Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Wow I can't believe Dr. Stange is a ~~Satanist~~! He typically sticks to good Christian elder gods like Hoggoth and Cyttorak when channeling spells!

I can't decide if it's weird or absolutely fitting that Crimson Bands of Cyttorak is a binding spell, and Juggernaut gets his unstoppable powers also from Cyttorak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/dysart_james/status/1057442059064233984

I don't even know where to start with this. I can't think of a better example of someone pretending to care about comics they've never read.1) The Order is a comic where Dr. Strange and the rest of the original Defenders decide the best way to Defend Earth is to conquer it, (basically an early version of Marvel's Illuminati) AKA, they already evil. 2) How many times has Dr. Strange made deals with evil beings over the years? There are multidimensional Lovecraftian horrors that don't have enough fingers or other appendages to count the number of times that happened.

This gently caress has been going around starting poo poo with all sorts of creators. He claims JMS, Bendis, and various others ripped off Sins Past, House of M, and Miles Morales from his lovely fanfic he emailed somebody at Marvel about Peter getting stuck in an alternate reality where there are no heroes, marrying Gwen, and having a kid. Somehow Erik Larsen is involved too, and is a babykilling pedophile who loves the terrorist Obama. He's either trolling, completely off his gourd, or both.

E: Also, he should not be confused with Joshua Dysart, who as far as I'm aware is cool and not crazy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

This gently caress has been going around starting poo poo with all sorts of creators. He claims JMS, Bendis, and various others ripped off Sins Past, House of M, and Miles Morales from his lovely fanfic he emailed somebody at Marvel about Peter getting stuck in an alternate reality where there are no heroes, marrying Gwen, and having a kid. Somehow Erik Larsen is involved too, and is a babykilling pedophile who loves the terrorist Obama. He's either trolling, completely off his gourd, or both.

E: Also, he should not be confused with Joshua Dysart, who as far as I'm aware is cool and not crazy.

Oh, it's like that woman who claimed both the Terminator films and the Matrix films were ripped off something she wrote in the 80's (which is ridiculous, they were ripped off from stuff Harlan Ellison wrote in the 70's).

Stephen Frye has a story about being with JK Rowling at a signing appearance for like the 5th book or something (he did all the audiobooks) and people would try and hand her their stories and there was someone there who's entire job was to physically intercept them before Rowling could touch them just to avoid this kind of thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Oh, it's like that woman who claimed both the Terminator films and the Matrix films were ripped off something she wrote in the 80's (which is ridiculous, they were ripped off from stuff Harlan Ellison wrote in the 70's).

Stephen Frye has a story about being with JK Rowling at a signing appearance for like the 5th book or something (he did all the audiobooks) and people would try and hand her their stories and there was someone there who's entire job was to physically intercept them before Rowling could touch them just to avoid this kind of thing.

Which is kind of funny because Rowling totally ripped off Books of Magic :smuggo:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

Which is kind of funny because Rowling totally ripped off Books of Magic :smuggo:

There's like a bazillion stories about a young kid finding out they have magic powers, and they don't really share any plot beats. Neil Gaiman says she wasn't ripping him off and I think it's unlikely a single mother in the mid 90's was spending much time in comic book stores.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pratchett was heavily involved in Discworld groups on Usenet in the early 90s but had to quit when people started accusing him of stealing their ideas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pratchett was heavily involved in Discworld groups on Usenet in the early 90s but had to quit when people started accusing him of stealing their ideas.

That poo poo happened so much on usenet that DC still has a policy to this day that writers under their employ can't look at any fan works lest they be accused of stealing ideas.

Extremely bad writers with gigantic egos think everyone's out to steal their very lovely ideas.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

There's like a bazillion stories about a young kid finding out they have magic powers, and they don't really share any plot beats. Neil Gaiman says she wasn't ripping him off and I think it's unlikely a single mother in the mid 90's was spending much time in comic book stores.

I know. I was just making a snide jokey remark. Chances are the Rowling probably had never even heard of Books of Magic.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Madkal posted:

Tying the whole thing together, I think was Pratchett accused of stealing from Harry Potter too, but this always happens with whatever is popular at the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

I'm probably the one person who actually likes the masked version of Doctor Strange

I love superman strange

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/dysart_james/status/1057442059064233984

I don't even know where to start with this. I can't think of a better example of someone pretending to care about comics they've never read.1) The Order is a comic where Dr. Strange and the rest of the original Defenders decide the best way to Defend Earth is to conquer it, (basically an early version of Marvel's Illuminati) AKA, they already evil. 2) How many times has Dr. Strange made deals with evil beings over the years? There are multidimensional Lovecraftian horrors that don't have enough fingers or other appendages to count the number of times that happened.

I'm bloated from Halloween candy, so just pretend I posted a panel from a Lee/Ditko Dr. Strange issue where he invokes Satanish.

Not really Satan, Satanish.

Madkal posted:

I know. I was just making a snide jokey remark. Chances are the Rowling probably had never even heard of Books of Magic.

I wouldn't be shocked if she has by now given how many times it's come up and Gaiman is a legit big name author even if he's not the biggest name author like she is. But Harry Potter is from a long line of boarding school fiction in British children's literature.

Besides Rowling definitely stole it from that one guy's self-published book where he used the word "muggle".

Seriously, though, anything successful brings the crazies out who are sure that it was stolen from their completely unknown stuff. And it never helps that nerds tends to credit concepts to the first place that they encountered them no matter how long of a history the idea actually has.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 1, 2018

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously, though, anything successful brings the crazies out who are sure that it was stolen from their completely unknown stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Low effort November thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3873105

• Locked thread