Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I have a game voucher left and I might use it on paper mario, is there any cool collectathon element in the overworld because I go nuts for collecting stuff :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ragequit posted:

You can find hidden toads everywhere, little trophies, some super special trophies, hidden ? blocks, and holes to fill with confetti. You can also use toad points to unlock things further in the town museum, which displays things you already found. The map helpfully lists your completion percentage of toads, blocks, trophies, and holes in each sub area.

If there’s anything I love more than collecting in games it’s collecting towards completion percentages 💦

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gamexplain usually restrains themselves unless a rumour is gaining steam with corroboration by multiple reputable outlets HOWEVER I do think they’re getting worse recently and posting more rumour videos

But overall gamexplain is a great quality channel with good people and good discussions imo

Anyway I redeemed my game voucher for Paper Mario :3 I gotta get some new joycons today though, my left one from launch day 2017 is finally drifting

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Got my new joycons, Paper Mario downloaded, just got a few hours of work left then I can jump in 😻

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wait what’s wrong with Arlo? He’s a delight

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress is this limited availability bullshit

IS THIS NOT AMERICA???

IS MARIO NOT AMERICA’S FAVORITE PASTIME???

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can’t wait for Bowser to unload his fury in on me, whew saved it

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh poo poo, I lost my Nintendo account and it's April 2021 and my Switch crashed. Whoopsie!

Thinking of ordering 100 game & watches to pay for a Porsche.

How can you lose an account

Like,

how

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I preordered 3d all stars and the g&w thing and the Mario kart but I might cancel the preorder of Mario’s kart because I’d probably play that once, making a small loop course in my tiny apartment, then never use it again

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The history of the Mario family of the Mushroom Kingdom is also the history of the Calamity Bowser

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

It would be cool if Nintendo uses the 35th Anniversary of Mario period to announce a Super Mario Odyssey 2. That’s probably my most desired Switch game at this point, I did everything there is to do in Odyssey and it still didn’t feel like enough. Come on Nintendo don’t let me down!

My dream sequel is Super Mario Ocean Odyssey.

The hat ship turns into an actual ship and you go around a bunch of island worlds. Same capture mechanic and collectathon gameplay as Odyssey. 12-15 island kingdoms including Delfino Isle and DK Isle as bonus worlds after the main story.

You could turn almost any level archetype into an island, for example a fire/lava world could be a Hawaiian themed volcanic island. A dense jungle island. Atlantis style ruins. You’d also up the number of underwater levels from Odyssey, with all sorts of settings from bright coral reefs to deep spooky trenches. The ghost level would be a floating graveyard of ghost ships. You could have a big complicated cruise ship level with lots of decks and cabins, and a platforming-heavy engine room (think Rusty Bucket Bay from Banjo)

Make this game, Nintendo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
SUPER MARIO ODYSSEA

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
One of the kingdoms could be Metro Kingdom again but this time we’re visiting the kingdom’s port, a dense industrial level with tons of cranes and stuff around. Like fuckin Ricco Harbour on steroids

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Spoiler question about Origami King:

Holy poo poo Bob-omb’s death. That’s... very dark for a Nintendo game. Is he the first ally character to permanently die in a Mario game?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The best Metroid game is hollow knight :c00lbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
That looks so fantastic. Sunshine is what I’ll be playing the second I get the collection. I got it for GC in 2006 but only ever played a couple of hours because I was replaying all the Zeldas instead before the Wii and TP came out, and as soon as I got my Wii I don’t think I played any GC game again.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I checked out of Odyssey after "winning" but preordering the 3D All-Stars got me thinking about it again and I went back just grabbing random power moons and it's so good.

Same! I had a hankering to do all the New Donk City moons again in particular so I opened up Odyssey again for the first time since 2018 and by luck my second save file was up to Lost Kingdom - just one before Donk.

Maybe I’ll 100% this save file (I got 700-something moons on my first) or maybe I won’t but game is still fun

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also I cancelled my Mario Kart Live preorder, I don’t need to spend $150 AUD on a gimmick that probably won’t fit in my living room

Also I have carpet and who knows if it will work well on that

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Luncheon Kingdom is good fun, some of the stuff like climbing up the back of the volcano is classic platforming

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My Mario appetite is sated, now I hunger for Zelda updates

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Policenaut posted:

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hkDwa4KtVg

Gonna play the gently caress out of the Japanese train game on my PS5.

Showed this to my fiancé who is a massive train nerd, and he’s excited.

He’ll watch videos of Japanese trains for hours on YouTube, and when we were there last he bought tons of model trains and an electric train set, and also a bunch of merch from various local train networks (all of which have their own mascot so it included a lot of plush toys)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've never played one of these games. Can you just run the train at top speed around curves and derail and kill hundreds of people?

Yes but that is not honorable

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
オノラブルじゃないですよ!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe 2020 will be the year people will finally stop spending money on video games and instead save for the necessities of living in a recession, like those empty barrels with straps that you can wear for clothes

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh hey, spinning is mapped to Y in Galaxy in the collection: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/ip85g5/cutscene_from_galaxy_in_3d_allstars_press_y_to/

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario Odyssey is a metroidvania

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

drat you for reminding me these exist, I'm now out $50AUD because I'm weak :cripes:.

Also the Australian Nintendo online store now has a much less dodgy-looking payment system than it used to, as a general FYI.

Nice, got one too

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I hate to think the lasting impression of Mario Odyssey for the people who got the bare minimum moons to move on to each new kingdom, mainly made up of ones out in the open, then fought Bowser and never picked the game up again after the end credits. There’s so much to the game, like magnitudes more, and all the challenge and in depth gameplay comes when you spend a bit more time in each kingdom and revisit after the story is done.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can’t wait to crack open my collection and play Sunshine on Friday

Hmm maybe I should take a day off work then

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Fire emblem, more like dire emblem

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
More like Dire ‘n’ Lame

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imagine Rock Paper Scissors as an anime but it’s a voice drama with still images

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Imagine turn based smash bros but you can’t play any of the characters with good or memorable design

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If audiences were not meant to be horny about Mario then why did they put him in a cat costume in 2013 :thunk:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Banjo Kazooie is the most perfect game ever created

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario 64 is a glorified tech demo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Banjo injected what Mario 64 couldn’t into 3d platforming: soul

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario 64 is a technical achievement to be lauded but it has no personality or humour (much like you)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mario sunshine, now that’s a game with soul babee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Take a concept like docks

Mario 64 does docks with fuckin primary colour building block poo poo, totally uninspired

Banjo does docks with all the grime and grunge, the sounds, the smells, you really feel like you’re in a gross industrial harbour