Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Zenithe posted:

That kind of implies you were not allowed to ask to go permanent before this?

The change is the "reasonable grounds" thing, not the asking.

bell jar posted:

Lowering the work week from 38 hours to 34,

Or at least getting rid of the "reasonable overtime" loophole. My entire industry mandates 40 hours of billable time - and "patterns in the industry" is one of the tests for it being reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Big Mac index puts the purchasing power difference between euro zone and australia at about 5%

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

monkeu posted:

https://twitter.com/mirandadevine/status/1048729002389585920?s=21

Early education is a lefty conspiracy to teach them things like science and facts :argh:

I'm keen on punishing myself for some reason and the Google+incognito trick doesn't work on this article.
Someone want to do the needful and quote it here?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

monkeu posted:

https://twitter.com/mirandadevine/status/1048729002389585920?s=21

Early education is a lefty conspiracy to teach them things like science and facts :argh:

Found this gem in the thread

https://twitter.com/woolfe/status/1048798417634222080?s=19

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Dude McAwesome posted:

Can one of you informed people explain the Medicare freeze to me?

Is it basically that the Govt isn’t increasing the fee they pay to doctors and haven’t done so since 2013?

Yes

It's been like $37 since 2013 which means that more and more doctors are either reducing service to fit in more patients or abandoning bulk billing and taking a smaller Medicare rebate in exchange for ~$50 gap payments.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The best bit of the Medicare rebate freeze is that it is offloading GP visits onto emergency departments (and thus state govt budgets)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

JBP posted:

Rural Australia is a billion times spookier than anywhere else because of those cars.

Once again WA proves it is better than NSW by banning that type of bullbar.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

You Am I posted:

Because the government hates anyone who has an opposing view to them.

And coal is good for humanity*

*Offer void in low lying areas

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

APESMA I believe

Good luck though, it's gotta be the least unionised field around because it's full of libertarians

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

bell jar posted:

I doubt there is one. I haven't been able to find any unions for things like help desk/support which is where the solidarity is really needed. I don't think there's much in terms of unionism in the fygm world of programming.

Also a good proportion of devs choose to work as independent contractors, I literally had one turn down an offer of permanency 2 weeks ago.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Leading "No" campaigner and religious conservative Lyle Shelton says schools should not have the right to expel students simply for being gay - but should be able to do so if a student acts on that impulse by having sex.

Someone is mad about sodomy laws being repealed i see.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

racist
Public
Guy

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The other one is that anyone who borrowed to 80% lvr at the peak of the market will no longer have enough equity to refinance so they are stuck with whatever lender they chose for the foreseeable future.

Particularly since at the 5 year mark you still aren't paying off enough capital to keep above the 80% mark in a falling market.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Wow, scummo is gonna move the embassy to Jerusalem. What a turd

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

bell jar posted:

Nah jews are white now, that's why we have the word Judeo-Christian

I'm fairly certain that the 1488 crowd dont include Jews in with the whites.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

What loving backdoor?

Presumably the one where after they spend a number of years setting in, making a life, getting a job AND becoming citizens they are then free to come to Australia no questions asked.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Lid posted:

OH NO, OWN GOAL

I'm betting there is even worse stuff in there and beating on gay kids was them testing the waters.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Don Dongington posted:

2 kids, mortgage, car loans, means finding $500 to throw on a power bill isn't a trivial matter.

How do you get a $500 power bill? Electric hot water? I run aircon all the time in our 3 bed house with a small child and 270 for 2 months is a runaway bill for us.

Do you have led lights everywhere? They can be bought for a few bucks, last for years and use like 5W each.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

norp posted:

How do you get a $500 power bill? Electric hot water? I run aircon all the time in our 3 bed house with a small child and 270 for 2 months is a runaway bill for us.

Do you have led lights everywhere? They can be bought for a few bucks, last for years and use like 5W each.

Actually make that a $350 bill, I forgot to account for our solar power generating around 10kwh/day

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

bandaid.friend posted:

I have a quarterly bill for 633 in front of me but I am dumb and run an oil heater on max, like, the entire time I'm home. I use a quarter of the power in summer as winter

Yeah I know it's not winter anymore

Those things are terrible, you'd probably do better with a lovely portable reverse cycle dealy from Kogan.
I know an oil heater costs like $50 instead of $500 but you are converting 1kw of power into appx 1kw of heating. With the reverse cycle it's more like 1kw of power into 2.5kw of heating (at the low end)

You just said your normal bill is like $200, so presumably your heating bill is $600-800 a year - halving that is a big saving

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Kommando posted:

My girlfriend's apartment in Taipei cost her $3 a month in electricity in 2010.

Nuclear power it's cheap.

It really isn't
That is the government subsidising it.

Assuming a low usage of 3kWh/day that's around 3c/kWh - not even close to what full lifecycle costs are on nuclear. It's maybe close to the marginal wholesale cost

norp fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 19, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Well good thing Scott Morrison is a commercial entity and not a politician then

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

So the my health opt out period is about to run out, did they manage to fix the open-to-all thing in the laws?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

In what world is cleaning up after your own loving pet declared "denigrating"???

What a spoilt loving child

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

hidys posted:

Does this mean Dutton gets referred to the High Court now?

It's a distinct possibility, but I wouldn't count on it.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-22/coalition-mps-blame-leadership-spill-for-wentworth-loss/10402528?pfmredir=sm

Awesome, they aren't gonna learn a drat thing.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

:fork:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

(Idk how climate scientists are rent seeking but I saw a lot of liberal fans throwing it around in relation to Wentworth so I presume it's just a new term for them)

The logic goes like this:

- CO2 is invisible, it's air, etc
- emission trading schemes allow you to make money by being a middle man for trading air
- lefties want to decarbonise the economy
- therefore lefties want to be middlemen trading in the emission trading schemes
- middle men are rent seekers
- all lefties are rent seekers

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pot, kettle, etc

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Made the mistake of watching Q&A again.

Shouldn't this be bannable?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Hrnnnnngh :gizz:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

First of all we are getting kids off Nauru, we have been doing it for years. We’ve got hundreds of kids off Nauru and we’ll continue to do that in the way that we’ve been getting about it and we’ll continue to maintain the integrity of strong border protection policies. You don’t get kids off Nauru by putting more on, by having weak border policies. So that’s been a key focus.

They have been getting kids of Nauru in two key ways

1. Having them die
2. Having them get old enough to be classed as adults

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Count Chocula posted:

Other things my housemate believes: 9/11 was an inside job. The Roman Catholic Church invented Islam. Refugees get tons of money and housing and are treated really well, including the ones on Manus Island. The media is covering up a massive Muslim gang problem. The Virgin Mary was artificially inseminated by aliens. The Egyptian pyramids were generators for Tesla energy. Russian time travelers have gone back in time to ensure we live in the best timeline. White people were responsible for the American civil rights movement.

Clearly has better ideas than most of our current government.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Tokamak posted:

Weird that they stopped the boats and have been working hard to get kids off the island, but they're still there after five years.

If Labor hadn't put them there they wouldn't have to run these torture death camps at all!!!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

bandaid.friend posted:

Was Fozzie ever in Sesame Street?

I thought he was going for Muppets, I'm pretty sure sesame Street characters count as muppets

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

What's their hard-on for structuring these things as "future fund"s?

Seems like an unnecessary hoop for a government to bother going through

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Actually most coal plants are not dispatchable

Dispatchable means it can be turned on and off quickly, big coal generators are not that - they need to burn a bunch of diesel (and time) to actually light up the coal and get to temperature.

Things like gas turbines, batteries and hydro plants are what is classed as dispatchable power.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The article basically says lithium batteries are way cheaper than they expect to get.
Watch the concrete block thing go nowhere

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Jonah Galtberg posted:

To save Qld and WA from themselves

Don't you dare stop us digging up our state and selling it to china by the shipload.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

If turnbacks are so effective and nobody else has been put in detention, why do they need to find third countries for resettlement?
Surely we can just bring them here and it won't be a "pull factor"

• Locked thread