Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Nthing folks as a useful substitute for 'guys'

Sorry that offends your fragile sensibilities Auspol, but I'm just not ready to walk into a room and say 'HEELO FELLOW HUMANS'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

BrigadierSensible posted:

I can't believe none of youse blokes and sheilas suggested "cobbers" as an alternative for "folks".

It makes me toe-y as a roman sandal by jingo by crikey it does.

gently caress sake, it's scomo again

SHOO! Get out! Don't you have a country to ru(i)n or something?!

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NPR Journalizard posted:

The royal commission into banking? All the infrastructure spending? Tax reform?

Not explicitly condemning Sally McManus and her industrial reform campaign is fairly radical for this media environment.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It's going to be fun watching both major political parties self destruct by ignoring the priorities of their larger support bases and the Greens still not being able to get a second MHR.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean I wouldn't go to an election with a massive national security target painted on my head either.

Get elected, get some points on the board, THEN start dismantling the surveillance state.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bell jar posted:

quote:

Retailers are fuming over the “disastrous” decision, expressing grave concern for the industry ahead of Christmas trading.

“Retailers usually thrive during the Christmas period. However, this year I’m concerned many retailers will bear the brunt of an unjust and detrimental decision,” Australian Retailers Association executive director Russell Zimmerman said.

Man they're not even trying to pretend that they give a gently caress about anything but raw profits anymore, are they.

WHO THE gently caress DO YOU THINK BUYS MOST OF YOUR poo poo, YOU PATHETIC FUCKWEASELS.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

bandaid.friend posted:

Won't they just stop giving work to casuals who've been there eleven months?

Well the next step is allowing casual staff access to wrongful dismissal clauses. Oddly, considering how stacked the FWC has been since Abbott won power, and the recent decisions around terminating EBAs and various other employer-friendly rulings, they seem to be moving in that direction.

Honestly, if you can't demonstrate good reason for terminating or reducing a casual's hours to zero while the workload remains (aka spill and fill), there's no real justification to not have some sort of protection there. If employers insist on making everyone casual, then we have to change what that means for the humans who are trying to survive under those conditions.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

There are already loads of agreements that mandate casual conversion at set times or percentage of workforce. If you shitcan people at 11 months to avoid that responsibility you will end up in fair work. It should be the same here, but it's going to be a lot of poorly informed/represented people rather than organised workforces with EBAs, so I can't imagine there will be many cases but you never know.

That's true, but I'm going to assume they're less common in the retail sector, where the SDA has been the sole representative for workers for time immemorial.

I expect this may start changing under the right conditions - say RAFFWU taking a larger role in bargaining, Sally McManus' ACTU leadership, and a potential reworking or replacement of the FWA to allow unions to bargain from a stronger position.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Both NSW and Vic have elections coming up soon. I think the Federal Coalition's best hope is that voters take out all their anger on the state parties.

Or the "well it's never a good idea to let one party control everything, so-" crowd come out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The best advice re: NSW is "don't".

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

:itwaspoo:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey all flying to Melbourne in an hour will let you know how many African gangs I see yw

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Trip report: no gangs so far. Did have to share the front of a 737 with Matt Canavan though.

I need several showers.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Update: currently walking up St Kilda road. No apex gangs yet. Will continue to update until I am inevitably captured and held to ransom because Melbourne is the new Rio

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I admire your optimism, but I think they would gain just as many votes from opposing offshore detention than they have by supporting it.

I do hope you're right, and I believe even if they keep Nauru open, I believe they will probably put a stop to the more heinous practices (which Dutton/Morrison will immediately attribute to an increase in maritime arrivals but perhaps this time nobody will care I don't know).

But they had a pretty lovely record during the Gillard/Rudd 2.0 years so don't get too hopeful.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

That's not the point at all and they were interviewing the opposition leader in the lead up to an election. Believe it or not, people care about school funding for their own children as well as knowing offshore detention Is Bad.

e: basically saying lets allow a potentially good policy to be poo poo canned and pilloried by Murdoch while other avenues of inquiry do the exact same thing and bang on about something else irrelevant until the LNP wins because "there's no difference between the two anyway".

that and the minister actually responsible won't let the ABC interview him because he's a hyperpartisan fuckwit.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Both are possible. It only took a clear out of Anna Bligh in Queensland to get an acceptable Labor Government after Campbell Newman and currently Queensland is in the middle of legalising abortion, something that wasn't previously thought possible under prior state governments. The LNP will always hear their master's voice in the IPA but when Labor gets a good clean out you would be surprised that the result is sometimes better rather than worse.

TBH The current Labor govt aren't really very good. Aren't they still hellbent on approving the Adani mine?

Granted, the Andrews govt. want to give tanks to cops and the McGowan govt also wants to give tanks to cops also is continuing Barnett's tactic of bleeding the public sector so it's not a great comparison, but at least they both pretend to care about the environment.

Arguably the most important issue at present.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Psst! Hey kid, wanna change the fuckin' rules?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

aejix posted:

*kramers in to the room*

Did somebody say cocaine

Vetereans of the auspol IRC channel will verify that this is, in fact, my line.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Update: day 3. Still remain free from apex gang custody.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem is vastly overstated,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Day 4: strange things are happening to me. At night I roam the streets looking for public barbecues and stereos to use. I fear that I am the apex gang.

*Mike Nahan's pants begin to twitch*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
NSW and everything in it is poo poo, HTH.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I think I convinced my taxi driver to start a union on the way home.

I guess he'll be found dead or on the dole by the end of the week.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Bill shortens fair dinkum dinki di true blue old mate fair go she'll be right bobs your uncle stone the crows gently caress me dead rooty-tooty action plan

Hey wait there's something under the name "Bill Shorten" here

*Peels off sticker*

SCOTT MORRISON

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Liberal's messaging is just further dog whistling to lovely boomer/gen x sentiment that anyone who can't afford a house or manage to not live pay to pay are lazy stupids afraid of hard work.

I'm not sure what Labor are trying to do other than troll the gently caress out of the Liberals, which TBH is fine by me because I'm only voting for them as a second preference anyway.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Where's Tony :s

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Dude McAwesome posted:

Whenever you see someone use the term “inner city elites”, chances are they’re an rear end in a top hat.

Why would she join the Labor party if she holds these views? Bizarre. Really bizarre.

Because you know that one gen X single dad on your friends list who frequently posts lovely right wing thinkpieces prefaced with 'I've always said the biggest problem with the left is...", But proudly supports Labor come election time? The one who shares every single negative article about the greens with no comment (unless it's about SHY)? You know that guy? Mr 'Sensible Centre'?

That's most of the Labor right.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean maybe not on purpose,

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Don Dongington posted:

Because you know that one gen X single dad on your friends list who frequently posts lovely right wing thinkpieces prefaced with 'I've always said the biggest problem with the left is...", But proudly supports Labor come election time? The one who shares every single negative article about the greens with no comment (unless it's about SHY)? You know that guy? Mr 'Sensible Centre'?

That's most of the Labor right.

Albo is slowly becoming this guy. Except for the greens sledging, that's been going on for years.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Amoeba102 posted:

Kitching flipped a coin a joined a major party. It's not about acheiving anything other than a pay packet.

I don't think it's quite so random - it's clearly about who she knew at the time, but yes definitely nothing to do with her personal politics/worldview/lack of a soul

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I really wish Chris Kenny would stop indulging in his pets quite so much

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The thing I look forward the most to in the 2018 election is the increasingly likely removal of Cory Bernardi and Senator Lionhat from public office.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

It was a psyop to ban guns.

I love that Port Arthur is a conspiracy, but the Tampa/Children overboard affairs are cool and good and had nothing to do with keeping an unpopular government in power.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If weed isn't legalised then testing to see if you've had it in your system at any point is valid, I guess

If it were legalised they'd have to change to measuring impairment level in some way

Driving under the influence of weed and actually being in possession of weed (because AFAIK that's what they charge you with even if they catch you ripping a bong?) are two very different offences. Depending on your locality, the latter may be a much more minor offence.

I've never heard of anyone being charged for being stoned, it's always for having the prohibited substance in ones possession. It brings up an interesting argument, because feasibly if you're not impaired at the time of the test, and you're not in possession of anything, the court can't convict you under any existing laws without really stretching the word of the law?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

I will vote for the next politician I see grab a pot and drink 1/3rd of it in one go, then say "ah, not bad".

*Sally McManus strides into the room, flanked by Michele O'Neil and former president-cum-ALP MP Ged Kearny*

"Pint. Coopers."

And a hero was born.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm predicting that Morrison's unwavering dedication to religious freedom LGBTIQA+ discrimination will deliver Labor the electoral free kick it needs to continue to be utterly lovely and stacked with right wing shitheels.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

If you've got a Paypal account, disconnect all your payment methods from it. Friday night some asswipe got around their supposedly secure two factor authorisation and drained my bank account into some bitcoin bullshit, and now 5 days later paypal has denied my claim with no appeal, still says I owe them more money, and I'm unemployed with -$90 in my bank account.

Can your bank not reverse the charges? Thinking maybe I should book mine up via visa debit as opposed to direct debit now...

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

norp posted:

APESMA I believe

Good luck though, it's gotta be the least unionised field around because it's full of libertarians

This is actually starting to turn around. Very slowly, but with the rampant undiluted capitalism in silicone valley, a lot of what would be techbros are starting to talk about collective organising. They might not use the word 'union' for a while, but they're already starting grass roots associations.

Australia being 5 years behind the rest of the world in anything tech means it probably won't hit here for a while.

Edit: ironically it'll probably be the help desk and level 2/3 support staff that lead the charge. I managed 60% density in the helpdesk I used to work on, because the conditions were so poor.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Budget cuts, we're all NSW now.

*57 unevenly spaced gunshots ring out*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean, shorten supporting the NZ offer is the most the ALP have done since 2012.

It's not enough, but it's a step forward, which I welcome over the alternative, which is more lovely bipartisan natsec theatre and dogwhistling

• Locked thread