Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
when will I be able to play Donkey Kong 64 on my Nintendo Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snowmankilla posted:

So I have never played Dark Souls, but I have heard it is stupid hard. Is it fun as well?

The difficulty is greatly overstated and mostly comes from treating it like other action RPGs - that is, running and button-mashing. You're supposed to take things slower, pay attention to things like enemy attack animations and environmental cues (there is no trap or ambush you can't spot before it happens).

If you enjoy that sort of gameplay then it's amazing and really stands out as one-of-a-kind. :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Every Dark Souls game will have a part where you're going up a staircase and some rear end in a top hat rolls a flaming boulder down the top of it, there's lots of "gently caress you" moments like that where you're going to get owned the first time without adequate warning. Other players can even invade your world and disguise themselves as a statue, then pop off a crossbow shot to snipe you off a narrow bridge you're walking across. If you have a sense of humor about stuff like that (like me) then you'll love it, but if the thought of being griefed by the developers and other players sends you into a rage then you're gonna give up and refuse to touch it again (like my brother).

The developers aren't griefing you, they simply want you to pay attention. A careful approach and an attention to your surroundings will let you spot stuff like that before it happens and is in fact one of the reasons the Souls games are so great! If you rush in blindly then you will surely come across a lot of those "bullshit" moments but they're entirely your own fault (and that's great!)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

a jumping attack is just forward + heavy attack, though???
Jumping attacks are just smash attacks, Nintendo players should understand that one easily

No idea if you can rebind your keys in the Switch version but I know at least in the PC version of the Remaster you could, which is great because having run and jump be the same button was legitimately Really Bad Design (the rest of the Souls games got it right)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I better be able to play Dark Souls with the Poké Ball™ Plus

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

That's like saying you should be able to beat Contra on your first try if you just pay attention.

it isn't

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Detective No. 27 posted:

"Git Gud" is mostly a jokey phrase but it's kinda true. You're not supposed to be good at Dark Souls your first time. It's a game you go at for a while. Learn it's quirks.
Oh for sure. It's just incredible how much easier you can make the game by being methodical and perceptive. I've watched dozens of playthroughs (I like having it on my second monitor while doing gimmick runs :3:) and some people have a lot easier time going through the game despite being rubbish at the combat simply by proceeding with caution and taking things slow.

The one part that you obviously can't prep for in advance is the boss fights, but even those have fairly rigid "rules" and once you figure them out it's just a matter of executing them. And if it proves to be too much, the game basically provides a "skip this boss" option with the summoning system so anyone can get through the game.

I think one of the main things that makes the Souls games fun instead of frustrating is that when you die it's your own fault, so you can go "ugh, why did I/didn't I..." and you get the urge to try again and do better. If you just "randomly died" at the whims of the dastardly developers it wouldn't be any fun because you couldn't learn anything from it (see: RNG in games).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Attestant posted:

Just make sure you never admit you've summoned help for a boss, or someone on the Internet will call you a casual and a scrub.
Oh yeah if there is one thing that isn't exaggerated about Dark Souls it's how lovely the community is :darksouls:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can you respec in PoE now or can you still spend hours making a character only to find out it's worthless and have to start the game over again?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

You get a decent amount of free respec points but they are only for a single point at a time so you still want to be careful. The other thing is you probably want to play a league where they are running a ton of fun events, these only last 3-4 months then they run something else completely new and either never run the event again or integrate it making it so rare it might as well not exist. Your character will get dumped into the primary server that is basically dead as everything that has ever dropped is there.

It doesn't take too long to level a character up either so switching isn't that bad. Most things are pretty viable now but you probably want to follow a build guide. Check out the PoE thread if playing in leagues sounds interesting to you. PoE is not for everyone by any means. Also do yourself a favor when you pick your primary skill, buy an animation for it. Almost every skill worth using has a boring animation and you are going to see it a billion times. For $5 you can get a much more polished and satisfying animation.

The league stuff (and seasons in Diablo for that matter) don't really sound like my kinda thing, I just like taking my time with games and chilling :saddowns:

I just asked because the one time I tried PoE I enjoyed it and was building towards what I thought was a really neat interaction, then after like 20 hours when I finally got the skills I was building towards I found out they don't interact like I thought and the entire build is worthless, congrats you wasted 20 hours start over! That was back when the game first came out I think, it was a long time ago.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I only play my Switch handheld so this is a super bummer :( I want to party some Marios

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed Diablo 3 at launch but I also have no nostalgia for Diablo 2 and just played it like a fun single player action RPG on a normal difficulty v:shobon:v

Gonna admit I don't understand the "endgame" stuff at all or the speedrunning or the seasons or the rifts or multiplayer. Still got a lot of hours out of it, though I haven't really played it since (did finish the story on each of the classes though).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Any snes game you post about playing, you must post proof of ownership with a piece of paper with SA and today's date visible on it in the photo.

it's okay as long as they delete the roms after 24 hours

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the new Nintendo Switch DX will be in color

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

the new Nintendo Switch DX will be in color
actually this reminds me of my favorite thing from my old Nintendo magazines:

Translated:

quote:

- Is there anything that can be done to make the Game Boy have color?

No, the Game Boy is made to be SMALL, so that you can take it anywhere. If the Game Boy were to have colors, the machine would have been so big and needed so many batteries that it could no longer be called portable with a good conscience.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
call it the switchu

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lodin posted:

Lol, I'm guessing Nintendo Magasinet?

Bingo :pram:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ItBreathes posted:

(S)witch house

I will never get over how they named the genre 'witch house' when the name 'haunted house' was RIGHT THERE :arghfist::witch:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

No, because Shovel Knight isn't a good game.
drat right

it's an amazing game :yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is this a good thing?

Sounds like a really good thing to me :dance:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Nintendo was concerned that the fan art of Rosalina was inaccurate, and, well, they have no power to change the fan art so they had to change her design.
:hmmyes:

Over There posted:

Mario Party is fun if you're not playing single player
I played it a lot solo as a kid because I had no friends no one ever wanted to play Mario Party :smith:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Guys there was more than one Mario Party on the N64 you can't just say "since the N64 one" BE SPECIFIC THESE THINGS MATTER
They were all good though :yeah:

I can't remember exactly when they started going downhill. Which one was the one with the linear tracks?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mario Party minigames just aren't the same if you aren't getting blisters

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When you start caring about winning in Mario Party is when you stopped understanding Mario Party

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
personally I've always played with bonus stars and never lost a game of mario party thanks for listening

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

help, my dog has jpg artifacts

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

it's a video game, not an anime

Video games are sometimes more anime than anime, see Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

XC isn’t even that anime.

If you want real anime then check out the Nep series

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sound of these character designs

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah anime as a descriptor is kind of meaningless

It's vague but it's a great descriptor! It's like saying something is "80's". The 80's were a lot of things, but you still get a very specific image in mind if I say something is "very 80's" don't you? Same goes for anime. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is extremely anime.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wait a minute, Worms is on the Switch? :aaa:

Worms Armageddon must've been one of, if not the most played PC game of my childhood

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

asecondduck posted:

I'm starting to get really sucked in to Monster Hunter Generations U. Prowler mode is awesome, but a quick question... what the gently caress do I do with all these items I'm gathering? My cats can't use them, and while I could sell them for money I have fucktons of money from simply completing quests.

I guess you're supposed to swap back and forth between Hunter and prowler, using the items you gathered as a prowler while playing as a Hunter, but... I really like playing as Bell, my fuzzy pink ball of claws and destruction, and don't really see the point of playing as a human anymore?
If you ever feel like trying any of the other weapons you'll have a head start with crafting gear v:v:v

It's true that prowler mode sorta breaks the main loop of the game. Typically you're supposed to fight monsters to get materials to make better equipment to fight stronger monsters to get better materials to... you get the deal. If you're just gonna spend the entire game as a cat and never play as a hunter then I guess you could sell the materials for money, but I'd keep them just in case.

Motto posted:

Z1 is kinda hard but mostly because the movement and sword combat is kind of rear end compared to LttP-onwards.
:yeah:

I think Zelda 1 is an amazing game but let's be real, the difficulty almost entirely comes from how clunky it controls and how many of the puzzles/secrets are straight up trial and error.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 11, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love Zelda 2 and it might be my favourite NES game, but I think the 'it's too hard' complaint comes from it not telling you specifically where to go next, so a lot of people go the wrong way, thus making the game super hard.

So... it really is the Dark Souls of Zelda games :hmmyes:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

someone out there is already drawing gooigette and god bless them

a yes, the big tiddy gooth gf

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FastestGunAlive posted:

You just stay seated at a bonfire if you want to walk away and not worry about getting invaded (pvp) in dark souls. Or if not connected to the internet just stand wherever you are, provided there are not enemies in sight. It’s ok.
Yeah, enemies don't really roam around in Dark Souls so unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine.

If you are in the middle of combat then... well that's just Dark Souls :v: It's a conscious decision to not let players pause during combat (look at stuff like Skyrim or BotW for why you'd want to avoid that) but also kind of a technical limitation because of the online aspect. With how multiplayer works in Dark Souls, pausing simply wouldn't work. You could always get good at save&quitting though, it'll put you back exactly where you were (or in the case of boss battles, outside the boss arena).

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

DO NOT loving LISTEN TO THEM

I was playing dark souls 1 on pc. I got a bunch of steam messages from a friend, and when I reached an area with no monsters or visible danger I shift-tabbed to answer his question.

8 seconds later, a monster i had never seen before hit me with a permanent-duration attack that reduced my maximum health by 50%
You went into a new area and assumed it was safe. You never go into a new area and assume it's safe.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well this is a nice sewer, I think I'll stop here and take a rest. I'm sure the croaking in the distance is just some swamp gas! :yum: (Curse in DS1 is some bullshit though)

Weedle posted:

So it is “you’re safe if there are no enemies around” or “you are never safe?” This thread says both.
How can this be difficult? As long as you don't walk into a new area and assume it's safe you'll be fine. Just like, don't move. Enemies are placed like D&D encounters in Dark Souls and if you cleared an encounter then the place you're now standing is safe. If you move into a new area, chances are there's a new encounter waiting for you. Don't move into the new area unless you're ready to fight.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I heard that sometimes you can can walk forward and not take damage but also that's not always the case and sometimes you fall off a cliff and take falling damage? Which is it?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

It is fine.

It might not be fine for you and that's fine too. Like you said not every game is suitable for everybody.

This is a much better post than mine, honestly.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Yo, I was just trying to warn the fucker. Let's backtrack a moment and look at what just happened.

"Yeah, enemies don't really roam around in Dark Souls so unless you're currently in the middle of a fight you can just leave the game running and it'll be fine."

"I did exactly this and was grievously punished"

"you shouldn't have dressed like you wanted to get cursed you loving slut"

The enemies didn't roam, you did. You don't go into a new, unexplored area and expect it to be safe. It's incredibly simple.

Also don't be a creepy fuckstick, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

You're contradicting your own post but i'll keep this in mind the next time I decide to play dark souls

Your Computer posted:

You don't go into a new, unexplored area and expect it to be safe. It's incredibly simple.

Your Computer posted:

As long as you don't walk into a new area and assume it's safe you'll be fine. Just like, don't move.

Your Computer posted:

You went into a new area and assumed it was safe. You never go into a new area and assume it's safe.