Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This week in loving stupid ideas, an apartment block in North Freo is going to get a landing pad for flying taxis and delivery drones.

Speaking of, what's the legislation surrounding drones? And how happy are folks going to be with them flying over their houses and back yards? Perth already has a problem with folks going "Noo the poors in apartments will have views into my yard so we should have low density forever".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Coles and Woolies staff can't ask for leave around Xmas anyway coz the SDA sold them out, idk why Colesworths are complaining.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

JBP posted:

Going to be interesting what happens over there at the next election. At least Trump's anti-Iran stance is going to force us into renewables/PT faster because petrol will cost $2 next year.

Genuinely curious how high petrol prices have to be for people to drive less, if not stop entirely.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I'll laugh if/when the wages increase leads to a slight increase in Christmas sales.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

"But mum, all of my friends are grossly exploiting the proletariat!"
"If all your friends were jumping off cliffs, would you do it?"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

JBP posted:

How inspirational is this magnificent nation of ours? I refer to 14 month old conjoined twins Dawa and Nima Pelden, who have been brought to the Royal Children's Hospital from Bhutan in the hopeful expectation of a lifesaving miracle.
Many achievements, many international awards, may conjure up pride in our nation, and in our fellow Australians, but nothing surpasses our kindness and generosity of spirit when the lives of children require our urgent medical assistance.
I'm proud to call myself Australian.

Lyle Geyer, Essendon

Fuckin hell.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

bigis posted:

If I’m pooping at work is that time theft?

:itwaspoo:

Boss makes a dollar
I make a dime
So I poop
On company time

But seriously all paid work is exploitation, I don't see a problem with things going the other way. It's unrealistic to expect people to sustain 100% of their focus on the job for every hour they're working. And anyone who can and does is a scab.

So long as the work is getting done, it's fine.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

Labor want to build part of Metronet right through the center of a Bush Forever site, which is a loving fantastic way to wedge the Greens.

Yeah I was thinking about attending the workshop on that, if it hasn't happened already.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

As a side note I'm not exactly keen on the state government incentivising low-density sprawl forever by giving every loving new development train lines.

Don't get me wrong, high speed rail to Margaret River would be cool, but I think Perth needed a hard border 30 years ago and planned accordingly so we didnt have to decide between trains and bush forever sites.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Fucks sake.

I just despair, especially at the IPCC report. Why does the govt fund CSIRO then just ignore them??? :(

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I feel like this is more a pay problem than a labour problem.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Ugh.

This whole IPCC thing has brought literally the worst people out.

I wish we could take down names and ensure when things get terrible they're the first against the wall.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

JBP posted:

Let's all join Liberal branches together and do funny submissions to their agendas.

You're joking, but an acquaintance of mine joined the liberal party "to make friends" and is surprised everyone there is so conservative.

My friend works with him and occasionally asks me for vaguely progressive things to suggest to him for his liberal party meetings.

I think so far we convinced him a few months ago or suggest ending the GST on tampons, lol.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 11, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

hambeet posted:

meet jimbo

:staredog:

i think the evil universe version of jim won and can now stay on here

I keep giggling over this one. I want to email him and ask how to get to the darkest timeline.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Cartoon posted:

And here I thought I was being funny with it because it's the off season...

Also wrongo!

Bike riding is the top sport by participation and Cricket if you have to have a team involved. By participation by gender Netball tops the AFL. If you measure it by the number of sad fat poo poo heads who watch it while swilling beer and gulping unhealthy snacks before beating or raping their partners then AFL is a clear winner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Australia

So I've been whinging about the lack of bike paths in WA, the fact bike riding is the most popular by participation gives my whinging some shred of credibility. Thanks!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/TheKouk/status/1051234236093460480?s=19

Too bad none of the farmers are going to listen...

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Konomex posted:

I've literally been arguing with a farmer about this exact thing this week. She claims unemployed people are too precious and ask for all sorts of incentives to come and work on her farm, like a place to live, a phone, a car, high pay. I tried to explain the idea of the labour market to her.

She claimed I was some super intellectual and got all stroppy. Then some one else chimed in to say dole bludgers didn't deserve the right to use his money unless they were forced to work for it in someone elses private business. When I explained that our labour market requires a surplus of unemployed to remain flexible he too got upset.

They said I must think I'm smarter than them for using words and knowing about economics and business. I called them trash people for thinking government slaves was a good idea.

Farmers are human trash.

If it was meant for children then why do they sell it in adults size, huh? Huh!? Ain't no child wearing my limited edition 7XL Harry Potter robes.

I wish more people looked past the romanticism of farming you see on the ads on TV and instead realise farming is made up mostly of super rich folks who want others to subsidise their lifestyles. Case in point - Moora college remaining open.

Also I don't see any harm in liking Harry Potter, but I admit my super privileged middle class sensibilities cringe a bit at the fan page of a YA series I read when everyone starts talking about the tattoo they have or are planning on getting. I just don't get liking anything enough to have it permanently marked on your skin.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I grew up on a farm. Farmers aren't all rich, in fact many are drowning in debt. But they're probably all crazy.

I think it was The Before Times who last month found an article saying the average farmer, if you dissolved all their assets and paid off their liabilities would still have 1.6 million left over.

So, not exactly Gina Rinehart, but they're far wealthier than the average Australian household. The fact they're in debt is very much a choice, if they wanted they could sell everything and go get a job in the city. There's literally nothing stopping most of them.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Wow, kids whose parents abandon them at daycare every day and never see them are a bit maladjusted.

That's totally the same thing as this, it's literally the same.

I feel like the sort of parent who'd literally abandon their child at daycare at every given opportunity wouldn't be the best parent if they were forced to care for the child.

Also, regarding NAPLAN: I vaguely recall doing a standardized test in year 3 in the 90s. Sounds kinda similar coz we got a report card that said stuff like "froglet has a reading age of X" and stuff like that.

froglet fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 18, 2018

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

If only wage growth and cost of living was at the levels older generations enjoyed where you could have one stay at home parent and still afford to live. Oh well nothing we can do, let's poo poo on the parents

This is a gigantic misconception. Back in the day, if you were poor, odds are your mum worked. If you couldn't afford childcare your kids had to come to work with you or stay with Grandma or whatever.

Not working has always been an exclusive luxury of rich (white) women.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I enjoyed the film that songs from and I feel like this has ruined it forever. :/

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

bowmore posted:

Gonna be pissed if the Libs scrape in or it's a recount

I've heard a bunch of ALP scrutineers have appeared, and it's pretty obvious they're not there to bolster the share of ALP votes.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Reclines Obesily posted:

there's apparently two booths that should have phelps +1000 more than she is right now. kevin bonham and anthony green both have mentioned this

we'll know more in a few days

Silly question, but how do they know this?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

I used to get really angry about how Australians have no right to free speech because it’s lead to things like videogame censorship and the proposed Internet filter. At least now I support hate speech laws after the rise of Trump. It’s a real culture shock, though.

I’m trying to explain Australian healthcare to an American and it’s not working. Apparently we suffer long wait times and have what procedures we need are determined by an army of faceless beaurocrats. I haven’t really experienced that.

The way I think of it is that if you're waiting a long time for surgery, it doesn't mean your condition doesn't suck, it's that others have it worse.

Which is mind-boggling if you grew up in a country where the healthcare you receive is - with few exceptions - a function of your capacity to pay.

I'm not saying the system is completely perfect and there's zero room for improvement, but sorting waiting lists by need is more humane than the American system.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

hambeet posted:

gently caress i'd do it if someone bank rolled me

I wonder if anyone has worked out the average costs for getting elected for the lower house for each seat, or if there's any seats that have a low enough population/other characteristics that make getting elected easier (or at least more affordable) than others.

I was reading earlier today someone spent $20k on an "advertising blitz" in one of the regional seats (no I have no recollection what the advertising blitz was about), and my only thought was "really? That doesn't sound like a lot".

Dollars aren't a perfect conversion into votes, but I could totally imagine some nerd working out which of the seats are weakest or most susceptible to this sort of thing and some rich and opportunistic bastard capitalising on it to get in. Or at least, to upset the candidate who ultimately does get in.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

That was the “anyone but the nats” campaign, and advertising on regional radio/tv is crazy cheap.

When I am rich and crazy I am going to buy advertising time on regional radio for complete nonsense. Not selling anything, just introduce unadulterated oddity into strangers lives.

"Do you ever sit and feel the earth just... Turning?"

"Eeeeeeeee eeee eeeeeeeee. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa kkkkkk nooooooooot"

"Breathe in *hold it* breathe out, breathe in *hold it* breathe out. Don't you feel better?"

"Trapped in radio station, send help!"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Pretty sure my brother unironically believes some of that crazy poo poo.

I read somewhere that conspiracy theorists are that way due to social isolation.... So I keep in touch just to ensure he doesn't go full tinfoil hat territory. :tinfoil:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

He and SHY can both be worthless former Greens senators

SHY didn't lose her preselection, though.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

The new TARDIS is full of crystals. Everything makes sense now.

I am literally the most socially isolated person in history. I have literally no social contacts. And I don’t believe in ANYTHING.
I think conspiracy theories are a way of asserting control over a chaotic world by finding a hidden meaning for things. For more, read Umberto Eco’s Foucault’s Pendulum.

Are there any good Aussie conspiracy theories besides Port Arthur and Harold Holt?

Oh there's the (imho rather disrespectful) one that aboriginal art of spirits are evidence of ancient aliens.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

Re: metalhead chat, if you want a band with a pedigree of being personally hated by Peter Dutton, the lawyer behind the Ashmore Reef case is also the frontman of a melodic metal band.

Oh man I am not a metal person but I love Voyager. Despite them being a Perth band I've never seen them live, though.

Also I told my coworker the lead was an immigration lawyer and he didn't believe me. Dude would fact check every one of my fun facts and get angry I was pretty accurate.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

Why the gently caress do people care so much about a loving horse race? I’m the anti-animal dude and even I can see this poo poo is evil. Read Overlay, and obscure sci-fi novel by Barry Malzberg about an alien discovering how evil horse racing and gambling is.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/sma...tx3bDjgZ1wIfIjM
AN inner-Sydney pub’s decision to boycott the race that stops a nation has sparked an outpouring of outrage — and praise.

The Newtown Hotel, located in Sydney’s hipster mecca of Newtown, has revealed it will not celebrate the Melbourne Cup on November 6.

Instead, it will hold a “F**k the Cup” event in a bid to protest the increasingly controversial annual race.

• Photo ends ‘ugly’ Harry rumour

• Hunt for $200 ‘dine and dash’ trio

• Online sales season kicks off

In a recent Facebook post advertising its alternative event, the venue explained: “We aren’t about horse racing … so instead we are becoming an island from all the other venues around us … that won’t be televising the Melbourne Cup or hosting some fancy lunch for suits to bet on some horse because its name is cute!”

The event will feature local bands as well as a “karma keg” of beer, with all proceeds to go to Horse Rescue Australia to rehabilitate ex-racing horses.

The Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with progressive, Greens-voting locals. Picture: Damian Shaw
The Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with progressive, Greens-voting locals. Picture: Damian ShawSource:News Corp Australia
The post has received thousands of likes, shares and comments, with the majority of commenters praising the pub’s decision.

“Amazing! Thank you for taking a step in the right direction and rejecting the exploitation and abuse of horses!” one Facebook user wrote, while another added: “So glad boycotting horse cruelty is finally becoming a thing! It’s right up there with greyhound racing and all other forms of animal abuse.”

The Newtown Hotel's event is dividing opinions. Picture: Facebook
The Newtown Hotel's event is dividing opinions. Picture: FacebookSource:Facebook
Others also criticised the Melbourne Cup for encouraging excessive gambling and using animals for entertainment and financial gain.

The Melbourne Cup has been an annual highlight for many Australians since it first began in 1861.

However, over the years it has attracted increasing backlash from animal lovers who believe the event is cruel and inhumane.

That backlash intensified in 2014 after two horses died directly because of the Melbourne Cup.

That year, Admire Rakti collapsed and died in his stall after the race and Araldo was euthanased after breaking his leg after the event after being spooked by a waving flag.

The next year, Red Cadeaux was also put down after sustaining an injury during the race.

However, while the Newtown Hotel’s anti-Cup event seems to be a hit with the famously progressive, Greens-voting people of Newtown, it has also been slammed by others as “anti-Australian” and an example of PC “madness”.

Liberal MLC Peter Phelps has also hit out at the protest, telling The Daily Telegraph it was “petty” and only for “woke animal liberationists who love that sort of thing”.

“The vast majority of Australians are going to be watching the cup — if people want to be grumble bums, they can be grumble bums,” he told the publication.

But PETA spokeswoman Emily Rice told news.com.au the tide was well and truly turning against the race.

“Events that boycott the Melbourne Cup grow in number and popularity every year — and for good reason,” she said.

“Ever since Archer won the first Melbourne Cup while injured — in a race in which two other horses died — countless horses have sustained catastrophic injuries on the racetrack.

“Between July 2017 and July 2018, 119 horses died on Australian racecourses and hundreds more were injured.”

Ms Rice said the Melbourne Cup was gambling with the lives of race horses.

“Forcing horses to run at breakneck speeds while being whipped is gambling with their lives,” she said.

“Those who survive to the end of their racing days, which comes when they’re still quite young, are often discarded, slaughtered, and sold for their flesh.

“There’s nothing ‘sporting’ about animals suffering and dying on the track.”

My work always does a Melbourne Cup event. I feel uneasy about it because I'm quite anti-gambling. I feel forced to participate so as not to be That Person.

Also I don't know why refusing to participate is such a big deal. Loads of people are anti-gambling and anti-animal cruelty.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

I was in the same boat with work. I’m anti-gambling for personal reasons and the Melbourne Cup really bugs me because it’s a whole holiday devoted to gambling.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UOFeaedv3Uc - here’s a song about using your girlfriend’s psychic powers to cheat at horse racing

There was a goon a while back who said in addiction circles it's known as Relapse Day and that addiction treatment centres keep the news off the entire week leading up to it as well as keeping newspapers etc away from the patients. But that does nothing for people who suddenly have to work out how to turn down their colleagues for a drink or a chance a the office pool.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

If they spent as much time getting involved politically as they did prepping they probably wouldn't need to prep.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because as we all know wealthy centrist women are really good at beating loud fascists

It's entirely possible Joyce's electorate is sick of his poo poo. Didn't his daughter crash a car while shouting out a megaphone not to vote for him at his section 44-induced by-election and it was all hushed up?

Not that tree tories and the capital class are much better, but at least they'd hopefully acknowledge climate change is a thing and it's in their (and their electorates) best interest to act decisively.

That's not a great hope, but I'll take a 1% shot at effective climate legislation over a 0% one with wilfully ignorant dingbats like Joyce around.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

What's the odds the contractors are handling less complex cases while the full time staff are bogged down in the minutiae of documentation?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Edit: ^^^

I can't wait to read in 6-12 months time about Fender and Gibson execs showing up at the capital on the Monday morning after the election with briefcases full of money, looking to bargain with a literal fascist over the rights to log the last of the Brazilian rosewood.

I really wonder what they plan on doing once the stuff is all gone. I'm not sure you can really cultivate that kind of tree, and if you could it'd be a gigantic target for the ever hungry maw of capitalism.

Like how you get people targetting zoo animals for ivory.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Adverse possession not having some kind of reasonable belief or good faith requirement continues to be bizarre to me.

I'm not sure why people using these properties and spaces appropriately should be obliged to go find the owner unless there was something clearly wrong (e.g. skeletal remains; "I will be back" written in blood on the wall).

Abandoned houses are a blight on neighbourhoods. Having laws on the books that redistribute property from people (or estates) that don't (and haven't) used it to those that do is a good disincentive for owners letting their buildings go vacant for extended periods.

I genuinely think we should be going further. These days we can tell by records and water usage which houses have been vacant for an extended period of time. Perhaps we should be forcing owners to either sell their properties on or let them out for living in.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Extinguished title should default to the state not whoever snuck in and changed the locks imo

Completely agree that the laws should go further!

Except people will have a poo poo fit at the idea maybe the good of society should be put before the good of the individual.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I've had a few conversations with members of the Greens where it becomes apparent they don't want to sell/spin the Greens to people who don't have a problem with Torture Island or climate change.

Which is totally understandable, but you don't win elections (and thus advance your agenda) without managing to convince people to vote for you (or at least vote for a party/independent whose HTVs preferences you highly), even if it's for the entirely wrong reasons.

Like I know there are people who seriously don't give a poo poo about the kids on Nauru, but vote Greens because the concentration camp is expensive. Which is utterly hosed, but I'd rather the $2 or whatever of someones #1 vote went to the Greens that to parties who are cool with kids sustaining permanent kidney damage from hunger striking.

Yeah, lucking out on the stopped clock of the electorate is pretty poo poo, but... What else can be done? Appealing to people's better nature isn't working and we're almost out of time to tackle issues like climate change and ocean acidification and all the other poo poo in the world. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Can they keep supply when Dunkley goes Labor in a byelection?

I don't think so? But I'm not the most well versed on these things...

• Locked thread