Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
No mention of Kevin Rudd's leadership ambitions?

https://twitter.com/MrKRudd/status/1046648062716915714

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Youse" is a perfectly good Strayan word and we don't have to resort to seppo poo poo like "y'all".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

bell jar posted:

:shrug: I hadn't heard about this, and had a look into this here. It's not something you see Labor get attacked about, and something I doubt most people have even heard of.

It was front page news in a bunch of newspapers, talkback radio hated it, and Labor definitely got attacked about it.

quote:

If the Govt hadn't actually held the RC into banking, Labor definitely could have carried that to an election, but if you remember, the only reason the Govt held one was because of overwhelming public support and George Christensen threatening to cross the floor. Turnbull knew he didn't have the numbers so he capitulated as usual.
It's not small target politics when you push the government to capitulate on a policy. Labor can campaign on having fought for the RC and that they can be trusted to actually do something in response to it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Be honest here, how many of you think Scott Morrison will win the next election.

I don't. It's not beyond the realms of possibility but the Coalition are fundamentally unpopular at the moment and I don't see that changing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I didn't know all these LNP spin doctors posted here.

Even if the LNP turn around their vote in QLD they still lose due to bleeding votes in NSW and VIC.

Both NSW and Vic have elections coming up soon. I think the Federal Coalition's best hope is that voters take out all their anger on the state parties.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Or the "well it's never a good idea to let one party control everything, so-" crowd come out.

Yeah, that too.

I've got no idea how the NSW election is going to go. The Libs aren't that popular but Labor's platform is such a small target that it could fit up a mouse's arsehole.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

A tabloid newspaper exaggerating gang activity? The day must end in y.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hmm yes, truly inner city cosmopolitans are unfamiliar with traditional concepts like a "big breakfast".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/LaundyCraigMP/status/1047392670564331520

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aesculus posted:

I too, am a single issue voter who cares solely about immigration policy and education, health, the economy, who even cares about that?

e: actually I think this unironically describes a majority of voters in Australia

Yeah it describes a bunch of Coalition / right wing voters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Konomex posted:

Been speaking to some people about this, and the general consensus is they're going to need a lot more properly trained Early Childhood Teachers, because if people are going to send their 3 year olds off to preschool they better not be getting taught by a primary school teacher, or a school that is going to try and push formal schooling onto such young children.

There seems to be some recognition of this (Labor promises to axe upfront fees for 10,000 early childhood education TAFE students) although I have no idea if it's sufficient.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Halo14 posted:

How small can the font be for gamble responsibly...hmm.

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1048030193976324096

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1048126103884390401

Anidav posted:

How the gently caress is Luke Foley still Opposition leader.
Who?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Konomex posted:

It would be lovely, but they were happy to have this published, and he is a finance manager. He should be better at managing his own finances. Who the hell has a 100k personal loan? Why are the repayments for their vehicles so drat high? Why have they not consolidated their debt?

To whine 'we just can't save money, it's impossible!' and also 'we choose a bigger house in a more expensive suburb because...' well thats it then, that and his bad loan choices. It's not impossible to live well on 200k, he's just voluntarily burning that money.

Plus they still manage to save 6k a year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also he is an arrogant arsehole who hates people defying him. I don't doubt that he had some personal reason for caring initially but at this point it's just the principle of the thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/lenoretaylor/status/1049255031176749057

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

So it's like a Sydney knockoff of the Melbourne cup?

That's still too charitable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

There was a long Good Weekend piece earlier in the year about her and Landeryou.

They are massive fuckwits.

quote:

"I was never attracted to the far Left," she says. "The centre of politics is where the gravitas and responsibility lies." In her maiden speech, Kitching talked with a passion for small government, saying: "Our duty as elected representatives is to check and limit the inexorable growth of the state and of the taxes that sustain the state."

quote:

"Kimberley is a very charming, warm, engaging, highly intelligent moral vacuum," a senior figure from the Labor Left says.

quote:

Kitching's friend John Roskam, executive director of the free-market Institute of Public Affairs think tank, says she is part of a "dying breed" in the Labor Party. "She represents traditional Labor Right values in a party that is being dragged to the left. She doesn't hate capitalism, she doesn't hate employers, she would view the Greens as just as much an enemy of the Labor Party as the Liberals."

quote:

Kitching opposes giving rank-and-file members a say on the grounds it could drive the party too far to the left and make it unelectable. She offers a quote from Napoleon Bonaparte: "Lofty principles butter no bread and grease no wheels."

I can find no evidence that Bonaparte ever said this

quote:

A day after our lunch, I meet Kitching at her favourite brunch spot, Lolo & Wren, a hipster-friendly cafe in Melbourne's inner north. When I arrive she's there, clad in a stylish grey poncho, with four Saturday newspapers in front of her. I'd expected her to be alone but Landeryou is present as well. So are their dogs Ronnie and Nancy-Jane, a pair of fluffy white cavoodles named after Ronald Reagan, Landeryou's political hero, and the late US president's two wives.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dude McAwesome posted:

Whenever you see someone use the term “inner city elites”, chances are they’re an rear end in a top hat.

quote:

In 2001, Landeryou and Kitching bought Wardlow, a heritage-listed mansion in the well-to-do inner-city suburb of Parkville, paying $1.175 million for it. A real-estate listing from the time boasted of its "cigar room", "servants' wings" and "formal dining room". Fans of the ABC series Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries will recognise it as the exterior of protagonist Phryne Fisher's house.

By now in their early 30s, the pair would host parties at home that guests still compare to the lavish soirées in F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel The Great Gatsby. "It was a who's who of up-and-coming Melbourne, people from business, unions, the arts," one attendee recalls. "They were living the high life." Kitching was also driving a $92,000 series 5 BMW.

People who live(d) in heritage listed houses shouldn't throw stones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Even Thatcher had decent views on climate change. loving Thatcher.

That just carried over from her hatred of coal miners.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Albo's since backtracked a bit, either because he didn't know the specifics of what was requested or because he realised disagreeing with Shorten over something like this was a bad idea.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/abcsydney/status/1049399755296583680

Alan Jones issues a heartfelt and genuine apology.

Lid posted:

My bet is he backed Foley before realising I'm backing Luke Foley what the gently caress am I doing.
Makes sense, although it relies on remembering Foley exists.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Wouldn't surprise me if some Young Liberal annoyed Kitching and so she decided to join Labor out of spite.

Like how Joe Hockey was motivated because of someone in the USyd SRC wasn't nice enough to him when he wanted a free movie ticket.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/kloussikian/status/1049425606465572864

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

You would think the UN saying we have 12 years to live would cause worldwide riots.

That's not what they said.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kenny's the kind of person who actually believes in climate change but thinks it's more important to attack the left over the way they are handling it.

See also same sex marriage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Where's Buzzfeed?

Knorth posted:

The Aus at 59 geez...
The Aus has the same thing as Sky where the actual news stuff is often decent and the opinion/editorial stuff is loving garbage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

What the gently caress is this about. I tried to read an article about it but half the nouns were meaningless to me.

Alan Jones is an arrogant areshole, NSW government are spineless and corrupt.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/cashbonez/status/1049458846329004034

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Aurubin posted:

My point for Australia was one of scale. Go whole hog into renewables! Hopefully you get enough batteries/set up hydrogen electrolysis stations. Just astonished how well the dumbass tying of nuclear power to nuclear weapons worked.

In Australia nuclear power is also tied to mining in rainforests and destroying historically significant sites.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1049786928973799429

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

The thing I look forward the most to in the 2018 election is the increasingly likely removal of Cory Bernardi and Senator Lionhat from public office.

Bernardi got a 6 year term because he was high up on the Liberal ticket. He's not up for re-election this time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

snoremac posted:

It has its analogue in Americans believing Democrats hold pedo orgies under pizza parlours but that Brett Kavanaugh is an innocent man with a rapist doppleganger.

Pizza parlours that don't have basements, even.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/npomalley/status/1050154339380019201

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

JBP posted:

I'm with Andrew on this one.

Bolt's cultural Christianity only extends so far it seems.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 11, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1050634725251936256

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

Turnbull and others in this mess of a government haven’t really been lauded for their political judgment.

Well they've been sitting on the report so they realised something was up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

who would win in a fight between Gladys Berejiklian and Clover Moore?

Moore and it would not be close.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

So what do you guys think.

Is Prime Minister Sharks and his persona working for the LNP or is Newspoll rigging the preference flows super hard.

Neither, because that Newspoll result isn't remotely favourable for the Coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

What are you talking about? It is clearly aiming to paint plucky little ScoMo as Comeback King Morrison. It's helping them.

They can print whatever headline they like but those numbers are worse than Turnbull's.

• Locked thread