Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

He was put on a trawler and trawlers literally cross oceans all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I mean, maybe they were just shuttling people to a larger boat waiting off shore? It’s Yakuza so maybe it’s illegal human trafficking. Let’s just assume for childan’s sake that’s the case.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Agreed on everything. Show could have been breaking bad levels good but the last season seems rushed (could have used like 4 more episodes) and some of the actors are *really* carrying some others. The coup was cool as hell but kind of gimmicky looking back on it, what with the leveled-up ss knife units taking out the entire command structure and the weasel obogrupp fella not just also killing john and taking everything,strategically.

I have some gripes but it was still a really intriguing and cool ride 8/10

edit: wait childan gets on a trawler at the end?? How did I also miss this haha time to rewatch

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's way more likely Childan gets murdered/shoved overboard en route or killed the instant he tries to set foot on Japanese soil.

Or they pull their "produce inspection" trick and just leave him on the dock until he dies of thirst/exposure.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ending was idiotic and none of the actual longterm problems were solved. It felt like a decent season finale for a penultimate season, with one more season to deal with the repercussions and wrap it all up but nope, that's all we get.

I like how Smith had enough of a power base to walk into the lion's den and stage a successful coup, but was somehow completely powerless to not set up new American death camps. It really made that reveal about Danny and the guilt Smith carried be a huge waste of everyone's time.

In summary, most of the stuff in San Francisco was good including Childan/Yukiko, BCR, and attempted coverup of assassination. Everything Juliana was garbage. Everything John Smith was dumb. Everything rest of Smith family was pretty good.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
How did the Nazis back in their War room know the moment Smith Epsteined himself?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hasselblad posted:

How did the Nazis back in their War room know the moment Smith Epsteined himself?

They said on the radio and called the guy.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Hasselblad posted:

Not sure what show you were watching but smith kills himself

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Hasselblad posted:

I don't think Smith was killed by someone else, though?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I thought Helen just dying instantly in the crash was a wasted opportunity. It would've been far more dramatic if she'd been knocked unconscious/obviously badly hurt, but during the firefight, she rouses, picks up a dead SS soldier's SMG, turns it on John and his men and fires (missing because she's not trained and probably concussed from the crash), and purely out of reflex, he returns fire and kills her. That would've made for a much more interesting narrative of him being 'lost' enough use the 9mm cure to clear one's sinuses.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Ya I’m just gonna pretend that’s what happened

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Loved everything about this season, except the beginning (hate that they killed Tagami off-screen) and the end.

The general feeling I got was that they originally planned a longer series, but Amazon told them "OK, you have one more season to wrap everything up" and the writers basically scrambled and did their best. Hence the crazy number of loose ends and unsatisfying conclusions.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Everything up until like the last ten minutes was pretty good. What the hell kind of ending was that?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

100% agreed with people up thread that they should have introduced the BCR way earlier. At the end I was worried they were going to have some cheesy patriotic speech about the American flag and I'm glad they didn't. That America deserved to be forgotten.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I like how Smith had enough of a power base to walk into the lion's den and stage a successful coup, but was somehow completely powerless to not set up new American death camps. It really made that reveal about Danny and the guilt Smith carried be a huge waste of everyone's time.

Smith was never a true believer. think the point if you watch how he started out as Nazi is to show that anyone could become Smith (hence the generic john smith name). In order to survive Smith was so stuck in the "just following orders" mindset to escape his responsibility. All he could do was carry out the plans even when he finally became leader and could stop it he was too too risk averse to stop it. Thomas was the only exception to this. He was a broken person and once his family was gone he was done.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Cojawfee posted:

They said on the radio and called the guy.

Uh, who on the radio knew he was dead? The only one remotely near was Julia.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Hasselblad posted:

Uh, who on the radio knew he was dead? The only one remotely near was Julia.

The helicopter or hovership or whatever nazi magic craft they had flew over the area and they saw that Smith had shot himself. Then they said on the radio that he was dead.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

Smith was never a true believer. think the point if you watch how he started out as Nazi is to show that anyone could become Smith (hence the generic john smith name). In order to survive Smith was so stuck in the "just following orders" mindset to escape his responsibility. All he could do was carry out the plans even when he finally became leader and could stop it he was too too risk averse to stop it. Thomas was the only exception to this. He was a broken person and once his family was gone he was done.

Yeah, I think this is the key message from the show: it is possible to justify and/or tolerate any behavior as long as one refrains from thinking about it too much. Helen makes this point when she tells her daughter that he and John simply didn't ask questions when Jews and other "undesirables" were initially being hauled to concentration camps. It eventually became habit and a whites-only America became the new normal.

Smith's not being a true believer is further reinforced at the end when Helen begs him "this has to stop" and Smith after a brief pause responds with "I don't know how..." Basically at that point he was in too deep and it was too late.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I also realized today that the way the show ended left things wide open for spin offs. There are quite a few unresolved (or unsatisfyingly resolved) plot points that a new group of producers could run with. Just off the top of my head:

1. Robert and Yukiko's efforts to reunite in Imperial Japan, with the Japanese-Chinese conflict as the backdrop
2. BCR's efforts to rebuild the West Coast in the aftermath of the main show's finale
3. A Russian invasion from another multiverse where Russia turned on and decimated the Nazis after WW2 and achieved world domination (perhaps with Russians as technologically superior to even the Nazis, forcing the Nazis and the newly liberated/reborn USA to become allies...). That could get interesting because there could also be additional subplots about BCR being sympathetic to the invaders on the basis of Communism.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 10, 2019

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Roosevelt wanted to declare war much earlier it took pearl harbor for it to happen. The US has always been closely aligned to the UK.

To change that in alternate history maybe the UK becomes communist and the US goes to war with commie UK and allies with the Nazis.

It would be a great show idea because America would be fighting side by side with the the Nazis. You want to cheer for the “good guys” but the good guys are america and nazis...’ Compared to the soviet union and Stalin who killed more people than hitler. Who does the audience root for?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Cojawfee posted:

The helicopter or hovership or whatever nazi magic craft they had flew over the area and they saw that Smith had shot himself. Then they said on the radio that he was dead.

This was a pretty cool thing to see, the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_31

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DropsySufferer posted:

Roosevelt wanted to declare war much earlier it took pearl harbor for it to happen. The US has always been closely aligned to the UK.

I find it interesting that the thing that allowed TMitHC to happen at all to America was Roosevelt's assassination, which meant no New Deal, because John Nance Garner, his first VP, was a Texas Democrat who hated the legislation/entire idea.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Thom12255 posted:

The reddit discussions have all centered about the BCR being so dumb and the writers just being 'woke' as the show already had the Resistance that they could've done this plot with - forgetting that the Resistance was incredibly boring for 3 seasons and the BCR is instantly more fun to watch.

Late to respond but as soon as I read this I thought gently caress reddit and gently caress I hate how now every black or female or LGBTQ character on tv or in a movie makes it “woke” now.

Like even if nothing else it’s just something that is a thing. You can have black characters. It doesn’t mean you are woke. If woke is even a thing and if so is it even good or bad etc

But regardless of that- the BCR had great actors killing it, a mostly great arc (fell at the end but really every storyline got squashed), And also fit the theme and setting and had something to say about the America in the show and relates to issues in America today. My only complaint is like many I wish we had them sooner.

Echoing the comments of the show being so inconsistent. Season 1 was a slog but the world building kept me through it (sure as poo poo wasn’t the characters). Some of the main characters got better as we went on and by and large by season 4 we either only have good characters or characters that have become good left.

On the pacific side Childan and yukiko was a surprisingly likeable story. Obviously the BCR was great. I actually liked how Kidos story played out. I do feel that the Japanese in the show got off lightly because in western eyes/history they aren’t as bad as nazis but like- anyone who has read about the pacific knows they were just as bad in many ways, maybe not on the sheer scale of death but really to have the show letting them leave like gentle giants and faun over the “honour” of the Japanese in so many ways is kinda gross. I get that that’s not what happened with every character and they showed plenty of lovely Japanese people but they weren’t as cartoonishly evil as the Germans.

On the nazi side the smiths killed it. I loved the cat and mouse game of Helen trying to contact the rebels/ them trying to contact her. I thought the actor for smith smashed it out of the park. Just amazing. Glad they didn’t redeem him at the end and the Helen/ John part of the story is probably the only satisfying part of the shows ending.

Other than that just rushed. Himmler, Berlin and the coup just felt like a comic book joke. The Japanese leaving after one big attack is laughable. It really needed to brew these ideas out over longer or change course with them but who knows. And the portal at the end was just stupid and like many people have said “why is this even good?”

Like I would have taken them merging the worlds to end fascism happy bullshit over this ending :/

In any case I wish they had kept going even as a spin off showing more of the world. I eat up alt history world building so much. Even stuff like the nazi plan to dam the Mediterranean. How life is nowadays. The stupid shows the watch. It’s all good. Any movies or shows people recommend in that vain?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

teacup posted:

In any case I wish they had kept going even as a spin off showing more of the world. I eat up alt history world building so much. Even stuff like the nazi plan to dam the Mediterranean. How life is nowadays. The stupid shows the watch. It’s all good. Any movies or shows people recommend in that vain?

A book, not a tv show:

https://www.amazon.com/Presence-Mine-Enemies-Harry-Turtledove/dp/0451459598

It's by Harry Turtledove, who for a Jewish guy seems to have an odd fixation with Nazis and Nazi analogues in his alt history, but he's great at world building and as a standalone it's less bloated and daunting than his multi-book epics. It's pretty much Man in the High Castle in the 1980s, where the Nazis won WWII and have had 40 years to rule the world. You get a lot of what you see in High Castle, where you have Speer's architectural vision of Berlin come true (this book was the first thing that came to my mind when we saw Berlin in the show). It explores what the world would really be like day to day for people in a multi-decade Nazi Reich, and hits on culture and stuff too.

One of the main theories that he has is that you can't keep up the cartoonish evil of the Nazis at Level 100 forever, and eventually inertia would set in, erosion of Evil Principles, and a softening up. What you get is an interesting take, a Fall of the Soviet Union analogue where there starts to be coups and reform a la the history of the USSR under Gorbachev in the 80s. Less a Resistance bringing things down, more of a rebuttal to 1984--maybe a total police state can't keep it's boot on everyone forever. It also is told from the perspective of secret jews living in the Reich, and how they cope.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Glad to see the finale was pretty much universally reviled here. Overall I thought the season flowed well enough, but they absolutely botched the ending in the worst way possible, although I do sympathize with the writers for having to cope with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa leaving the show (as well as having to close out the series early, probably). There always seemed to be a lot riding on his character, and the half-baked meditation dream sequences were not a graceful workaround.

Professor Shark posted:

I can't think of any show that had such unlikable protagonists yet incredible antagonists.

Yeah. Julianna really is one of the most dull protagonists I've seen on an (at least sometimes worthwhile) tv show. Part of that is because Alexa Davalos is just a horribly lightweight actor, but there's also no strong, sustained sense of why she's doing what she's doing. The backstory with her sister never hit the mark for me, and in general, the show's resistance folk (minus the BCR, which was an okay angle) mostly felt like stock characters plodding along plot contours, all while Rufus Sewell and Joel De La Fuente were giving the performances of their lives on the other side of the fence.

The show kind of always had this awkward asymmetry of acting talent/compelling characters and storylines going on, with the alt-world realpolitik/world-building stuff keeping things interesting, so it's not like it's anything new, but it felt especially weak for them to trot out such a hamfisted final sequence that essentially rendered all the interesting stuff into a footnote of whatever obligatory protagonist catharsis they were trying to make work there.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 2, 2020

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
My wife and I finally caught up to the end of the series and echo many of the comments here...a few random thoughts, interested in the comments of others.

- Final scene made no sense. No explanation for what was going on, no interaction between the arriving people and our 'heroes' made no sense. Pretty clear they just had to float something to end it all on, but totally weak.

- The loss of the Tagomi character was substantial. I don't know why he didn't continue (other work?) but just killing him off was brutal, and marginalized a lot of the Japan side of things.

- I liked Childan's story. Totally different from the book, but interesting to see the perspective of someone who really liked the occupier's culture more than his own. I'm sure there would be people like this were such a thing to happen.

- The whole Juliana/Julia storyline was pointless and stupid. The show couldn't figure out what to do with her - was she a rebel leader, a wanderer, an instigator or something, an assassin, I don't know what?

- I liked the Ed/Frank friendship, but the whole Ed coming out plot line also felt a bit out of nowhere, given that earlier it seemed like he had feelings for Juliana and was jealous of Frank. Might have been stronger to have him be out right from the beginning in an effort to show how difficult life under that occupying force was (or wasn't, I have no knowledge of what the Empire of Japan's perspective on homosexuality was).

- After the build-up to Japan getting the bomb, that whole plot line just fell off the map and was forgotten about.

- I liked Wyatt Price's character, but he seemed to be able to travel wherever and whenever he needed with little explanation for how he got there. Felt like he was a frequent flier in an environment where the best you could do was the back of a truck if you were lucky. Cross-country travel for a known terrorist seemed a bit too easy.

- I LOVED the world building. I really wanted to see more of what the Empire and Reich had turned into and how the world actually unfolded. The damming the Med and the Africa story would have been fascinating. The book covers none of this, which I really wanted to see.

- Kido and the Smiths were definitely the best part of Season 4. Great acting, and the dynamic between Mrs. Smith and the older daughter (Jennifer?) in that argument was awesome.

- What ever happened to Joe? Sure felt like we were going to see him again through the portal. Another loose end not really explained other than he went totally bad and Juliana killed him.

- The portal was dumb. Too many loose ends, none of which were really necessary.

- Smith going to the other world to find his son was also dumb. Character learned nothing from it in the end, wrecked a bunch more lives, and got his alt-self killed for no reason by virtue of sending one of his assassins there.

- I had totally forgotten about Frank going into Season 4. Apparently, so had everyone else.

- Even though it was uneven, it had a lot to say (though sometimes clumsily) about fascism and what happens in the absence of democracy.

No regrets watching it, but it's obvious it wasn't getting the viewers Amazon wanted or they would have kept at it. Being filmed in Vancouver, it was fun playing 'spot the location'. The old Riverview psychiatric hospital sure got a workout!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the world building over four seasons was sufficiently good that a new set of writers/producers can pick it up and build on top of it.

Really, I think alt-history as a genre has a lot of promise, and can use more love.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

teacup posted:

Wolfenstein: The New Order has some great world building and I think a level that is set on the actual dam that closes off the Mediterranean. At one point you can watch a presentation on the planned terraforming of Venus in some space facility meeting room.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
(Following is all my own opinions)

While I don't want to comment on the ending itself (too close to it, not my place, etc), I can say the cast and crew appreciates y'all who followed us to the end!

I would personally love to do more worldbuilding in this universe - all the volkshalle, germania, DC, NY stuff was so amazing to do, and really does feel ripe for side stories. I wanted to do Japan, but I get why that didn't happen.

The thing I secretly wish for is a series of shorts in the High Castle universe. If they were 15-20 minutes, an establishing shot or two, and maybe some light action, it could flesh out a lot of the universe that I'm pretty sure the writers have already thought about. Have each one follow a new character somewhere in the world, with some overarching theme connecting them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I thought Season 4 was pretty much garbage.
We end up dropping Tagomi, which is a huge loss, and we mostly follow evil characters and try to make them sympathetic? Why should I care about Kido, a man who gassed an innocent Jewish family and then beheaded another Jew? Why care about Helen when she's a disgusting collaborator who had no good excuse for what she did in the end?
I understand that it's exploring the mindset of those who do bad things through inaction and "just following orders," but I got the feeling through these numerous dramatic scenes that we were supposed to be emotionally involved in Kido/John/Helen/(heck even Childan who is a cowardly bum who gets a perfect waifu).

Bleh. A bunch of these storylines seemed recycled this season, too (surveillance on Helen, backstabbing between the Nazi higher ups, Kido dealing with a framed assassination suspect). I don't think the series ever hit the same heights as the Season 2 episode when Tagomi fixed that cup in his alt-universe (amazing music in that episode, too).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I thought Season 4 was pretty much garbage.
We end up dropping Tagomi, which is a huge loss, and we mostly follow evil characters and try to make them sympathetic? Why should I care about Kido, a man who gassed an innocent Jewish family and then beheaded another Jew? Why care about Helen when she's a disgusting collaborator who had no good excuse for what she did in the end?
I understand that it's exploring the mindset of those who do bad things through inaction and "just following orders," but I got the feeling through these numerous dramatic scenes that we were supposed to be emotionally involved in Kido/John/Helen/(heck even Childan who is a cowardly bum who gets a perfect waifu).

Bleh. A bunch of these storylines seemed recycled this season, too (surveillance on Helen, backstabbing between the Nazi higher ups, Kido dealing with a framed assassination suspect). I don't think the series ever hit the same heights as the Season 2 episode when Tagomi fixed that cup in his alt-universe (amazing music in that episode, too).

On the contrary, the excellent portrayal of the villains was what carried the show. If they had been typical cartoon villains, I don't think the narrative as a whole would have been nearly as compelling.

Indeed, the show does an excellent job exploring Hannah Arendt's "banality of evil" concept, i.e. the idea that evil people are not necessarily brilliant, cultured and sophisticated monsters as they are usually portrayed in most media (e.g. Hannibal Lecter), but rather ordinary in very banal ways. That's basically the Smiths: despite being at the top of the Nazi hierarchy, at the end of the day they, too, do "regular people stuff", like sending their kids to school, going shopping, having guests for dinner, and so on. And it takes an extraordinary traumatic event (Thomas's self-sacrifice) to snap them out of it. Similarly, we see that with Kido this season: yeah, he gasses Jews and murders blacks at work, but at home we see that he's a father separated from his wife and worried about his son's future.

You aren't supposed to sympathize with these characters, so much as understand that they shouldn't be put on a pedestal in any way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

enraged_camel posted:

On the contrary, the excellent portrayal of the villains was what carried the show. If they had been typical cartoon villains, I don't think the narrative as a whole would have been nearly as compelling.

Indeed, the show does an excellent job exploring Hannah Arendt's "banality of evil" concept, i.e. the idea that evil people are not necessarily brilliant, cultured and sophisticated monsters as they are usually portrayed in most media (e.g. Hannibal Lecter), but rather ordinary in very banal ways. That's basically the Smiths: despite being at the top of the Nazi hierarchy, at the end of the day they, too, do "regular people stuff", like sending their kids to school, going shopping, having guests for dinner, and so on. And it takes an extraordinary traumatic event (Thomas's self-sacrifice) to snap them out of it. Similarly, we see that with Kido this season: yeah, he gasses Jews and murders blacks at work, but at home we see that he's a father separated from his wife and worried about his son's future.

You aren't supposed to sympathize with these characters, so much as understand that they shouldn't be put on a pedestal in any way.
And Hitler loved his dog, should I give a gently caress about him? Why feel sad for Kido? I was hoping he got gassed in that room or strung up by the vigilantes. Instead, they tried to make that white vigilante dude who wanted to kill him a racist villain? What?
I didn't know what I was supposed to feel after seeing so many chances being given to these characters to change and "wake the gently caress up" and they didn't. If Thomas's self-sacrifice actually did snap John out of it, the show would have been more interesting. It didn't and John just backslid into being a villain again.

It felt like watching a show about how we need to be nicer to Trump voters and understand their side (even though they'll just vote for Trump again).

I wanted someone to root for but the hero protagonists were extremely bland.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm surprised people are so down on the last season. This show had a lot of bloat and I feel like it could be edited down to 2 seasons of a completely amazing show. If they did that, it would be heavily weighted towards this last season.

The Smith/Helen dynamic is great and Smith is just a great character played by a fantastic actor. This made me rewatch Dark City. The BCR was a much needed element. Great stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

And Hitler loved his dog, should I give a gently caress about him? Why feel sad for Kido? I was hoping he got gassed in that room or strung up by the vigilantes. Instead, they tried to make that white vigilante dude who wanted to kill him a racist villain? What?
I didn't know what I was supposed to feel after seeing so many chances being given to these characters to change and "wake the gently caress up" and they didn't. If Thomas's self-sacrifice actually did snap John out of it, the show would have been more interesting. It didn't and John just backslid into being a villain again.

It felt like watching a show about how we need to be nicer to Trump voters and understand their side (even though they'll just vote for Trump again).

I wanted someone to root for but the hero protagonists were extremely bland.

You should read what I wrote again. You aren't supposed to like the villains or even sympathize with them or feel sad for them. Rather, you're supposed to understand them, beyond simply "wow, this guy is sooooo evil!!!" because shows as a whole tend to be better when the characters in them are relatable, regardless of their moral alignments.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

enraged_camel posted:

You should read what I wrote again. You aren't supposed to like the villains or even sympathize with them or feel sad for them. Rather, you're supposed to understand them, beyond simply "wow, this guy is sooooo evil!!!" because shows as a whole tend to be better when the characters in them are relatable, regardless of their moral alignments.
I just feel like the show was way too focused on humanizing the villains at the expense of the heroes. The overwhelming majority of screen time was spent on them to the detriment of anything else.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I just feel like the show was way too focused on humanizing the villains at the expense of the heroes. The overwhelming majority of screen time was spent on them to the detriment of anything else.

That's only because the heroes were extremely underwhelming.

I like Alexa Davalos but she wasn't the right choice for main character.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

But you don't understand! This show is supposed to show the evil Trump supporters getting their comeuppance! It's useless unless it shows everything as I see it! In black and white with no shades of nuance and everyone who disagrees with me is objectively wrong and always punished!

Which is silly on the face of it, because the "bad guys" did pretty much lose. Helen died, even after trying to do the right thing in the end and having a moment of clarity, there was no redemption for her. John Smith got away for a minute, but lost his family and killed himself. I mean, he wasn't strung up by the BCR or the Resistance, but he lost everything. Even if they'd killed him, it paled in comparison as punishment to losing his family and destroying his master plan to "rescue" his son. Kido could have gone to Japan and been a high ranking favorite of the Empress. Instead, he lost his son and is stuck in America, working for criminals he hates. The guy was basically the Top Cop in the Western States and he now has to work for the mob for the rest of his life--is there a worse punishment? The German Reich will now have to face off with a nuclear American Reich which will probably start shedding it's Nazism and threatening them. Japan has lost it's German allies and the Americans aren't too hot on them either, so they'll probably have to start pulling back from China and other places. Plus there's apparently a bunch of chaos agents from other worlds walking through the portal who aren't probably hot on fascism.

So in the end, a lot of the good guys won, the bad guys lost, and the world is objectively a better place than it was in S1E1. I mean, we didn't have the BCR conquer the US Reich, German Reich and Japan and put everyone on trial and hang them if that's what you're looking for.

Humanizing evil isn't just important for tv shows, it's important for life too. Albert Speer supposedly reformed and rejected Nazism and wrote a couple of books about it. A lot of people don't buy his heel/face turn and think he was an opportunist. But whether he was sincere or not, he had a good point in his book Inside the Third Reich: he wanted to show the foibles of Hitler and the other top Nazis. To show their pettiness and weaknesses. Because the danger is in making the evil enemies, like Nazis, superhuman and perfect. Saying they don't have any redeeming or human qualities, they are just cartoon evil. The problem with that, is when evil comes again, you can't recognize it because it's not over the top puppy kicking baby eating monster stuff.

Slothful Bong posted:

While I don't want to comment on the ending itself (too close to it, not my place, etc), I can say the cast and crew appreciates y'all who followed us to the end!

I would personally love to do more worldbuilding in this universe - all the volkshalle, germania, DC, NY stuff was so amazing to do, and really does feel ripe for side stories. I wanted to do Japan, but I get why that didn't happen.

The thing I secretly wish for is a series of shorts in the High Castle universe. If they were 15-20 minutes, an establishing shot or two, and maybe some light action, it could flesh out a lot of the universe that I'm pretty sure the writers have already thought about. Have each one follow a new character somewhere in the world, with some overarching theme connecting them.

Thanks for what you guys did. It was a fantastic show, and went places I never thought after seeing the first few episodes and reading the book. I get if you'd rather not say, but do you think they really did get to wrap it up as they wanted, or were they hoping for another season? It seemed a bit compacted at the end, like maybe they intended to end it here but had to crunch it a bit. Was there ever any talk of what would happen next, post Smith/Himmler?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Slothful Bong posted:

Thank you for posting, and thank you for the efforts that went into creating this series. It's a lot of work and takes courage to create something and put it out there for others to view and critique. Notwithstanding my comments above, I do think MITHC was a good show, and it's clear to me just how much craftsmanship went into the world building. In fact, my wife and I both thought that the underlying message of the banality of the villains was something more people should see, as well as the theme of how easy it is to acquiesce when things are good and the money is rolling in.

I think your MITHC Shorts idea is a great one, but considering all the props and costumes were either auctioned off or destroyed, it seems unlikely to happen. But with Amazon money, who knows?

Can you say much about how the viewership figures were for the show? I read, like others, that the pilot had massive ratings, but I wonder what the fall-off was. I'm guessing it was considerable.

Were there any directions you ended up going that in retrospect, you would have changed? I wondered about why the Joe plot line ended with him just getting killed off as opposed to being a force elsewhere. What was the take on having to kill Tagomi off? I'm guessing this wasn't part of the plan?

Would welcome your comments or other thoughts on anything to do with the show that you think we would like to hear about, without giving away any confidences or compromising your position.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think I've found a new reason to hate the finale.

The reason the New American Reich didn't bomb the west coast states into oblivion is because everyone in the BCR had all been sterilized. Why destroy perfectly good cities when the threat of Black Communists has no literal way to propagate or continue itself and will be gone within a single generation? All they'd end up doing is inadvertently killing future ~loyal citizens of the NAR~. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Can you say much about how the viewership figures were for the show? I read, like others, that the pilot had massive ratings, but I wonder what the fall-off was. I'm guessing it was considerable.

Amazon is tight lipped about this for everything so I only have a laymans perspective - but I think (among other causes), that world events leading up to the season 2 release put things in an uncomfortable perspective for some.

quote:

Were there any directions you ended up going that in retrospect, you would have changed? I wondered about why the Joe plot line ended with him just getting killed off as opposed to being a force elsewhere. What was the take on having to kill Tagomi off? I'm guessing this wasn't part of the plan?

I'm on the VFX side, so I was only able to leave my mark there. And due to the way this stuff works I generally don't know non-pertinent plot ahead of release.

This leads to the neat situation where a show I worked on for 8 months can have story beats that completely surprise me. The joe death was one, and while I thought we might see him later on or in S4, I wasn't upset when we didn't.

I don't know anything about the Tagomi situation besides public rumors, but I would've loved to have him in s4 :(.
Cary is a great actor, and his Tagomi was such a key part of the first three seasons.

quote:

Would welcome your comments or other thoughts on anything to do with the show that you think we would like to hear about, without giving away any confidences or compromising your position.

The research involved with the CG work was so drat cool. Visiting a US Battleship in California, gathering photo reference in NYC, studying architecture, vehicles, clothing. I spent many hours going down a Japanese Navy livery rabbit hole, and figured out what kinds of Camo patterns would've existed at the time. I know I even spent some time on period-correct street sign fonts!

Being involved with such a great team was also a blessing. Everyone worked their asses off, and we were definitely punching above our weight with team-size. I'm still amazed that we've gotten the recognition we have (2 VFX Emmy nominations, 3? 4? VES nominations), especially being up against shows like GoT and Stranger Things.