Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Just finished up Gato Roboto. It was pretty fun, but it didn't last very long. If you like backtracking a lot in metroidvanias this will probably be a bit disappointing. From what I can tell you can clear entire areas in one pass and really only have to revisit a few things to get 100% completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

There's no place to pre-order the physical copy of 3D All-Stars yet, is there? Dying to get one for my sister whose birthday happens to be in three weeks.

Best Buy has it! They claim it'll arrive on release day too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Maybe I'm just searching for the wrong thing, but is there some kind of Mario Sunshine guide that tells you when blue coins are only accessible in a specific episode?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Look up 'blue coins checklist' on Google and you'll find a few. Here's one I've been using: https://nkiller.webs.com/sunshine/checklist/

Thanks! This will probably work for my purposes. Looks like I can just ctrl+f "ep" and get a little nudge in the right direction. I don't want to outright go through a list just yet but I also don't want to spend hours in an episode looking for something I can only get in another episode.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Some people are streaming Mario 35 already. Seems pretty fun. I don't know if it'll keep me interested as long as Tetris 99 but it seems like it could develop some comical meta.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Finished up Pikmin 3 story and Olimar's missions this weekend! Really fun game. I'm already looking forward to another playthrough now that I know the areas and fruit locations. It's a ton of fun planning out routes and seeing how much stuff you can accomplish in a day.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

oh man, you're really gonna love Mission Mode then. I saw someone say that the post-game Olimar side story really stepped up the difficulty but honestly it's not that much harder than the regular game. On the other hand, pretty much every Mission Mode level is gonna push your speed to the limits, plus most of them have 3 characters so you have to constantly be switching. honestly they show the limits of the single button switch and not having the map on the tablet, on the Switch it's harder to get all three Koppaites working full speed when you don't have as much control over disassembling your pikmin groups as you used to.

Boss missions are way easier though, I got platinums on the first four bosses on my first try.

edit: all the DLC is in there, I must have not unlocked the last set

Yeah, I didn't find either of Olimar's missions to be difficult. Plenty of fun, but nothing exceptionally challenging. I'm glad to hear that about Mission Mode! I wasn't sure if I'd like it but figured I'd mess around with it to hold me over until Age of Calamity this Friday.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm trying to think of a good switch game to give my girlfriend for Christmas. I know she's not into super difficult games or games with a ton of real time combat. Like for instance, she liked BOTW but said she had difficulty with some of the encounters and fighting the bosses. She likes Pokemon games, so I think she is cool with turn-based combat, and games that a more life sim / puzzle-y / narrative-driven. Like some of her favorites on the switch are Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and Pikmin 3. I'm OK with getting a digital game, as long as I can buy a physical card to give her. Some idea I have in my head are Mario Odyssey, Undertale, maybe even the Ace Attorney trilogy. Is there an obvious game I'm missing? I don't really know of any other life sim games that are on the switch, for instance.

I might be taking "puzzle-y" too literally here but Baba Is You is a great time. Maybe Katamari?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

It's weird to me that 64 felt more "open" than Sunshine. For the most part you can get whatever stars you want in whatever order you want, and at least the 100 coin star won't boot you out of the level. Even some of the castle stars won't send you to the lobby like Delfino Plaza does.

I love the Sunshine controls because I'm an idiot or whatever but I find it frustrating you have to do the shines in order and must get the 7th shine in every area to unlock the final stage. 64 pretty much lets you assemble 70 stars however you want.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

If you aren't spending $60 on every new Switch game so you can have an informed tantrum on the internet you aren't gaming!!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Maybe they'll randomly announce the Pokemon Snap release date on Twitter between now and February. I never had a Wii U so I've been digging the ports, but these release droughts have been doing wonders for my backlog.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

If you wind up hosting your island online you'd have to keep it from going idle and disconnecting, but that's about it!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Bought Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 on sale. I'm real bad at Puyo Puyo. Are there any games that just let you practice setting up chains by yourself? I pair myself up against a CPU but just end up dealing with garbage or winning the match too quickly. I see the value in responding to garbage and watching your opponent's screen but I just want to get used to setups.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Just started playing Hidden Folks with my girlfriend and it's pretty charming. I expected to just do a level or two and get tired of it but it's actually a lot of fun. Definitely adding it to my list of casual recommendations.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Anybody know if the Star Ocean remaster is worth getting?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Pretty good posted:

My impression of SO1 from having played through it a couple times around when the translation patch for the snes version first came out is that it's a decent JRPG with a lot of easily missable stuff ranging from little side things to optional recruitable party members to massive chunks of character backstory. Also I think there are quite a few point-of-no-return moments. There's a good game in there but it's pretty obtuse in a lot of places.

So I booted up the SNES translation patch a few days ago after rearranging my setup and yeah... I wish it gave me an explanation or two. The game crashed in the middle of the long sequence leading to the time gate and I didn't feel like redoing all of that so I figured I'd look into the other versions. Sounds like there are better JRPGs I can check out.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Finished off 3D World + Bowser's Fury this weekend! Bowser's Fury was a surprisingly comfy way to pull the game out of my backlog compared to beating Champion Road and the stamp screen taunting me with 4 empty spots.

I'm a fiend for completion sometimes but nothing about "play every level again to really complete it" does it for me.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Everyone, it's been a year! No more excuses!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Muk Dumpster posted:

Theres an endless supply of shmups and slay the spire never ends so how can you ever get bored

Speaking of shmups... I have a flip grip on the way. Any good shmups to keep on my radar for sales?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Thanks for the shmups! Gonna put a bunch on my wishlist and keep an eye out.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Amorphous Abode posted:

The Flip Grip was practically made for Downwell, so get that too if you've never tried it!

Oh poo poo, I have Downwell and didn't even consider that!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

That level is easy. Seriously. If you are struggling with it you might as well throw in the towel now because you will throw your switch out the window when you get to the hard stuff.

thank you gamer

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

I'm just looking forward to getting around to catching a speedrun of this version of 3d world because you just know that's gonna be wild to watch.

I'm interested to see how the Bowser's Fury routing turns out too. Lots of ridiculous movement stuff you can probably pull off with plessie + your choice of powerup + the propellor block. I just let Bowser Jr follow me around but I wonder if you can direct him to stuff and bounce off of him in unique ways too.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

guys help i can't figure out how to diagonal inputs i'm doing it "nintendo style" if that helps

The Postman
May 12, 2007

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation. We bought a Switch for our kids, ages 6 (twins) and 9. I'm trying to find a multiplayer game that also has a solid single player component.

I'm considering Luigi's Castle or Animal Crossing but I am open to all suggestions.

Will either of those games support multiple save files so they can have their own "games"?

We have a PS4 so this will be a good alternate device. We also have Minecraft on the PS4 and I have PS+. My daughter has Minecraft on her Kindle Fire. If I bought Minecraft for the Switch, could all three of them play together? We currently cannot because if two players are on the PS4 version, only one player account is tied to my PS+ account, so they both cannot play online.

Luigi's Mansion is a great pick, however I think it only supports 2 player co-op if you were trying to get all 3 involved. Not sure if some of the DLC things support more players. I believe it has multiple saves but don't quote me on that.

Mario Maker 2 might be a fun option. That should let everyone do local co-op, build their own courses, and play on their own if they want. I don't think you can do co-op in the story levels for whatever reason.

Super Mario 3D World could also be a pretty good time.

Edit: I haven't played the new Mario Party, and I understand people who grew up with the originals are fairly disappointed, but I bet it would still be great for kids.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 24, 2021

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Just watched a guy on Twitch play the tower defense mode on Monster Hunter Rise and drat that looks like absolute chaos in a fun way.

I didn't even know this was a thing... drat I need this game.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Is it easier to team up with friends in MH: Rise? I hated that cutscene rule in World.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how much they pulled off with RE Engine!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

h-hey guys... it's me, uh Mario d-don't worry about it!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

honestly they'll get a lot of flak for it but replacing mario with the grinch is the best business decision they've made in the past decade

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Somehow managed to crash my Switch by posting screenshots to Twitter lol

The Postman
May 12, 2007

So pumped for Fez! I thought it'd never happen.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Len posted:

Man I remember pikmin 3 on the WiiU being way harder

I think Hard mode on Switch is the Wii U difficulty. So if you're on Normal it's actually easier than the Wii U version.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Any first time Fez goons collaborating with each other?

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm curious what you mean by this. Do you mean trying to figure out the 10 or so puzzles?

Yeah, just wondering if anybody is collaborating on the 10 puzzle game, Fez.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Ring Fit has that rhythm game mode that might fit the "dancing" bill. I never actually tried it out though.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

This might be a weird question but can anyone recommend games you can play with one hand? I had tendon surgery on my dominant hand and can't use it for at least a month. Figured my switch might be well suited considering the detachable joycons.

Strategy games seem like a no-brainer?

I'm mostly interested to hear if anyone has familiar experiences and how they coped

Pokemon Let's Go basically forces you to do this unless you're playing handheld. I didn't find the single joycon controls to be especially good though so I just wound up exclusively playing it in handheld mode.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of goon-involved games for Switch? I know of Tangledeep, Baba is You, the Steamworld games, and the Turok ports off the top of my head, but I’m sure there’s others I’ve forgotten or wasn’t aware of.

e: If you’re a goon who’s worked on a game for the Switch, please take this as an offer to self-promote. I and others want to know!

There's a thread that covers a bunch of games in general. A good number are on Switch as well. Actually I don't know what I'm talking about, it's a small handful of the list now that I'm looking.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

And here I thought all of the new posts might be about the Nintendo Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Mario on the Nintendo Switch