Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alvarez IV posted:

Shaving my head, borrowing a wheelchair, and puttering around all day in a sweater and tie while pretending to be able to read minds.

I have a wheelchair handy for emergency halloween costumes and a brand new black suit. Not shaving the head though.

I'm probably just gonna go with "Christmas Party I'm Not Daredevil Matt Murdock" again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

I have a wheelchair handy for emergency halloween costumes and a brand new black suit. Not shaving the head though.

I'm probably just gonna go with "Christmas Party I'm Not Daredevil Matt Murdock" again.

Nah switch it up:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recently re-read that great Walter Simonson issue of Fantastic Four where Reed and Doom have a time travelling fight and was very distracted by how Doom addresses Reed by his first name a lot rather than RICHAAAAAARRRRRDS.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
My computer sucks and loading pics is hard but for past halloweens my costumes were:

Commander Abe Zero (1950's Buck Rodgers styled spaceman)
Surfer Joker from the Batman 60's show
Spider-Nam from James Stokoes awesome Spider-Nam drawings
The Chimney Sweeper - a made up Batman 60's villain

Usually I go all in cheap fun creating with costumes, and sometimes I just use old costumes in new ways (like this year doing Freestyle Spiderman which is a take on Spiderman mixed in with with 1980's freestyle dancing). Even though I keep saying I will stop doing halloween stuff every year, I seem to get drawn in.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1054203130873892864

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

My computer sucks and loading pics is hard but for past halloweens my costumes were:

Commander Abe Zero (1950's Buck Rodgers styled spaceman)
Surfer Joker from the Batman 60's show
Spider-Nam from James Stokoes awesome Spider-Nam drawings
The Chimney Sweeper - a made up Batman 60's villain

Usually I go all in cheap fun creating with costumes, and sometimes I just use old costumes in new ways (like this year doing Freestyle Spiderman which is a take on Spiderman mixed in with with 1980's freestyle dancing). Even though I keep saying I will stop doing halloween stuff every year, I seem to get drawn in.

I tend to get the costume thing out of my system with NYCC and don't dress up for Halloween. So here's what I've dressed as for NYCC over the past several years:

- Bizarro Clark Kent
- Fred Flintstone
- Wreck-It Ralph
- Tommy Wiseau (I bought an old, terrible Bret Hart mask for $5 and thought it looked more like Wiseau, so sure)
- The Shockmaster
- Pentagon Jr.
- Leonard Ghostal (Space Ghost's grandfather as played by Randy Savage)
- The Skittles Pox guy (couples costume)
- Senor Cardgage
- Juggernaut from Deadpool 2 with his butt hanging out, as posted earlier

Other ones I intend to do maybe next year include Big Boss Man, Dropo the Laziest Man on Mars (with possible Dropo Claus the day after) and a couple costume with my fiancée where she's Lisa Simpson as Florida and I'm Ralph Wiggum as Idaho.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I haven't really dressed up properly for Halloween the last 5 years since Scream Stream takes up all my free time in October, but the last costume I wore was Mendez from Resident Evil 4. I'd been growing my beard out super long at the time and decided shaving my head was less annoying than shaving the beard.

I mean I put on some cheap poo poo to hand out candy on Halloween proper but that's not a real costume.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

so one of the main reasons I haven't read comics in a while is because I just have no idea where to start with so many different books coming out. like, if I wanted to get into what's happening with X-Men and Spider-Man, where would I start?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/1055610485356326913

grieving for Gandalf posted:

so one of the main reasons I haven't read comics in a while is because I just have no idea where to start with so many different books coming out. like, if I wanted to get into what's happening with X-Men and Spider-Man, where would I start?

It's a pretty good jumping on time for both.
Amazing Spider-Man just had a relaunch and there will soon be a weekly Uncanny X-Men limited series that will break off into fresh monthly books.
Spidey: https://comicstore.marvel.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-2018/comics-series/117959
X-Men: https://comicstore.marvel.com/Uncanny-X-Men-2018-1/digital-comic/49769

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 26, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It wasn't mine, but there was a cosplayer on the forums who did an awesome and unique Jason Voorhees. He had the bag version, but pulled tight around his head, and then wore the hockey mask over it. It was incredible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized I've read 400+ issues of 2000ad, most of it in the last six months or so

Help I'm trapped

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

grieving for Gandalf posted:

2000ad #2100 which just came out a couple weeks ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anybody know what this is from?
https://twitter.com/devilintime/status/1055614732936323072

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/slicedfriedgold/status/1055319482862837760

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Depending on the year that might actually be a really bad bet.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Probably just a commission.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The funniest thing about that (for me) is that the card shown is Juggernaut. Noted non-mutant that most people think is a mutant.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

It's the cover to a book called The Marvel Art of Mike Deodato Jr.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just read the Dredd strip in prog 2100 and y'all now is the time to jump on. Read Trifecta from a few years back, which you should read anyway, and then grab 2100 and hold on tight. I've never been so excited for a Dredd story and I've read 430 progs as of today

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A Strange Aeon posted:

CANNON

Wallace Wood

Programmed to be the perfect assassin and working as a covert operative, John Cannon, endures nude torture by beautiful women, explosive gunplay, naked catfights, Hitler, nihilistic love-making, nuclear bombs, weasel the spy, and more naked women in these comic adventures. Includes Overseas Weekly, Heroes Inc., and others. In B&W.

Is Wallace Wood Wally Wood?
And could this be any good?

I read this a while ago and while it is good it does just kind of end without any resolution. It's got a crazy premise as the main character, Cannon, was a U2 pilot who's plane crashed in the Soviet Union and he is brainwashed into killing American scientists. He's caught before he can but instead of fixing the brainwashing the US government instead brainwashes him even further so he becomes the ultimate killing machine.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Pretty sure that’s the 93 set. I wish I had a scanner because I’d love to do a thread about 90’s Marvel trading cards.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Which set had Larry Devries do a bunch because Devries was amazing and my friends never appreciated him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Pretty sure that’s the 93 set. I wish I had a scanner because I’d love to do a thread about 90’s Marvel trading cards.

I bet every set has been digitized by someone. Make that thread!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Yeah, I have a bunch in binders and like every page of 9 cards has 4 or 5 90s characters no one has thought about in 30 years.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I have a bunch in binders and like every page of 9 cards has 4 or 5 90s characters no one has thought about in 30 years.

It's nice to think back on them as a time capsule of who was considered high profile enough to merit a card. I remember having the 1992 set as a kid and thinking Maelstrom was an incredibly big deal, when really he was just currently wrapped in a Quasar arc. IIRC the 1993 set where everything was split into 9x9 murals was also a treasure trove of C-listers-- Slayback! Splice! Terror Inc! Individual members of Six Pack or whatever Cable's other team was called!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

The 92 Marvel Universe set had Carnage colored almost entirely black. It was pretty cool actually.

I think the 91 set listed characters favorite movies, and they were all jokes. Wolverine likes Logan’s Run, War Machine likes Robocop, etc;

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In 94 they dropped the Spider-man set drawn entirely bu Mark Bagley and I still have that in a binder on my shelf.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My late uncle gave me a set of Spider-Man cards when I was a kid. I still have them and so does my brother. We were big into that Spider-Man cartoon back in the 90s so that's why he got them for us.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think that there was a series all drawn by the Hildebrandt Brothers, and then there was a series with four different artist doing four cards for all the same calendar. Man I loved those stupid beautiful cards.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Madkal posted:

I think that there was a series all drawn by the Hildebrandt Brothers, and then there was a series with four different artist doing four cards for all the same calendar. Man I loved those stupid beautiful cards.

I misread that as the Hernandez Brothers and almost died but now the thought of an entire Marvel series of cards drawn by them would be a cool relic from an alternative universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Leaving this here because I imagine some of you are Brooklyn 99 fans as well as comic fans.

https://twitter.com/iamstephbeatz/status/924513299730800640

Kinda wish there was a cosplay/costume thread, but I imagine it would get creepy fast.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Skwirl posted:

Leaving this here because I imagine some of you are Brooklyn 99 fans as well as comic fans.

https://twitter.com/iamstephbeatz/status/924513299730800640

Kinda wish there was a cosplay/costume thread, but I imagine it would get creepy fast.

There one if PYF that mostly stays on the rails now that Snatch Duster doesn't post there anymore.

Also that's cool, I keep hoping America will stick in the consciousness like some other characters.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I saw costumes on a Target endcap for Ms Marvel, Spider Gwen, and Squirrel Girl. Still waiting for a Squirrel Girl backpack so my prediction can come true.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I saw costumes on a Target endcap for Ms Marvel, Spider Gwen, and Squirrel Girl. Still waiting for a Squirrel Girl backpack so my prediction can come true.

That's rad since those aren't even movie characters.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's rad since those aren't even movie characters.

They are Marvel Rising characters though, and they seem to be pushing that pretty hard

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Here you go.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/dysart_james/status/1057442059064233984

I don't even know where to start with this. I can't think of a better example of someone pretending to care about comics they've never read.1) The Order is a comic where Dr. Strange and the rest of the original Defenders decide the best way to Defend Earth is to conquer it, (basically an early version of Marvel's Illuminati) AKA, they already evil. 2) How many times has Dr. Strange made deals with evil beings over the years? There are multidimensional Lovecraftian horrors that don't have enough fingers or other appendages to count the number of times that happened.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm probably the one person who actually likes the masked version of Doctor Strange

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I kind of love it just because it brings me back to the time when I was first getting into comics (yeah, i'm old).

That and Iron Man's nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wow I can't believe Dr. Stange is a ~~Satanist~~! He typically sticks to good Christian elder gods like Hoggoth and Cyttorak when channeling spells!

• Locked thread