Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

doomrider7 posted:

If he got reincarnated what would he pick?
Would pick being spaceship with sentient AI(Outlaw Star basically).

I don't remember what it's called exactly but there's a series like this. Some kid is reincarnated as a spaceship.

Most Difficult Route or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Guyver posted:

I don't remember what it's called exactly but there's a series like this. Some kid is reincarnated as a spaceship.

Most Difficult Route or something like that.

I think Lost Galaxy also had sentient spaceships. I just find it kind of hilarious that out of every possible reincarnation scenario, the author picks sentient spaceship.

Edit: There's something unusually wholesome about the fact that Fuse-sensei had no real major expectations for the series getting as big as it did especially since it was his first series and that it was something he had wanted to do since his college days, but school and work took him off of that track.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 29, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Just finished volume 13.

A 300 page fight scene with every single named character with no tension and leaving Rimuru with the power of a god.

Easily my least favorite book in the series.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It's been like that since he got a name, though.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Chapter 55 of Slime Diaries

https://cubari.moe/read/gist/cmF3L0RhaWx5OTA2Ny9tYW5hc0hRL21haW4vTmlra2k/55/1/

Chapter Mood - :( :( :(

Chapter 97 of the main series dropped albeit from a Snipe(quality isn't bad if that's a concern).

https://mangabuddy.com/that-time-i-got-reincarnated-as-a-slime/chapter-97

Can elaborate on stuff for those curious.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 1, 2022

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter dropped.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/4cb0667f-f8f9-4a3b-9389-afc9a0ec7728/1

Luminas be turbo horny for Hinata

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

New Chapter dropped.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/4cb0667f-f8f9-4a3b-9389-afc9a0ec7728/1

Luminas be turbo horny for Hinata

It’s funny how the manga keeps spoiling things for me, despite having read several LNs ahead of it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nemo2342 posted:

It’s funny how the manga keeps spoiling things for me, despite having read several LNs ahead of it.

Might wanna read the spinoffs too then since it's new canon material, but from the POV's of other characters(three expats to Monster Country in Trinity and the rest of the cast in Diaries).

Edit: Forgot to ask, but what did it spoil for you?

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 7, 2022

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

Might wanna read the spinoffs too then since it's new canon material, but from the POV's of other characters(three expats to Monster Country in Trinity and the rest of the cast in Diaries).

Edit: Forgot to ask, but what did it spoil for you?

I think I am current on Trinity, but I fell off of Diaries. And the manga is just way more explicit about what the Guildmaster has his fingers in, which hadn't been fully spelled out/confirmed as of LN 9 (the festival was a slog and I wasn't chomping at the bit for more so I've been building a backlog).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter as well as some side stories.

Side-stories
https://mangadex.org/title/4fd9e91c-696f-468a-bf0c-a4d26468851c/that-time-i-got-reincarnated-as-a-slime-tensura-short-stories

Chapter 100
https://mangadex.org/chapter/d4864d24-ef9c-4eee-83c3-c4d4d4e3b800/1

Trinity and Slime Diaries have also had updates.

Slime Diaries
https://mangadex.org/title/1180743d-8e38-4c00-b767-c53169fadc6a/tensura-nikki-tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken

Trinity
https://mangadex.org/title/c8e83aab-43e8-425c-bd55-e7fa7fd666f7/tensei-shitara-slime-datta-ken-ibun-makoku-gurashi-no-trinity

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Volume 0 for the movie will contsin news about the upcoming movie including interviews with the author and artist and various artwork and designs.

https://twitter.com/NewsTempest/status/1585004121911750658?t=8T6Ls2H9bP9OhEmvOZuRRA&s=09

There's also gonna be a panel on AnimeNYC for the movie.

https://twitter.com/NewsTempest/status/1585368953613713409?t=nHTkeftpLT4A_Py4kij2lA&s=19

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Latest Chapters of the manga are out.

Main manga Chapter 101: https://mangadex.org/chapter/f5cdf7e9-fe26-4855-a1c5-9cef12e89b8e

Trinity: https://mangadex.org/chapter/ea4241f0-d9fa-4589-829f-ef566dd4265b

Trinity is linked from a good few chapters before the current one due to forgetting where I had last left off.

Also, new season announced with a visual.

https://twitter.com/NewsTempest/status/1590320273995485184?s=20&t=ZVlI3IgH4Wrz3Yt0lxeNGA

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

doomrider7 posted:

Latest Chapters of the manga are out.

Main manga Chapter 101: https://mangadex.org/chapter/f5cdf7e9-fe26-4855-a1c5-9cef12e89b8e

Trinity: https://mangadex.org/chapter/ea4241f0-d9fa-4589-829f-ef566dd4265b

Trinity is linked from a good few chapters before the current one due to forgetting where I had last left off.

Also, new season announced with a visual.

https://twitter.com/NewsTempest/status/1590320273995485184?s=20&t=ZVlI3IgH4Wrz3Yt0lxeNGA

I can't wait to see that. Especially when the promo shot features Hinata so prominently!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Volume 15 of the light novel should have been half the length. Jesus.

Not every character needs half a chapter for their fights. I did not and still do not give half a poo poo about the imperial general's back stories. Boring every one of them. Especially the perfect WW2 Japanese Naval officer that has to show up in every other light novel.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 23, 2022

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ayo, few news :

- Season 3 should be released around **spring 2024**.

- A new anime project has been announced : **The dream of Coleus**, it originates from the bonus content of the season two blu-ray booklets, coming in **Fall 2023** in 3 episodes.

Alongside that :

- A side story written by Fuse himself will be released tomorrow on his syosetu blog page (<t:1676818800:R>) taking place between light novel volume 9 and 10. It will also be serialized in the monthly shonen sirius (same as main manga) drawn by **3 × 3 EYES**'s author Yuzo Takada (you can see designs below).

- There will be a stage adaptation (why not).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So I read Vol 7 of the LN. It was better than Vol 6 at least in that it wasn't just a series of "all according to plan kekeke" nonsense that made the previous volume mind-numbingly boring. At least Team Slime's plans went awry several times. Though again at no point were he or his allies ever in any danger of *failing* which, uh, feels like an important part of having a compelling story. It was just a lot of "oh well our plan is foiled, but no worries, we have this all under control" and then they did have it all under control.

I dunno if I'll continue this LN. I'll probably give Vol 8 a shot but if my main complaint keeps holding I'll probably drop it then.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm sorry but you are 8 volumes in, the author does not consider the thing you think of as a problem, to be a problem, and will probably not fix it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

I'm sorry but you are 8 volumes in, the author does not consider the thing you think of as a problem, to be a problem, and will probably not fix it

I started at vol 6. So I've only read 2 vols.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

I started at vol 6. So I've only read 2 vols.
i dont know why you chose to start at volume 6 but that does not change the fundamental issue: you are 8 volumes in and the author is not going to change

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

i dont know why you chose to start at volume 6 but that does not change the fundamental issue: you are 8 volumes in and the author is not going to change

Why would I re-read 5 books covering stuff already covered by the anime?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why would I re-read 5 books covering stuff already covered by the anime?
why did you feel the need to specify you started at volume 6 if you already consumed the story in other ways

The anime and manga are just as toothless as the LN. The author isn't going to change! People are still consuming his story! YOU are still consuming his story! He doesn't see a problem with it!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

why did you feel the need to specify you started at volume 6 if you already consumed the story in other ways

What? I said I started at vol 6 because I started the LN at vol 6. What's confusing about this? I wanted to compare one vol against the anime's rendition to see if it varied significantly. I didn't care to repeat the whole series up to that point.

Nihilarian posted:

The anime and manga are just as toothless as the LN. The author isn't going to change! People are still consuming his story! YOU are still consuming his story! He doesn't see a problem with it!

You're getting really bent out of shape about me posting a really mild review of vol 7.

Either way, if this story is going to keep up the same issues I had with vol 7 I guess I'll just drop it now rather than continuing vol 8.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, the story just leans more and more into that aspect as it goes on. There's no actual tension, and the one time poo poo actually went down it then got hand waved away so everyone could get even more ridiculously over powered.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I read a fan translation of the last few WN chapters a long time ago and even the final confrontation with the final boss gets instantly defused in that version, it was pretty funny.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Gyges posted:

Honestly, the story just leans more and more into that aspect as it goes on. There's no actual tension, and the one time poo poo actually went down it then got hand waved away so everyone could get even more ridiculously over powered.

I fell off the novels after spending 2 of them setting up a festival.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
My problem with slime is that it keeps pretending to have stakes and then completely undermines them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean it has stakes. A show without stakes would be a slice-of-life show like Flying Witch. If team slime's plans went awry then there would be consequences And there are entities in the world that are gunning to bring them down.

The issue, as another poster said, is that there is no tension. At no point does the reader seriously think that team slime will fail in whole or part. Plans usually go exactly to plan. When they don't then the crew are almost always confident that they have it under control (and they do). And when that (rarely) fails Raphael has and will always be there to Deus ex Machina a victory.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
So what is it that compels one to keep reading? Are you enjoying the story?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mordaedil posted:

Sunk costs, coupled with it not crossing any personal lines, are the main reason I end up sticking with a series long after it's stopped making progress.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mordaedil posted:

If you approach it as a nation building slice of life, it's consistently ok to good. There's decent comedy, and despite being anticlimactic the action is serviceable. Sometimes it's just good fun to read about a dumbass learning what happens when you gently caress with a supreme being's poo poo. Also most of slime boy's immediate subordinates are entertaining characters.

You just have to be fine with the protagonist and his crew wearing very thick plot armor woven from the finest cheat codes.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean it has stakes. A show without stakes would be a slice-of-life show like Flying Witch. If team slime's plans went awry then there would be consequences And there are entities in the world that are gunning to bring them down.

The issue, as another poster said, is that there is no tension. At no point does the reader seriously think that team slime will fail in whole or part. Plans usually go exactly to plan. When they don't then the crew are almost always confident that they have it under control (and they do). And when that (rarely) fails Raphael has and will always be there to Deus ex Machina a victory.

The problem is by never ever following through on those stakes, it makes them unreal.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
So there's a stage play now as well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

quote:

The play will portray Slime in various ways, including with balloons by veteran street performer Tarō Fūsen.

He's pretty much been training his entire life for this exact moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpu1JP-fbBE

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Guyver posted:

Volume 13 of the light novel came out and Rimuru is basically a god now.

Tempest as a group is so stupidly overpowered it's insane and it looks like Rimuru has enough souls to turn seven of his buddies into true demon lords.

I just got into this recently and having read a few volumes ahead it's hilarious how much more godly he becomes soon after.

This series is like every good and bad anime trope woven together with a whole lot of self indulgent power scaling but with a surprising amount of depth WRT political intrigue that I've found it compelling enough to want to see how far into the realm of ridiculous it's willing to go.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

We are back with a new season!

There was a recap episode last week but it was just a summary of what happened at Walpurgis.

Since the last season there was a movie but it doesn't tie in to anything, like most anime movies.
There was also a three episode mini set in the Kingdom of Coleus that give a little bit of backstory to some things that might show up later.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

duz posted:

We are back with a new season!

There was a recap episode last week but it was just a summary of what happened at Walpurgis.

Since the last season there was a movie but it doesn't tie in to anything, like most anime movies.
There was also a three episode mini set in the Kingdom of Coleus that give a little bit of backstory to some things that might show up later.

It follows some sad news that the bunny girl spinoff got canceled after being on an indefinite hiatus for over two years and ended on a cliffhanger.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Did the first episode have substantially higher quality animation from the previous seasons or am I misremembering how well they were done before?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did the first episode have substantially higher quality animation from the previous seasons or am I misremembering how well they were done before?

I haven't gone back to compare but it did feel like it was an improvement.

doomrider7 posted:

It follows some sad news that the bunny girl spinoff got canceled after being on an indefinite hiatus for over two years and ended on a cliffhanger.

It had been so long I had completely forgotten about that one.
The one with the three girls is still going strong it seems.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
went to watch this earlier and noticed there was a movie and 3 ONAs/OVAs? are any of them worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Tabletops posted:

went to watch this earlier and noticed there was a movie and 3 ONAs/OVAs? are any of them worth watching?

The movie isn't "bad", but suffers from the fact that it was intended to happen sometime after the Orc Lord or Charybdis since the plot doesn't work for how powerful is at that point in the story. The OVA's are pretty good and decent.