Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This will aid Morrison

CHANNEL 9 has swung the axe on the NRL Footy Show.

Nine has confirmed an initial report inThe Daily Telegraph that network executives have decided the concept will not return in any format in 2019.

CULTURE WARS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Bill Shorten policy promise to you - we've had Change, but have you tried I Can't Believe it's Not Change?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Scandaaaaaaaal

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Anidav posted:

It scares me how quickly they can transfer the gang issue to QLD. It's interesting, you get a cop mate to say a gang might exist and suddenly:

It's basically a free +2 boost in the polls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwhdDv8VrM

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I remember the anti Max Brenner protests around uni because they donate to the IDF

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

What the gently caress is he on about here?

He's asking what % of Australians make up the conservative Church base of the Liberal party as 36% is the total. He's very roundabout saying they are a very small insignificant minority and not the Liberal base.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

I know. It's piss weak poo poo masquerading as wink wink I'm smart.

I meant to include the word smarmy in there somewhere

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
DORMAMMU!

I've come to collective bargain!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Fairfax

How JP retired at 28 with millions after growing up poor

By JP Livingston

4 October 2018 — 10:42am

Tl:Dr left out she graduated from Harvard with zero debt and worked for a six figure income straight from harbard and this is to spruik her get rich quick scheme

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Yet another Liberal meeting will debate privatising the ABC, despite regular assurances from political leaders it won't be sold off.
The Tasmanian Liberal state council will be the latest to debate the issue, with one branch calling for the ABC's duties to be put out to tender.
Former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull was forced to insist the ABC would not be sold off when the federal Liberal council passed a motion calling for its sale in June.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Debate over alleged Chinese government interference in a Tasmanian local council race has divided the Greens, with the state party leader accused of “racist dog-whistling”.

An Australian Young Greens leader has called for the resignation of the party’s Tasmanian leader, Cassy O’Connor, after she linked the alleged interference to a Australian-Chinese Hobart City council candidate.

O’Connor, who has been a vocal critical of the Hodgman government’s relationship with the Chinese government, had warned last month there was a “growing body of extremely credible evidence” the Chinese Communist party was seeking to influence the council race.

O’Connor used a speech to parliament to draw attention to a candidate, Yongbei Tang, who is Chinese-Australian and was the editor of a newspaper that ran an article saying Australia was a country dominated by white people and urging Chinese-Australians to vote for Tang.

The Young Greens’ national co-convenor, Mark Clayton, accused O’Connor of “straight up racist dog-whistling” and called on her to resign.

“WTF are you doing in the Greens, the rest of us are fighting against racism and here you are standing side-by-side with Hanson,” he wrote in a tweet.

Clayton added that he supported O’Connor’s criticism of China’s human rights abuses but took issue “where you accuse Chinese-Australians in our communities as part of a grand conspiracy”.

“Students enrolling having a say in their city is an idea that we should be championing,” he said.

O’Connor stood by her comments, saying the accusations of racism were “false” and “a slur” and that her concerns were “backed by evidence”.

“These accusations (of racism) give succour to a totalitarian regime that’s oppressing around 14 M Uyghurs & Kazakhs, spies on its citizens wherever they live & runs influence ops in sovereign democracies like (Tasmania),” she wrote in a tweet.

Concerns in some quarters about Chinese foreign investment and potential political interference in Tasmania have grown in recent years.

The debate intensified last month after the Mercury newspaper reported that Tang had attended the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Congress last year.

The following day the Mercury reported that the paper headed by Tang had called on Chinese-Australians to back her in a bid to “put a nail in Tasmania’s politics”.

In her speech to parliament, O’Connor said Tang had “published extremely concerning statements” as editor of the Tasmanian Chinese News Network.

“The article in Chinese News Tasmania notes that ‘Australia is a society dominated by white people’ and called on Chinese people living in Tasmania to back Ms Tang’s election,” O’Connor said.

Tang, who is an Australian citizen, has stressed that she has no links or sympathies with the Chinese Communist party, appreciated Australian values and simply wanted to give back to the country.

Academic Clive Hamilton, a prominent critic of the Chinese government, said in a speech to a Hobart audience on Tuesday that the state’s “uncritical embrace” of Beijing meant it was a soft target for Chinese Communist party influence.

The dependence on Chinese demand in the education and tourism sectors meant Tasmania was vulnerable to economic coercion, he said.

The state government has dismissed the claims. The Tasmanian premier, Will Hodgman, told the Australian during a visit to Beijing last month that fears about Chinese influence in his state “don’t stack up”.

O’Connor was unavailable for comment. But a spokeswoman said the “Tasmanian Greens MPs’ offices haven’t received any critical correspondence from Chinese-Australians” in response to her comments.

This is a real wedge and the solution is going to have to involve appealing to Chinese-Australians, as again this argument is white people arguing racism vs not racism while the right and the Chinese Government run the narrative by actually talking to Chinese-Australians.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hambeet posted:

Wtf is happening in here

I posted something that is a real wedge issue and the thread wedged

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Re: Alan Jones having a fit

quote:

Racing NSW’s proposal, obtained by the Herald, includes projecting a list of runners onto one sail, while the horses selected in the barrier draw would be promoted on another sail.

Asked what she thought of the proposal, Ms Herron laughed. “Well what can you say? Just so inappropriate.”

Opposition leader Luke Foley supports the Racing NSW plan, and Federal Labor MP Anthony Albanese phoned into ABC Radio on Friday morning to say he supported the plan as well.

“People should chill out a bit,” Mr Albanese said. “The fact is that this race is beamed around the world. People do associate Sydney with the Sydney Opera House.”

Bipartisan tackery

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
IT CAME FROM NEWSCORP CAN YOU FIND THE CANDLES

Cash Confessions: On $215k we still struggle to make ends meet

LIVING in Townsville, 40-year-old Toby* and his wife Leanne* have worked hard to provide a comfortable lifestyle for their young family of three.

As parents of an eight-year-old son, their gross income is more than $215,000 a year, a figure more than $100,000 above the national household average.

But Toby, a finance manager, and Leanne, a teacher, say it’s just not enough.

But despite their above average income, and living in a regional centre, Toby says they still “struggle to make ends meet”.

“I am $80k net and my wife is $75k net,” he told news.com.au for Cash Confessions, where we ask Australians how much they earn and track how they spend it over a month.
“Which doesn’t feel like a huge income … and we aren’t able to save much at all … only around $5950 each year.

“Everyone has different circumstances, but we do not live a life of luxury. There’s no big holidays, or boats or houses. Our biggest expenses are education for our son, transportation and our personal loans each month.”

As a financial manager, Toby keeps a tight grip on his family’s expenditure each month to ensure they don’t dip into the red. But it’s the repayment of their $100,000 personal loan that hits their hip pocket the hardest each week. This includes paying off $46,000 on a Subaru Forrester bought in 2016, and $38,000 on a Hyundai i40.

“We pay $1000 each fortnight for the personal loan,” he said.

“The loan includes the cars, piano and some holidays.”

Along with the loan, Toby says they choose to spend more on rent as to live in a larger home in Townsville.

“Rent is quite expensive,” he said. “We spend $600 a week and the average would be around $400.

“There is a lot of crime up here, and we wanted to be in a nicer area. So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course. But we can’t afford to buy … we don’t even have a deposit. While we would like to one day, we don’t know where to cut expenses. Education ($866/month) is important to us.

While two cars was a big drain on their annual incomes, Toby said the household couldn’t function with one.

Each month, the pair will spend close to $2000 each month on repayments, fuel, registration, insurance and servicing for their fleet.

Toby said his family had no other choice.
“We really need two cars,” he explained.

“My wife needs one for her work … and I need one to drop off and pick up our son and for work.

“They are a big hole for us … but everyone has different circumstances.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Axel Ferguson posted:

It's kinda lousy to poo poo on someone's personal finances as this is really common. However, just stop taking out personal loans. Have two small cars, purchase stuff outright. Who takes out loans for holidays?

And unless you're running a business from home you really don't need to have a 5 bedroom house. You're right that is some horrendous financial planning. I suppose if you're part of that industry there's a good chance you buy into that sort of stuff.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

It's not lovely to poo poo on someone on six figures a year, in townsville, complaining that they are just getting by battlers. If you're on that money you can be aware you're privileged and if you're just getting by there is a serious error in play here, not that Society Is Too Hard and needing to talk to the media about how hard it is.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

And now I want to play Grim Fandango

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
So why did Albo side with the horse racers while Shorten is taking the position of the opera house isn't a billboard. The hell is going on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Albo's since backtracked a bit, either because he didn't know the specifics of what was requested or because he realised disagreeing with Shorten over something like this was a bad idea.

My bet is he backed Foley before realising I'm backing Luke Foley what the gently caress am I doing.

It's nice this bipartisan supported policy has unified nsw against both parties.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
http://imgur.com/Jd6N9oK

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

Disgraced anaesthetist Dr James Peters will challenge his conviction for infecting 55 women with hepatitis C, because he claims the disease has become less harmful since he was charged in 2011.
Peters, 68, who is serving a 14-year sentence at Ararat prison, recently lodged an application in the Court of Appeal that will attempt to overturn 55 counts of negligently causing serious injury, to which he pleaded guilty.
His bid for a retrial is expected to argue the charges were inappropriate because significant improvements in the treatment of hepatitis C over the past five years had reduced the severity and impact of his offending.
Peters, who knew he had hepatitis C, pleaded guilty in the Supreme Court in 2013 to infecting his patients by injecting himself with pre-filled syringes of fentanyl – an opioid used in general anaesthesia – in theatre at Croydon Day Surgery.
He then used the same syringe to administer the remainder of the dose to the women as they underwent pregnancy terminations.

Yeah nah

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg has poured cold water on the NSW premier's call to halve her state's immigration intake, saying Australia is a "proud migrant nation".

Behind Western Europe I believe the highest migrant numbers are from China, both groups which Liberals see as forming their current and possibly future electoral base. They do not want them to stop and the dogwhistle attempt is being shut down from up high by pointing out "these people vote for us you loving dipshits".

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

hambeet posted:

oh wait here's my local liberal candidate.

sheesh

lol at the image name "RyanFarrow_hero.jpg"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Voting undermines the will of the people – it's time to replace it with sortition

Our representative form of government divides us but installing ordinary people at the heart of power would be transformative

Tim Dunlop

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/oct/14/voting-undermines-the-will-of-the-people-its-time-to-replace-it-with-sortition

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

bandaid.friend posted:

He doesn't say in the article how the sortition would diminish the power of lobbyists or transform the way the media covers politics. Brexit comes to mind. It wasn't even a sample of the population that decided that one. Why would the media suddenly begin acting in the interests of Australians? The sortition'd just assure half the new chamber would vote however Seven and News Corp wanted them to

Maybe the real issue behind the wealthy elites controlling government, is the system where all the wealth and power is concentrated in people who've no interest in the welfare of regular people

The real issue is politicians are now people who follow it as c areer straight from university politics clubs rather than people of substance who go into politics for an ethos. This is why "straight shooters" from right wing groups appeal to some, because they arent part of the machine.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

Do goths still exist in high schools it seems pretty 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qay_B3WHW-g

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

The New South Wales government has been accused of kowtowing to the powerful gambling lobby twice in a week – this time over curbs on poker machine harm.

Amid the furore over horse-racing advertising on the Sydney Opera House sails, the premier, Gladys Berejiklian, has signed a new four-year poker machine memorandum of understanding with Clubs NSW.

Berejiklian has pledged to not increase gambling taxes should her government win the next state election in March.

That feeling when you're drowning and all you can see is blackness around you without knowing which way is up so you swim further down because you just don't know to seal your fate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

So what can we take away from the religious freedoms review?

Well, so far it has been a massive own-goal.

In attempting to expand religious freedoms, the hard right have inadvertently drawn attention to discriminations which already exist, and now that the public is looking at them, they’re not agreeing with it. And so, it looks like they’ll be removed.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

quote:

The New South Wales Young Nationals has expelled one member and suspended two others after revelations the group had been infiltrated by members of Australia’s alt-right movement.

On Sunday the ABC’s Background Briefing revealed that members of the NSW Young Nationals were members of the Lads Society, a far-right fight club whose leaders include the prominent alt-right figure Blair Cottrell.

The Young Nationals – including one member of the party executive – were or had also been members of a Facebook group called the New Guard, whose followers include self-described fascists.

Membership to the party’s youth organisation has also been temporarily suspended.

On Monday the deputy premier and leader of the NSW Nationals, John Barilaro, admitted his party may have been an “easy target” for members of the far-right seeking to influence mainstream politics.

Well that was fast.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The suspensions are against Clifford Jennings, party executive and Lisa Sandford, fundraising officer.

Lisa Sandford is this charming lady

https://thewhiterosesociety.writeas.com/neo-nazi-lisa-sandford-elected-to-nsw-young-nationals-executive-assisted-by

Can't find who was expelled.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
how is Michaelia Cash still a thing

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The leader of the Tasmanian Greens has doubled down over a Hobart council candidate's alleged links to China's Communist Party, telling party colleagues accusing her of racism to "do their research", as the woman at the centre of the row revealed she has been targeted by slurs.

Australian citizen Yongbei Tang, who is standing at this month's Tasmanian local government elections, has strenuously denied being influenced by China through her links to the Australian Council for the Promotion of Peaceful Reunification of China (ACPPRC), a group widely regarded as an arm of China's Communist Party and formerly run by prominent political donor Huang Xiangmo — the man at the centre of the foreign donations scandal which brought down Labor Senator Sam Dastyari.

Loopholes in legislation allowing for non-citizens of Australia to vote in Tasmanian local government elections led to some, including former Hobart lord mayor Sue Hickey, to complain of the potential for the voting roll to be stacked by candidates.

The legislation also allows for business owners to vote twice.

Ms Tang has categorically denied membership of or influence from China's Communist Party, and has said she resigned from her vice-chair role with the ACPPRC earlier in the year.

In September, she was quoted by News Corporation as saying: "I am very grateful for the chance to be an Australian citizen, my children have grown up here and I appreciate Australian values ... I just want to give back. I am not a member of the Chinese Communist Party. I'm a good Australian citizen".

Ms Tang has said the media storm around her council candidacy, including an open letter from a group of Hobart-based Chinese Australians saying she did not represent their interests, had taken a heavy emotional toll, culminating in her election signs being defaced with racist slurs over the weekend.

But Greens Leader Cassy O'Connor today rejected accusations from within her own party that she had indulged in "dog whistling" politics and reaffirmed she had based her comments on assessments from Australia's security agency ASIO.

"Anybody who knows me knows that I don't have a racist bone in my body," she told ABC Hobart this morning.

In September, Ms O'Connor told the Tasmanian Parliament Ms Tang had authored an article in Chinese News Tasmania newspaper, which she said included passages translated from the original Mandarin to English such as "Australia is a society dominated by white people" and "one councillor is far from enough ... we need to put a nail in Tasmania's politics and add another one four years later ... we have dominated business circles, now we need to establish ourselves in politics".

She singled out Ms Yongbei Tang as the editor of the newspaper, adding the article represented "a fundamental misunderstanding of democratic parliaments in the Westminster system".

Ms O'Connor today told ABC Hobart her comments were based on "compelling evidence of a programme of interference in domestic politics by the Chinese communist government" and were not based on Ms Tang's ethnicity.

"I believe in human diversity because diversity gives us strength and it's really unfortunate that those people who've said those really awful things haven't gone to the trouble to inform themselves of the body of evidence of Chinese government interference in domestic politics," Ms O'Connor said.

She said Chinese interference in foreign governments was something "from Canada to the USA, New Zealand, Australia, we know this is happening".

Ms O'Connor, who served as multicultural affairs minister in the former Labor-Green Tasmanian government said she was "an ex-journalist by training, I am inquisitive and I do my research".

Criticisms from fellow Greens, including Hobart council candidate Holly Ewin — who described Ms O'Connor as "somebody I admire and respect greatly ... still capable of stuffing up" — were wrong, Ms O'Connor said, suggesting such comments were "hard to bear".

"When these accusations come from people who haven't taken the time to do the research, they're difficult to bear but because I know it's not true and because I know we have a duty to defend democracy and we are committed to taking this further because democracy is very fragile."

While condemning the racist slurs being directed towards Ms Tang, Ms O'Connor said she bore no personal responsibility for the attacks over Ms Tang's Chinese heritage and laid the blame with the "nasty, right-wing elements of our country who would want to make this about race".

"Some people would like to put that personal responsibility on me, but I think it's important to remember that we have had other candidates run for election in Tasmania and they too have experienced racism," she said, naming candidate Zelinda Sherlock and Labor senator Lisa Singh.

Ms O'Connor said "there is a small and deeply unpleasant element of our community and it doesn't take much to trip them off".

'I feel disgusted, sad and ashamed'

Ms O'Connor said while Ms Tang, a resident of almost 20 years, had denied undue influence from China, she would take guidance from Australia's intelligence community which has linked two organisations Ms Tang has had previous associations as part of the "global propaganda arm of the Chinese government".
Ms Tang said the storm over her candidacy had caused her stress and she declined to be interviewed, instead issuing a statement:
"My campaign poster located in New Town was vandalised with a racist slur. I feel very disgusted, sad and ashamed.

"I believe that most Tasmanians are kind and welcoming people to our diverse country.

"So, I'd like acknowledge it's not the majority of Tasmanians but a select few who have these racist thoughts."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Except the Looneys are tories and always have been.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The Liberal candidate for Wentworth, Dave Sharma, has said “he is open” to relocating Australia’s embassy to Jerusalem as the US has done, in contrast to the official policy of both the Liberals and Labor to leave it in Tel Aviv.

As the battle in the Wentworth byelection enters its final week, the votes of the large Jewish community that lives in Wentworth could be crucial to whether the Liberals hold the seat. There are around 20,000 Jewish people in Wentworth, according to the 2016 census, making up 12.5% of the population.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

drunkill posted:

Libs now claiming voting for a nazi slogan was a mistake, that they meant to vote against the bill but christian porters office told them to vote for it.

I highly doubt this. Nazi fucks.

I buy it because they're throwing the attorney general under the bus

https://twitter.com/ljayes/status/1051947208403083264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/PaulineHansonOz/status/1051962905581604865?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Porters trying to find his officers hitlerjugend to throw under the bus because if he doesn't it's on his head

quote:

An early email advising an approach on the motion went out from my office on this matter without my knowledge.
It appears that, of the very large number of motions on which my office’s views are routinely sought, this one was not escalated to me because it was interpreted in my office as a motion opposing racism. The associations of the language were not picked up. Had it been raised directly with me those issues would have been identified.
As Minister Cormann said this morning this was the result of an administrative error, including on the part of my office.
Naturally I’m reviewing the processes in my office to prevent such an administrative error in the future. Having been part of an error that put Senator Ruston in a very difficult position a tweet from my office condemning all forms of racism was meant as nothing more than support for that same proposition which Senator Ruston, despite being placed in a difficult position, put in the Senate that the Government condemns all forms of racism.”

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I think they realised that endorsing white power at the same time as floating they'll move the embassy to Jerusalem may give mixed messages to the Jewish population in Wentworth.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/tom_allard/stat...h-politics-live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5GFtUFODm4

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://twitter.com/davidlipson/status/1052067823902580736

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
TAFE training facilities and Service NSW kiosks could be located inside registered clubs across the state, under a deal struck between the NSW government and the powerful clubs lobby that also maintains the special tax treatment for the pokies industry for another four years.

The agreement between the Coalition and Clubs NSW, signed at the conclusion of Responsible Gambling Awareness Week at the weekend, has reignited criticism from anti-gambling advocates over the government's relationship with the clubs lobby.

• Locked thread