Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

macabresca posted:

Yeah, body acting of these puppets is incredible

I would love it if like Daniel Floyld or Noodle or a similar animation expert youtuber did a break down. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lin FTW.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This season has too much Lang and not enough Shang.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished rewatching the second season. I had forgotten that Monk has broken a ton of divine swords, all that were stored in a fortress except for the best three, now in Shang's scroll. If in the next season demons attack the world again, it will be an issue.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Final episode!

Well, that was solved more quicky and more neatly than I thought. LOL monk getting his final wish, and floating in space for all eternity with her.
Then again, that was solved quickly because there *one more plot twist*
The Emperor is the bad guy, Hou Shi Ming! Whaaat. So, he is making a Emperor Palpatine. But.. for what purpose? As the situation isn't exactly the same as the Star War Prequels, he is already THE EMPEROR.
edit: it could be a split personality thing, his hair accessory changes indicating one personality or the other.

There is stinger at the end, with Bard going for papa, and that's it!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 26, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Final episode!

Well, that was solved more quicky and more neatly than I thought. LOL monk getting his final wish, and floating in space for all eternity with her.
Then again, that was solved quickly because there *one more plot twist*
The Emperor is the bad guy, Hou Shi Ming! Whaaat. So, he is making a Emperor Palpatine. But.. for what purpose? As the situation isn't exactly the same as the Star War Prequels, he is already THE EMPEROR.
edit: it could be a split personality thing, his hair accessory changes indicating one personality or the other.

There is stinger at the end, with Bard going for papa, and that's it!

It's possible that the cursed palace is the true ruler of the country, and that's what he's trying to bring down.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Assuming the show follows the same format it has been doing (which isn't a given, given the blowup between Pili and Bilibili, along with general Covid troubles) I'd be curious about what the movie is going to entail, because there's a lottt of things it could touch on

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

Assuming the show follows the same format it has been doing (which isn't a given, given the blowup between Pili and Bilibili, along with general Covid troubles) I'd be curious about what the movie is going to entail, because there's a lottt of things it could touch on

I hope we see why Shang knew about time travel, how he knew trying to change the past isn't a good idea.

Also, I'm sad that we didn't see again tech mad wizard. Hopes for the fourth season, I guess.

It was kinda funny that the two 'bad guys' from the Insect club were so disappointing, Mantis died in a silly way, almost by chance by getting caught in a plot by Lin, and the general was cool and in the end it verged toward good guys but let's be honest: his performance was disappointing in this last episode, he gets the scroll and barely knew to use the weapons well, he just served as a distraction, and only because he self-sacrificed himself.
It served at least as lesson for the audience: gaining the Sorcerous Index doesn't mean automatically winning the game, at the end of the day, the swords are still tools.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 26, 2021

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This show is interesting for a lot of reasons, but chief among them for me is how the second-tier villains seem to be the characters with the most pathos (Sha Wu Sheng, sad scorpion, patriotic centipede)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well, that does at least answer why the leader of the divine swarm doesn't just take over the empire if he's so powerful. :v:

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Bit of an anticlimax there with Aoi Yuuki finally free from the sword and taken out so fast. But totally fitting with the mad monk.

Overall it was a good season, but not as good as season 2. It's hard to top Poison Princess. Although Vape Wizard did his thing with a great deception.

Anyway can't wait for whatevers next. Love this series.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Aoi Yuuki's fate worse than death was a little disappointing and kinda of a bummer since I felt like her story arc could have gone somewhere differently and I dunno seemed like Mad Monk's fault? If he still loved her despite not being a sword I wonder if things could have gone differently.

Someone earlier I think called it that the Divine Swarm Leader and the Emperor might've been the same person, good work! I also wonder to what end he's doing what he's doing and whether it is a split personality thing with one half trying to stop the other or if is an evil plot for a larger purpose.

It is kinda cool that the Emperor actually is really powerful, in a wuxia setting like this I like that there's possibly others out there who are stronger than the heroes and it makes sense for the ruler of a country to be the most powerful or else what actually does stop them from being overthrown by any of the powerful bandits running around?

I think I actually do like how the Sorcercous Sword Index isn't actually a I Win button; and that even if you're a fairly powerful warrior in your own right like the General you probably can't use them; and the irony had probably burned at him worse than the flaming sword that he couldn't use the Divine Sword because he had corrupted himself using evil means to try to serve his country.

It's interesting that Shang really does must have more about him going on than we know for him to have no problem using the swords.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wa jun po FTW. Pipe bastard FTW. Mad monk FTW. Cool pyrotechnics. Hope the next movie is about the cyborg guy lol.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't know why people are saying there's split personality thing with the Emperor, it seems clear that he is just a super arrogant rear end in a top hat who thinks that power and control is the only thing that matters. Presumeably he's being set up to be Enigmatic Gale's final boss, since he's kinda his dark counterpart.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

It seems pretty likely it will deal with Làng because he's now somewhere that the main cast can't get to easily, and it would make more sense to deal with his adventures in killing Dad in a film rather than it being a B-plot in the next season

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Lang's adventures in the demon realm are going to be pretty interesting. I'm not sure if he's going there just to kill him, get answers, or something else. But I like the Keigai is still around at least; maybe Azilphfer is bored enough to humouring his offspring's desire to kill him will let him kill time, but hopefully there's a bit more to it. I really like how its very close to how tieflings, especially teifling warlocks tend to be handled in D&D/5e.

As it is I assume its more to it because Lang alone I don't think is remotely strong enough to fight Demons inside Hell where they're like 4x stronger like Soul Reapers in Bleach and he doesn't have any mystic weapons, so my thinking this is about unlocking his demon powers which he'll once he resolves his arc in Hell rejoins the cast to fight the Emperor.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Maybe next season the villain will lock Lang into a box for half of the episodes. We can only hope.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
After digesting the last episode for a couple of days, this was a perfectly okay season, but it felt kind of... inconsequential? Wrapping up plot threads from earlier stuff is nice, but it really made this season feel like it wasn't going anywhere particularly fast.

They could have condensed the whole thing into an OVA a third of the length of the season (or just a film) and still delivered that same narrative payoff, and now we have to wait another two and a half years for more Thunderbolt Fantasy (since whatever film we get in summer 2022 will probably not deal with Shāng and the gang). :rip:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 29, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, the third season is similar to the second one, in the the story basically is 'someone from the Divine Swarm tries to get the scroll from Shang, gets defeated'. In addition, the third season is still about 7BD and Monk, so it feels even more of the same.
I think the difference is that it has been a very decompressed season, with the first two you have to understand there are small time skips in between scenes and episodes, so this 10 episodes really represent two weeks of journey, while here 10 episodes are closer to be 'in real time', so they represent a day.

Despite that, in the big scheme of things, I'd say this season still gets us an inch closer to whatever climax the story will have, as it happened in Xou Yi where everything started ( most of the scroll swords and the big baddie is based from), we saw them meet blue bard girl, learned in a flashback how they already fought the big baddie but had to retreat, we saw the demon faction entering in the arena doing schemes, you have the feeling that the General and Mantis were higher in the power pyramid of the Divine Swarm, and finally we had a big reveal just at the end.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It definitely feels like Season 2 and Season 3 were intended to be a single storyline, but I assume it's really expensive to do puppet pyrotechnics as well as making a puppet for every new character, and budget concerns could have been an important factor.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think maybe its more that they wanted a long running wuxia soap opera and having an overall slower narrative pacing would make sense if they always wanted/intended the show to be long running.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Urobuchi is on record saying that he loves writing this show and wants it to go on for a long time. If the seasons keep getting funded then I'm in this for as long as it lasts. I love this show to death.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I saw this article and thought it might be of interest to fans of the show:

https://anitrendz.net/news/2021/07/29/interview-with-the-president-of-pili-international-multimedia-liang-hsun-huang/

It's an interview with the CEO of Pili. He explains how Taiwanese puppetry evolved over the years and also the partnership with Japan that allowed Thunderbolt Fantasy to exist.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
They've officially confirmed new stuff on the way:
https://twitter.com/epilinet/status/1431104187899670533?s=19

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Probably another movie, which would be neat.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hell yeah!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Probably another movie, which would be neat.

That's been the pattern so far and I like it. I hope it's Rou Fu You's solo campaign in hell to kill his dad. :banjo:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's been the pattern so far and I like it. I hope it's Rou Fu You's solo campaign in hell to kill his dad. :banjo:

Seeing Mad Scientist dude escape his hell dimension could be fun too.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Hello I am necroing this thread for two reasons:

1. Filming for season 4 began last month. Get hyped! :dance:

2. Pili made a World of Warcraft ad a while ago if you've ever wanted to see that in puppet form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOm6EHcAglM

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Can Of Worms posted:

Hell yeah.

Feels weird that we didn't get a film between seasons this time, especially with where season 3 ended. Hoping season 4 isn't going to be more demon world stuff.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'd watch the various Warcraft stories as a puppet show.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Can Of Worms posted:

Hello I am necroing this thread for two reasons:

Oh I am so GODDAMNED onboard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/epilinet/status/1670610290071973888?s=20

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
New info on Season 4 and a new movie!
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...in-2025/.209072

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Always excited for more puppets!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Important to note that the movie is being presented as the "final chapter" so maybe we're finally done with these fuckin swords and their magical bullshit

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'll be sad if that's the case, both because Shang and the goddamn vape wizard :argh: are fun protagonists, and because we're unlikely to get any other Pili shows distributed in the West.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

I got a bit bored with S3, so I'm fine with them closing the book on it if they have a decent end in mind.

If the movie is gonna be on the same level of Bewitching Melody of the West, its gonna be amazing.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'll be sad if that's the case, both because Shang and the goddamn vape wizard :argh: are fun protagonists, and because we're unlikely to get any other Pili shows distributed in the West.

Yeah this, it would be cool if this was the end of this show if we could get more anime puppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I remember Urobuchi saying before the pandemic that he wanted to do a lot of seasons with this show but the pandemic did pandemic things so this is probably all we're getting and honestly as long as we get a complete story with a non bullshit ending I'll be satisfied. This is the kind of show I can go back and watch over and over