Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Sadly calling it got a recorded message saying it was disconnected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Canavan condemns business emissions self-regulation to meet Paris target

Minister says plan to coordinate climate response in absence of government policy interferes with democracy

Big business has entered discussions about a self-regulated suite of measures to help Australia meet its Paris commitments, weeks after the Morrison government abandoned the national energy guarantee.

The resources minister, Matt Canavan, accused Australia’s biggest energy companies of interfering in the democratic process, as climate experts and environmental groups lashed the government over the development on Thursday.

“We have a demonstrable way in Australia and western society of resolving fraught political disputes about energy. It’s called democracy and I don’t think the corporate sector is a replacement,” Canavan told a Sydney energy conference.

The discussions about an industry-wide package to help Australia meet its Paris commitments and provide investment certainty are taking place within the Business Council of Australia’s energy and climate change committee and were first reported by the Australian Financial Review.

Quoting industry sources, the paper said the suite of measures would be aimed at curbing emissions, improving reliability and providing investor certainty. Guardian Australia has confirmed discussions for a such a package have taken place.

The Business Council of Australia (BCA) was approached for comment.

Some experts welcomed news the business community was willing to step up to the plate after the government signalled it would focus solely on energy prices and reliability, and not emissions.

But they also lamented the development as a government failure.

“This is a sign of just how messed up the politics of climate and energy policy have become,” Frank Jotzo, the research director at the Australian National University Crawford school of public policy, told Guardian Australia.

“It shows us just how important it is to the business community to have sensible policy and predictable policy in place. Business would like government to … help that transition along rather than somehow stem the tide in a somewhat chaotic fashion.”

Dylan McConnell, of the University of Melbourne’s climate and energy college, told Guardian Australia it was a “reflection of the toxic politics around energy”.

“It’s a bit of a concern that we’re potentially heading to a self-regulation model around this,” he said, adding that he was sceptical of the BCA’s credibility on emissions reductions.

The Intergovermental Panel on Climate Change warned on Monday that the world had just 12 years to avoid climate change catastrophe.

The prime minister, Scott Morrison, on Thursday reiterated his confidence that Australia would meet its Paris commitments, a claim that has been contradicted by a wide range of experts.

Erwin Jackson, a senior climate change and energy adviser at Environment Victoria, said the possibility of an industry-led mechanism was “interesting to explore but the core challenge will be ensuring it has broad cross sectoral support”.

“It’s a damning indictment of the failure of the Coalition to come up with a credible and enduring climate policy,” he told Guardian Australia.

“Business by itself can’t deliver the certainty that the community and investors are going to need to drive the transition.”

Jotzo said it was “difficult to conceive of an actual scheme that would be implemented and run by industry alone”.

But he said the discussions would send a strong message to the government.

“When it comes to to anything that involves financial transactions, you need a policy framework to incentivise that,” Jotzo said.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

What loving backdoor?

I assume ship them over to NZ and then they just fly over here as NZ citizens

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

As if anyone with a brain would become a citizen of NZ and then decide to come back here

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Thank gently caress we did something right for once

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Don Dongington posted:

No solar, gas hot water and heating, LED lights everywhere. Partially because partner and kids have been home all day for the past 4 months, so tv on, lights on, server draws a bit I guess (can't afford a low power SOC so it's an i7 3770), but for a 4 bedroom house with someone up most of the time because baby, I wouldn't consider 500 to be that crazy. Gas is 200/month atm which is gross but I'm hoping it'll go down now the heater isn't running 24/7.

In my old place, 3 bed with reverse cycle, $700 bills weren't unheard of.

Yeah that's not far from our situation, except we don't have gas so everything's on electric.

Also iajWife earns a good wage so I get the fun of being a stay at home dad which is all kinds of awesome.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

aejix posted:

I lived in a share house with a bunch of mates with a pool when we were young and monumentally stupid and our first quarterly bill was around $2800. Who knew you didnt need to run the pool filter 24/7, use a stepladder and the bathroom heat lamp to dry yourself because someone stole all the towels, or sit partially nude on the couch in 40 degree heat with the windows open and the A/C set to 16????

Wait that's not the right way to cool down in summer

gently caress

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

aejix posted:

At least close the window you savage

But then how will Gizmo get in and out?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I've only fired guns my brother in law stole from the military when he was serving. Had some fun blowing up cans full of acetylene.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

As long as he had a hairnet on

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

These comedy shows just keep getting better

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Come on Bonner, let's not gently caress this up

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Anyone with an Australian sub able to post what they think the effects of Labor's negative gearing cuts are?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

Here's the first page, typed out from a paper copy:

Labor risks $12bn housing hit
Simon Benson, National Affairs Editor

Labor's $32 billion plan to end negative gearing for existing homes and slash the capital gains discount would lead to a fall in new housing construction of up to 42,000 dwellings over five years and 32,000 fewer jobs across the country, according to independent modelling of Bill Shorten's key property policies.

Warning of a significant contraction in housing supply, which could further strain the major capitals Sydney and Melbourne struggling to cope with population growth, the modelling forecasts a downturn in housing supply equivalent to accommodating 100,000 people.

A report commissioned by Master Builders Australia, using similar modelling techniques to that of the former Labor government's Henry Tax review, has forecast a potential $12bn downturn in construction activity in the first five years of the policy's implementation.

The report, based on independent peer-reviewed modelling conducted by Canberra-based Cadence Economics, suggests that with housing supply already contracting, Labor's policy to limit negative hearing to new homes and cut the capital gains tax discount from 50 per cent to 25 per cent would "exacerbate" the current downturn in the construction cycle.

In NSW, it would deliver a $1.4bn hit to building activity in the first year, representing a 6 per contraction in the sector.

In claims that housing construction conditions have weakened considerably since Labor's policy was released in February 2016 and the section is now more vulnerable to shocks.

Opposition Treasury spokesman Chris Bowen has been briefed by MBA on the modelling, which is the first assessment testing the impact of Labor's negative gearing and capital gains tax policies on construction jobs and housing supply rather than propery prices and rents.

The modelling, using worst and best-case scenarios, shows construction would fall by between 10,000 and 42,000 dwellings in the first five years from implementation. This would lead to between 7500 and 32,000 fewer jobs.

The value of the contraction to the industry is estimated at between $2.8bn and $11.8bn.

The contraction in renovation activity would be between $50 million and $210m.

When Labor's policy was devised more than two years ago, it was released against the backdrop of a heated property market.

Continued on page 6, which is where I'll leave the transcription.

Ta

Also why would limiting it to new houses have that much of a depressing effect on new builds? Wonder what the reasoning for that is.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, to that end... why was he even there?

Maybe there was a nice warm rock in the sun nearby and they just surprised him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

thatbastardken posted:

yeah i just looked at mine and shock horror, no gender!

But how do you know what gender you are? If the cops pull you over how do they know?

Madness!

• Locked thread