Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I can't believe none of youse blokes and sheilas suggested "cobbers" as an alternative for "folks".

It makes me toe-y as a roman sandal by jingo by crikey it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Anidav posted:

My family is avid Courier Mail readers. My Mother, Grandmother and my late Grandfather all read it, my grandfather would read the whole drat thing but I noticed my Mom and Grandmother would only read the Letters to the Editor. It's the same thing as this but online, people aren't clicking on articles to read them anymore but to find people to agree with in the comments section to confirm their opinions are correct.

Wouldn't it be more that they are looking for people in the comments section to disagree with, and by winning an argument/swearing match with them confirm that their own opinions are in fact correct and the other commenter is a poopy face.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Stoca Zola posted:

Looks like he�s just holding it and doesn�t know what to do with it.

Watching politicians take awkward sips of pots of beer, (it's almost always a pot), in a country pub as they awkwardly try to gladhand and appear relatable is one of my favourite things.

Completely unrelated: Given how the LNP is going full force head on into religious fundamentalism, are they going to try and court the new African migrants, a lot opf whom, like Lucy Gichuhi, are crazy weirdo Christian fundies. If I remember rightly, this had an effect in the same sex marriage vote, where a bunch of newly arrived migrant areas had higher than average No votes.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Reclines Obesily posted:

to preference labor

Or if you'd prefer, to split the vote among those who don't want to vote Tory.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Here's a (probably stupid and lame) thought I just had:

You know how Australia doesn't have a Raving Monster Looney Party? Surely the current circus in Wentworth is perfect for them. An electorate disillusioned with both sides of parliament. An 'Independant' bland and Tory and milquetoast as gently caress. A popular incumbent deposed in comically stupid and evil circumstances.

Whack on a clown suit, dance for the cameras, make some stupid jokes at the expense of the other fuckwited candidates whilst they plaster on grimaces and try to be good sports. You'd be a shoe in. Or at least make your deposit back, and embarrass a bunch of self-important suits.

I know the Australian stupid splinter tiny parties tend to be "Shooters, Fishers, and Hunters.", or that motorist one that the bloke accidentally made his way into teh senate. Where are our Screaming Lord Such's? Our Lord Buckethead's? A whole bunch of people vote "draw a picture of a cock and balls", so why not try and get those cocks and balls to waste their votes in a funnier and sillier way, (which would actually annoy those in power more than a donkey vote).

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I don't know how they can get away with the "administrative error" defence.

Coz either they are racist, and hoped they could get away with it. Or they are minions who don't read the motions in front of them, and instead vote the way they are told. And the way they are told is via an email from up high, that the very office sending out the email doesn't bother to check.

None of this makes them look good or even competent.

And they even failed in seeming like the good guys with their "do it again so we can do teh not racist thing", coz no numbers/names were recorded on the second vote.

My guess would be so that the LNP can say to "the base" see we agree with you that white men are being bullied by those meanie weenie minorities, as shown by our first vote, but since they aer so powerful and us straight white christians hold so little power in society/parliament they forced us to do it again, but this time we aren't signing our names to it *wink wink* You know whose side we are really on.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Anidav posted:

I was tempted to rejoin Labor at the start of the year but then I remembered the frat boy union offspring trying to control my social life every weekend and rocking up to my house uninvited. Then when I filled out the form to quit they rocked up to my house again with a case of beer and tried to get me to withdraw the form because they needed the numbers for some young Labor leadership contest on the weekend and I told them to go away.

Did you take the beer at least?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Lid posted:

The Turnbull Months

The Morrisson weeks.

Here's a fun thought experiment. Imagine how much more/less the swing against the Libs would have been had Dutton gotten in.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Jane Caro (who I've never heard of but is apparently a minor celebrity) is apparently considering running in Wharringah at the next federal election, inspired by Phelps' success.

Based on recent polling, the electorate are deeply dissatisfied with Abbott and the RWNJs he runs with, so she has a definite shot.

This may actually be the answer - if the Liberal party won't deal with its internal toxicity, safe, 'socially progressive' tree tory seats will start falling to independents who still vote in the interests of money, but aren't one eyed idealogues.

Meaning no safe liberal seats remain. Someone should convince high profile tree tories to run in Claremont and Cook and just destroy the leadership.

I was actually thinking about this earlier.

Given many people are rusted on "Liberal" or "Labor", or even "Anyone but Liberal"/"Anyone but Labor" voters, and given the anti-government and anti-Major Party sentiment around, could the upcoming election be a boon for celebrity independents?

Said celeb-independents could run in safe seats to drain votes from the incumbent, or run in marginal seats to split the vote. They would also be a good chance of getting in, a la Dr. Phelps in certain places.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Do you reckon that the success of Phelps in what was once the blue ribboniest of Liberal seats will encourage others like her to steal votes from the Tories?

As in will there be a bunch of LIABN, (Liberal In All But Name), independent candidates running in Liberal seats to take the votes of ex-Lib voters who are dissillusioned with ScoMo's government, but are rusted on 'Anyone-But-Labor'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I think the big question about the Victorian Elections is will the African Gangs(tm), (of which they are legion), vote Lab. Lib. or Other.

• Locked thread