Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Any good games out? Have Octopath, Dragon Quest Heroes and Celeste, as well as all the mainline games

in a week or two you'll have Mark of the Ninja and The World Ends With You, two of the best games ever created

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I was just gonna ask about TWEWY, is this a big deal? Never played but been into JRPGs lately so had that on my shortlist.

Similar concerns about Mario Party in that link too.

Makes sense I guess, I can't imagine how the game would work otherwise. I probably will never use the touch method though so if I play mobile I'm gonna set the system on a table and use Joy-Con pointy controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

game called the Messenger which I (carefully) know little about keeps popping up on my radar, and I just noticed it's on switch. good game? any should-knows up front?

it's fine but if you wait another day or two you can get Mark of the Ninja which is the superior ninja game, probably the greatest ninja game ever created

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feenix posted:

Jesus Christ I have Guaca 2 on PS4 and haven’t played a ton. I may just get it on Switch. That sounds awesome if it runs well.

Anyone seen any good/deep previews (or reviews at this point) of Mark of the Ninja?

it was released like 7 or so years ago so all the reviews you'd need have been done but bottom line is it had unanimous acclaim and it owns, it's one of very few games along with like ResEvil 4 or Chrono Trigger I'd say are on my "almost flawless" list. Maybe I'm just biased but MotN just loving owns

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Remastered version contains all the DLC stuff i.e. the additional ninja style, extra mission, and 2 new items. Not really much but the new style is primarily non-lethal so it does switch up your tactics.

I'll be getting this day 1 so if there's any irregularities about the port I'll post them tomorrow.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Since I don’t have an ipad any more, I would really like to see FTL and dungeon of the endless ported to the switch (for $60 each)

the odds of actually seeing a FTL console release is pretty good now that the devs broke tradition and put Into The Breach on Switch so quickly

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Never played Mark of the Ninja before, started it last night. Like the gameplay so far, don't really like the presentation. The Saturday morning cartoon cutscenes, the level of blood and gross gurgling sounds, the orientalism. The game almost loads too fast. You press a button and your on the next level or menu instantly with no transition, it's a little jarring.

Is there a way to just knock people out instead of kill them? I'd like to be able to play this in front of my kid

the bonus character Dosan (you see his episode as an option in the level select) can be unlocked and he's straight up a guy who does non-lethal takedowns. You can do his mission and then I think you can use him later one when costumes/items become unlockable to use.

game is as great as how I remember it though I'm baffled how this was locked at 30fps. Switch really couldn't handle such an old game at 60??? it's not a dealbreaker but I was kind of disappointed and legit shocked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Starlink honestly looks like the logical next step for a hypothetical Star Fox, and a better one than the awful WiiU hybrid / weirdo touchscreen Command games. The type of game Star Fox isn't doesn't usually lend itself to huge advancements in its genre so why not mash it up with exploration stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd still take Starfox 64 over every Sonic game ever. In fact just remake the SNES game with modern grafix and sell it for like 24.99 on the eshop, it'll sell shitloads

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this article about Star Fox is mostly correct in how the well-regarded games (SNES, N64) and also the weird ones (DS, WiiU) always relied on gimmicks i.e. FX Chips, rumble pack, touchscreens)

https://www.dromble.com/2014/03/15/why-rebooting-star-fox-isnt-easy-for-nintendo/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

I've tried many times to get through metroid, loving pretty much everything from super metroid on. But I just cant. Zero Mission might be criticized as too hand holding. But got drat. Metroid is just indistinguishable tubes with some gently caress you secrets to to continue.

I love Zero Mission, there's no reason to play the NES one with ZM as a thing. I never thought it was too hand holding though; the most the game does is provide you with a very simplistic direction about where you'll vaguely be going next. I wish all metroidvanias did this, honestly. Don't railroad me like Fusion or show me the entire map like Samus Returns, but a simple little hint like in Zero Mission is nice. Playing something as tiring to navigate as Hollow Knight made me wish there some goddamn system like Zero Mission had, christ just give me a vague pointer so I don't spend half an hour going through an area I can't even move farther within.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mirror123 posted:

I think someone like a hundred pages back was saying mark of the ninja is really good? How is the switch port?

the switch version runs at 30fps instead of 60 for some baffling reason but it runs perfectly and it's not really the kind of game I care about if it's 30fps. Looks and runs fine, same fantastic game. Just make sure to bump up the gamma because for some reason the default setting makes the game WAY too dark.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is there a good stylus to use for touch controls on the Switch? I'd be fine using the handheld controls on TWEWY if I could use a plastic pen or something

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm so glad the Hitman team made it out of the dumbfuck Squeenix management. Deus Ex wasn't so lucky :(

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Luigi’s Mansion, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Bayonetta, Fire Emblem, Yoshi's loving World, Daemon x Machina and Metroid is a brain-melting amount of Nintendo games presuming all of them actually come out in 2019. Presuming a lot with Metroid and Bayonetta on the list but I'd think at least one of them makes 2019. That plus dumping all those Final Fantasy games on the Switch means they'll be having a good year ahead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rirse posted:

I love this came about because he was making GBS threads on the Overcooked Switch port.

Nintendo is extremely good and I hope they continue to ruin lives for bad videogame internet people

Phrosphor posted:

Is it normal for review embargo's for console games to be right up to the release date?

Most devs that have a lot of confidence in their games will usually have embargo lifted a few days before release. Game reviews not going live til the day of isn't always a sign that the game will be bad (like Bethesda for instance, who has the loving worst media relations team in existence and almost tanked gamed like Prey and DOOM due to this practice) it's certainly a cautionary thing to look out for. The chance the game sucks is def greater for a "day of" embargo than the ones that release reviews much earlier in advance.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Reality Pisser posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1051819990582726658?s=19

Someone was asking for this recently. I'm surprised they bothered.

I would have bet the farm that this would 100% never ever happen so I'm really surprised.

Licarn posted:

A bundle and custom Switch for a port of a 6 year old game is cool I guess.

it might be old but an honest to god portable Diablo is going to be a big deal for some people, especially since Blizzard didn't skimp on anything for it. The fact that a mainline Blizzard game is on a Nintendo console at all is pretty remarkable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Blizzard is the guys who do Overwatch, right?

yeah but there's no way Overwatch would come over to Switch. In terms of the work involved I think the devs have said "we already have to update 3 goddamn versions so gently caress a 4th"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lemming posted:

If playing the game itself is fun then having an excuse to keep playing is good

If it's a Skinner box it is bad

in the words of Reggie, "if the game isn't fun, why bother"

not all games have a grind loop, i.e. linear experiences with creative ways to play like DOOM or Dishonored. something like Destiny is absolutely a money pit though and even worse is that it's a pit continuously redesigned to gently caress with you, as if Bungie were the sick scientists who made a rotating death trap a la Cube and we're all the blubbering Kazan savants stuck in its wake

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

save your money, don't buy Starlink or AssCreed, buy Hitman 2 and support a bunch of devs who wrestled free from the jaws of Squeenix trying to kill them but somehow made it out alive, doing what pretty much every single EA studio wishes they could have done

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Also I know Dunkey isn't a serious reviewer or anything, but his take on Assassin's Creed Odyssey is pretty telling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAgO5WKnQA

honestly this video has only made me want to play this hosed up game more

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

everything I've read has said that Nintendo is one of the better companies to work for, re: how it treats its employees

On one hand Satoru Iwata took a pay cut while the company was doing less than excellent, mainly so they wouldn't have to fire people and lose morale

on the other hand Masahiro Sakurai's arms calcified and almost fell off while he worked from 9am to 10pm every day on Smash Bros

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

That's the man's personal work ethic, and he seems excessive even for the Japanese work ethic

He's very much a man that doesn't like to leave his work unattended or unsupervised. He constantly comes back to a series that he's continually expressed fatigue regarding having to work on because he sees it as his responsibility.

yeah that's the irony of leaving HAL because he was sick of making Kirby games all the time, and then being suckered into making an even bigger sequel-laden series that sells more than God itself. I know he keeps saying "this is my last one" but Ultimate really does feel like it's labeling itself as a finale.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

I'm missing some history here. Was Sakurai involved with Kirby Star Allies?

edit: correction :doh:

he left right after Air Ride. Curiously he had nothing to do with Kirby 3 which was very different from Super Star.

Sometime after, he created a new company called Sora. Soon after that, Iwata announced SSB Brawl which was a surprise to Sakurai, and after the fact Iwata asked Sakurai to be the director. So right after making his own company he got guilted into making another fuckin Smash anyway lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

:thunk:

Blizzard literally started as a console developer and literally everything the released, except Warcraft and Diablo, was on the SNES. Or the N64 in Starcraft's case. Though if they could go back in time and un-make Starcraft 64 I'm sure they would.

well hence why I said mainline; they haven't done anything since Starcraft 64 on Nintendo. Idk how possible it would be but since Arena of Valor has a pretty good control scheme, I'd really love to see Heroes of the Storm on a console.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Nothing will ever be quite as much fun as the original TWEWY control scheme, but I picked up a tablet stylus and I'm still having a real good time. I'm just glad my favourite DS game is getting a second round on the sunlight. Also TWEWY loving nails its aesthetic and now it's finally on a console that can make it look and sound as good as it always wanted to. Also I never have to deal with Mingle points again, praise the lord.

what kind of stylus do you use? like a dope I assumed the 3ds stylus would work but of course it's a very different screen.

Mokinokaro posted:

Indies LOVE them. Not just for the less competitive market but apparently Nintendo's support for getting stuff ported to Switch is extremely good.

indie games like Celeste do really well on Switch mainly because the ecosystem is less jumbled than Steam and the eshop puts new releases/recent uploads front and center for a week or so. the eshop needs some work in regards to how it divides things but for now it's a good deal for indie devs.

speaking of which I double dipped for Into To The Breach and man it owns to have a device that will be capable of playing that, Mark of the Ninja, Hyper Light Drifter, Darkest Dungeon, Stardew, Diablo, and Broforce all on the go. 2018 was mainly a port year to stabilize the digital games on hand but they did such a good job with the selection of games being ported over. The only things I wanted but didn't get were RE4 for the 15th time and SUPERHOT.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was tempted to get Starlink and knowing now that there's also a split screen co-op mode (that doesn't require a second ship+dock since 2p can use 1p's ship?) makes it all the more appealing. Probably won't pick it up until the holidays though.

just be warned that in the previews the splitscreen co-op drops to like 20fps

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Handsome Wife posted:

I want to thank the people who recommended Mark of the Ninja in this thread, it probably would have flown completely under my radar otherwise and holy gently caress is this game fun.

it's even better the second time in newgame+ when you have the tools to earn the various ninja styles and have more going against you in terms of sight/sound range and less room for fuckups.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I want Nintendo to have the guts to make the proposed Zelda game with UFOs and alien poo poo that they sketched out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

THE loving MOON posted:

Mori said he wouldn't do an Extend version of Central Fiction, and so far that's been true. Gonna be a little annoyed if this ends up being Central Fiction, the DLC, and ONE MORE CHARACTER LOL. Especially since the Switch controller is fine for Crosstag, but probably wouldn't cut it for a proper Blazblue game

I felt like it was kind of a struggle to do fireball/dp motions on a joycon with BBTag. Are there recommended thumbstick extender/cap accessories that work well to alleviate that?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sudden Javelin posted:

So Diablo 3 is out soon. Somehow I've never played a Diablo game but if Nine Parchments was extremely my poo poo I presume I'll like it? Mainly in it for the couch co op

if you loved Nine Parchments, Diablo 3 is going to make you flip your poo poo. It's the zenith of dungeon crawler isometric spellslinging loot games. Nine Parchments is very very basic and D3 gives you a loving incredible wealth of options and playstyles + freedom to play the game how you want in terms of difficulty, missions, and post-postgame challenges.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

People being excited for Dark Souls in 2018 is so weird to me. I loved it at the time and everything, but wouldn't people prefer new stuff?

Insert Skyrim joke here, I guess.

I feel the same since Bloodborne just felt like a tremendous step forward in every single way and Sekiro looks like another significant step. But then again I always disliked the incredibly basic bitch "RPG" stuff in the other games, even BB, so a Souls game that centers on more mobility and less RPG stats just appeals to me more.

Also I guess BB/Sekiro resonates more with me due to my personal dislike of boring gray medieval poo poo. Dragon's Dogma's gameplay was so goddamn good but I could not enjoy that game because the setting and story were mind-numbingly boring.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

For importers, the Kunio collection will have some English language capability

https://twitter.com/playasia/status/1053179002305871872

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

Brief footage of Warframe on switch at about 10:40 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgZqB04En2Q

I know it's just walking around the ship gameplay but christ Panic Button has some loving wizards to make it look that good undocked.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'd rather get an HD remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles over a port of XCX that has zero things changed. There's a good game somewhere in XCX but it's deep down and requires the former team to have a long hard fuckin think about how to fix the myriad of poo poo in it

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Trine aka "use the wizard to do all the poo poo and here's 2 other characters I guess"

I want a new Lost Vikings game or hell a port of the PS1 version with the voice acting

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Just learning all sorts of things today. There was a PS1 port of Lost Vikings?

Lost Vikings 2. I think it was called Norse by Norsewest in several places but it was a pseudo-3D game with prerendered grafix, CD-quality music, and with full voice acting from various well known people (Rob Paulsen, Frank Welker, Jim Cummings). That version was on Saturn/PC/PS1 so in reality SNES was the version that got shafted.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

im real excited for diablo on switch. nothing will be better than portable fuckin diablo

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waffle! posted:

Deadbolt just showed up outta nowhere in the store and I highly recommend it. Amazing soundtrack and challenging gameplay. It's a stealth-action hybrid that pits you as the Reaper vs undead criminal organizations. The only nitpick I have is it's a little short. Fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX2HGR1owiQ

WOW this was out of nowhere. Really cool but hard as gently caress game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RE4 set to release on what must be a record-breaking 15th platform, incredible. I really hope it also has optional motion controls because then it would truly be the ultra definitive version, capable of TV/handheld/motion play all in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Full Metal Furies and Astebreed were quietly added to the Coming Soon section, listed to release the 6th and the 8th respectively