Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

please hurry, DQ Builders 2... :pray:
lol if you think the Switch version of this is coming out anytime in the next 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The first 5-10 hours of BOTW are the best part of the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Now that I am more actively running the thread and keeping things up to date, as a social media influencer which jagoff do I gotta talk to for some review copies?
This post inspired me to check on the IGN Dead Cells guy and he's apparently still in radio silence mode which I'm not sure if I find that more amusing or less.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BigHead posted:

Depends on the game. Mine lasts like an hour playing Zelda, but forever playing darkest dungeon.
BOTW at full brightness and volume should still last 3 hours. If you're barely getting an hour something is wrong with your Switch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RandomFerret posted:

Oh thank Christ

Hey, got some news from the homebrew thread, the Switch is now officially supported by RetroArch, with full online multiplayer so if you're still pining for online snes games, they're only a paperclip away
I'd rather play Switch games online than SNES games online.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Super No Vacancy posted:

lol i read a mario party review says you can only play with a single joycon???? no other control options?????
It's Mario Party.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lmfao at the guy who's bad at mega man.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tenik posted:

I want to organize a family group with some friends and coworkers for online stuff. How flexible are the groups? If we decide to make a group with different people next year, will there be any issues with the current group, or issues for people who left to join new groups?
Probably. Maybe just spend the extra $12 a year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1047713284852305920

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/1047715113640189952

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

psylent posted:

I didn't have a NES/SNES as a kid and never played Megaman. I like platformers but you're all making it sound frustrating.

For reference, I love the poo poo out of Dead Cells but find The Messenger quite frustrating and probably won't be finishing it. Should I bother with Megaman?
If you didn't play a classic Megaman game as a kid I can't imagine you'd like it much. It's an extremely competent action platformer but it's also entirely rooted in nostalgia.

Definitely check out the demo though. I had fun with it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They theoretically can't do anything with the form factor because of the joycons, so at the end of the day it would have to be screen/processor/battery. The screen makes sense since the one on the Switch is kinda dinky with regards to mobile electronics, but also a lot of the games are capped at 720p and worse resolutions while in handheld mode. What good is a 1440p screen if the only content you're seeing on it is upscaled 540. The most obvious upgrade would be a bump in the Tegra chip, which I would fully expect. I don't know if there's much you could do to keep games cross compatible between both Switch versions, but ideally something powerful enough to take those 30fps locked games and bump them up to 60fps would be nice. This wouldn't really matter for first party games as Nintendo is pretty good about getting them in at a smooth 60, but better hardware would probably help a few more of those developers that seem to be on the fence simply because of the power of the thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

b_d posted:

simple hack to create a first-class wedding ceremony using cardboard boxes and a long piece of string
Labo's done it again!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Play on normal you loving cowards.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Random Hero posted:

I really want to get a Mega Man on Switch but I haven't played any of these games in years... Where should I start?
11. On normal mode.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SelenicMartian posted:

Who the gently caress though it was a good idea to add a "You swing too hard" warning in the baseball rhythm minigame? It blocks the entire and doesn't go away.
Stop swinging so hard.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm the guy that complains about 15 seconds dialogue and makes it sound like 2 minutes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

No. 6 posted:

I just wanted to say that I hate being forced to use motion controls. They've always been poo poo and the controls in Mario Party suck.
Nah they're good actually.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Idk man feels like you're the one doing the projecting here. This is weirdly specific

I usually enjoy motion controls in fps games, but outside of that it has always felt like a cheap gimmick to me. Like a lovely gesture based button input rather than an actual immersive experience that tracks your motion accurately

But yeah motion aiming in shooters is the golden exception to this
It's a party game comprised of 300 mini games. Motion controls are good. It's not like every single mini game requires them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

THE loving MOON posted:

Better not button labels than wrong labels for a kid. I'd slap my dad if he gave me a controller and said the the a button isn't actually A.
https://clips.twitch.tv/BraveFriendlyAxeShadyLulu

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Every button should have an LED screen on it that displays the proper button depending on the orientation of the controller
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimus_Maximus_keyboard

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

AdmiralViscen posted:

Little kids learn A and B before left and right

They should have just color coded the buttons like the SFC or N64 or GCN
What? It's a literal picture. You don't even have to look down at your controller and read any labels/colors.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

romanowski posted:

souped-up zelda 1 is a disgrace
It's weird and dumb and an incredibly lazy way for Nintendo to try and pad their absolutely anaemic library of NES games. And worst of all now I've got 2 LoZ carts in the selection screen.

The fact that it's clearly just a save state with maxed out items and when you select it you're just jarringly jumped right into the middle of the game with no intro screens is particularly pathetic.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

I think it's something great for kids. I remember being excited when a cart I rented had a completed save so I could see all the content I couldn't make it to. That just doesn't happen anymore.
The concept is fine, I'm just more annoyed by how incredibly lazy the execution is with it. Instead of working a way to include an "easy mode" into the regular ROM (or at the very least put a version selection menu on the game select screen), they created a whole new entry which amounts to a load state shortcut and threw a SPECIAL badge on the box art.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Heath posted:

Nintendo: hey have this free cute thing.

Goons: I can't believe how shoddy this is. It's kind of an insult to me personally, frankly
It's really lazily done and reflects poorly on their overall commitment to the NES Online platform.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo is trying to leverage the 100 million users to play Pokemon GO into the Switch ecosystem by locking a cool new Pokemon behind Pokemon Let's GO integration.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Takoluka posted:

lmao if you can't one-shot a manhandla with a single bomb or low% the first gleeok, jesus how do you even remember to eat, i literally brush my teeth with the whiskers of slain pols voice (no bow, you common whelp) and bathe in the blood of blue darknuts
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1050138376693665793

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1050137093555478529

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please don't post in this thread weirdo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Note they're all cell phone ports.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I just realized I need more joy-cons if I want to play Mario Party with more people but they're kinda expensive for (currently) one game :(
iirc there was some sort of MP+joycons bundle for $100 (??) which seems like it was a pricing error but if it wasn't that's a really good deal.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

alf_pogs posted:

i never played it on steam or anything but Risk Of Rain is a really great switch game. everything starts slowly and then all of a sudden you and an army of drones have become an unstoppable blur of death
Yeah I posted about it shortly after it came out on Switch. I had it on PC for years but never really got into it, but within hours of getting it on the Switch I was dumping 100+ minutes into overpowered mega runs. It's really fun and the buffs seem well thought out enough that you can really feel it once you start to become unstoppable.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

It wasn't fun I didn't want my weapon to break.
Sounds like something a stupid pussy would say.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

Because it represents more uninteresting work post fight and disrupts the flow of combat.
The combat in BOTW is turd rear end and it doesn't have any flow to disrupt.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The ONLY time in the entirety of BOTW where I was annoyed by the rewards was when each of the 3 special shrines that contained a bit of story build up (power/wisdom/courage) rewarded you with a 24str flame spear instead of some unique piece of equipment. That was pretty lame.

Other than that though I never felt I needed to be rewarded to explore. I'd spent literal hours checking every single part of the map and was always excited by what I'd find.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RZA Encryption posted:

I see similar complaints from time to time and I'm honestly curious why or how it's useful to know exactly what updated. Does it have an effect on which games you play? I guess I make my play decisions independently of software updates. Sometimes things just randomly get better, but I honestly wouldn't mind if it just suppressed that notification entirely.
Sometimes software updates are non-minor things and content updates, and it would be cool to be able to see that without looking it up or being overly connected to the gaming news world.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-64/Tony-Hawk-s-Pro-Skater-2-269767.html

So Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 just showed up on Nintendos Website.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I mean I get being a smart-rear end and all but I thought it was interesting given the fact they don't own Rare anymore :shrug:

Like honestly I'll eat the L if this is normal because I don't usually pay too much attention but I feel one is more surprising to see than the other here.
I'm pretty sure most every game is already on the site if you search for it. I don't think anything "just" showed up, but I could be wrong.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They had some lyrics but they were weirdly edited both for time (cartridge space 32mb vs CD space 700mb) and content (lol Nintendo) so they were weird Frankenstein versions of the songs you know and love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Fortnite is its own animal. Blackout is directly competing with PUBG which it is miles ahead of.