Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

RoastBeef posted:

For FOX/CBS games all the commentary is on the center channel, so if you mute it you get just crowd noise. ESPN usually spreads it across the front three channels, so this doesn't work for MNF.

That is awesome thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Play posted:

Announcers need to talk about coverages, blocking and pass rushing schemes, and routes a bit more. Tell us something we wouldn't necessarily notice on our own. But most of it is just literally what we can all see happening on the screen sprinkled with some cliches about big third downs and how "they really need to get points out of this drive." No loving poo poo they need to get points

I would absolutely adore more explanations for 'why setting a soft edge instead of a hard edge allowed whats-his-face running back to get outside and get 20'

but no

TIGHT ENDS

BASKETBALL PLAYERS

IN COLLEGE

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

RoastBeef posted:

For FOX/CBS games all the commentary is on the center channel, so if you mute it you get just crowd noise. ESPN usually spreads it across the front three channels, so this doesn't work for MNF.

I''ll be damned. That's great info. I've been wondering why "sports" mode on my soundbar didn't work on those two channels for a very long time.

On topic, I long for the days when game commentary wasn't just hot takes on current events in sports/culture and horribly overused cliches strung together.

AT THE END OF THE DAY...

HE'S REALLY PLAYING WITH A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER...

Then again I actively avoid watching sports when I'm not working these days.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Football on tv without announcers is weird and kinda unnerving

What do I do between plays if I can’t complain about the announcing????

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

wyoak posted:

Football on tv without announcers is weird and kinda unnerving

What do I do between plays if I can’t complain about the announcing????

I have the Lions game playing on my large TV, muted, and I play Redzone on my tablet with the sound connected to a soundbar.

I love me some Hanson.

And it doesn't detract from the Lions game at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah sometimes you can just do without it. I'll often have on music or npr while I watch games, it's not like you can't see and understand for yourself what's happening in the game

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

*Gronk makes a catch close to the sideline. It is called a catch and challenged*

"I don't think that's a catch. That's not a catch guys"

*Call is too close to overturn the decision on the field*

"See in big moments, Gronk is always making catches like that"

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
so Witten's gotta be the worst color commentator going, right?

Legit question because i'm sure there's a dude worse than him but i'm blanking on it right now.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

I wish Orlovsky would start up his own real-time commentary on Lions games.

I'd fuckin' watch that.

Alternately, make Romo call all games

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Durandal1707 posted:

so Witten's gotta be the worst color commentator going, right?

Legit question because i'm sure there's a dude worse than him but i'm blanking on it right now.

I hated Billic and I hate Fouts. I mute the TV when they annoy me, which is always, so I can't remember if they are color or not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eifert Posting posted:

I hated Billic and I hate Fouts. I mute the TV when they annoy me, which is always, so I can't remember if they are color or not.

They are bad, but Witten is so much worse.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Fouts is real bad but I’ve become desensitized to him over the years. Witten is bad and new.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I haven't watched much Monday night football this year but there's absolutely no color to Witten. He just describes exactly what happened 6 seconds ago. It's like instead of a color commentator, having a second play by play guy on a tape delay.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wyoak posted:

Fouts is real bad but I’ve become desensitized to him over the years. Witten is bad and new.

Fouts is not good but at least not this bad, I don't think Witten is annoying us because he's a new voice that is bad. I think he's just annoying us because he's terrible.

It is possible that he could become somewhat better with more experience, but...go get that experience calling preseason games for the Cowboys or something and not every damned week on MNF. Or just go away forever.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's unbelievable that we're at a point now where Troy Aikman passes for middle of the road, or maybe even slightly above average. I don't remember a single thing Troy Aikman has ever said (he probably doesn't either), and that's totally acceptable compared to a lot of his peers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Eifert Posting posted:

Sounds like someone’s giving the NFL money!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Aikman has been pretty good this season, at least for me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Aikman has been pretty good this season, at least for me.

Yeah, I don't hate Joe Buck either. They're merely middle of the road at this point.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Aikman and Buck have always been okay and not bad in my opinion.

I really, really hated Mike Mayock but can never really articulate why

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Jesse Palmer

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Quiet Feet posted:

I haven't watched much Monday night football this year but there's absolutely no color to Witten. He just describes exactly what happened 6 seconds ago. It's like instead of a color commentator, having a second play by play guy on a tape delay.

Also he's wearing glasses that turn every skill position guy into a tight end.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Aikman is horribly judgmental and a blatant homer for the Cowboys. Him and Joe Buck will spend every broadcast sucking off Zeke's dick. Neither are color commentators and it feels like they both love poo poo talking the team who has the worse record in the matchup. It's not really evident unless you've watched a ton of Cowboys/Giants games.

Also neither ever talk X's and O's. They both love ESPN storylines and will bring them up ad nauseum throughout the entire broadcast. You'll never get an analysis of a play beyond what happened, just that ODB headbutted a net or something equally as irrelevant. Aikman is also huge into talking about intangibles and will come up with a variety of reasons why someone's doing good or bad, all usually related to things that have nothing to do with football. For a guy who almost threw as many INTs as TDs and had more turnovers than TDs throughout his career he loves demonizing any QB who misses a throw. That's all nitpicking though. The big problem is they're both boring as gently caress.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Doltos posted:

Aikman is horribly judgmental and a blatant homer for the Cowboys. Him and Joe Buck will spend every broadcast sucking off Zeke's dick. Neither are color commentators and it feels like they both love poo poo talking the team who has the worse record in the matchup. It's not really evident unless you've watched a ton of Cowboys/Giants games.

Also neither ever talk X's and O's. They both love ESPN storylines and will bring them up ad nauseum throughout the entire broadcast. You'll never get an analysis of a play beyond what happened, just that ODB headbutted a net or something equally as irrelevant. Aikman is also huge into talking about intangibles and will come up with a variety of reasons why someone's doing good or bad, all usually related to things that have nothing to do with football. For a guy who almost threw as many INTs as TDs and had more turnovers than TDs throughout his career he loves demonizing any QB who misses a throw. That's all nitpicking though. The big problem is they're both boring as gently caress.

There's no way Troy remembers even 1/4 of the games he played at this point.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I feel like this is how his interview went

"Okay Witten. Congrats on your career, first of all. As a white former-Cowboy, you have a built in following. Combine that with Romo's success, and this is really more of a formality."
"I hear what you guys are saying loud and clear. Romo, see when I was a Tight End, Romo threw the ball to me. I was a uh, what you'd call uh, I was a Tight End on that team when I played for the Cowboys."
"This formality, we just need you to say one sentence into the camera right here. Pretend you'll be saying it to your eventual co-star. We tape it, we send it up, they give it the Rubber Stamp, and you're on TV every Monday night. It just goes "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."
"Pretend this is the camera?"
"You.. You don't pretend that part. The camera is right here. You pretend you're talking to Joe and you say repeat the simple sentence I just gave you. Quick stuff, Witt. Done in a minute then we can go for drinks."
"Alright, I think I'm getting you. It's like when you gotta call an audible in the redzone and get that pass to the Tight End in the flat. Here we go boys. So this quick brown uh, fox, Tess, He plays for the Browns and they need to shore up that quarterback situation. I watch those games Jess and uh, I mean you need to be able to run those sneaks on close 3rd down conversion situations. You don't want to make it "third and manageable", you want to get the first down on Second Down. That's why you throw to the Tight End, dual Tight End sets and you then they'd throw it to me, in the flat. That way you can get those 3rd downs where you only have a few yards to go. That's how you move the ball down the field, Tess."
"Perfect, as always, Witt. Let's rap this poo poo up and do some cocaine."

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I just hate Joe Buck and Troy Aikman because they sound almost exactly the same. It's like listening to one of those radio commercials with just one guy with an annoying voice talking.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Aikman is also huge into talking about intangibles and will come up with a variety of reasons why someone's doing good or bad, all usually related to things that have nothing to do with football. For a guy who almost threw as many INTs as TDs and had more turnovers than TDs throughout his career he loves demonizing any QB who misses a throw. That's all nitpicking though. The big problem is they're both boring as gently caress.

Oh man you are spot on with this. Aikman is just . . . he's tolerable, and I do like him better now that I've had to sit through Monday Night Football, but he does this poo poo all the time. And each time it's a more outlandish scenario than the last. To him football is more like a long-running sitcom than a physical competition, and that's how he thinks of it.

He also gets this faux-concerned thing going on whenever a team is losing or not performing well where he bemoans everything about that team in this weird voice that he does. Everything else is just tired cliches.

All that being said, he's not the worst at all. He's very comfortable because I basically know exactly what to expect at any given moment

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's a terrifying thought. Be wary of any time your team wins the Super Bowl because those fleeting years of glory might come at the cost of you having to listen to a bullshit broadcast for decades from a guy whose only qualification is he has a ring

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I miss that guy who used to scream all the time and was on Madden. Run away from the cops guy.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Replace ESPN commentators with the madden play by play commentator system

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coolwhoami posted:

Replace ESPN commentators with the madden play by play commentator system

I'm not seeing any significant drop off in quality from doing exactly that. I mean, an algorithm could easily analyze video feed, identify players and play calls, calculate downs and distances and then spit out the football cliche most relevant to the situation

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This player is just so
*analyze skin tone*
[Scrappy/freakish]
And
[smart/instinctual].

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Eifert Posting posted:

This player is just so
*analyze skin tone*
[Scrappy/freakish]
And
[smart/instinctual].

They'll have to add in a hair curl variable thanks to Mahomes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

On a positive note, I'm loving Bruce Arians in the booth. Really hope he starts doing that full time because he's good. A lot more laid back style than Romo but he notices things that most announcers don't.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I think that’s the most frustrating thing about Witten. All the newer guys are generally good because they have been involved in scheming and aren’t relying on their knowledge from decades ago. But Witten hasn’t even been retired a year and it’s all white noise

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Romo has used his broadcast career to very indirectly suggest that he was the lone smart guy propping up a Cowboys organization full of morons.

Witten has... not disproved... this thesis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ungratek posted:

I think that’s the most frustrating thing about Witten. All the newer guys are generally good because they have been involved in scheming and aren’t relying on their knowledge from decades ago. But Witten hasn’t even been retired a year and it’s all white noise

Romo is also probably one of those guys who will constantly study film in the offseason to make sure he keeps on top of the game. He made his mark as being so in tune with the game he can predict things, and if he ruins that reputation he's in trouble.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The thing I hate about Aikman and a few of the other former QBs who do color is that it's never the QBs fault. Romo from what I've heard so far doesn't sound as bad as the others, but I swear Aikman will watch a QB throw into double coverage while 2 other WRs are wide open and the WR still almost makes the catch with 2 guys dragging him down and he'll be like "You gotta make those catches!"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

syzpid posted:

The thing I hate about Aikman and a few of the other former QBs who do color is that it's never the QBs fault. Romo from what I've heard so far doesn't sound as bad as the others, but I swear Aikman will watch a QB throw into double coverage while 2 other WRs are wide open and the WR still almost makes the catch with 2 guys dragging him down and he'll be like "You gotta make those catches!"

That got me the other night with Witten. Some sixth round rookie TE was put on a 1 on 1 deep fade route and tried to make a diving one handed grab in the endzone. He was like "all these kids trying to go up with one hand, go up with two, you go up with two there you get the catch".

First Witten can't act like he ever ran a loving deep sideline fade route. Second the guy went up one handed because he was sprinting as fast he could to cover 25 yards on a three step drop and still almost made the catch, ya dingus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

That got me the other night with Witten. Some sixth round rookie TE was put on a 1 on 1 deep fade route and tried to make a diving one handed grab in the endzone. He was like "all these kids trying to go up with one hand, go up with two, you go up with two there you get the catch".

First Witten can't act like he ever ran a loving deep sideline fade route. Second the guy went up one handed because he was sprinting as fast he could to cover 25 yards on a three step drop and still almost made the catch, ya dingus

If the ball is high or far too, you can get your arm way further extended if you turn your shoulders and use one arm. If you stretch out both neither will reach the ball sometimes.