Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get my Amazon game preorders on release date 98% of the time. It really depends on where you live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanted to use the orchestral music fan patch for DQVIII on 3DS and I looked into it to today and the bozo who made it also replaced the English dub with the Japanese dub.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"Git Gud" is mostly a jokey phrase but it's kinda true. You're not supposed to be good at Dark Souls your first time. It's a game you go at for a while. Learn it's quirks.

It also came out at the right time. That era of game design was defined by a lot of hand holding and mass market appeal. High selling games like Oblivion were watered down versions of games that came before them. Bioshock and the Prince of Persia reboot didn't even let you die.
Dark Souls was a breath of fresh air because it trusted the player to figure things out for themselves.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Volte posted:

You die a lot and you learn from your deaths. The difference is that death isn't a "mission failed" scenario; you don't lose progress or reload a save. You can use death to your advantage, for example to rush an item, grab it, and die on purpose. Early on you may feel like you're losing progress when you lose the souls from a boss fight or whatever, but ultimately the number of souls you'll lose is a pittance and it'll never truly hinder you.

Yeah. Souls might act as a sort or EXP, but the player's actual experience is more important.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Leal posted:

I'm glad dark souls is the only game to ever let you die and retain mental information about future events as you restart from a check point.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

omg I forgot I bought kirby star allies at some point

uh which do i play first, mm11 or kirb

Do you have friends/family for multiplayer? If yes, play Kirb.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

psylent posted:

I get glare from the train windows on the way to work, plus in the break room at my office, floor to ceiling windows and fluorescent lights overhead.

Obviously my preference is for a dimly lit room, but almost any time I play the Switch in an area where I have little control over the lighting I end up seeing a reflection of my stupid face.

On top of glare, it also highlights whatever smudges are on the screen and every spec of dust in a way non-fluorescent lighting doesn't.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like avacado but I developed an allergy to it some years ago. My body rejects being millennial.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Buy me BullShit Zelda or go to Hell.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't really live the docked split joycon dream until they make the Bluetooth not drop out so easily. It's alright when I'm playing Monster Hunter in tabletop mode though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Hows megaman 11 on this thing? Saw some video and it looked a little like the framerate was struggling but it might have been in the video and not the game

Digital Foundry released a video on MM11 today. It runs at a locked 60fps on every system, including both docked and handheld on Switch. The only downgrade the Switch has is some anti-aliasing. Nothing game breaking at all. And from my own personal account it looks and feels great in both modes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's insane that there hasn't been a sequel to TWEWY yet.

The World Ends With You, referring to me.

That is incorrect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

*Tyler the creator cyber bullying tweet but about that Zelda romhack.*

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corpse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5faKUavIQ

Seen this and the GameXplain review, general unleasing seem to be good gameplay, great looking well produced worlds, with the downside that the core loop could be a bit grindy and repetitive with you doing the same tasks in general to liberate areas of planets so ymmv depending on how much you like doing that kind of thing.

Also both reviewers were surprised by the depth of the strategy elements

That review got me more interested in it than anything before it. The strategy element makes it feel closer to what Star Fox 2 was going for. I'll probably get it someday when I have the elusive combination of money and free time.

Reality Pisser posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1051819990582726658?s=19

Someone was asking for this recently. I'm surprised they bothered.

Remember when console bundles gave you the game for free?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I just sold Dark Spire DS special edition to a goon for $200. Rare physical editions still have their place.

:chanpop:

I bought that and the special edition of the original SMT Strange Journey from a friend a few years ago for :20bux:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ocarina of Time is one of those games I boot up at least once a year and just power through until it's over. It's so ingrained in my memory. It's so hard for me to comprehend whenever people get stuck in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lmao. I go in GameStop's website to see if the Solaire amiibo was available yet. It wasn't, Wolf was. So I ordered that. A few minutes later Solaire goes on sale.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

very sad to see dark souls posting ruin another thread in the prime of its life

Eh. It's better than the babby whining over BOTW weapon durability, a concept that literal children are alright with.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm getting my girlfriend the Eevee Switch bundle for Christmas. It just popped into my head that it would be hilarious to take out the Pokemon cartridge out of the case and put Dark Souls in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1055836454583238657?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Have you replayed the classic DK games recently? I did, and they're definitely not as good as my child brain told me they were.

Maybe that's what they mean? I wouldn't say they're outright bad, just not terribly enjoyable

I played through all three earlier this year and they aged like fine wine. DKC3 is a lot better than people give it credit for.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

METAL GEAR SOLID 5: THE PHANTOM PAIN WHEN?!

Considering it ran 60fps on even 360 and PS3, I'd sure as hell double dip on Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd be happy with all the Metal Gears on Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

redreader posted:

In case anyone cares about my stuck button on the L joycon: I called up nintendo, I can't find my receipt. They said the place I bought it 'activated' the console when they sold it, and it was activated on the 4th of November last year so I'm still within warranty. They checked using the serial #. I'll send it in and they'll fix it. Score!

I have to buy another pair anyway though because I plan to use it a lot in the next couple of weeks and I'll have one joycon sent in.

So weird that they made you go through with all that. Last week, I bought a New 3DS off Amazon and called it into Nintendo because of a dead pixel. All I said was I bought it new from Amazon and they never even asked for a receipt, order number, or even the serial number. They said no problem and even gave me overnight delivery labels and return shipment.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

3 of these are last gen games

Ah yes, noted Xbox 360 game, The Witcher 3.

Edit: I misread this as "all of these are last gen games"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

psylent posted:

Are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks worth playing?

People are usually pretty passionate about loving or hating most Zelda games.

Nobody likes those two though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should have had this yesterday and swapped the Kencineroar reveal with the Simon/Richter reveal

You just don't announce a Castlevania thing the day after Halloween.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's why I said yesterday

I no read good sometimes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Metroid was a disc system game in Japan so no password system. Kind of a moot point with save states though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I doubt Namco expects Katamari to set the world on fire, but releasing it on Smash Bros day is not the best idea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Well drat that's what I get for expecting gamers to not buy something immediately.

A majority of the people who bought them were people who haven't picked up a controller in literal decades.

But yeah, I guess you could just buy a raspberry pi and never shut the gently caress up about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Also, Japanese companies and gamers seem to not give a gently caress about frame rates or resolution.

...the gently caress?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How does catching Pokemon work in handheld mode?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Pokemon Let's Go Geodude starring Barack Obama.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Your Computer posted:

has anyone tried using the Pokéball Plus in Dark Souls Remastered yet? this is very important

I tried to play Sonic Mania with it but it wouldn't connect at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm loving Let's Go Pikachu a lot more than I expected to. It's actually really refreshing, compared to the previous couple generations of the mainline games. There's actual periods of time where I can explore and do whatever. In the Sun/Moon games, you can't walk a few feet without triggering some story event where friend characters stop you dead in your tracks to talk to you about some mechanic you'll use once and forget about. I even appreciated that the first time Blue appears he's like "I was gonna tell you about gyms and badges but it looks like you figured that out on your own. Welp, smell ya later." For a game designed for literal children, it respects your time and intelligence a lot more than the last games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got no problem with them but he did make a good point about how disabled people might not be able to utilize motion controls.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, there's something weird about the walk/run transition in Pokemon. It's not a frame rate hitch. There's something wrong with the animation whenever I take a 180 turn. The game doesn't handle it well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The sales are pretty weak but I might get Undertale and Hyper Light Drifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My OoT story. I didn't know much about Zelda before it came out. I asked my dad to rent me Rogue Squadron when it came out and he got me OoT because Star Wars was sold out. I rented it it quite a bit, but never started a new file. I kinda played around on the other files for a while. Eventually, they released that greatest hits version and my mom bought me a copy and I played through it so many times. Warm, fuzzy memories. I think I'm gonna watch that vaporwave Ocarina of Time video now.

I had become a big fan and was following Majora's Mask when it was just called Zelda Gaiden. I didn't know if I'd be able to get it when it came out, but my dad and I were at Best Buy and they offered him $500 in Best Buy money to switch to some lovely dialup service. He did it and bought a home theater system. It was a month before Majora's Mask came out but for some reason they had it available to buy so my dad got me it and an expansion pack.