general boomerness that he hasn't discovered all of those gambling/betting apps. His pokies period was a nightmare

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol:
https://twitter.com/HumanHeadline/status/1052339475035054081

https://twitter.com/kimbakit/status/1052335532947042304

https://twitter.com/kimbakit/status/1052337979912466432

:auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol: :auspol:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bell jar fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 17, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Another shocking nail in the coffin for the LNP as Labor vote with them to reject all of the TPP's amendments and have it sail through the senate. This is a win for Labor, who are steadfastly against the TPP planning to roll it back when they get in power voting for the TPP despite major internal concerns just really glad to be here today, sharing this wonderful country with all of you.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

me at this election trying to differentiate the two main parties

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

It's hard being a single issue voter.

Is there a single issue that they differ on?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

idk tax, health, education, transport, internet but those ones arent really important

Source? I've tried looking at all of these policies but they're all either identical, a variation on a theme, or a promise to simply roll stuff back

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

tax - alp say they will keep low income but gently caress high income breaks
health - preserve medicare seems good
education - preschool WHAT ABOUT IMMIGRANTS and whatever Gonski-lite poo poo comes out of December's platform discussion
transport - planned national rail investment
internet - fttp

e: also repealing poo poo things that have been done by the liberal party is good and a different policy seeing as different means not the same

Ah okay so yeah more of the same, or wind back the clock. Incrementalism is dumb, both parties are keen on the same neo lib bullshit strategy. There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially. We're just tricked into thinking that the ALP actually stand for something different, when they clearly don't, and are just waiting for the Libs to lose govt, as opposed to actually winning it.

Gonna keep voting Greens 1, ALP Last-1, and LNP Last, but gently caress me it's frustrating having an opposition that isn't actually interested in shifting the Overton window of this country, rather than appearing not to be incompetent (while being loving useless)

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I mean it's nice that ostensibly the ALP has the support of unions but it's nothing more than a namecheck when you have the official ALP policy be to vote for the TPP as-is rather than actually listen to the unions advice that this fucks over workers.

But it's okay, the ALP brand is still pro-union so they can run on that without actually having to propose their own policies, or challenge the policies of the LNP that gently caress workers over.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Centre is different to right.

Wrong, there is no difference, when the Center is "keep things as they are" and what they are is Right, especially when centrism is just a bullshit shield to hide the fact that they think that right wing policies are actually good

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

"There isn't any difference between the two parties philosophically, economically or socially." I dunno mate, why even want an election then, leave the libs in charge forever since it will be the same, should that be your genuine belief.

Because the Greens exist, and should be in Opposition, and not Labor? Why do you keep thinking on strictly two party terms. There is no point in an opposition party that largely agrees with the incumbent. It's not opposition, it's going along to get along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

You're pretty far off here. While they may not satisfy our collective desire for full communism, now, the ALP are demonstrably better at actual governance of the country, appropriate use of government money, while also actively at least trying to improve the circumstances of the working class, fix education, and deliver useful infrastructure, even if they are miserable at looking after refugees and the indigenous population.

Maybe take a breather.

Citation needed. Talking federal ALP here, not state. There is a huge demand for federal icac because it turns out that actually no, people don't trust the MPs of either party to use money appropriately, and act honestly when carrying on Government. An ALP government cannot be working to improve the circumstances of the working class, fix education, deliver useful infrastructure and support tax breaks for business owners, reductions in penalty rates, and standardised testing for kids via NAPLAN. It's not possible, it's counter intuitive

bell jar fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2018

• Locked thread