Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

I can't go into exacts due to spoilers(as usual), but Clayman's thing is his overwhelming arrogance combined with a desire to live up to the standard set by his "siblings" in the Clown Posse(yes he's part of that group). The arrogance basically leads him to treat everyone not part of his "family" as little more than disposable tools of varying degrees of quality and importance to his goal of seeking power by awakening.

Laplace commented on this a bit in his discussion with Clayman asking him to take it easy and not rush things.

Well that's fine, but it doesn't address the fact that all we, the viewers, are seeing is just easy victory after easy victory. There's no drama of near defeat, no pathos of seeing someone who thinks they're doing some villainous scheme come undone. There's no emotion for any of the characters that we actually care about, that I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Gyges posted:

This isn't really a series about whether or not out guys can punch harder than their guys. Our guys are super top tier, and instead of trying to rule the world or beat all the bad guys their goal is to have a super sweet city and an awesome time with their bros.

Occasionally we'll actually have a fight where it's an actual battle, but punching things isn't really what this story is about. In this case, the point of Clayman isn't to pose a significant threat where we're worried if the Slime Gang can pull this off. The point is to use a total piece of poo poo to set up a situation where Rimuru and his subordinates have fun cleaning up a mess and in the process establish a better understanding of the true structure of the world. It's a world building info dump delivered by crushing an annoying bully with a massively over inflated ego.

Remember that Rimuru's sworn brother is one of the 3 most powerful entities in the whole world. Half of this season was a straight up slice of life were we learned that Geld is the bestest hero of children everywhere.

Speaking of which, I love that all Orcs rock the fat dad body despite being super strong and fit.

I'm not saying that the conflict needs to be fighting, nor that it necessarily needs to be political intrigue, nor that there even needs to be conflict (I quite liked diaries). At the moment though, the story is putting the conflict front and center, but fails to give it any hooks. It's not interesting, dramatic, nor urgent. It just feels hollow.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
There is something bizarre going on with the mangadex chapter ordering for trinity

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
My problem with slime is that it keeps pretending to have stakes and then completely undermines them.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean it has stakes. A show without stakes would be a slice-of-life show like Flying Witch. If team slime's plans went awry then there would be consequences And there are entities in the world that are gunning to bring them down.

The issue, as another poster said, is that there is no tension. At no point does the reader seriously think that team slime will fail in whole or part. Plans usually go exactly to plan. When they don't then the crew are almost always confident that they have it under control (and they do). And when that (rarely) fails Raphael has and will always be there to Deus ex Machina a victory.

The problem is by never ever following through on those stakes, it makes them unreal.