Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Opening Cutscene
Theme - Spicate ~ 7 Colored Celestial Sphere (English version I guess? Sure, we'll call it that.)

Welcome to the Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars LP! Some nutcase dug this out of his game library and decided that "Hey, I like reading LP's. Maybe I should do one. Let's start with a Visual Novel/JRPG hybrid! That'll be fun and easy and not require a fuckton of transcription!"

What is Conception 2?

Conception 2 is the sequel to Conception: Ore no Kodomo o Undekure!, a game developed by Spike and released in Japan on the PSP in 2012. That game never got an English localization, but that won't have any bearing on Conception 2. Despite being a sequel, Conception 2 shares none of the characters or story from the first one. Both games are self contained. An updated PS4 version of the first game was just announced, but whether or not that ever sees a western release is anyone's guess.

Anyway, Conception 2 is part JRPG and part Visual Novel. It was developed by Spike Chunsoft and released in August, 2013 on the Vita and 3DS. Atlus released it in North America in April of 2014 and the EU in May. In 2016 it was brought to Steam, which is the version I'll be playing for this LP.

The story follows a self insert avatar character in a world where monsters activity skyrocketed 20 years ago. The Star God then got off His almighty rear end and started sending his power down to a bunch of teenagers in order to fight back (Star God is an rear end). Our hero, named Wake Archus by default, is one such teenager. He heads to an Academy in a place called Fort City after his brand appears in order to train and fight against the monsters.

Then he has fantasy not-sex with other teens in order to birth an army of magical warrior spirit children, and the Church backs this completely. That's the basic rundown. Wake and the seven titular heroines go to a church, have mind sex, warrior spirit kids pop out of Matryoshka dolls, and they all go on a monster killing safari through the monster spawning Dusk Circles to put a permanent stop to this nonsense.

Who the hell came up with that premise?

Spike did, mostly. Spike developed the first game and it was published in the same month that they merged with Chunsoft to form what is today known as Spike Chunsoft. Spike Chunsoft then developed the second entry in the series. Chunsoft is responsible for stuff like Dragon Quest 1-5, the Mystery Dungeon franchise, and the Zero Escape collection (999, Virtue's Last Reward, Zero Time Dilemma). They became Spike Chunsoft in 2012 and now have the Daganronpa franchise under their belt as well (which had been started by Spike).

What kind of LP is this going to be?

This will be a screenshot LP, with some video and music links on the side for important pieces like cutscenes or character themes. I don't plan on this being a completionist run. You could 100% this game just by using a couple of save files (due to how the games Database works) and beating the game 1.5 times, but it requires a bit of save scumming and replaying scenes just to get slight variations. I will be putting in the actual dialog for the game, but I will also be having some fun with it. The intention is for this to be a humorous LP so everyone can have a good laugh about it (at least, that's the goal. Actual results may very).

There will also be some thread participation going on, assuming I have a thread that will actually participate of course.

You're opening up decision-making to us? The hell is wrong with you?

There's a list. It's itemized. Going to colour code it some day.

But anyway, here's a few notes on how audience participation is going to work, at least in the beginning.

-The game has 9 endings. One for each of the 7 heroines and 1 where the main character ends up with none of them. There's also a harem ending, because we still live in a time where there's a group of people that thinks dividing your time and your physical/emotional self among multiple partners at once is a desirable goal, instead of the horrifying waking nightmare it would actually be. No, the harem ending will not be an option. I'd like people to participate, but I draw the line at grinding out seven different routes at the same time, on top of all the other grinding that will need to be done. The 'protag ends up with no-one' ending is off the table as well, although we will still be seeing it. It doesn't really interfere with anything, so I'll be weaving it into whatever ending we wind up with.

-I'll be looking to the thread to steer us towards one of the 7 heroine endings.

-The thread will vote on Star Children to put compose Team A(wful). This will be done most likely before every dungeon (or when a bunch of new classes open up).

This seems like a lot of anime bullshit combined with inferior elements of Persona and Disgaea's gameplay. Why pick this game?

I mostly wanted to try and do something that hasn't been done yet. At least I don't think it's been done here. Conception 2 doesn't really fall into a good or bad category for me. I definitely wouldn't rank it in my top 10, but I also don't think it's a horrible game.

Overall, it's an average Visual Novel bogged down by tedious JRPG gameplay. It has a lot of missed potential which is so easily identified that it makes you think the limited budget/timeframe got slashed on short notice and the developers had to scramble to get it ready. Conception 2 needed some polishing that it just did not get. I'm not saying that some minor tweaking or additions would have turned this into a classic, but it might have lifted it out of the realm of average.

Spoilers?

No. I've already found out that at least two other people here have played this or are aware of its existence, which I honestly didn't expect. I kind of doubted there would even be anyone here who knew enough about this game to provide spoilers. I was clearly wrong, so we'll go ahead and put a big old 'No Spoilers' sign on the lawn after all. So no talking about plot events that haven't happened, or referencing events in a character's route that we haven't gotten to. Even if the thread locks in on a certain choice of routes, don't go talking about the ones we aren't doing. I'll be looking into doing a run down of every route at the end of the game.

Naughty Content
Always remember The Dark Id's rule:

It's an anime VN/JRPG, it's going to have risque content, although it's largely limited to particular heroine routes. It doesn't have any actual nudity, but there are a few CG's that you wouldn't want people catching sight of over your shoulder at work. There's also some blood in some event CG's.

The game has an M rating in North America. I will warn in advance of any particularly bad scenes. Also, I know first hand how great SSLP's are for reading during boring work days, so if we run into any embarrassing scenes I'll either censor them (I have an approach to this already in mind) or I'll just link to the CG so the decision is left entirely to you (probably the more considerate option).

That's enough talk though. Let's look to the introduction and kick this whole thing off. Just a heads up, a lot of stuff is front loaded into this intro. It is part VN after all.

Updates
---------------------------------------------------

Prologue/Chapter 1
Update 1 - Take me down to the Fort City
Update 2 - I see a man at the back as a matter of fact; His eyes are as red as the sun
Update 3 - W-W-W-Wake's a mother-father gentleman!
Update 3.5 (Bonding Update) - A little bit of Narika in my life, a little bit of Fuuko by my side
Update 4: I'm talking 'bout you, and you, and you; You're an rear end in a top hat too
Update 4.5 (Bonding Redux): Earth girls are easy; Whatcha gonna do, lil' buckaroo?
Update 5: I'm in love with my Lust; Burning Asmodeus to dust

Chapter 2
Update 6: Everyone is so fake when they shake your hand; And they kiss your rear end 'cause their makin' cash
Update 6.5 (Serina Bonding): I'll never be able to forget you; I wish that I had never met you! (aka The Big Choice: Round 1)
Bonding Focus: Catching up with Chloe (Plus Vote Results)
Bonding Focus: Catching up with Narika
Bonding Focus: Catching up with Ellie
Update 7: Warrior, Disciple, In me the Wishmaster

Chapter 3
Update 8: No one ever looked so Fine
Update 8.5 (Torri Bonding): She's so cold and human; It's something humans do
Bonding Focus: Chapter 3 (Part 1): Ellie, Narika, Chloe
Bonding Focus: Chapter 3 (Part 2): Ellie, Narika, Chloe + The other heroines (Summary)
Update 9: It'll take a lot more than words and guns; A whole lot more than riches and muscle

Chapter 4
Update 10: With no reason to be; just to be somebody somewhere
Update 10.5 (Feene Bonding): Never concerned with status; But still leaving 'em star struck
Bonding Focus: Chapter 4(Part 1): Ellie, Narika, Chloe
Bonding Focus: Chapter 4(Part 2): Ellie, Narika, Chloe
Update 11: Vacation, need a little sun; to break up all the frustration and turn it into love

Chapter 5
Update 12: Let me give you some green color and you will ask for more; You will see that you never felt this way before
Bonding Focus: Chapter 5 (Part 1): Catching up with Feene
Bonding Focus: Chapter 5 (Part 2): Feene, Chloe, Narika
Bonding Focus: Chapter 5 (Part 3): Feene, Chloe, Narika
Update 13: The end of Chapter 5 is combined with the start of Chapter 6.

Chapter 6
Update 13: Part of me is fighting this; but part of me is gone
Update 14: I can't slow down, I can't hold back; Though you know, I wish I could
Bonding Focus: Chapter 6 (Part 1): Feene, Narika, Chloe
Bonding Focus: Chapter 6 (Part 2): Feene, Narika, Chloe
Update 15: Its a quest for glory; Accepting our fate with the power that we own

Chapter 7
Update 16: Have I changed things? Still I fear the answer’s “no”
Bonding Focus Finale: Chapter 7 (Part 1): Feene, Narika, Chloe
Bonding Focus Finale: Chapter 7 (Part 2): Feene, Narika, Chloe
Update 17: A stupid mission and a lethal fight

Final Chapter
Update 18 (Opening Half): First in the line of fire, first into hostile lands; Tanks leading the way
Update 18 (Second Half): First in the line of fire, first into hostile lands; Tanks leading the way
Update 19: In God's creation, supernatural high

Extra Updates
Heroine Endings and Character Analysis
Final Thoughts
Extra Stuff

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

~Current Video List~

Opening Animation: Spicate ~ 7 Colored Celestial Sphere
Update 1: Welcome to Fort City Island
Update 1: Forest Battle
Update 2: Original Core/Pandora Labyrinth
Update 2: Monster Pods
Update 4: Asmodeus Intro
Update 4: Baby's First Dungeon (Battle example video)
Update 7: Gluttony 6F - Apus and Beelzebub fights
Update 8: Alec saves the day
Update 10: Witches of the Seven Stars
Update 11: Pool Party
Update 17: Spoiler for Update 17 - Read that first
Update 17: Also a spoiler for Update 17 - Read that first

~Character Transformation Videos~
:siren:Possible NSFW Warning:siren: - The transformations are very Sailor Moon-esque. You get bodies covered in light and close up of various...parts. I wouldn't watch these in the presence of prying eyes.

Wake Transformation
Fuuko Transformation
Ellie Transformation
Narika Transformation
Chloe Transformation
Serina Transformation
Torri Transformation
Feene Transformation

~Current Music List~
:siren: All of these links have naughty/spoiler warnings on them. Be careful when going to listen to them :siren:

Classmating Intro Music: Close to You
Star Child Creation Music: Congratulations!
Fort City Map Theme: The Map Which Leads to the Future
Battle Music 1: Dungeon Battle 1
Battle Music 2: Dungeon Battle 2 - Latter Half
Boss Music 1: Fatal Seven
Sub-Event Music 1: Routine in 366 Days
Dorm Room Music: Harvest Code
Shop Music: Shop Show
Final Boss Theme: Dusk God's Hymn
Ending Theme: Eternally

Fuuko's Theme: Melody of Footsteps
Narika's Theme: A Little Bit of Courage
Chloe's Theme: Wing of Scarlet
Ellie's Theme: A Quirk of Fate
Serina's Theme: The Opposite Bank of the Heart
Torri's Theme: Monochrome
Feene's Theme: In the Sky of the Native Land

Current Characters

The Hero
Wake Archus: Our hero. You can name him whatever and live out all your little anime guy power fantasies, but LP Hero is going by the default name. Official Wake is a Persona-esque main hero that can solve everyone's problems through the lost art of 'listening to someone'. He is a bit more talkative than a Persona protagonist, but his dialogue is fairly tame and mostly neutral because the game has to maintain some semblance of self-insertness. LP Wake is, by comparison, way more interesting. He has no time for anyone's poo poo, is usually courteous to the ladies (except for Serina), and loves him some transformations. Both LP and Official Wake also have an unsettling obsession with killing monsters. He is the God's Gift, a prophesied saviour that has the power to enter the Dusk Circles and fight.

The Seven Stars
Fuuko Amicus: The first girl Wake meets at the Academy. She thinks she is completely average and not noteworthy in any way. In an unrelated note, she is one of only 7 Elite S-Ranked Female Disciples, is an experienced swimmer, and has bright pink hair that goes to her knees. Totally average girl-next-door.

Narika Shina: One of the girls introduced shortly after Fuuko. Narika is shy, the Vice Class President of Wake's class, and is making efforts to improve her confidence with public speaking. She is also kind to the point that classmates can get away with just dumping responsibilities on her.

Ellie Troit: A girl that met Wake a decade ago when he saved her life. He thought she was dead, but his God's Gift powers managed to keep her alive long enough for the Church to heal her with spells. She's pretty cheerful and is late to school a lot due to her ongoing work for the Church. Has an 'Aheheh' laugh for some reason.

Chloe Genus: Older sister to Chlotz. Chloe is a super genius that graduated from college at 13 or some poo poo and wrote a bunch of scholarly works, then became a teacher at the Academy at the grand old age of 16 or 17. A lot of students go to her for help with homework, life, school events, and love. Like Narika, Chloe doesn't know when to tell people to shut up and give her 5 minutes to herself. She's always being mobbed by a bunch of fans, and it's only getting worse as she starts playing DJ and Japanese Idol.

Serina Leaf: Angry Tsundere. She is a third-year student that managed to work her way to S-Rank instead of just winning the genetic lottery and being placed there by default. She hates how small she is and has an ideal image of what a true S-Rank Disciple should look like. With that delusion goal in mind, she keeps sucking cows dry in the belief that milk will cause her to grow 5 feet taller and 4 cup sizes bustier before she finishes as a Disciple. Keeps telling Wake that she won't forgive him for accidentally touching her chest when she fell on him. Wake does not give a poo poo.

Torri Feiiji: Newest addition to the team, as of Chapter 3. Torri is the closest we've got to Rei Ayanami (every JRPG/anime needs to have one of those to some extent). Enzea was raising her in labs as some kind of monster fighting Disciple experiment thing. As of the start of Chapter 3, it's still a little unclear exactly what her life was like. Oh, she also likes birds because they can fly and flying is symbolic for freedom which is what she wants. Of course she has birds/flight/freedom symbolism, what did you expect from a character named Torri?

Feene Glass: The 7th party member. Feene is the legendary Disciple that all of the other heroines (and Ruby) were fawning over and comparing breast sizes with, for some reason. Blonde, beautiful, an expert swordswoman, Feene has it all (apparently including her own fanclub, because every drat person in this Academy has a fan club, except Wake). She is incredibly polite and grateful to Wake for shutting down the Dusk Circle near her home. Recently started a Photography Club and has Wake taking pictures of her for her friends back home.

Academy Students/Personnel
Chlotz Genus: Chloe's younger brother and the first guy Wake meets on the island. Wake saved him and Fuuko from monsters in the forest and he has been stuck to our hero ever since. He is the Yosuke Hanamura to our Yu Narukami protagonist (it's a Persona 4 thing). He pervs on hot girls a lot, speaks his mind way too often, and gets into various trouble. On a positive note, he has recently done a small amount of growing up by getting a job at AngelMarker and helping to support Wake in the Dusk Circles, along with lending a shoulder to Luce who has gone through a couple of bad times recently (I mean, lending her a shoulder out of genuine concern, not as a way to work his way into her skirt). Those parentheses being said, he does have a crush on her.

Alec Marker: Son of AngelMarker's president and the top Disciple at the Academy. He's a bit of a jerk at times, but it seems like Wake might be wearing down those walls. He manages the Fort City defensive lines, is under a lot of pressure from everyone having major expectations of him, and has to put up with his father's expectations on top of all of that. It's a wonder he hasn't collapsed from a stress induced heart attack.

Triche: Another S-Ranked Disciple. Triche helps Alec manages the defensive lines of Fort City. He's also the Captain of the Fencing Club. Triche has been a really cool dude so far. He let Wake join up with the Fencing Club, complimented him on how skilled he was, then invited Wake out for lunch with some of his friends. Really has a thing for Soba apparently.

Luce: Alec's childhood friend and the girl that Chlotz is crushing on at the moment. She's a member of the Standard Class that really wants to make it to the Elites. Very kind and caring.

Sasami: A straight up bitch from Narika's route, and I don't mean that in a sexist manner. She has spent her first few appearances kicking dirt in Narika's face and tearing the poor girl down for having the gall to be nervous during a major public presentation that was dropped into her lap. She slightly redeems herself, but I still hate her because she's still super smug.

Mr. Watts: A douche bag from Chloe's route. He's a fellow teacher that shakes his cane at Chloe and lectures everyone on 'the way things are supposed to be'. One of those 'old guard' types. That being said, he does have some valid criticisms, even if he delivers them like an rear end in a top hat.

These two guys: They show up in the main route and have conversations with Wake/Chlotz fairly regularly. They have character art unique to them along with a full sprite sheet that includes multiple expressions, just like all of the main characters have. What they do not have are names. I just call them BlueHair and LightBlue.

Aya: A member of the Starball team. She hates men (according to her database entry), and is especially jerkish towards Wake due to how close he is to Feene. Aya is very territorial with Feene and desperately wants her on the Starball team. That's the only meaning behind that.

Church
Mattero: The High Priest in charge of the Fort City Aterra Church and also the Academy Headmaster. He oversees the Classmating ritual that produces Star Children. He would be an okay dude, except he's old and therefore a pervert, hitting or commenting on the much younger female Disciples and female AngelMarker lab staff.

Lucian: A jerkbag colleague of Ellie's. Works for the Gracia Church hunting down something called 'Heretics'. He's a punk that thinks he stands the slightest bit of a chance against Wake and is always trying to pick a fight with him.

AngelMarker
Rhiod Marker: President of AngelMarker and father of both Alec and Enzea. I can't recall if we ever hear what happened to his wife. He's on the stern side, but he does appear to have some pride in his sons. Whether or not you construe that pride as positive or selfish is another matter entirely.

Enzea Marker: Rhiod's oldest son and Alec's brother. He took over management of the Fort City project from his father a few years ago and acts as overseer of the labs on the island. He was responsible for training or raising Torri, it's still a little unclear exactly what their relationship is. Seems like a pretty approachable dude, and Ruby seems to have some kind of school girl crush on him.

Ruby Coiler: gently caress Ruby. Sorry, I should at least give her a profile. Ruby is the Head Researcher at AngelMarker AngelMarker's Fort City Lab an AngelMarker R&D Lab in Fort City. She is a prodigy who teases and strings along young guys that are infatuated with her looks, then hypocritically calls out Mattero for being a pervert. She ostensibly is Wake's 'support team' while in the Dusk Circles, and likes to act like she is in command of the entire operation. She also screws up constantly, intentionally endangers Wake in the name of science, withholds critical information from our heroes, then tries to act like she holds the high ground whenever something goes wrong.

Mark Flask: Another researcher at the AngelMarker R&D Lab in Fort City. Ruby's subordinate. He's been more helpful and cautious than Ruby has, but he's not entirely blameless when it comes to some of the gently caress ups that have happened so far. Overall he's a good dude though. He apparently sucks at naming inventions (the Vis-o-matic communication bracelet and Renda training simulator being two of them). Likes to open up conversations with Wake by saying "Hey, have you heard?"

Training Guy: The dude that seems to run the Redux Training Center in place of Mark (from a shopkeeper view anyway). No clue what his deal is and we don't get a name. I think he looks pretty badass though. Seems to be an AngelMarker employee, but takes their dress code very lightly. No suit can hold this man.

Lab Lady: No name for her either. She runs the Lab Quest Board. Not much else to say. I (ashamedly) have an inexplicable thing for her. She just looks really cute.

Rus: One of the Disciples testing the AngelMarker God Brace. Accompanied Ruby into the Sloth Labyrinth. Quiet dude. Brother of Clau, I think?

Clau: One of the Disciples testing the AngelMarker God Brace. Accompanied Ruby into the Sloth Labyrinth. Quiet girl. Sister of Rus, I think?

Fort City Citizens
Guild Lady: The lady that runs the citizens guild. That's pretty much all I've got on her. She's a shopkeeper and therefore doesn't really get any characterization. I don't even know what to do with her from an LP characterization perspective.

Item Shop Lady: Same thing as the Guild Lady. She runs the Item Shop. No real characterization.

Gift Shop Operator: Runs the Gift Shop, where we can purchase presents for the heroines. Supposedly one of Wake's Star Children as she calls him dad and refers to 'mothers'. Never explicitly stated who her mother is, however. LP Gift Shop Star Child is a money grubbing little devil that only lets Wake buy things in bulk and tries to manipulate his feelings for the heroines to make him spend money.

Takoyaki Guy: He sells Takoyaki. Looks super intense about it.

Scavenger Operator Baki: Runs the Scavenger shop. Technically he's not given any identifying characteristics, like the Gift Shop SC. However, I have decided that he is Baki the Grappler, the Star Child created near the start of the game that has a sweet name.

Notable Star Children
Tuxedo Mask Zorro: Wake and Narika's Thief Star Child. Shares his dad's love of theatrics, but doesn't quite align with them. Is very protective of his mommy.

Felicia: Wake and Fuuko's Thief Star Child. She was voted the first leader of Team A(wful). Is not impressed by the Labyrinths so far.

Luna: Wake and Narika's Merchant Star Child. Frugal, and always looking for a way to maximize profit by selling off the loot from dungeons.

Seth: Wake and Ellie's Cleric Star Child. He's seen some poo poo, man. Also refuses to stop casting heal, even though the party never needs it. Doesn't want to be bored as the group carves a bloody trail through Labyrinths.

Baki: Wake and Narika's Grappler Star Child. User Zanzibar Ham suggested the name and I absolutely could not pass up a chance to have 'Baki the Grappler' on at least one of the teams.

Adrienne: Wake and Chloe's Blacksmith Star Child. User Sword of Dusk provided the name. She is the leader of the second incarnation of Team A(wful). Seems to take after her mother by acting kind of like a teacher while dealing with the other Star Children.

Caine: Wake and Narika's Ether Sniper Star Child. I named him after 'Caine the Longshot' from Trigun. Likes shooting stuff, obviously. Member of Team A(wful) 2.

Aria: Wake and Serina's Hunter Star Child. Name was chosen by the Random Generator. I realized my mistake a little bit too late, as I should have named her 'Aloy', after the character from Horizon: Zero Dawn. Member of Team A(wful) 2.

Rayearth: Wake and Chloe's Magic Knight Star Child. User Commander Keene named her after Magic Knight Rayearth and I made her a daughter of Chloe so that she could look like Hikaru from that series. Leader of Team A(wful) 3.

Selvaria: Wake and Narika's Paladin Star Child. I named her after Selvaria Bles from the Valkyria Chronicles franchise (which I'm a die-hard fan of. gently caress VC2 though). Member of Team A(wful) 3.

Nero: Wake and Feene's Warlock Star Child. Name was chosen by the Random Generator. Member of Team A(wful) 3.

Cecil: Wake and Feene's Dark Knight Star Child. Name was suggested by TracerK. Leader of the final iteration of Team A(wful). They were quite possibly the heaviest hitters out of the three final teams.

Ryusei: Wake and Feene's Lancer Star Child. Name was chosen at random. Leader of Team Just Like Daddy!, which was submitted by Commander Keene. Team JLD filled the Team B slot during the final chapter. They kept the party healed and the final boss tied up while everyone else dealt with the lesser enemies.

Morrigan: Wake and Feene's Witch Star Child. Name was suggested by Sword_of_Dusk. Leader of Team Dusk, which was submitted by Sword_of_Dusk. I randomly decided on a name for this team, since Sword_of_Dusk didn't put one in. They ended up having a really heavy Light element attack by the time they were fully equipped, which worked really well against some of the final enemies.

Others
Monokuma: A crossover boss from Spike Chunsoft's Danganronpa franchise.

Stray: A stray cat that Feene has been caring for. She fed him one day and he's been hanging around her ever since. Feene likes taking pictures of him and sometimes talks to him when she thinks no-one is around.

Millica: A sick little girl in the Field Hospital. She loves to hear Chloe sing because it makes her feel better, but she's still not in the greatest of health. Chloe promised her another concert.

Hospital Director: The Director of the Field Hospital. Doesn't believe singing has any kind of positive health effects on patients, despite the fact that there is an entire system called Curaoke which releases Star Energy through singing and makes people feel relieved. That's right, he's that guy. The one in every fantasy setting that doesn't believe in magic/paranormal/god despite it clearly existing. A hack doctor that has no business being anywhere near sick people, let alone directing their care.

Raul: Feene's friend from her home village. Was reported to have been gravely injured while fighting the monsters. Seems like an awesome and easy guy to hang out with.

~Extra Stuff~

Character Expressions/Portraits
-----------------------------------------------------

The Steam version of this game appears to have just been directly pulled from the Vita by the looks of it. That means that I originally couldn't get any good transparent art assets for it. It's not exactly a blockbuster game, so I couldn't easily find it online either. To be fair, I never really spent all that much time scouring the internet.

I was in the process of painstakingly trying to crop out character heads from screen captures when Commander Keene saved my rear end by pointing me to a site that had the sprite sheets for this game. That helped immensely and is probably one of the only reasons the LP even got off the ground. Unfortunately, the art assets in question still needed work. What kind of work?

This kind of work. Every character portrait was broken into individual pieces. So here is an example of what I had to do for each character before I even get started on swapping out facial expressions. All of those pieces needed to be fit together across multiple layers in order for it to look right. Then I had to crop in each of those facial expressions to get the different portraits, of which each character has like 10. As of Update 2, I'm still not even done with the entire cast. I'm still working on two of the main heroines and something like 10 different NPC characters.

Don't Be A Creep
----------------------------------------------------

I did this after nine-gear-crow brought up the The Dark Id's rule of "DON'T BE A CREEP!" and gave fair warning to everyone not to go creeping over anything we see in this game. Someone asked if anyone still had The Dark Id's Drakengard 3 LP banner to dust off, but I thought I would try making something matching the thread.

Anyway, I'm not great at image editing and all that jazz (refer to the character expression dumpster fire above), so if anyone wants to take a crack at this, I'm more than welcoming of submissions. Chlotz here (redhead in the banner above) is actually a bit of a creeper himself, so I might try editing in a more appropriate 'lecturing' character later.

Edit: I finally added a banner with a character that has a more disapproving look.

Art Assets

For anyone interested in Frankensteining up some art or scenes, here is the post where Commander Keene links to the assets, right at the top of that post.

There are a few ZIP folders of various models and CG's from the entire game, so be aware that you're wandering straight into pure spoilers territory.

Editing Hint (for people like me): If you're working with the character sprites, take them into Paint3D and select an individual piece, copy and paste it to a separate part of the canvas, then erase any little bits of other pieces that got into the selection. When you're done, select the piece and click to make it 3D. You can then move it around and shift it forward or backward to different layers. This is how I got everything to fit together and overlap properly. Make sure to Multiselect all of the interlocking pieces and group them together before trying to copy-paste the complete character portrait.

If anyone else has an easier way to do things, just let me know and I'll swap out my hint for yours.

Silly Search Results

While searching for info on the Conception 1 Remake for PS4 that is releasing in Japan, Google Search decided to return this as part of the image search preview.

The character hunched over holding her mid-section is one of the heroines from Conception 1. I don't know about anyone else, but I found this to be a funny coincidence.

Update Title Song References
-----------------------------------------------------

For whatever reason, I decided to name the Updates using lyrics from songs I have kicking around in my library. Here are the songs that the lyrics came from for each main update:

Update 1 - Take me down to the Fort City ("Paradise City" - Guns N' Roses)

Update 2 - I see a man at the back as a matter of fact; His eyes are as red as the sun ("Ballroom Blitz" - Sweet)

Update 3 - W-W-W-Wake's a mother-father gentleman! ("Gentleman" - PSY)

Update 3.5 (Bonding Update) - A little bit of Narika in my life, a little bit of Fuuko by my side ("Mambo No. 5" - Lou Bega)

Update 4: I'm talking 'bout you, and you, and you; You're an rear end in a top hat too ("Everyone Else is An rear end in a top hat" - Reel Big Fish)

Update 4.5 (Bonding Redux): Earth girls are easy; Whatcha gonna do, lil' buckaroo? ("Ask DNA" - The Seatbelts)

Update 5: I'm in love with my Lust; Burning Asmodeus to dust ("I Wish I Had An Angel" - Nightwish)

Update 6: Everyone is so fake when they shake your hand; And they kiss your rear end 'cause their makin' cash. ("Don't Start A Band" - Reel Big Fish)

Update 6.5 (Catching up with Serina): I'll never be able to forget you; I wish that I had never met you! ("I Know You Too Well" - Reel Big Fish)

Update 7: Warrior, Disciple, In me the Wishmaster ("Wishmaster" - Nightwish)

Update 8: No one ever looked so Fine ("She Bangs" - Ricky Martin)

Update 8.5 (Catching up with Torri): She's so cold and human; It's something humans do ("Lithium Flower" - Scott Matthew)

Update 9: It'll take a lot more than words and guns; A whole lot more than riches and muscle ("The Humbling River" - Puscifer)

Update 10: With no reason to be; just to be somebody somewhere ("Saturday People" - Prozzak)

Update 10.5: Never concerned with status; But still leaving 'em Star Struck ("Remember the Name" - Fort Minor)

Update 11: Vacation, need a little sun; to break up all the frustration and turn it into love ("Vacation" - Vitamin C)

Update 12: Let me give you some green color and you will ask for more; You will see that you never felt this way before ("Move Your Dead Bones" - Dr. Reanimator)

Update 13: Part of me is fighting this but part of me is gone ("When I'm Gone" - 3 Doors Down)

Update 14: I can't slow down, I can't hold back; Though you know, I wish I could ("Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" - Cage the Elephant)

Update 15: Its a quest for glory; Accepting our fate with the power that we own ("Rave-o-lution" - Reel Big Fish)

Update 16: Have I changed things? Still I fear the answer’s “no” ("Why" - Living Illusion)

Update 17: A stupid mission and a lethal fight ("My Favourite Game" - The Cardigans)

Update 18: First in the line of fire, first into hostile lands; Tanks leading the way ("Ghost Division" - Sabaton)

Update 19: In God's creation, supernatural high ("Hard Rock Hallelujah" - Lordi)

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 31, 2018

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Welcome to Fort City Island - Check out the cutscene.

Real quick: Italics dialog is stuff I added to character dialog, bold is just me, parentheses are character's thoughts.

We open on an overhead shot of some kind of fort island in the world of Aterra. The database states it's "A magical world which worships the Star God. The world has prospered through the power of Star Energy, bestowed by the Star God." Star Energy is just the power that let's people use magic.

A boat is approaching the island. I gotta say, I love it when anime cutscenes do bright coastal scenes. Always looks so beautiful.

And off it steps our hero, Wake Archus. That's the default name. You are able to name him yourself when you start the game.

We get another look at the fort before Wake decides to strike a shōnen hero pose, no doubt eliciting mocking laughter from all the dock workers who see this poo poo every time a boat full of fresh meat sails in.

-Forest-

Graaaaaaah!

Girl: Ahhh!

Immediately upon entering the forest, Wake hears the sound of careless idiots about to be monster chow.

What should we do? It's coming towards us!

We'll have to fight it!

Huh!? But we don't have any weapons!

No problem! We're Disciples, after all!

Hrraaaaah!

Here goes! Eat fist, monster!

*futile attempt to punch the sixed-eyed creature made apparently out of pure darkness*

Chlotz!

Why did you think that would work?!

Owww... Man, this thing's good. But you're right where I want... you...

Hrgh... H-Huh? I can't... stand...? Crap... I was hurt more than I thought...

Hrr hrr hrrr!

Is it laughing at me? Come on...

Chlotz!

N-No, Fuuko! It's too dangerous! Stay back!

Forest Battle - Check out the cutscene.

Things aren't looking too good. The monsters gun it straight for Fuuko.

Ahhh!

Until Wake appears and decapitates that sumbitch.

Whoah...

Chlotz is suitably impressed and also nursing his arm since he tried to punch that thing like a dumb rear end.

Huh?

Wake proceeds to show off what actual competence can do.

*stock hero battle grunts*

Oh my gosh.

No way. That's crazy.

Look.

Are you alright?

Ah, yes.

Ready?! Here goes!

You saved us! Man, you're really strong!

Thank you so much! I only just got to this place, and I thought I was already gonna die.

Fuuko, thanking him's good and all, but maybe you should at least stand up first. I mean... we can see up your skirt.

Huh? ...! Eeeek!

Ow! You screamed louder than when you were being attacked by the monster...

Ugh... You jerk!

The player is occasionally given dialog options to decide how Wake should respond. He isn't a silent protagonist though. The game gives him enough dialog to establish a general character while retaining the 'Self-insert' aspect. I'll be skipping these sometimes and giving Wake his own dialog, although I will highlight any particularly amusing/weird options.

Here, I'll lend you a hand.

Th-thanks...

Can you stand?

I'll manage... Um, you're wearing that uniform. Does that mean...?

I'm Wake. The Brand of the Star God appeared on my hand... I just arrived on the island today.

I'm Chlotz. Fuuko here and I just got here, too. We were on the same boat from the mainland.

Mmhmm! I'm Fuuko. It's nice to meet you!

Nice to meet you two, too.

So we're introduced to Chlotz Genus and Fuuko Amicus. Fuuko is obviously one of our main heroines for the game, so we'll be learning plenty about her very shortly. Chlotz is essentially the Yosuke Hanamura to our Yu Narukami hero. That is, the main character helps him out one time and then he attaches himself to you like loving glue for the rest of the game. He also has some other Yosuke traits such as perving on girls, attempting to get the main character to perv on girls, not knowing when to shut up, and getting exasperated when you give him poo poo for anything. However, unlike in Persona 4, our bro here will not be accompanying us into dungeons (thankfully). He will still be with us in spirit, but we'll get to that when the time comes.

I'm sorry, did you say your name was 'Chlotz'?

Uhm... Yeah, why? Have you heard of me before?

No... No I have not. Forget I said anything.

('Chlotz'? Really? What did his parents have against him?)

It was amazing how you defeated those monsters. Since we've all been given the gift of the Brand, we should follow your example.

You should start by carrying a drat weapon with you. Hell, grab a kitchen knife if you're hard up for cash. Just carry something.

The Star God sure is cruel... To think He would give us such heavy burdens when we should be enjoying youth... I mean, that moment when you look down and see the Brand suddenly on your arm... You realize that you have to toss your whole life away and move to this island.

I'm thankful to the Star God. Thanks to Him, I've been given the power to protect the world.

And kill monsters. Especially kill monsters.

That's... Nice.

You're a good one, aren't you? Anyway, once we get to the city, we've got to go to the Church to be tested, right?

They'll tell us what rank of Disciple our Star Energy makes us... I'm so nervous.

Well, there's no doubt that I'm going to be an S Rank. Elite Class all the way!

Huh? Isn't that the class of only the most distinguished Disciples and leaders?

Yep, that's right. Elites are the best of the best. That's why they're called Elites!

And what exactly leads you to believe you'll be one of them? You almost got taken out by a random monster before even making it to the Academy.

Well, it's in my blood, so... Never mind, it's nothing. Let's get going. Come on.

We're given the option to save here, even though you can fast forward dialog and skip cutscenes. You could easily start a new game and get back to this point in seconds.

Here we have Fort City, which is home base and where all the various facilities are located. That's all there is to be said about it right now since we only have the one option. I'll talk more about it and the icons on the left once the game actually gives us a little freedom. For now, we'll just head to the Church to proceed.

The gang arrives at the Church and are immediately met by High Priest Mattero.

We stand in a branch of the Church located at the center of the Fort City. I, Mattero, am the High Priest leading this church.

...Is the High Priest someone important?

I've heard that they're the most important people in the churches in each area...

Guess that makes him pretty important, then...

Now...First I must ask that you three show proof that you are indeed Disciples.

We move into the Ritual Hall so that Mattero can confirm our protagonists are actually legit and not just here on a monster infested fortress island for shits and giggles. I guess?

Uh... We already know we have these Brands. Why are you both awestruck? You guys weren't out in that forest getting high were you?

I believe there is no need to explain...But it is your duty to exterminate the creatures of Dusk with your holy powers.

I'll fight with all I have.

I will kill them all.

Mm, I expect great things from you all.

And possibly a counseling appointment for that boy in the middle.

Umm...

What is it?

This holy power only Disciples have... Exactly what is it again?

Good heavens... Didn't your school teach you anything? Very well, listen closely. The Dusk Circles have been appearing in this world over the past twenty years. The monsters that poured forth from them raised havoc among the people. These creatures could not be defeated with the meager amount of Star Energy we had. But, the Star God began to lend His might to a lucky few among us. In bestowing you Disciples with holy power, He marked you with the Star Brand.

Now, listen carefully... The creation of the Dusk Circles is a direct result of Man's growing desires. The first Dusk Circle appeared here on this island, and represents our cardinal sins. Accordingly, Dusk Circles representing the 7 deadly sins appeared around the world.

So we have 7 Dusk Circles, representing the 7 deadly sins, along with 7 heroines. See where this is going? If you said 'nowhere at all', then congratulations! You're right!

Ohh! It's finally time!

I have high hopes that you will all be selected as the Elite "Nemesis Hunters."

(It can't be...)

What are those?

It means "those who hunt with a vengeance." It's become a nickname for the Elite class.

That's a relief. For a second there I thought we were about to suit up in our STARS jackets.

You are an odd young man. Regardless...

As I have said, the Qualifying Exam is held at the AngelMarker R&D. Go there, and seek out Chief Ruby, who is in charge of administering the examination.

We'll do our best!

*Wake, Fuuko, and Chlotz leave*

My, we have some truly...*clears throat* well-developed female Disciples this year.

Mattero is our pervy old guy. It's basically JRPG law that once you hit your 60's you have to creepily perv on young women. The game takes a few twists with some of the characters on display here, but Mattero is unfortunately not one of those cases. How loving mind blowing would it be if Mattero was actually just a perfectly respectable and universally likable authority character? But no, he's old so therefore a perv.

That old coot seemed kind of fishy.

...You think so?

Fishy is not the word I would have used, but sure, let's go with that for now.

Even so, you shouldn't be asking basic questions like that of a Church elder. Did you ever attend classes wherever you grew up, Chlotz?

What, do you want to test me? Go ahead, ask me anything.

Then tell us about Disciples, Mr. Encyclopedia.

Sure thing. Disciples are people like us, who receive the Star Brand through the Star God. The Brand indicates that we've been granted more Star Energy than the average person. By the way, I received my Brand when I was taking a bath. I felt something like lightning run up my arm, and I looked down... and there it was!

Made you feel like you were being electrocuted while you were in the water? The Star God really punked you there, man.

I told you He's cruel.

Additionally, only people between the ages of 16 and 18 receive the Star Brand. The Brand disappears before we reach maturity, and our holy power goes with it.

That last part, and the Star Brand/Star Energy connection in general, is a little dodgy I recall. I'll get into that when specific moments pop up. There's also a good chance I'm just not remembering some hand wave the game does at some point.

The Star God has bestowed His power on us since the first Dusk Circle, twenty years ago.

Is there anything else you wanna ask about?

Asking about monsters just provides a basic rundown about what this world is dealing with. Monsters have always existed in this world, but twenty years ago they got way stronger and started spawning in bigger numbers because of an increase in Dusk Energy and the appearance of Dusk Circles. There are eight open circles in the world with the largest and oldest one being in Fort City. Monsters and monster nests are constantly spawning from them and there's basically jack poo poo humans can do about it other than stem the tide, even with the Star Energy provided by the Star God. The reason for that will be explained soon. Also, not all of the Dusk Circles are completely active yet, so there's a bunch of ticking time bombs just sitting in various parts of the world.

Alright, alright. You've proven that you're not as dumb as you act.

Come on man, don't be a dick about it. I was totally being helpful.

Well, now that we all know that I did get an education... Let's head to where the Qualifying Exam is being held!

So this is where we'll be taking the Qualifying Exam.

Fancy.

It sure looks like the place.

Excuse me.

Kind of thought that would be obvious with our uniforms.

Come on Wake, be nice.

We're new Disciples, here to take the Qualifying Exam.

New Disciples? Oh, good. Welcome to AngelMarker R&D. I'm Mark, a researcher here.

This is Mark Flask, and he is a pretty cool dude. As one of the lead researchers at the lab, we'll be seeing a lot of him. He is genuinely helpful and I don't recall him having any annoying quirks. He apparently just sucks at naming inventions/creations.

Nice to meet you!

Likewise. Sorry about the snark, it's a habit.

Oh, no worries. If I let little quirks like that bother me I would have been out of this job long ago.

Huh? Why is that?

Oh, uh... Just thinking aloud. Don't mind me. More importantly...

Chief Ruby! The Disciples have arrived!

And here we have Ruby Coiler. Ruby is...well she's not exactly an irritating character, but she has a pretty glaring weakness that won't be revealed until later in the game and the ramifications it brings won't be fun.

Good Stars...! That is one smokin' hot tomater!

Keep it in both your pants and head, Chlotz.

Right?

Chlotz, your inner thoughts are falling out through your mouth.

You're an honest young lad. I like that. I might have a nice reward for you later.

S-seriously?

Hot drat!

Oh yeah, and she is also an authority figure that acts questionably around the academy students, like Mattero does. The database describes it as a "penchant for teasing her subordinates", but let's call it how we see it. She is using her looks and the fact that teenagers are horndogs to get the guys into doing poo poo for her. We'll run into an example as soon as we get to the Academy proper.

(Great, less than a minute and Chlotz has eagerly wrapped himself around her finger. Are there any authority figures here that aren't future inmates?)

Don't tease the new meat, Ruby.

I know, I know.

*whispering* I'll have plenty of time for that later.

Chief!

Right, moving on.

So, you're the new Disciples that were scheduled for today. Mattero's told us about you. I've already confirmed your identities with your names and faces. I hope we get along.

I hope so too.

Chlotz, tone it down. She would eat you alive.

Sweet.

Not a good thing, champ.

Let's see... Is there anything you'd like to know before we administer the Exam?

More question time!

Well... (Better get some information about this place. Might come in handy when I inevitably have to rescue Chlotz from some freaky sex dungeon.)

What's the deal with this lab?

Very well. This research lab is completely financed by AngelMarker Industries. It's actually under the direct management of AngelMarker. We mainly develop new means of fighting against monsters here. Is there anything else?

She doesn't get into it much, but here's a quick database entry. "AngelMarker Industries is a world-renowned company. They are a main source of funding for the Academy, and have many connections to the Church and the government." I don't think what they did prior to 20 years ago is elaborated on, but they basically swooped in when this whole monster business took off and started establishing themselves as saviours by building up counters to the monsters. They are a big deal in this world.

Chlotz keeps rambling about ranks. What are they exactly?

All Disciples that are transferred to this Academy undergo a Qualifying Exam. The results of this exam determine the classes you will belong to. Students are divided into either Standard or Elite classes. Elite Disciples are ranked from A to F. There is also an S Rank of Elites: a very few people with outstanding skills. These Disciples are considered to be especially exceptional here at the Academy.

Wow. You're really setting those sights high Chlotz. Might want to temper your expectations a bit.

No way, that describes me to a tee. Just you watch.

How many S Rank Disciples are there?

That's really low!

That's pretty Elite all right. Seriously Chlotz, lower that bar for yourself.

Shut up! I-I can still make it... maybe.

Still, Disciples who perform well on their Qualifying Exam can increase in Rank. I hope you all work hard to become S Rank Disciples.

Especially you Chlotz. Make sure you give me everything you've got.

Alright, I think that's enough for one day.

I'm with Fuuko. Let's just get this over with so the two of us can get the hell out of here.

Let's move on to the Qualifying Exam, then. Chlotz, you're first.

Of course.

Then Fuuko, and you'll be last, Wake.

Alright! S Rank, here I come!

Chlotz is up. So how does Mr. "I'm going to be Hokage, believe it!" score?

There, you're done. You are in the Elite class, Chlotz. Your rank is B, Congratulations.

...Seriously? I'm not an S Rank!? No way!

A shame too, I was expecting more out of you.

drat it... Come on, Star God! Why couldn't you just let me have this?

That's still impressive. You're an Elite!

Stop being such a baby just because you didn't get an extra gold star.

Don't you think so, too?

Gotta side with Fuuko on this one. Better than being standard class, right?

I'm not as good as I wanted though...

Hey, I told you to lower that bar. Not our fault that you ran headfirst into it instead.

Male Disciples usually average around 50, so it is rather impressive.

Mm, there may be hope for you yet.

Really? Hear that Wake!? 60! Beat that.

Yes Chlotz, we're all proud of you for being slightly above average.

There are six magic elements in this world: Fire/Water/Wind/Earth/Ether(Light)/Dusk(Dark). Ether is the only element that can harness Star Energy, and Star Energy cannot circulate in places without Ether. People in those Etherless regions are hosed when it comes to using magic.

You're next, Fuuko. Come on into the simulator.

I'll do my best!

Fuuko is up next. How will she stack up? I'm kidding, she's a main heroine. We already know her rank.

Impressive results. She has a great deal of Star Energy.

Amazing, Fuuko! You're not only an Elite as well, but you're an S Rank!

Seriously...?

Why do you have to keep dumping on me Star God?

This is some kind of joke, right?

Physical fitness isn't an indication of a Disciple's natural gifts.

And no, the fact that the current S Rank Disciples are all slim and battle ready does not disprove that.

Bastard. Cutting me off at the pass, huh?

It's a habit.

Also, according to the Church's records... Female Disciples with a great deal of Star Energy are more likely to be S Rank. The Academy now has another S Rank Disciple among its ranks. This is a great day.

It certainly is. We finally have a replacement for Sarah. May she rest in peace.

Should I be concerned about that comment?!

Heavens no. Just thinking out loud again. Pay it no mind.

Well... In any case, I'm glad for you Fuuko. And I'm not just saying that because the look on Chlotz's face was hilarious.

But will I really be okay being an S Rank?

Man, I'm so jealous! You're seriously lucky!

I think Sarah made that pretty clear.

Well, you're last. We've had a good run today, so let's finish this with a bang.

Make sure it's-

Stop doing that.

*sighs* You're no fun at all.

We're going to use a simulator to examine you. When the holographic target is displayed, attack it with all your might. We will monitor that and calculate your abilities. Let's get started.

There's a brief bit of actual gameplay here, but all it does is tell you how to move the camera and open a door. Then you enter a "battle" where the only two options are 'Press Attack' and 'Move to a different spot and Press Attack there'. There's another tutorial fight in a bit that actually gives us some kind of information, so I'm going to slot a piece of that one in now to give us a break from dialog.

To quickly go over what we've got here, dungeons work very similarly to other dungeon-crawlers. Floors are randomized every time, and you run from room to room looking for items and battling. The goal in these Labyrinths is to reach that portal we see in front of us. In this case it gets us out of the test dungeon, but in actual gameplay these portals will mostly be leading to the next floor. Also, the 3D portions look like blurry rear end since this wasn't optimized for PC. This is the closest to the Vita's screen size it can get. There's also near constant movement which makes screenshotting a pain.

Enemies are visible when in a room (they don't appear in connecting corridors as far as I recall). Running into them starts a battle. It's all very basic stuff. The enemies are capable of pulling some dick moves later on, but I'll highlight those when they happen. These test enemies just slowly roam around the area.

Here we have the battle screen. The blue arrow along the top right is indicating which direction the selected units are attacking from. All enemies have a weak spot somewhere, with some having multiple, that will cause bonus damage. The blue attack direction arrow turns red when you select an angle of attack that will hit the monster's weak spot.

I've taken these screens from a tutorial later on. In the actual game, this tutorial just gives you a rundown on camera controls and then asks you to press attack. It's a little confusing as to why they bothered with it at all, since it tells us nothing of real importance. Because the full battle tutorial is a little lengthy, we'll stop it here for now. I'll go over it in detail later, probably in a post dedicated to it. This is all we need to know for the time being.

-Laboratory-

A, huh...

Kind of disappointing to be honest...

Hrgh... That's higher than mine. Not bad, man!

Wow, thanks Chlotz! You sure are supportive!

I hate you so much right now.

I know, and that amuses me.

We're all Elites! Don't start complaining about not being super on your first day.

We just went over this with Chlotz.

Yeah, you're right. At least I've got a goal I can work towards. That's good motivation.

Oh, hold on a moment. Before you exit the simulator, we're going to calculate your Ether Count.

Can you at least let me have this one, Star God? Please? I promise to pray extra hard to you.

*screen flashes. Laboratory shakes. Warning sirens/beeps going off*

What's wrong? ...What the--? His Ether Count is... It's more than 1500! It's off the scale!

Oh, gently caress you Star God!

Is the Renda malfunctioning?

No, this isn't a malfunction. His body is generating a fantastic amount of Ether!

H-Hey guys?! I'm not going to explode or something am I?!

I-I'd really like to know that too, actually!

Seconded!

You're kidding, right? This is over 30 times the average Ether Count...

The Ether detector can't take any more!

Still waiting on that answer!

Same here!

*Shaking stops. There's a short-circuit noise, then a fizzling sound*

Good, I'm still in one piece. Someone mind explaining what that was all about?

Don't tell me, is this boy...?

He has to be. He's the one the Church has been waiting for...

This is how the game normally gets around referring to Wake by name in voice acted segments, since his name can be changed. It's similar to how the Persona protagonists are referred to as 'Leader', or how Tidus in Final Fantasy X is 'that moron over there'. Wake will be referred to as 'God's Gift'. Not all the time mind you, they still have moments where his name will show up in dialog and the character voicing the line will just cut it short or omit his name.

Uhh... what?

As you know, Ether Density is extremely low within Dusk Circles. That's why Disciples can't use their Star Energy in them and can't fight properly. Because of this... We've only been able to intercept monsters that leave the circles.

So ignoring the fact that Ruby just pulled an 'As you know', we learn that this is the reason why humanity has been kind of boned these last 20 years. Dusk Circles have very little Ether, which means that Star Energy is useless in there (it needs Ether to circulate). The pitiful amount of Ether in the male Disciples hasn't been enough to overcome that either. So Disciples can't fight effectively in there, even with their Star God boosted Brand powers. This is a problem, since the dusk circles are kinda the source of the monster issue.

But your body is naturally exuding an incredible amount of Ether. So much so that it's possible to create a battlefield within the Dusk Circles.

Um... Is it safe for us to be standing next to him?

Trust me, the closer you stand to him the safer you'll be.

*grips on to Wake's arm*

I'm going to ask you to stop doing that.

*grips Wake's other arm*

You have 5 seconds before I knock you out.

This means that you can fill the space around you with Ether, even inside the Circles. So much so that you can use Star Energy there. If other Disciples and Star Children are by your side, they can fight as well.

That sounds... great!

He's the greatest ray of hope since the Dusk Circles were born.

That's a pretty heavy statement to lay on me Chief.

I've never even heard of such a thing until now.

There's never been a male Disciple who created this much Ether. Never. You truly are a gift from God.

Getting really uncomfortable now. You guys aren't about to start kneeling at my feet, are you?

The significance of this is so great that I can't even bring myself to innuendo that.

Man, I have some amazing classmates.

Just so happy for all of you.

Since you're a God's Gift, I'm going to give you this.

It's a special device that male Disciples with high Ether Counts can equip. All weapons you use while using this will be strengthened further by your Ether.

That's so cool! I want one too, Chief Ruby!

Your Ether Count isn't high enough to make it effective. You won't get any result from having one.

I... Oh.

But my Ether Count is higher than average...

And Fuuko, this is for you.

They're advanced weapons that compress the wielder's Star Energy into coherent energy.

Wow! That's awesome!

These are specially made for S Rank Disciples with high amounts of Star Energy. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that they've been made for people like you.

Oh... I hope I'll be able to master such expensive-looking weapons.

What's to master? They're guns. As long as you don't point them at your face like a dumb rear end then you're pretty much golden. They don't seem to have finite ammo, so spray and pray away baby.

I really don't think that's a good idea...

One more thing about the Ether Amp and the Dusk Breakers. This is an innovative feature, so I hope I don't gush over it too much.

I'd prefer it if you didn't gush over it at all, or anything else for that matter.

Don't be like that. I have a feeling you're going to love this.

Activating it during battle absorbs holy power from the wielder's Brand. It then envelops the user's body with a combat suit.

Yeeeeesssss...

In other words, it puts you into battle mode.

Th-That's so cool! You can even transform in a fight, too!?

I am one hundred percent on board with this God's Gift poo poo now.

Chief Ruby, please! I really want one, too!

You'll be issued a mass-produced Dusk Breaker later.

That's not fair. I say this is Rank discrimination!

Seriously. Did I accidentally kick a shrine on the way over here?

Chief Ruby, I've finished the report to the Church.

Thanks.

You make me feel so appreciated Chief.

Hm? What was that?

Nothing.

I'm sorry for the trouble, but we'd like you to return to the Church right now. It seems Mattero wishes to speak with you regarding "Classmating".

Class-whatting?

Alright! Let's hurry back to the old guy's place!

Y-Yeah! You guys have fun. I'm going to go and... train for a bit...

Chlotz, we were told that you don't need to come.

Huh!? Why not!?

That includes you Fuuko.

Darn it...

*sniff* That's not cool... This really is Rank discrimination...

Also, you three are all second-years, correct? The Elites are divided into one class per year, so you'll all be in the same class. Make sure you get along well together. Now, hurry up and get going. I'm sure Mattero is waiting for you.

Sure... thanks...

And we will (mercifully) stop there for today. Join in next time as Wake continues to get bashed in the face with a copy of Encyclopedia Aterra, Chlotz finally pisses off for a while, and we learn where babies come from. Who knows? Maybe we'll finally be able to start playing the game and get cracking on this whole monster problem (Hint: Not likely).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 23, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Psycho Knight posted:

No. I've already found out that at least two other people here have played this or are aware of its existence, which I honestly didn't expect.

Third here. Although I've never finished the game. Good luck with this.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

BlazeEmblem posted:

Third here. Although I've never finished the game. Good luck with this.

That seems to be a reoccuring message with people and this game. Anyone who has heard of this seems to have only played a little bit. My friend tried it from Gamefly or some other such rental service back when it first came out and didn't finish it either.

Apparently I'm some kind of aberration. In an attempt to convince people that I'm not entirely out of my mind, I will add that I did not pursue Platinum for this game. I did one route only.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Well I've previously heard this game was a thing but never bothered to investigate further.

So... did I miss it or did they just never address whether female Disciples have Ether counts and we kind of just have to infer they don't?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

namehereguy posted:

Well I've previously heard this game was a thing but never bothered to investigate further.

So... did I miss it or did they just never address whether female Disciples have Ether counts and we kind of just have to infer they don't?

From what I gather, they don't. Females have Star Energy, so they can use magic where Ether is dense enough. Males have Ether, but I think they also have some Star Energy, just not on the level of Females. I don't remember if any Male is seen using magic.

The Star Children explanation seems to revolve around the Male=Ether, Female=Star Energy idea, but we'll hear about that in the next update.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Psycho Knight posted:

That seems to be a reoccuring message with people and this game. Anyone who has heard of this seems to have only played a little bit. My friend tried it from Gamefly or some other such rental service back when it first came out and didn't finish it either.

Apparently I'm some kind of aberration. In an attempt to convince people that I'm not entirely out of my mind, I will add that I did not pursue Platinum for this game. I did one route only.

I didn't hate it, I just got bored of it after a while and decided to play something else. I have made it to about halfway through, at least.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
One thing, you might want to remove a couple of the redundant lines in the Mattero meeting. I am looking for to seeing where this goes.

Psycho Knight posted:

Mm...Indeed, you are all Disciples, guided here by the hand of the Star God.

For the past twenty years, the people of the world have lived in fear of monsters. I believe there is no need to explain...But it is your duty to exterminate the creatures of Dusk with your holy powers.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

The game has some interesting ideas but it just can't ever shake the feeling that it is trying to hop on the Persona bandwagon and failing. There was some fun in setting up parties but the game itself is just so aggressively mediocre and forgettable.

Your added dialogue really helps liven up the story and helps what are otherwise pretty bland characters.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

mateo360 posted:

One thing, you might want to remove a couple of the redundant lines in the Mattero meeting. I am looking for to seeing where this goes.

Thanks, I thought I got all of that. This might be something to specifically keep an eye out for in the future, due to the fact I do all transcription first before inserting screenshots.

The goal is to have this archived when it's all said and done, so I'd really appreciate it if any spelling or similar errors were pointed out whenever they are spotted.

Dragonturtle posted:

The game has some interesting ideas but it just can't ever shake the feeling that it is trying to hop on the Persona bandwagon and failing. There was some fun in setting up parties but the game itself is just so aggressively mediocre and forgettable.

Your added dialogue really helps liven up the story and helps what are otherwise pretty bland characters.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to balance my added dialog though. I feel like I used it too much starting about halfway through. I'll find a good mix as this goes on.

It certainly has the Persona feel. As I stated in the opening, I don't consider the game bad exactly, but yes, it is very average and not overly memorable. If the gameplay had gotten a lot more polish then there might have been something to it. There are also flashes of interesting plot points in some routes, but they are largely dropped or ignored. One of the heroine routes could have been a story or chapter in itself, but if you don't do her specific route then the only hint of it you get that any of it exists is a couple of throwaway nouns during the main story.

Anyway, looking to have the second update out by the weekend. I have a busy week, but the transcription is already three quarters done, so it's just a matter of screencapping and popping in the character portraits. I'll also post a mini-update sometime this week that gets the battle system out of the way. It's dense as hell for a game with no selectable difficulty and disgustingly easy base gameplay. I didn't pay attention to like half the battle system functions during my play through and still never had trouble.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

Naughty Content

It's an anime VN/JRPG, it's going to have risque content, although it's largely limited to particular heroine routes. It doesn't have any actual nudity, but there are a few CG's that you wouldn't want people catching sight of over your shoulder at work. There's also some blood in some event CG's.

The game has an M rating in North America. I will warn in advance of any particularly bad scenes. Also, I know first hand how great SSLP's are for reading during boring work days, so if we run into any embarrassing scenes I'll either censor them (I have an approach to this already in mind) or I'll just link to the CG so the decision is left entirely to you (probably the more considerate option).

That's enough talk though. Let's look to the introduction and kick this whole thing off. Just a heads up, a lot of stuff is front loaded into this intro. It is part VN after all.

Mod Reminder: As with all... questionable JRPGs of this pedigree, no pun intended, the Dark Id Rule of DON'T BE A CREEP! is in play out of the gate and will be enforced without mercy until the LP is over. Feel free to look at the poop, and comment on the poop to your heart's content, but do not touch the poop or make poop of your own to share with everyone. If you're unclear of what that means, do not hesitate to ask your friendly moderation staff for clarification -- or don't and post away, but don't be surprised if you get sent to cat jail.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Personally, I think the most offensive thing about this game is the font.

I mean how the gently caress is this acceptable :supaburn:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Will you be able to later link a video of a battle, once it's appropriate? I'm not exactly sure from your description how it works. The monsters have ways to dissuade you from just always attacking from their weak directions, right?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fedule posted:

I want to say that at least it isn't papyrus or comic sans, but Sans and Papyrus are now awesome and I feel bad for comparing them to this game.

Anyone still has the "don't be a creep" banner from Draken 3? We'll need it I think.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Will you be able to later link a video of a battle, once it's appropriate? I'm not exactly sure from your description how it works. The monsters have ways to dissuade you from just always attacking from their weak directions, right?

That will be part of the battle mini update. I'll upload the video of the in-depth tutorial fight the game does in a bit. I'll also briefly touch on it again with another video once the game actually takes the training wheels off and let's us do something. The first few tutorial fights only let us press attack until it ends.

They do not have a way to stop you though. Well, they mostly don't. Attacking weak points isn't the effective method though. You'll actually avoid weak points in a lot of cases. We'll see that soon when the battle update drops.

Fedule posted:

I'm not super familiar with font names, since I mostly just write essays and therefore do not get 'exploratory'. Anyone want to take a stab at what that font is? I notice that 'i' is sitting way too far into lowercase 'L' s personal space for one thing.

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

Mod Reminder: As with all... questionable JRPGs of this pedigree, no pun intended, the Dark Id Rule of DON'T BE A CREEP! is in play out of the gate and will be enforced without mercy until the LP is over. Feel free to look at the poop, and comment on the poop to your heart's content, but do not touch the poop or make poop of your own to share with everyone. If you're unclear of what that means, do not hesitate to ask your friendly moderation staff for clarification -- or don't and post away, but don't be surprised if you get sent to cat jail.

Thanks for that. I didn't remember anything overly questionable (other than the barbie doll Sailor Moon transformations I guess) when I was doing the updates, but then I went through the event CG assets and was like :stare: I think it's for the best if I link anything like that rather than include it in the update proper. Scrolling past that kind of stuff at work or school or whatever, sucks. I've had it happen, although thankfully no-one was around at the times. So then it becomes a job of scrolling up just far enough to see dialog or text without the image getting in there.

Also: "questionable JRPGs of this pedigree, no pun intended," Nice. I admit, that took me a second.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 2, 2018

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Well this certainly seems like a... Strange concept for a game. I look forward to seeing how weird this anime husbandry gets.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Omobono posted:

Anyone still has the "don't be a creep" banner from Draken 3? We'll need it I think.

I have the D3 version, at least the initial version that Dark ID had in his OP.

I could do a version specific to this thread though, if that's fine. I have some ideas that tie into my original 'censor that poo poo' plan. Hopefully the transparent art asset I need exists though. I don't recall seeing it in the folders I have, and trying to crop it out looks like a serious pain. I'll check it out when I get back.

Tenebrais posted:

Well this certainly seems like a... Strange concept for a game. I look forward to seeing how weird this anime husbandry gets.

Everything with the Star Children is weird, that's for sure. Just, everything.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

If its an RPG released in America, I've played it. I played about 20 hours before the failed execution and bad gameplay chased me off, so glad to see this. This game came out during a 3DS drought, so pretty much all my friends played it too. Linked the thread to them since I don't think any of them finished it either, so assuming the preview mode is on you got a bunch of lurkers.

I'm actually a fan of the concept in this series, but I don't really think the execution could get worse.
Like magical mind babies? Awesome. Them actually just being generic gameplay pieces with no actual relevance, personality, or literally anything interesting about them? Hello my most hated thing about games. It goes from quirky thing that maybe got you to buy the game to "exact same as pushing X to attack".

I'm likely gonna try playing along a bit since well I'm a perfectionist and if I see one route I gotta try to see em all.

I don't remember especially liking any of the characters so I'm gonna pre-emptively vote Go after the hardest route to maybe make it easier on me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably vote for whoever ends up having the dumbest name (so right now Chlotz).

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

MythosDragon posted:

If its an RPG released in America, I've played it. I played about 20 hours before the failed execution and bad gameplay chased me off, so glad to see this. This game came out during a 3DS drought, so pretty much all my friends played it too. Linked the thread to them since I don't think any of them finished it either, so assuming the preview mode is on you got a bunch of lurkers.

I'm actually a fan of the concept in this series, but I don't really think the execution could get worse.
Like magical mind babies? Awesome. Them actually just being generic gameplay pieces with no actual relevance, personality, or literally anything interesting about them? Hello my most hated thing about games. It goes from quirky thing that maybe got you to buy the game to "exact same as pushing X to attack".

I'm likely gonna try playing along a bit since well I'm a perfectionist and if I see one route I gotta try to see em all.

I don't remember especially liking any of the characters so I'm gonna pre-emptively vote Go after the hardest route to maybe make it easier on me.

Good to know. I'm working on getting updates out as fast as possible for the time being to try and build some kind of base audience.

You'll have to cast your vote for a specific character (or I guess you could cast it for a theme, like 'most hosed up'). The routes don't have difficulties themselves, since they are part of the VN aspect of the game. Besides, let's be honest, even if there was actual gameplay associated with the heroine routes, voting for the hardest one would change nothing. If you played even a bit of this game (and your friends beat it) then you know full well how brutally you can break enemies over your knee. I didn't use half the battle systems that are about to be explained and I also had DLC weapons equipped that decimated the heroine's speed stat (which is the one true stat). The only boss that even remotely rung the difficulty bell was basically a gimmick fight.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'll probably vote for whoever ends up having the dumbest name (so right now Chlotz).

Chlotz technically does have a route. We will be seeing his either way though.

The opening video I uploaded is the Japanese version (which I actually didn't catch until after the thread was posted), but all the heroine names are shown in the opening, so there's no real spoilers here. The girls are Fuuko, Narika, Feene, Tori, Serina, Ellie, and Chloe. So I guess out of those maybe Feene or Tori would be your choice? The other names are fairly mundane, even the Japanese ones like Narika.

I'm going to go into a bit of a rant about the name 'Chlotz' when we get access to the Database function (we can technically view it right away in the main menu, but I'm waiting for in-game access). Everyone else in this game has either a regular rear end name or one that's kinda weird, but Chlotz is just... I don't know what to make of that man. I do know that both Atlus and Spike Chunsoft share the blame for it.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 2, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tori means bird or something, doesn't it? Feene does sound the silliest if you ignore Chlotz.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fuuko is the worst name.

By Hard, I meant the one that forces you to suffer the most to get, whether in getting or actually going through. I remember like none of the gameplay, just the fact that it was bad and tedious. I remember next to none of this game in general besides my initial interest in the concept and the girls faces.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MythosDragon posted:

Fuuko is the worst name.

By Hard, I meant the one that forces you to suffer the most to get, whether in getting or actually going through. I remember like none of the gameplay, just the fact that it was bad and tedious. I remember next to none of this game in general besides my initial interest in the concept and the girls faces.

If you google 'Fuuko' you'll find RL people with that name.

If you google 'Feene' you get links to this game, and an urban definition claiming it means "A person who is highly addicted to a substance and desperate to get high."

So I think Feene wins the worst name award.

Sientara
May 27, 2012

I am ashamed to admit that I platinum-ed this game. The story bits are hilarious, but the gameplay kinda tedious. Fun fact: if you pay close attention to the floor textures in the Vita version, you can see the line between the high and low quality textures shift. :eng101:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Sientara posted:

I am ashamed to admit that I platinum-ed this game. The story bits are hilarious, but the gameplay kinda tedious. Fun fact: if you pay close attention to the floor textures in the Vita version, you can see the line between the high and low quality textures shift. :eng101:

You are a crazier person than I. Not that I don't get it. I've seen my friend jump through all sorts of ridiculous hoops for trophy/achievement purposes.

I'll keep an eye out when I go to record more footage, but I'm pretty sure the Steam version is so stretched out that I wouldn't be able to notice that.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

If you google 'Fuuko' you'll find RL people with that name.

If you google 'Feene' you get links to this game, and an urban definition claiming it means "A person who is highly addicted to a substance and desperate to get high."

So I think Feene wins the worst name award.

Yeah, Fuuko is just a Japanese name. Feene and Chlotz appear to just be stupid localization decisions.

Alright, so battle update is going well. Also made more progress than I thought on the next full update. If I'm judging it correctly then the next update should take us right up to the point where we start getting to actually play. I'd prefer to get out of the intro exposition dump soon so that I can actually do things, like grind. I also have a long weekend coming up because :canada:, so that'll be a good time to get solid work done.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Psycho Knight posted:

Yeah, Fuuko is just a Japanese name. Feene and Chlotz appear to just be stupid localization decisions.

I really don't get why you'd even bother "localizing" things like that in this day and age. Now don't get me wrong, there are still JRPGs who do have name changes from Japanese to American, but usually they make more sense.

Closest thing that comes to mind offhandedly is Xenoblade 2 - one of its main characters was named "Homura" in Japanese because of the name's association with fire, and it was the element she was affiliated with in the game. In the translation she got renamed to Pyra - a different name, but with the same connotations. Simple, sensible, and fit in with the rest of the translated names nicely.

Here I have no idea what the hell they were going for with these renames. I guess they were going for a pseudo-European thing? It just reminds me of good-bad localizations from the old days.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There's nothing wrong with the font per se, it's just that it was kerned by Lucifer, Prince of Darkness.

You said this was ported from the Vita or something, right? My guess is they tuned it for the Vita, then put in a more HD font and didn't bother fixing the spacing and alignment. Lots of HD ports have that sort of slapdash look to them, though this case is impressively bad.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Snark posted:

Here I have no idea what the hell they were going for with these renames. I guess they were going for a pseudo-European thing? It just reminds me of good-bad localizations from the old days.

Maybe she has fish-powers (ie 'fin')? I doubt she'll be as good as Pia from RF3 either way.

Chlotz is just beyond anything even close to a guess from me.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Dr. Snark posted:

I really don't get why you'd even bother "localizing" things like that in this day and age. Now don't get me wrong, there are still JRPGs who do have name changes from Japanese to American, but usually they make more sense.

Closest thing that comes to mind offhandedly is Xenoblade 2 - one of its main characters was named "Homura" in Japanese because of the name's association with fire, and it was the element she was affiliated with in the game. In the translation she got renamed to Pyra - a different name, but with the same connotations. Simple, sensible, and fit in with the rest of the translated names nicely.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe she has fish-powers (ie 'fin')? I doubt she'll be as good as Pia from RF3 either way.

Chlotz is just beyond anything even close to a guess from me.

Okay, so I was going to save it for a future update, but I can still pop it in here.

According to one of the people from Atlus localization, Spike Chunsoft had already romanized the names for the characters a little. So in Feene and Chlotz's case, Spike ran up to them like a grade schooler proud of their art class project and presented 'Fine' and 'Clotsurough'.

Now for 'Fine', Atlus just kind of altered the look of the name to match the sound, resulting in Feene (Feen-ay I think I recall it being pronounced). I sort of side with Atlus on this, because her last name is Glass. So she would have ended up being 'Fine Glass', which I think is the stupider of two evils.

Chlotz is where Atlus apparently got hammered and blacked out. Spike likely gave them 'Clotsurough' because in Japanese his name is Kurotsugu. So you can get an idea of how the pronounciation of that ended up that way. Say Kurotsugu a bunch and start shifting that R sound to L. Fine, whatever. Anyway, the Atlus team responded to 'Clotsurough/Kurotsuru' with 'ugh. No, that's got to change'. So they shortened that and adjusted the spelling a bit. I can see the thought process of how Chlotz eventually came into being knowing what his Japanese is.

However, WHY DON'T YOU JUST CALL HIM KURO? The Atlus guy brought up the fact that the characters mostly have western sounding names, but there are still some Japanese names in the game (Fuuko/Narika), so it's not like 'Kuro' would have stood out.

What makes it even more baffling is that we'll learn next update that Chlotz and Fuuko grew up relatively close by to each other in the world (a far east country no less). It just blows my mind that Atlus USA of all companies would have made a decision like that. This is like a 8 years after Persona 3 released and started bring that series into greater prominance in the west. They had plenty of experience handling Japanese names and localizing.

megane posted:

There's nothing wrong with the font per se, it's just that it was kerned by Lucifer, Prince of Darkness.

You said this was ported from the Vita or something, right? My guess is they tuned it for the Vita, then put in a more HD font and didn't bother fixing the spacing and alignment. Lots of HD ports have that sort of slapdash look to them, though this case is impressively bad.

Ported is a strong word. I originally talked about it in the intro but had to cut it to stop the OP from being a big wall of text.

The Steam version that I'm playing for this LP is the Vita version. If they did do any actual work porting this to PC then it sure as hell doesn't show. The 3D parts of the game are a blurry mess because the smallest you can resize the window still results in the game being stretched out to a size twice that of a Vita screen.

I use a Dualshock 4, so maybe it isn't supported, but the game doesn't auto recognize a gamepad. I had to bind keyboard keys to the DS4 through Big Picture mode to get it to work. WASD is movement, E and Q rotate the camera or switch tabs, Up and Down arrows adjust camera angle, left Ctrl key is the Sony equivalent of Square. X key is Triangle I think. Backspace is Circle, Enter is Cross. It's all over the place. There are no options added to the Options menu for stuff like graphics quality, resolution, or keybinding.

They did no work on this from what I can tell. They ripped the Vita version and dumped in the raw video files. That's it.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 3, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
... Fine Glass? Is she gonna be the rich lady? I think I'll have to wait until they all show up before I vote after all.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Dr. Snark posted:

While I agree that Homura/Pyra is great and I prefer Pyra, alot of the name changes are baffling.

Some of them get randomly changed from a shinto god to a western god of similar roles(Kagatsuchi/Brighid), from a food they are associated with to random letters stringed together(Musubi/Vess), to equally baffling but nothing in common names(Meliph/Morag). Theres also the removal of the main Titans being the 7 Sins in Latin and the removal of 3 of The 4 Symbols that are the most baffling since those are like Top 10 Coolest Naming Schemes based on how much they get used.

I'm playing right now, so uh yeah I'm thinking about this alot.

Edit: Did a bit of research and learned that we did keep the 7 sins, but now each one is the Sin in a different language. Thats actually really cool, and if I didnt really like theme naming being more organized I'd say its an improvement.

megane posted:

Nope, same font.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 3, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Psycho Knight posted:

Okay, so I was going to save it for a future update, but I can still pop it in here.

According to one of the people from Atlus localization, Spike Chunsoft had already romanized the names for the characters a little. So in Feene and Chlotz's case, Spike ran up to them like a grade schooler proud of their art class project and presented 'Fine' and 'Clotsurough'.

Now for 'Fine', Atlus just kind of altered the look of the name to match the sound, resulting in Feene (Feen-ay I think I recall it being pronounced). I sort of side with Atlus on this, because her last name is Glass. So she would have ended up being 'Fine Glass', which I think is the stupider of two evils.

Chlotz is where Atlus apparently got hammered and blacked out. Spike likely gave them 'Clotsurough' because in Japanese his name is Kurotsugu. So you can get an idea of how the pronounciation of that ended up that way. Say Kurotsugu a bunch and start shifting that R sound to L. Fine, whatever. Anyway, the Atlus team responded to 'Clotsurough/Kurotsuru' with 'ugh. No, that's got to change'. So they shortened that and adjusted the spelling a bit. I can see the thought process of how Chlotz eventually came into being knowing what his Japanese is.

However, WHY DON'T YOU JUST CALL HIM KURO? The Atlus guy brought up the fact that the characters mostly have western sounding names, but there are still some Japanese names in the game (Fuuko/Narika), so it's not like 'Kuro' would have stood out.

What makes it even more baffling is that we'll learn next update that Chlotz and Fuuko grew up relatively close by to each other in the world (a far east country no less). It just blows my mind that Atlus USA of all companies would have made a decision like that. This is like a 8 years after Persona 3 released and started bring that series into greater prominance in the west. They had plenty of experience handling Japanese names and localizing.

Ohhhhhh, so it's like that. That explains a lot.

Yeah, in my experience when the Japanese devs try to localize names before western translators can get to them and they go "you have to stick with this" there's a pretty decent chance that the "translated" name will sound just a bit silly.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

... Fine Glass? Is she gonna be the rich lady? I think I'll have to wait until they all show up before I vote after all.

I see no signs of drill twintails or her having that laugh. We'll see if someone else fits that mold better.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like if the choices on the table are "Fine Glass" and "Feene Glass" it might be time for a quick brainstorming meeting.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Feene Grass could work with the urban dictionary definition of Feene. Just have her be all 420 blaze it all day erry day.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm almost positive I've seen the name Feene elsewhere, but who knows this games so blurry I might have 2 separate recollections of it.

Let's call her Lass Genefe.That's the best anagram I could make, I'm sorry.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
I'd have to check the original, but I'd guess the standard romanization schemes actually give Fine (assuming ふぃね) and it is actually sorta pronounced fee-ne.

Alternately it could've had a different reading in Japanese and the translators were drunk, but when I went to type that hiragana the auto-formatting thingy actually did suggest fine.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

namehereguy posted:

I'd have to check the original, but I'd guess the standard romanization schemes actually give Fine (assuming ふぃね) and it is actually sorta pronounced fee-ne.

Alternately it could've had a different reading in Japanese and the translators were drunk, but when I went to type that hiragana the auto-formatting thingy actually did suggest fine.

That is her name in the Japanese version. It's just a case of Japanese naming having unintentionally funny interpretations outside of the country. Again, I understand why Atlus changed this, even if Feene isn't entirely on point as a name. At the very least they kept it close to the original Japanese while still avoiding a character being named 'Fine Glass'.

Dr. Snark posted:

Ohhhhhh, so it's like that. That explains a lot.

Yeah, in my experience when the Japanese devs try to localize names before western translators can get to them and they go "you have to stick with this" there's a pretty decent chance that the "translated" name will sound just a bit silly.

I see no signs of drill twintails or her having that laugh. We'll see if someone else fits that mold better.

God I hate that laugh so much. I haven't kept up on anime over the past 7 or 8 years, but I have still played a lot of JRPG's, so I've run into that character archetype. I think the last time was Luna from Megaman: Starforce. They are almost always Tsundere's too, which I loving loathe (the list of Tsundere characters I like can be counted on one hand. A hand that's missing three fingers).

Anyway, that's the general explanation for why we have to suffer with a character named Chlotz for the duration of this game. I actually still have a little more to say on the matter, but that part will be saved for a future update. It's not so much additional context, more of an observation about the character and why Chlotz isn't a fitting name even if it were legitimate.

So, battle update... update. It's been like 4 years since I originally played this game and the intro was giving the impression that teaching you about the battle system would be done little by little. I played ahead a bit to get some footage of the first dungeon visit and the game actually gives a neat rundown of everything in slideshow form while refraining from sticking you on rails. So there won't be a need for a battle mini-update after all, since I should be able to explain (mostly) everything at once. With this in mind, I've switched my complete attention to Update 2.

This makes it even more confusing as to why they would sprinkle in the two or three tutorial battles leading up to the first dungeon. The game gives a full breakdown once you actually get to the point where any of it will matter, so why stick in glorified 'Press X to win' tutorials. Baffling decisions all around.

Edit: This is all I got at the moment. I'm not a great image editor person.

I was working on one involving the 'WARNING' tape that overlays the screen when you touch an enemy, and Mattero. That fell apart about halfway through. I've got The Dark ID's on standby if needed.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 3, 2018

Feldherren
Feb 21, 2011
Maybe Chlotz is just a klutz. That's all I've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Feldherren posted:

Maybe Chlotz is just a klutz. That's all I've got.

It's kind of the opposite, which is why giving him that name makes even less sense. Anyway, I'll get to it in the Database update.

Update 2 is coming later tonight. All that needs to be done is upload the screenshots and pop them in.

Then try and make the links all work. :negative: I've had a suspiciously hard time in getting that code to cooperate.