Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Anidav posted:

Re: Max Brenner collapse

It couldn’t possibly be because there just isn’t enough demand in the market for another speciality chocolatier cafe.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

snoremac posted:

I don’t know much about expenses for small businesses but are these people all basically that dril tweet where he’s spending all his money on candles and can’t figure out the problem?

It’s pretty likely that wages are their biggest controllable line item on the P&L, which is why they focus on it so much.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Cpt Soban posted:

Hey they could cut their wages cost right down to 0 if they do all the work themselves. To think some business owners think of wages as "THEFT" or a "COST"... You're INVESTING in your business- Skilled workers = More business. Isn't that what they always talk about while begging the Government to cut taxes? "I CAN HIRE MORE PEOPLE THINK OF OUR BUSINESS"

Are you angry at me, or just the issue in general?

I don’t agree with the constant pushes to reduce wages, I was just explaining why the total obsession from retail/hospo for government to reduce minimum wage.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Australia, the last bastion of free speech? Guess Bolt didn’t tell him all about that pesky 18C.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

This is just taking the piss.

Also it’s a great example of how terrible the liberal NBN rollout has been.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

How long till this fucker’s heart explodes?

I hate how emboldened these these right wing commentators have gotten in the last couple of years. Threatening to have someone sacked because you don’t agree with them is outright bullying.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

But what if he loses his job?

Haha, no. Who am I kidding.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Who is going to blink first? The Nauruan govt or the Australian govt?

It’s like a competition to see who can treat refugees the worst.

quote:

Nauru’s government has ordered Médecins Sans Frontičres (MSF) to stop work there immediately, despite a physical and mental health crisis in the country.

The medical NGO has been providing psychological and psychiatric services to residents, asylum seekers and refugees on the island since late 2017.

MSF staff wrote to its clients on Saturday to tell them it could no longer offer them treatment because of an order from Nauru’s health minister, who said the its services were “no longer required on the island”.

MSF said in its letter that the order meant its “mental health activities in Nauru must stop, effective today, Saturday, 6th of October”.

“We know this sudden news may be very difficult to hear and we deeply regret any challenges that this presents to you, all of our patients, and to the community.”

The organisation said it was seeking more information from the government, including the reason for its decision and what alternative services would be available.

An MSF spokeswoman said later on Saturday that the government had asked on Friday that its activities stop within 24 hours.

“At this stage MSF wishes to reiterate our strong commitment to providing quality mental health care to all those in need on the island,” she said. “We are extremely concerned that the health of our patients may be affected by this decision and urge the authorities to grant us permission to continue our lifesaving work.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/06/nauru-orders-msf-to-stop-mental-health-work-on-island

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

So ‘a fair go for those having a go’ is just the secular version of ‘god helps those who help themselves’?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Jesus, just join the loving Liberal Party and be done with it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

You Am I posted:

Yeah, but strippers at the Opera House.

Also gently caress the "religious rights" review that will allow religious schools to discriminate against not only homosexual staff members, but also allow them to kick out homosexual students

Yeah that is loving bullshit. How about we just ban private schools instead of banning gay kids?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ignoring for the minute all the already identified problems with expelling gay kids, have any of these idiots even thought about how you would police it?

I assume there would have to be some sort of guideline of what is gay enough to expel? Could you claim unlawful discrimination if you said you weren’t gay. Maybe you were just trying it out one time and decided same sex relationships aren’t for you. Maybe you were platonically holding hands with someone of the same sex. Is there a difference between that and romantically holding hands?

I think all these questions are ridiculously stupid, but so are the churches demands.

Additionally their justification for wanting to expel the gay kids is because of the lifestyle values they hold, but I don’t see any defrocked and excommunicated priests walking around, so what should I be assuming about their values from that?

They’re all a bunch of hypocrites who need to be told ‘no’ and ‘gently caress off’

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

hambeet posted:

meet christian martinu

he looks a bit like an older caleb. he really isn't that very interesting except he worked for council as an environmental officer. gj older caleb

Caleb after the Proactiv treatments.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Isn’t businesses doing whatever the hell they want the very definition of capitalism?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

JBP posted:

Fair enough if it's a bona fide religious building and you reckon God will get mad about people meditating but why give a poo poo about the other non-sacred boxes you own.

Clearly having a dummy spit since it looks like they won’t be able to expel those gay kids like they wanted.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

That Rudd article is a good read. He has all the self reflection of Narcissus.

quote:

Mr Rudd said Mr Swan lacked the "cerebral horsepower" of the finance minister Lindsay Tanner and was missing in action during Labor's battle against the resources industry over the mining tax.

"It was an all-round appalling performance," Mr Rudd recalls.

Mr Rudd said weak treasurers could improve with careful tuition but that did not apply to Mr Swan because "that assumed there was a basic level of intellectual software capable of being trained, as well as a treasurer sufficiently interested in being trained."

"In Swan’s case, neither condition existed," Mr Rudd observed.

“The treasurer should always be one of your top order batsmen. At best, Swan would come to the crease in the low to middle order, often in trouble, always defending his wicket and ever-so-rarely on the front foot."

Unsurprisingly he can’t write prose for poo poo.

quote:

Mr Rudd writes: "'Julia, you do realise that I don’t intend to be prime minister for life? I have no intention of passing Howard’s record. In fact, I have no intention of passing Hawke’s record. This is a killing job, which you yourself will discover one day, not too many years hence.'

"She stared at me silently, intently.

"I continued: 'You know what my model for the future is for us, Julia? It’s what Peter Beattie did last year for Anna Bligh'.

"'Not only do I want you to be Australia’s first female prime minister, I want to smooth the way for that. In fact, I want to be part of making it happen.'"

Mr Rudd said Ms Gillard became "visibly uncomfortable" and asked him to drop the subject.

"I ignored her and said what I was feeling," Mr Rudd writes.

"'I want to win the 2010 election, win the 2013 election, and leave at some point during a third term.'"

"Julia just looked at me. Silently. Impassively. Then, saying she had a meeting to go to, she rose and walked out."

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Govt on track to spend $2 million on legal fees this year to fight bringing sick kids to Australia

quote:

The Department of Home Affairs has spent almost half a million dollars in legal fees in three months responding to court applications for urgent medical transfers of asylum seekers and refugees on Nauru.

The amount revealed at Senate estimates on Monday afternoon eclipses the total for the entire previous year, and applies to about 37 cases – sometimes involving multiple people – brought to court since 1 July.

A growing number of critically ill people held on Nauru have sought legal intervention to access required healthcare unavailable on Nauru. At least 11 – and as many as 14 – children have been transferred to Australia in recent days alone.

In Senate estimates on Monday, the department’s first assistant secretary, Pip De Veau, revealed the total cost of responding to such applications in the first quarter of 2018-19 was approximately $480,000.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

norp posted:

They have been getting kids of Nauru in two key ways

1. Having them die
2. Having them get old enough to be classed as adults

You forgot losing court cases and having judges telling them they have to.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I remember the 90’s being full of strikes. My dad worked in construction and the CFMEU/BLF were constantly going on strike and marching through the city.

Are these journalists ignoring the long history of strike action, or have they all just gotten used to the status quo since workers can’t strike without permission these days?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

froglet posted:

I wonder if anyone has worked out the average costs for getting elected for the lower house for each seat, or if there's any seats that have a low enough population/other characteristics that make getting elected easier (or at least more affordable) than others.

I was reading earlier today someone spent $20k on an "advertising blitz" in one of the regional seats (no I have no recollection what the advertising blitz was about), and my only thought was "really? That doesn't sound like a lot".

Dollars aren't a perfect conversion into votes, but I could totally imagine some nerd working out which of the seats are weakest or most susceptible to this sort of thing and some rich and opportunistic bastard capitalising on it to get in. Or at least, to upset the candidate who ultimately does get in.

That was the “anyone but the nats” campaign, and advertising on regional radio/tv is crazy cheap.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

In totally unexpected news racist shithead turns out to be racist

quote:

Senator Fraser Anning is on the verge of being dumped from Katter's Australian Party (KAP), after the party took issue with some of his contentious views on race.

The Queensland senator's time in Federal Parliament has been tumultuous, with him leaving One Nation just hours before being sworn in to the Upper House after a spat with leader Pauline Hanson.

He joined KAP after time as an independent.

Speaking in Canberra on Thursday, KAP leader Bob Katter said the matter was being dealt with by the party's executive.

But he argued it was clear Senator Anning's views on race and non-European migration did not sit well with him.

"This is a matter for the president of our party to talk about," he said.

"This bloke's 99 per cent solid gold, but there's a problem and it's no secret because the president of our party has already made it quite clear that that 1 per cent is not acceptable to the KAP."

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Considering all the poo poo he's said already what could have possibly pushed Bob over the edge? Maybe Fraser prefers lynching non-whites to firing squads

In the article Katter says he identifies as a “First Australian”

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Uh

Does this mean he thinks he's two hundred or two million years old

He has literally referred to himself as a blackfella last year.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Still waiting for a journalist to call bullshit when they claim they’re bringing children who need medical help to Australia. They fight tooth and nail in court every single time, even though they always lose and have now launched a legal challenge over whether the High Court even has the legal ability to make that decision.

Also, stop the boats? bullshit. There was a boat that made it to Australia the same week he became PM. God I loathe these hypocritical lying assholes.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

bell jar posted:

Ambassador for Refugees & Displaced Persons, Scott Morrison Fraser Anning

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

bowmore posted:

what does fair dinkem power mean

Coal.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Varroa mites are one of the big factors killing bees. Australia was free of them, but they were found in Townsville this year. Now it’s just a case of wait and see if they spread.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

quote:

A Labor government would bring in new federal environment laws and strong independent agencies including a national environment protection authority (EPA) to enforce them, under a draft policy platform signed off by the ALP national executive.

Developed by a 60-member policy forum chaired by the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, and the outgoing party president, Mark Butler, the platform is the basis for debate at Labor’s national conference in Adelaide next month.

The central environmental proposals include a new environment act, a science-based EPA to oversee development decisions and a national environment commission to develop legally binding plans and standards for protection.

The platform document says the new laws and institutions would allow a comprehensive approach to biodiversity and conservation, replacing a regime that fails to protect the health of the environment.

“It will reflect Australians’ expectations that environmental protection is essential and ensure an effective and efficient national approach to the management of matters of national environmental significance,” it says.

While not everything in the platform is guaranteed to become legislation, the draft document is a significant win for the Labor environment action network (Lean), an internal advocacy group that has run a 15-month campaign for reforms to protect nature.

As revealed by Guardian Australia as part of the Our Wide Brown Land series, ALP branches from every state and territory backed a Lean motion calling for strong national environment laws and an independent agency akin to a “Reserve Bank for environmental management”. By January, 250 party branches had passed the motion. Lean says it has since increased to 456.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/31/labor-to-propose-new-environmental-laws-to-enforce-biodiversity-and-conservation

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Lid posted:

The letter also delved into immigration policy, with Mr Clifford writing “young white Australians” were rebelling against the “hopeless Coalition leadership that has dragged down Australia since the 1970s”.
“They see a grim future for themselves and their children, of becoming a minority in their own country,” Mr Clifford wrote.
“Opening Australia to mass third-world immigration is not ‘moderate’. It is extremist.
“The fact that this policy has been followed by the Coalition parties for the last four decades does not make it moderate. It is treasonous.”

So he’s concerned about the future for white children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Gridlocked posted:

Also apparently I missed the report yesterday where Clive was in court over the Queensland Nickel shite and only a few weeks ago had dinner in Bulgaria with his wanted-by-the-AFP nephew

I’m not sure how they coordinated to be at the same place at the same time though, because apparently Palmer doesn’t have the phone number or any other method of contacting his nephew. :sigh:

It’s awesome that rich people can just lie under oath and keep all the money they scammed.

• Locked thread