Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Previous thread (S1 & S2)
Season 1 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzayf9GpXCI

The Man in the High Castle is a dystopian alternate history television series created by Frank Spotnitz (X-Files) and produced by Ridley Scott (Blade Runner) for Amazon Studios. The series is based on the 1962 novel of the same name by American science fiction author Philip K. Dick. The story is an alternate history of the world in which the Axis powers won World War II. The United States has been partitioned into three parts: The Japanese puppet state of the Pacific States of America, which comprises the former United States west of the Rocky Mountains; a German puppet state of the Greater Nazi Reich that comprises the eastern half of the former United States; and a neutral zone that acts as a buffer between the two areas, called the Rocky Mountain States.

Season 1 synopsis posted:

It's 1962, the Allies have lost WWII; America is divided, the east is the Greater Nazi Reich and the west, the Japanese Pacific States. Amidst this oppression there is new hope - films that seem to show a different world. When her sister gives her a film and is then murdered, a woman comes to believe the films hold the key to freedom and becomes obsessed with finding their mysterious guardian, The Man in the High Castle.

If you're thinking of watching the show, stick with it, season 1 is slowish and a bit of a drag at times but season 2 is much, much better on all fronts.

:siren: Season 1 & 2 spoilers below :siren:

Season 1 & 2 recap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61souSkwDk4 (30 mins)

Season 3 - Released October 5th
Hitler is dead. The Reich blame the Japanese for poisoning him and prepares for war. However, footage obtained by the Man in the High Castle of a Hydrogen bomb test from our reality is shown by John Smith to Nazi high command who believes that the Japanese also have the bomb and that an invasion of western America would come with retaliation. John Smith also finds out that newly sworn Acting Chancellor Heusmann is the mastermind of Hitlers death for which he and his son Joe Blake are arrested for treason.

Enter quantum mechanics and alternate realities, where the Allies defeat the Axis power and World War 2 ends in September 1945. The rise of the resistance against the Greater German Riech and Japans new weapon, the atomic bomb.

Season 3 has been (mostly?) complete for some time, infact season 4 is being filmed right now.

Cast

Juliana Crain (Alexa Davalos) is a young woman from San Francisco who is outwardly happy living under Japanese control.

Frank Frink (Rupert Evans) Frink worked in a factory creating fake pre-war antiques and weapons. Captured after the carrying out the bombing of the Kempeitai headquarters.

Mr. Tagomi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) Trade Minister of the Pacific States of America.

Inspector Kido (Joel de la Fuente) the cold and calculating head of the Kempeitai (Secret Police) stationed in San Francisco.

Joe Blake (Luke Kleintank) a Nazi agent who infiltrated the resistance, he is the biological but illegitimate son of Martin Heusmann who is the new chancellor of the greater reich after the death of Hitler. He resigned from the SS just before his arrest.

John Smith (Rufus Sewell) a ruthless SS who foiled a plot to overthrow Hitler and has been promoted to Oberstgruppenfuhrer (the highest rank in the SS) and is now in charge of the American SS.

Videos
S3 comic con sneak peek - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP9wkTEgORI
Season 3 trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xunwv3rRWYo
S3 teaser #1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6haXll5wFc
S3 teaser #2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UVCEbonfg

S1 & S2 recap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61souSkwDk4
Tagomi eating a twinkie - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAfkZfvd8LA

Posters

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drunkill posted:

Hitler is dead. The Reich blame the Japanese for poisoning him and prepares for war. However, footage obtained by the Man in the High Castle of an Atomic bomb test from our reality is shown to John Smith who believes that the Japanese also have the bomb and that an invasion of western America would come with retaliation. John Smith also finds out that newly sworn Acting Chancellor Heusmann is the mastermind of Hitlers death for which he and his son Joe Blake are arrested for treason.

Uhh, not quite. Neither Smith (nor Kido, who helps Smith come up with the plan) are under the impression that the Bikini Atoll strip is genuinely from the show's universe. They both know it's a High Castle tape, and have deliberately tricked the Reich high command into thinking the Japanese are more technologically advanced than they currently are.

Also:

quote:

Frank Frink (Rupert Evans) Frink worked in a factory creating fake pre-war antiques and weapons. Captured after the carrying out the bombing of the Kempeitai headquarters.

He dead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope so, this show would improve immeasurably without Frank Frink.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Isn't Kido dead as well? Or am I misremembering the climax of S2?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

~Coxy posted:

Isn't Kido dead as well? Or am I misremembering the climax of S2?

The building he was in got blown up but he survived.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Even if he did die there's always a chance one of the alternate universe versions of him might pop in.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Hakkesshu posted:

I hope so, this show would improve immeasurably without Frank Frink.

And ^ is acceptable TBH. Just no more of this one - the guy is a virus to just about every person he meets and it's gotten boring how he basically guilt-trips/bullies everyone into being a oval office together with him. I fastforwarded most of his stupid poo poo in the second half of S2 due to that.

Tiggum posted:

The building he was in got blown up but he survived.

Yeah, it makes sense that he did, seeing as how he left the meeting room, where all the rest of the senior military staff was located and which was exactly the place the bomb was set to hit hardest, to meet Tagomi. Was also necessary for the story, since he forms the chain that averts WW3 from happening - from Tagomi to Kido to Smith (who is spared having his secret uncovered, due to Juliana) and finally, to Joe.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 3, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I left Frank in because he could come back in an alternate timeline, like how Trudy is alive at the end of S2, although I have no clue if the actor worked on s3 at all.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Oh hey, it’s the thread again! Been waiting for this ;)

I’m a dude that works on the VFX for this show, primarily shading but I have my fingers in a lot of pies. Season 3 was a blast to work on, challenging as all hell, and I really hope everyone likes it when we all marathon it tomorrow!*

As with S2, can’t talk specifics of things that aren’t publicly known - but I’m sure y’all can expect similar reels and behind the scenes stuff after release.

Just for thread purposes, to clear up some production timeline confusion I’ve seen online (again, this is all public info if you look a little): s3 finished filming around Nov iirc, and post took through June. Unlike what reddit thinks, season 3 hasn’t been done for a year and the stuff they’re filming now is for season 4 (I lol’ed at the guy who was convinced the stuff they filmed a week or two ago is for s3).

*I haven’t seen it yet - generally, people working on the show (including the actors) have to wait until release to see it all together.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well thank you for all that you do...it's a terrific show!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw season 3 episode 1 tonight at NYC ComicCon along with a panel discussion. Really feels like the show is finally hitting it, I know it was only one episode but I didn't have any of those head-slapping moments. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes when they drop.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Yay! It's back!

Only as "dead" as Julianna's sister.

Whoever hasn't watched it yet, the preview episode they've had up for a while goes over the "what has happened previously" stuff. One thing I appreciated being cleared up was John Ubergrupenheimesteinburger Smith actually having been a USGI prior to getting his position in Nazi Germany. The episode where he and his future wife in a flashback saw DC get nuked was in his Nazi timeline and not a third timeline. That said they REALLY should fill in the story between him being USGI and being a Nazi higher-up.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 5, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It seriously baffles me that this show keeps going, both because season 1 had... issues... and I never thought of it as popular, but I'm glad to see anything that gets more money in the hands of PKD's kids

But seriously folks give us a Scanner Darkly series, there's so much you could do there. It could be like a cross between Neuromancer and Breaking Bad

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

precision posted:

It seriously baffles me that this show keeps going, both because season 1 had... issues... and I never thought of it as popular, but I'm glad to see anything that gets more money in the hands of PKD's kids

But seriously folks give us a Scanner Darkly series, there's so much you could do there. It could be like a cross between Neuromancer and Breaking Bad

Ma'am, this is the Man in the High Castle drive-thru.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hasselblad posted:

Ma'am, this is the Man in the High Castle drive-thru.

I'm sure they're just aphids!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Hasselblad posted:

Whoever hasn't watched it yet, the preview episode they've had up for a while goes over the "what has happened previously" stuff. One thing I appreciated being cleared up was John Ubergrupenheimesteinburger Smith actually having been a USGI prior to getting his position in Nazi Germany. The episode where he and his future wife in a flashback saw DC get nuked was in his Nazi timeline and not a third timeline. That said they REALLY should fill in the story between him being USGI and being a Nazi higher-up.

I believe someone has been cast as one of his old war buddies, so no doubt some reminiscing will be involved about the bad old days of american freedom.

Plus he had that scene last season where he talked about the war with Kido and how their military careers were different.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hasselblad posted:

Ma'am, this is the Man in the White Castle drive-thru.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Just started season 1, ep 1.

Good show so far.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Episode 1: This new season of Mad Men is weird. Don Draper was replaced as head of the ad agency and now John Smith is living in his apartment with a lot of Nazi symbols decorating it.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
To me Man in the High Castle has a little bit of time travel / alternative history, etc, but the bulk of the story is:

Spy (US 'good' faction) vs Spy (US 'bad' faction) vs Spy (Japan 'good' faction) vs Spy (Japan 'bad' faction) vs Spy (Nazi 'bad' faction) vs Spy (Nazi 'worse' faction).

I'm probably even missing some. Were there neutral zone factions?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Just want to say that I was watching this when I was really sick a year ago and didn't realize I was actually in S2.

A day or so later, when I was able to crawl into the living room, I started it up again but instead picked up S1 and I had a total "WHAT IS REALITY" moment when I realized nothing about the show was the same. :catdrugs:

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
This is a pretty interesting map from episode 2 (doesn't spoil anything, I think):

Shows some colonial and postwar borders that don't really make sense in their timeline.

I think this map has a North and South Korea.
Why keep Borneo separated between Malaysia/Indonesia or British/Dutch if it's all occupied anyway?
The Caucasus being divided between the republics is weird given that the rest of German/European Russia is still one.
It makes sense that there would be some kind of border between India and whatever is to the west of it if there's a buffer, but it being the 1947 border is weird, given the amount of real world bullshit that went into determining that border.

And it also looks like there's something between Jordan and the Mediterranean.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."
Just got done binge-watching all of Season 3 overnight. Man, that was some heavy poo poo. Not quite as depressing as Season 1, but still...gently caress. :smith:

Loved the effects though, and as usual some top-notch acting from everyone. It was great to see the little victories from the Resistance when they came, even if the defeats were heavy as gently caress.

Once more people have finished it the plot discussions should be awesome.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Frank will never die

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
lol Rockwell. I knew from the second JEH was introduced that certain information would become a plot point.

heh

I'm on E5.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 6, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is this available in 4k? I didn't find Ultra HD like in previous seasons.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i thought from the season 3 trailer that Ms. Abendsen was japanese or at least hapa for an extra little *wrinkle* there, but *welp*. excited to see Free Denver, though!

edit: lol kido literally asks what the definition of "hapa" in the scene i just watched. joel de la fuente is fantastic in this.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 6, 2018

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finished episode 2 and loving it so far.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

Thom12255 posted:

Frank will never die

Metaphorically speaking he will remain an immortal martyr because his artistic rendering of the "sunset of hope" that most people probably don't even know WTF it actually means but just thinks it looks cool and rebellious will...somehow inspire millions to join the Resistance? Yeah, as nice as that was it still seemed a little silly. I get that they wanted to give the character a good send-off but Season 2 was enough IMO.

The plot from the Nazis to take over the multiverse didn't make a lot of sense either but the writers actually pulled it from the planned sequel to PKD's book so I guess it worked. The problem I saw was: What would the Reich have to gain from taking over other dimensions? The only immediate thing I can think of would be the extra resources from each incarnation of Earth and of course the "spreading the Nazi ideology" bullshit Hitler wanted in the first place -- but then there's the practical issues of communicating with any soldiers they send back, since it appears to be a one-way trip anyway, and fighting sudden wars against multiple instances of a free and powerful Allied military in any universe where the Axis lost, which would likely be most of them? Just sounds like a terrible resource sink that would quickly become a quagmire.

It's one of those ideas that sounds better on paper, I guess. I can also see this getting very interesting and/or amusing if it carries through to Season 4 and We get to see Himmler and/or John Smith threatening Kennedy with 40's-style atomic bombs if he doesn't surrender their United States to the Quantum Nazis. I can only see this working if they manage to control the portal and set the destinations to other dimensions where they have the same victory or even better armaments so they can combine forces on the other worlds. Then it might work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
(Full Season Spoilers)

Crazy Dastard posted:

It's one of those ideas that sounds better on paper, I guess. I can also see this getting very interesting and/or amusing if it carries through to Season 4 and We get to see Himmler and/or John Smith threatening Kennedy with 40's-style atomic bombs if he doesn't surrender their United States to the Quantum Nazis. I can only see this working if they manage to control the portal and set the destinations to other dimensions where they have the same victory or even better armaments so they can combine forces on the other worlds. Then it might work.

I think the latter is the only option that makes sense, both in terms of what the show is practically capable of, and in terms of what would make sense for a human to attempt.

That said, I think it's more likely that the Reich ends up falling into paranoia and self-destruction. If there's the possibility of alternate universe travel exists, then there's the possibility that Nazi hating parallel timeline infiltrators could conduct wholesale infiltrate and replace tactics on their own people. Or, that another set of Nazis might want to exploit their timeline simply for its resources. Or mass defections to universes that are potentially more fulfilling than their own (Smith kidnapping Thomas from an alternate timeline is just the tip of the iceberg here). Even beyond that, the sheer possibility of alternate timelines is near treasonous, since it leads to inevitable conclusion that Nazism isn't the an inherently superior form of humanity, and to these guys that's really loving scary. Cue rampant reactionary crackdown, sanctions, and an empire than eats itself.

That's how I see it, anyway.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 6, 2018

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What are the rules for switching worlds? Besides that you can't exist currently in the other world.

In episode 2, the neck snap when the Japanese raided the warehouse was amazing.

Edit - The fedora and round glasses make the Chief Inspector look like Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 6, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Edit: quote is not edit.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 6, 2018

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i love the throwaway line in episode 3 that establishes coco chanel as a big-time nazi in that timeline, too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a S1+2 recap that’s not 30m long, like anything under 10? Started watching episode 1 and stopped it not even halfway in when it became apparent I don’t remember enough off the top of my head, and 30m is just too long

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Is anyone having issues hearing the dialogue clearly? Dunno if it is our TV, Roku, or streaming in general. Maybe my hearing is gong. Most dialogue to me is coming across garbled mushmouth mumbling to whispering.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Is anyone having issues hearing the dialogue clearly? Dunno if it is our TV, Roku, or streaming in general. Maybe my hearing is gong. Most dialogue to me is coming across garbled mushmouth mumbling to whispering.

I'm having to put subs on to get everything, was it intended for 5.1 surround or something

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Thom12255 posted:

I'm having to put subs on to get everything, was it intended for 5.1 surround or something

Likely culprit. When watching regular TV I used to turn off my 5.1 and use the TV speakers to hear dialogue. Now that I cut the cord and everything is streaming, I should probably go back to 5.1 and fiddle with the settings. (When I use headphones with my Roku remote it sounds fine)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Finished, it was good, probably the best season so far. But man it felt short and like we're missing another half. I'm surprised at how much of the trailers had stuff from the last episode in it, it fooled me into thinking more would happen. Next season should be great though and hopefully not take 2 years. I'm guessing the opening scene of the season will be near the end of s4.

The marketing team also over-hyped that Lebensborn symbol far too much, it's pretty silly looking back.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 6, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What a way to botch the near perfect recon run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yo it's real good.

The overall narrative wanders around a biiiit but the vignettes within the structure of the larger story are pretty breathtaking without being ham handed.

The theme of destructive paternalism creating fatal vulnerability within strength: in the Reich playing out in a emotional /personal rigidity vs the same in the JPS playing out in a structural rigidity is just loving aces

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 8, 2018